British Ambassador loss ??

lawrence Croxford
22nd May 2009, 16:08
Hi, Can any body help a newboy to this webb site, scanning through I saw a remark about the LOSS of the British Ambassador, and as I served on this ship in the latter part of 1961 I was unaware she had been lost as apposed to being broken up can anybody shed any light on this, many thanks L.Croxford.

K urgess
22nd May 2009, 17:46
According to Miramar she foundered while under tow in January 1975
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/95784

randcmackenzie
22nd May 2009, 19:01
Do I not remember the engine room flooded due to failure of the main salt water intake stub pipe?

BillH
23rd May 2009, 08:43
14.1.1975: Whilst on a voyage from Ras Tanura to Los Angeles suffered engine room flooding and sank 25.42N 137.19E, 180 miles west of Iwo Jima.

The casualty report did not mention being under tow at the time.

alastairjs
23rd May 2009, 19:35
Gentlemen,
The loss of the British Ambassador has been covered in some detail on the site already. If you click this link you will be able to read the whole story:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/35439
Regards,
Alastair

lawrence Croxford
25th May 2009, 13:27
Can any body confirm or shed light on the following event
I served aboard the Br Consul 1956/57 & Br Duke through 1958 and the Br Oak 1959/60. One of these ships had a very large towing winch aft I dont remember which ship, but I was told that two ships at that time were fitted with these, and that BP held the record for the longest merchant ship tow from Australia to the UK this must have been in the early 50s ..it seems that a BP tanker broke her prop shaft somewhere off austrailia and the company used one of their Two Tankers fitted with the towing winch to do the job, I dont know if they came home through the canal or round the cape, in the back of my mind there seems to be a suggestion that they called in somewhere to load the casualty so that the trip was not a total loss, now maybe this information related to me at the time is correct or it could all be a load of effluent .as I say can anybody shed light on this event..best regards to all .Larry Croxford....