Sink the Yorktown and bring in another ship

shamrock
24th May 2009, 16:30
More here

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/may/24/sink_yorktown_bring_another_ship83462/

Mendi
3rd June 2009, 11:50
What a stupid suggestion!

Klaatu83
4th June 2009, 19:00
Five Kamikazes couldn't sink the Laffey, but the bureaucrats undoubtedly can. As for replacing the Yorktown with a modern nuclear carrier, that makes about as much sense as replacing the USS Constitution, up in Boston, with a modern Perry-class frigate. Just imagine the Royal Navy deciding HMS Victory is getting too old to maintain, and replacing her with a county-class frigate!

Of course, one notable ship has already been removed from Patriots Point, The nuclear-powered merchant ship Savannah.

ssr481
4th June 2009, 19:40
Take out YORKTOWN and sink her?? Typical BS from people who don't give a d**n about historical ships.. I read the article .. don't think I'll ever read any more of the writer's works..

mrcanoehead
8th June 2009, 13:04
kidding .... right! wonder if its about taking her for say...the scrap heap to obtain a pittance.... somone whose a real misguided individual

vchiu
3rd November 2009, 01:00
This is the kind of thinking that prevailed in France.
As a result, we simply don't have any more WW2 era ship existing but in pictures and models.

When scrapped, those won't come back, ever.

viking
3rd November 2009, 16:37
this guy is totally missing the point any old ship simply will not do

Davesdream
22nd December 2009, 18:32
From what i have heard from someone close to the Yorktown problem, they are in the process of looking for a corperate sponsor to help with the huge cost of dry docking the carrier, Apparently the management would not have done nothing to the ship and may have even let the navy take the carrier in the future. This effort is outside the management's so called efforts to save the ship.

Time will tell if this effort was worth it.

Regards
Dave