Port Chalmers

DICK SLOAN
27th May 2009, 16:18
I remember shipping out on the Port Chalmers back in 1980/1 and always remember a story about a whale which got stuck on the bow of the ship' and they apparently went astern to dislodge the whale' but she was sadly dead, doe's anybody have anymore info on this incident .

VTR1000
28th May 2009, 03:48
Happened twice during my time at sea, once crossing the Indian Ocean and the Chief Engineer started complaining about the fuel economy not being what it should be. A few hours later one of the deck boys noticed a 40foot Sperm Whale caught between the bulbous bow and the stem. Had to slow down, go astern to dislodge it. The second time, crossing from Melbourne to Tasmania, same sort of thing but this time a 45foot Southern Wright Whale which is now in some museum in Tasmania.

I have a couple of photos somewhere and I'll try and hunt them down.

Cheers

R396040
28th May 2009, 08:38
Hi,
Remember same thing happening on the MALOJA of P&O in the early 50s but it was a giant ray which had been sunning itself on surface in the Indian Ocean south bound from Aden. Took a lot of time and effort to get it off but a good mornings entertainment & talking point for the 10 Poms bound for OZ.A real sea adventure ........
Stuart H
France

DAVE F
28th May 2009, 08:50
Same thing happened on a Bay Boat,it got stuck and we had to go astern to shake it off