tug owner?

mandy
28th May 2009, 19:26
Hello all
Please forgive me but i am new to computers and very new to research. Being a non technical lady is not helpful but a friends husband who is interested in ships has suggested i ask here. I hope somebody can help me. I am trying to find some info on a very distant relative of mine who family rumour says owned some tugs on the River Thames long ago [pre-1900] The only clue i have is a name of possiblyy N or M Brownfeld or possibly Brownfell. This is a very faded signature on the only surviving page of a letter. Not being sure of the name has made it quite daunting to find facts on the census etc. A very old aunt has told me she seems to remember a doctor of that name in the family being mentioned when she was a child and is also convinced that he was the same man, but surely this seems very unlikely? I would be very grateful if anyone can help me or point me elsewhere, I have had not much luck googling.
Thanks you and apologies if i am in the wrong place
Mandy

K urgess
28th May 2009, 20:55
Welcome aboard, Mandy.
I'm sure someone in the crew will be able to help you.
Meanwhile have a good voyage.

ROBERT HENDERSON
28th May 2009, 21:21
Welcome aboard Mandy. If you go to www.thamestugs.co.uk and click early owners, you will find a Doctor Brownfield mentioned as being in a consortium. He was head surgeon at Poplar hospital.

Regards Robert

MNEWBY
28th May 2009, 21:43
Mandy[/QUOTE]
Hello Mandy
As far as I know there was a BROWNFIELD who owned tugs on the Thames pre 1900.
The tug Lass O'Gowrie 1855 was built in North Shields for Mathew Brownfield of Gravesend.
Also the tug Ulysses in 1874 for a Charles Brownfield
Also the tug Rescue sold to a Dr M Brownfield in 1872
Hope this may be of help
Regards
Mike(Thumb)

mandy
30th May 2009, 21:15
A big thankyou to those who pointed me in the right direction. I am now sure that Dr Brownfield is the right chap and it appears my ancient aunt was right after all. This is a great site and once I got to the Thames Tugs site i found loads of information including tugs he owned and have now found him on the census returns. Thanks again
regards
Mandy.