misc darlington formerly newport bay

enginecadet88
31st May 2009, 00:24
Im a cadet whos just about to go on my second sea trip. My ship is the Misc Darlington which i believe is formerly known as the newport bay. Its a jervis bay class ship.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it or knew any of the crew? Not much stuff available on the net

exsailor
31st May 2009, 11:34
Hello enginecadet88,

'Misc Darlington' IMO 900558 Call sign MQEC7
built as 'Newport Bay' by IHI, Kure, Japan. Completed Jan 1993.
50235 grt, L = 292.2m, B = 32.2m
2006 - renamed Maersk Darlington
2007 - renamed Misc Darlington
ITF website numbers crew at 23 - British 4, Filipino 19.

Dennis.

enginecadet88
31st May 2009, 23:25
anyone happen to know what engine she has???

Cap'n Pete
1st June 2009, 11:48
I am master of the Jervis Bay, now called MSC Almeria.

These ships were the last ships built for P&O Containers and are now beginning to show their age. However, they are excellent ships, particularly for engine cadets as you probably gain experience doing a greater variety of jobs than you would on a new ships.

There is a tendency for cadets and junior officers to poo-poo older tonnage. However, in my experience they visit far more interesting ports than the large modern container ships and you will probably have more fun, both during your working hours and otherwise.

The Jervis Bay class is supposed to be changing back to all British officers. It has on my ship, but I'm not sure what the situation is on MISC Darlington.

Anyway, I wish you a pleasant and safe voyage.

enginecadet88
7th June 2009, 22:08
Thanks for that reply Cap'n Pete.

It seems to be visiting some good places i've never seen before. As soon as i seen the ship was nearly older than me i was skeptical but now it seems to be the best option.

Also, might seem like i'm asking the worst questions but are these ships zero tolerance on alcohol??

P.S. How long does it take before you stop getting excited for going to sea?

MARINEJOCKY
7th June 2009, 22:27
I doubt if there is one old fart on here who would tell you that they would not get excited if we thought we could go back to sea.

You say that you are going off on your second trip, I remember mine like it was yesterday and I am sure in 30+ years you too will remember packing your bags, saying bye to the family and friends and setting off on a new adventure.

Part of going off on different ships was wondering what the ship was going to be like and who you were going to meet plus where you would travel too. We did not have the internet so somebody telling me I was to join the Brandon Priory, a tanker, meant little to me.

If you like a pint have one before you leave and do not let your life be dictated by whether the ship is zero tolerance or not. I partied with the best of them and then did not touch alcohol for 10 years. In that time I became a chief engineer in my mid twenties and never missed alcohol.

Stick in and work hard, enjoy the life and stay safe.

Boseley
10th June 2009, 12:49
Thanks for that reply Cap'n Pete.

P.S. How long does it take before you stop getting excited for going to sea?

The answer is "Never" My first trip was in 1960

Oz.
10th June 2009, 14:09
Delighted to say that I never did sail on a container ship! Absorb the advice given above and note what Cap'n Pete said. Learn your trade, work hard and dont be upset at getting an older ship. Thats where you will learn the skill of being a ships Engineer. And the answer to the question, i agree with all the above, you never get over the excitement! I wish it was me going, but there are over 30,000 people here who wish the same! Good luck !!

bobs
10th June 2009, 23:04
The engine is a nine-cylinder Sulzer 9RTA84C rated 30,970 kW @ 94 rpm (NCR)

enginecadet88
14th June 2009, 14:05
I was talking to someone who sailed on her and they were saying that if its under british top four it will be in good nick but if the eastern bloc have been running it then it will not be in such healthy shape.

Craiglon
30th July 2009, 07:12
Sailed on the ship as a dual officer and a deck officer when she was fairly new a couple of times. Had a couple of really voyages with a great old man. A great class of ship far better than the Oriental Bay & Peninsular Bay Vessels (same hull) which preceeded it, nicer accommodation, slightly faster, better bridge fit, have fun lapping in leaky fire hydrants though, as this was a big problem with the class, though I would have hoped that they got that sorted. They were some of the biggest and fastest boxboats around at the time, funny when you compare them with the Emma Maersks of today. The Sulzer RTA is a great engine to work with. If you are taking a few photo's of the vessel would be keen to see them, could use them in some training presentations. Have a great trip though, what run is she on at the moment?
Cheers Craig