The PNG Islands

kwg
6th June 2009, 09:53
Nostalgia - Almost smell the copra...

www.pngbd.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/4178/sort/1/cat/510/page/1

Johnnietwocoats
10th June 2009, 06:51
And the Copra Beatles in the bread...The deep tank cleaning......And the thought of finally heading home after 18 months......

Gareth Jones
10th June 2009, 12:01
and the copra beatles in bed ! I used to watch them walk along my skin suddenly stop - bums up head down and nip with their little pincers !!!

Jim Harris
10th June 2009, 12:18
And Samarai!!

An hours leisurely stroll, with enough time to pick up the shells,
was enough time to walk around the whole island!

What a paradise.(Hippy)

I wonder what it's like now?

Regards,

Jim.

Abbeywood.
27th September 2009, 03:46
And Samarai!!

An hours leisurely stroll, with enough time to pick up the shells,
was enough time to walk around the whole island!

What a paradise.(Hippy)

I wonder what it's like now?

Regards,

Jim.

Did you ever pop in to the Power-house. When I was there it was absolutely spotless and 4 ? x 8 cyl. Ruston & Hornsby generators. Quite impressive for such a small island.

Waighty
1st April 2010, 11:57
Kieta was an absolute dump - the indigenious (spelt wrong I'm sure) population had an alarming habit of racing out of the jungle and smashing up the shops!

John Dryden
1st April 2010, 20:50
I have nothing but fond memories of PNG.Joined the Olivebank 41 years ago on this very day and loaded general for PNG.The ports were Port Moresby,Lae,Madang,Wewak,Kavieng,Rabaul,Ringhi Cove,Honiara and Noumea.Had loads of fun on the ships dinghy and lifeboat exploring.Trip was 13 months 8 days,2weeks leave and I was on the Gowanbank heading back to PNG again.Memorable indeed.

David E
1st April 2010, 23:06
I have nothing but fond memories of PNG.Joined the Olivebank 41 years ago on this very day and loaded general for PNG.The ports were Port Moresby,Lae,Madang,Wewak,Kavieng,Rabaul,Ringhi Cove,Honiara and Noumea.Had loads of fun on the ships dinghy and lifeboat exploring.Trip was 13 months 8 days,2weeks leave and I was on the Gowanbank heading back to PNG again.Memorable indeed.

Vavau 1949-Totally unspoiled-slow approach up the long Bay.Beautiful

David E

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2010, 09:00
Not PNG but on the same theme - I always set course when possible as 2/0 between the islands of Bora Bora in mid Pacific. The fascination of the islands and peaks closing, and on occasions, the water becoming lighter blue as it shallowed, and the offshore boats as we passed through - magical.

Believe now there is an air strip and hoards more of tourists to contend with. Probably still a beautiful place.....

johnb42
3rd April 2010, 01:19
Apia 1968,
Took a needed break from making cargo plans (numerous copies, airmail jobs etc) walked down the jetty for a breather, young lady falls in step with me, talk some, walk some more, hold hands, end up on the beach. Yes it really did happen even if I find it hard to believe these days.

johnb42
3rd April 2010, 01:22
OK, so Apia is not PNG but it was still a great place.

Abbeywood.
4th April 2010, 05:55
While not wishing to appear as 'nit-picking. I would point out, (John Dryden), that Noumea is not in PNG, but in, as was then, French New Caledonia.
Please enlighten me as to the whereabouts of Ringhi Cove.
Going back to Rabaul, (New Britain), there was an 'ex-pat' beach-master who was responsible for the discharging and loading. when there were two 'berth's, one of which was a sunken Japanese ship which had been trimmed down with a 'gas-axe', or three.
The guy I'm thinking of usually wore 'empire-builder' shirt/shorts, (grey), with socks de riguer
He wore a battered sweat-stained trilby, and had a goatee beard, his demeanour was that of being a somewhat miserable b------ but actually was'nt too bad at all.
Can any of you ' copra men' put a name to him ?
He actually had lived in my hometown for a while, about a couple of hundred YARDS from me, but his name still escapes me.

Ben Masey
4th April 2010, 06:53
While not wishing to appear as 'nit-picking. I would point out, (John Dryden), that Noumea is not in PNG, but in, as was then, French New Caledonia.
Going back to Rabaul, (New Britain), there was an 'ex-pat' beach-master who was responsible for the discharging and loading. when there were two 'berth's, one of which was a sunken Japanese ship which had been trimmed down with a 'gas-axe', or three.
The guy I'm thinking of usually wore 'empire-builder' shirt/shorts, (grey), with socks de riguer
He wore a battered sweat-stained trilby, and had a goatee beard, his demeanour was that of being a somewhat miserable b------ but actually was'nt too bad at all.
He actually had lived in my hometown for a while, about a couple of hundred YARDS from me, but his name still escapes me.

Pat Roberts,
regards,
Ben Masey

K urgess
4th April 2010, 11:40
Definitely Pat Roberts. Pictured (fuzzy detail from a slide) facing the camera in the attached with Captain Alan Newton at Toboi (I think).
Also the wreck wharf (Komaki Maru) survived the latest volcano eruption.

John Dryden
4th April 2010, 13:22

You are correct Abbeywood,just laziness on my part lumping other islands onto PNG.As for Ringi Cove(correct spelling)it is on Kolombangara Island,Solomon Islands.I have a journal I kept and it says we stopped off at Gizo Harbour to be granted free pratique and then had another 4 hours steaming to Ringi Cove.I mentioned it on another thread under the Bank Line heading,Places We,ve Been To,post #163.
Cheers,John.

Abbeywood.
7th April 2010, 15:21
You are correct Abbeywood,just laziness on my part lumping other islands onto PNG.As for Ringi Cove(correct spelling)it is on Kolombangara Island,Solomon Islands.I have a journal I kept and it says we stopped off at Gizo Harbour to be granted free pratique and then had another 4 hours steaming to Ringi Cove.I mentioned it on another thread under the Bank Line heading,Places We,ve Been To,post #163.
Cheers,John.

Many thanks John.
Sorry to have been a pain, but now I know where to look on the map.
ATB, Pete' Lambert, (4th/ Eastbank, - 3rd/ Marabank)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
7th April 2010, 16:29

Apologies for butting into a Bank Line thread as a CNCo man, but I think you mean Geoff McKenzie?

Owner of Rabaul Stevedores, and said to have been the youngest Allied submarine commander in WW2.

Inventor of the RBlift, etc.

Alan Rawlinson
8th April 2010, 17:44
Apologies for butting into a Bank Line thread as a CNCo man, but I think you mean Geoff McKenzie?

Owner of Rabaul Stevedores, and said to have been the youngest Allied submarine commander in WW2.

Inventor of the RBlift, etc.

Hallo Andrew, and a warm welcome to the Bankline sub thread.... Quite lively here, but pure nostalgia, of course!

Re the Rabaul stevedores - my guess is that as we are trying to span 40 or 50 years even, that the debate is about more than one individual. I am one of the older guard from the 50's Bankline and still have clear recollections of the character mentioned in this thread, and the bloke I knew ( whose name I regretfully cannot recall) would not have lasted too long at the pace he was going when I visited on the Ernebank in 1953, and berthed alongside the Jap wreck berth. . It was a glorious hazy time with loads of laughs and alcoholic fuelled ventures ashore... Like everyone I have snatches of special moments ( magic moments?) and in Rabaul one night - bizarrely - I staggered across a field in the dark - trying to get back to the ship ( like you do) and came across a Chinese Opera in full blast, brightly lit stage and full costumes. Even though I was the worse for wear, it was gripping stuff, and it gave me a lifelong appreciation.

Cheers

K urgess
8th April 2010, 18:00
I can't for the life of me remember the head stevedore's name. (Sad)
The one that was there in the late 60s and early 70s.
I knew him quite well and recall that he had a "spread" in Queensland somewhere.
Did a roaring trade in Japanese and Allied artefacts. He had a stash of Willys jeeps out in the jungle somewhere and used to bring them in one at a time to do up and flog.
He gave me my choice of Japanese helmets from a sack full of them and I sold him a couple of items I had. A WWI German pioneer bayonet and a Royal Artillery dress sword if I remember right.
I'm almost sure it was Bruce or Barry or something similair.

david_crosby
8th April 2010, 22:38
Apologies for butting into a Bank Line thread as a CNCo man, but I think you mean Geoff McKenzie? Owner of Rabaul Stevedores.

As an addendum to your apology ....
........ and in Madang the stevedore was Hec(tor) Longmore. Anzac Day 1964 he lost his wife for a night and his car playing two-up.
..... then there was "Walkabout" Jack in Kavieng. He'd block the N-S road with a grader so no cargo could get to the wharf and go on a bender for a day or so.
...... Samarai, the whole island would come down and make merry with our "packet" licence and we'd go up and drink the Westpac (Bank) Managers frig. dry.

Glory days.

John Dryden
8th April 2010, 23:34
I think it was in Port Moresby when I was on cargo watch the stevedore informed me that we were getting a visit from some tribesmen who lived in the hills.I think he said they rarely come into town and are heavily armed,he also said whatever you do don,t upset them,let them walk about on the ship and have a look.At first I thought he was winding me up but sure enough they turned up.
They certainly were heavily armed,spears,bows and arrows native dress and bones of all sizes and shapes through nose and ear.Anyway they wandered about for a half hour or so and then went away.It was funny really because I couldn,t stop staring at them and they kept staring at me,both cultures fascinated I guess.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
13th April 2010, 15:27
I thought I could resolve the Rabaul issue by getting a photo of Geoff McKenzie, but I can't find one and neither (surprisingly) can CNCo's Archivist.
So I've drawn a blank.

kwg
15th April 2010, 14:47
Mid 1960's, Wewak I think, one of those one berth jetties where the jungle is just a few yards from the sea...sweltering mid afternoon when 100's of fully kitted Australian soldiers stealthily emerge along the beach out of the jungle, a few minutes later, just as silently return to the jungle...

rcraig
15th April 2010, 22:35
You had no Foster's?

IBlenkinsopp
16th April 2010, 09:20
I remember SP 'Greenies' & 'Brownies', always thought this had something to do with the resulting colour of bodily functions, also the slogan for San Mig beer ' Me lika one fella more'
Ah well back to teaching 11Z

Eddie Bl.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
16th April 2010, 11:05
Don't recall Fosters in PNG. All I recall was SP, and our (CNCo) ships carried San Mig (after all, we carried the hops for it from NZ!)

China hand
19th April 2010, 18:20
I remember SP 'Greenies' & 'Brownies', always thought this had something to do with the resulting colour of bodily functions, also the slogan for San Mig beer ' Me lika one fella more'
Ah well back to teaching 11Z

Eddie Bl.

Drinkin SP Lager is like makin love in a lakatoi: they both fu**ing near to water(==D)

Waighty
25th August 2010, 23:17

Ringi Cove or Kolombangara was one of the Solomon Islands to the NW of Guadalcanal. Anchor port only, small ex-pat community. We offloaded heavy machinery there on Meadowbank.

pete
26th August 2010, 09:04
Somewhere in my collection of Memorabilia I have the original "Chart"of Kolombangara which I shall scan and publish ASAP................pete

ernhelenbarrett
26th August 2010, 11:27
Way back in 57 I was on Tweedbank/GBYC we did the PNG run Moresby, Samarai, Lae , Madang, Wewak. Kavieng and Rabaul, I ended up doing the Sked between Kavieng- Rabaul as the R/O went walkabout, Latern when employed by AWA I sailed on Burns Philp ships Moresby/VJKL and Montoro/GVKG up to the Islands and berthed at the Wreck Wharf in Rabaul many times as the Main wharf was mainly used for the passenger ship Bulolo/VJPB, was there when the new main concrete wharf was first built to be officially opened by Bulolo and as she headed straight for the wharf, rang astern on the engine ...which DID NOT happen!!! Was a laugh to see the Police band, ladies in floppy hats, and local dignatories making a hasty retreat as Bulolo ploughed into the Wharf!! Had a good laugh about it at the Cosmo Hotel that night, dunno if it was the usual volcanic tremors or the SP that made us wobble. By the way, when I was at PortMoresbyRadio/VIG the local brew was SP but as the Lolaki river got shallower in the dry season you got a browner brew and more twigs in the beer! We could always fall back on the VB, Reichs beer was hopeless, it didnt last in the tropics!!
Ern Barrett. By the Way , I managed to walk round Samarai in 32 minutes, could be I had a girlfriend who worked at Steamships at the time!!!

Ben Masey
26th August 2010, 15:14
I thought I could resolve the Rabaul issue by getting a photo of Geoff McKenzie, but I can't find one and neither (surprisingly) can CNCo's Archivist.
So I've drawn a blank.

Could have been Gerry Squires,he was the bearded stevedore in Rabaul for many years.
Ben Masey

Alistair Macnab
26th August 2010, 16:17
I think the question of names can be resolved when we bring the names Jerry Squires Stevedore Boss of his own company and John Mackenzie, Marine Superintendent for Bank Line into the same message. Both admirable men, both bearded and, shall we say, well set up physically? Perhaps the identity problem lies in their physical description?

Mark FRANKLING
16th December 2011, 11:15
Hi Everybody!!!

My father, Roger E Frankling was employed by Rabaul Stevedores at the Kieta Wharf (1981-1989). He was the "Assistant Manager". My Dad would "enjoy" a "cup of tea" & "chat" with John Fieldhouse,(Burns & Philip Shipping Agent), & Captain Vic Fisher "Lae Chief" and also with his good friend the Legendary Mr Bob Strong who was the "Transport Manager" at Rabaul Stevedores. Bob Strong was also the manager of the Toboroi plantation. I am looking for the "complete" list of ships that sailed to Bougainville in the 1980's. It is very hard to find the head office address for Rabaul Stevedores. I am also looking for "old" photos/postcards/great memories... ( I am his eldest son!!!)

Sadly Roger passed away on the Isle of Wight U.K (2001).

Kind regards

Mark FRANKLING [FRANCE]

Waighty
19th March 2012, 20:50
Don't recall Fosters in PNG. All I recall was SP, and our (CNCo) ships carried San Mig (after all, we carried the hops for it from NZ!)

SP was a good brew. I seem to recall drinking a lot of it at the beach club in Madang, the name of the place escapes me, when time allowed. My other favourite antipodean brew was VB - a lovely blend of lager and IPA, in flavour anyway, if not in intent.

I also seem to remember Anchor in PNG.(Pint)

dave boy green
14th November 2013, 18:08
Was it Gus Kuster. I spent some time with him in Rabaul in 1960. Not sure what his job was but he was always around the ship. Had a great day on the p**s on Anzac Day with him. He drove into the water instead of onto the jetty. Very funny at the time

dave boy green
14th November 2013, 18:11
Was it Gus Kuster. I spent some time with him in Rabaul in 1960. Not sure what his job was but he was always around the ship. Had a great day on the p**s on Anzac Day with him. He drove into the water instead of onto the jetty. Very funny at the time