Blowing for Tugs

graysonlad
9th June 2009, 12:22
There is an expression in use in the Mersey side area of "blowing for tugs".When used in a conversational manner it has become to mean "I am out of breath".
In the marine sense going back to the 40's/50s how did vessels call for assistance in the Mersey i.e Blow for tugs.
As a youngster I can recall the times when tugs of various companies dashing up and down the river looking for towing business. But what whistle signals were used to attract attention?

Old Janner
9th June 2009, 13:03
There is an expression in use in the Mersey side area of "blowing for tugs".When used in a conversational manner it has become to mean "I am out of breath".
In the marine sense going back to the 40's/50s how did vessels call for assistance in the Mersey i.e Blow for tugs.
As a youngster I can recall the times when tugs of various companies dashing up and down the river looking for towing business. But what whistle signals were used to attract attention?
Expression "Blowing for tugs " was commonly used when p----d ashore with booze to the eyeballs and needing assistance to get back on board.

BillH
9th June 2009, 13:38
Alexandra Towing produced a book on their history called "Blow Five" which was stated as how vessels called for their tug assistance.

Philthechill
9th June 2009, 17:47
Expression "Blowing for tugs " was commonly used when p----d ashore with booze to the eyeballs and needing assistance to get back on board.I use the "blowing for tugs" expression when I've stuffed meself full of grub, e.g. at Chrimbo, and can't finish the last bit of nosh (usually a pea!!) Salaams, Phil(Hippy)