Sand Weaver

Stevie B
10th June 2009, 10:08
Looks like bad news for the Weaver again, she's been anchored off of Shoreham since Sunday and this morning a tug arrived and towed her away. Ais is showing she's gonig to Southampton.

Dont know what the problem is, main engine i should think but she's had a fair few problems.

billyboy
10th June 2009, 10:24
Bad news indeed. I still have a liking for the Sand Boats having worked on them in the 60's

Stevie B
10th June 2009, 11:40
Not good news at all, i wonder how much longer she'll keep gonig. Mind you after all the money that has been spent on her over the last few months i'm sure they will keep her going. I have heard that the Serin is laid up and for sale, expect she'll go for scrap.

billyboy
10th June 2009, 11:49
Sounds like she needs a new main engine

RayJordandpo
13th June 2009, 07:27
I did a couple of trips on the 'Sand Weaver' and 'Sand Wader' also the 'Sand Lark' quite a few years back. I'm trying to think of the skippers name on the 'Wader'. One of them was from down south but moved up to North Yorkshire. His relief was called Reg and could speak Dutch, having served with a company from the Netherlands. The crew had tee shirts printed "I dredge with Reg" I will have to dig out my old discharge book to find out their names.

billyboy
13th June 2009, 07:34
Wader and Weaver not around in my day i dont think. There was the Martin, Star, runner, Grebe, snipe, lark . I think the Snipe was the newest in the early 60's

Stevie B
13th June 2009, 16:32
When I was on the Wader one of the skippers's name's was Mike Simmons, cant remember who the other one was then

Stevie B
19th June 2009, 10:16
Well the Weaver's problems couldn't of been too bad, she came into Shoreham last night and saied this morning to load then into Southampton.

Gorhol
22nd June 2009, 20:48
Sand Weaver appears to be operating normally, however, Sand Serin has been laid up on the Tees since December 22nd.

It would be a real shame to see this dredger go for scrap. As far as I can tell, she is the only dredger built by Clelands ship builders (1974), most of the other sand boats of her spec were built by J. Bolson & Son, Poole, and those of her generation are still operating, Sand Skua (1971), now Norstone, visits Shoreham regularly. And the Sand Swan (1970) is currently up for sale for the price of 784,000.00

http://www.dredgebrokers.com/Dredges_Hopper/90117-DS/Dredger.html

As Norstone is almost identical to Serin, I wonder if this highlights a difference in build quality between shipyards? Particularly as Serin has had some considerable work done by A&P over the last twelve months.

Regards
Gor

teamardglass
23rd June 2009, 16:48
The Sand Serin has been sold apparently and is due to be delivered to the South Of Ireland in the coming weeks - providing she runs up ok after being laid up otherwise it will be a tug and tow job.
Also - after 35 years+ build quality isn't so much an issue-its more to do with how hard the ships have been worked and how often money has been spent to keep them up to Spec. Dredgers wear quite quickly on deck as they get a 'sand blasting job' every time they load.

Pompeyfan
25th June 2009, 22:43
She is anchored the Isle of Wight at the moment, off the Brook area where she often is. I can see her from my bedroom window before dark and now lit up.

David

teamardglass
2nd July 2009, 19:27
The Serin has had a change of plan and isn't going anywhere for the mo! Class won't let her.
There is a rumour that the Weaver may be laid up due to lack of demand.
So I've heard anyway (*))

peter potts
5th July 2009, 10:24
I,am on dredger on tees was working near sand serin the other day radars were going someone was trying to flash her up. Did,nt go anywhere tho.

peter potts
28th July 2009, 20:24
Sand Serin left Tees today under tow for Waterford

Cobbydale
29th July 2009, 10:58
Sand Serin left Tees today under tow for Waterford

For photos see:http://www.riverseainternational.co.uk/tugs/tenax.htm

Gorhol
30th July 2009, 00:12
Sad stuff seeing her under way in that form, does anyone have any idea what awaits her in Waterford? Also interesting to note her new white stripe painted around her bow and stern.

Regards
Gor

Stevie B
30th July 2009, 07:06
The white lines are for the tug to see if she starts taking water. They do the same with ships that are laid up for a long time, although the lines are normally nearer the waterline.
From Waterford it be an onward sale, either for trading, down in Portugal, Maderai etc, or scrap

Gorhol
17th August 2009, 22:15
Just a quick update on Sand Weaver. Having spent the best part of two weeks moored in Shoreham, she made a delivery at the end of last week to Halls Northfleet, Thames Medway. Over the weekend she then made the journey round the south coast to Avonmouth, Bristol Channel, not a normal port for her.

Regards
Gor

Stevie B
18th August 2009, 10:27
She gone round there for lay up, things looking a bit bleak for her

Gorhol
6th July 2010, 21:52
Nearly a year and Sand Weaver remains laid up at Avonmouth. I cannot believe that Cemex had all that life extending work done on her, at some cost I would imagine, just to lay her up for a year. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Regards
Gor

Stevie B
7th July 2010, 12:29
Word is that Cemex are bring her back into service very soon

G0SLP
7th July 2010, 13:34
I was in Avonmouth last week, rejoining my ship, and the Sand Weaver was definitely 'alive'. They were seen to be testing the lifeboat around the dock on Saturday as well.

Gorhol
14th July 2010, 13:32
A Development, of sorts, this morning. Sand Weaver has moved berths in the dock at Avonmouth, however, Svitzer tugs Brunel and Sky were used to do the move.

Regards
Gor

Degzie
13th September 2010, 14:53
I see that the Sand Weaver has left Avonmouth on the 6th September 10, anyone know where she is off to?
Degzie

Degzie
13th September 2010, 14:56
Answered my own question I have found her in Swansea. Anyone know if she is back in service, Degzie

sandman
14th September 2010, 21:16
she is now sailing down the north coast of cornwall at this time

Tony Shaw
15th September 2010, 18:33
This is just supposition, but she may have called at the drydocks for a bit of a minor beat up, and as the "Sand Harrier" is due for a lengthy 20 year D/D, she may be replacing her fore a while. As it happens, she has just passed Portland Bill, giving destination unknown. The plot thickens. !!!!

Pilot mac
15th September 2010, 19:44
Sand Weaver due in Shoreham in the morning.

It dos'nt seem like two years since you retired Tony, hope all is well with you.

regards Dave Mac.

Tony Shaw
16th September 2010, 14:16
Hello Dave. Yes time passes quickly when you are getting older !! Nice to hear from you - I sent you a couple of messages some while back as I heard you may have sailed in Stricks but I might be confusing you with somebody else. Shoreham port is a bit slack these days isn't it - the place will be silting up. Perhaps that's what the "Weaver" is doing - unsilting the docks. I keep in touch with the lads on Facebook and e-mail etc. Take care Dave and keep in touch.

Pilot mac
17th September 2010, 10:40
berthed Shoreham yesterday and sailing today about 1800

DAve

Glyn Howell
18th November 2010, 17:11
I read with interest the threads regarding Sand Weaver and others. Back in 1970 I was mate/Relief Master on the Sand Wren, Sandlark and Sand Grebe. I went from there to Westminster Gravels to serve on Rockstone and Norstone. The Rockstone usually moored up just inside the docks in Ostend or was it Zeebrugge? Did the Weaver go on up to Brugge? Glyn.

Gorhol
6th October 2011, 12:33
Sand Weaver has been at Teesport since the 12th of August, hopefully this is for a visit to A&P. However, this is exactly how the Sand Serin ended her days.

A shot of her on the day she arrived can be seen here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33603117@N03/6035313699/

Regards
Gor

peter potts
22nd October 2011, 16:10
Sand Weaver was in Tees for refit. Now back out dredging

racco79
11th March 2012, 18:57
Was in Poole yesterday and the Weaver just happened to be there and got a couple of pics.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/KHAINES/026.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/KHAINES/Weaver.jpg

First time for putting pics up so hopefully ok!!

nicaidan
29th October 2012, 21:18
Hi was just browsing the internet looking for pictures of the Sand Weaver, to show my kids the ship their grandad used to work on, and came across this forum.
My dad took me on the ship for two weeks in 1981/82 ish.(health and saftey would have a field day ). The cook was called Dave and i'm sure captain was called Reg. Can't really remember anyone else, i know we joined the ship by Hull We sailed to Hamburg and also went up the river Thames.When we left the ship i was given a wage and discharge note.
Just wondered if anyone remembers malcolm many thanks, Peter.

Stevie B
30th October 2012, 09:06
Rumor has it that the Sand Weaver and Sand Harrier are to be laid up pending sale

Tony Shaw
31st October 2012, 13:17
Heard the same rumour but I think it's something to do with a Dutch firm being interested.

nicaidan
31st October 2012, 20:23
Have got glossy brochure somewhere from when ship was built/ put in service.
Will have to try and dig it out for kids.
Am i right in thinking there was also a Sand Wader.
Believe dad also use to sail into Exmouth on the smaller sand boats in the mid 70s

Stevie B
1st November 2012, 10:30
Have got glossy brochure somewhere from when ship was built/ put in service.
Will have to try and dig it out for kids.
Am i right in thinking there was also a Sand Wader.
Believe dad also use to sail into Exmouth on the smaller sand boats in the mid 70s

Yes, there was a Sand Wader, sailed on it for quite a while in the mid seventies. Can't remember much about it except it was quite slow.
Went down to Madeira I believe and since been scrapped.

pooly1uk
25th November 2012, 22:07
just new to this site and came across this thread, i seen the sand snipe mentioned briefly, I worked on the snipe for a couple of years in 82/83, it was owned then by North Sea Dredging Ltd based in Hartlepool, master at the time was called Dave Smith from Essex, 1st mate / relief master was called Reg, cant remember his surname but was from crawley, wonder if he is the same guy mentioned in other replies to this thread, snipe was scrapped 97 I believe.

Gorhol
4th December 2012, 11:19
Oh dear, both the Sand Weaver and Sand Harrier are up for sale on the Dredge Brokers website. Does this mean that the company are getting new dredgers or closing their yards. It seems to leave a lot of work for the Sand Heron.

A.D.FROST
7th December 2012, 10:21
3 careful owners SAND WEAVER 2m(you must be joking)

Stevie B
7th December 2012, 22:51
Oh dear, both the Sand Weaver and Sand Harrier are up for sale on the Dredge Brokers website. Does this mean that the company are getting new dredgers or closing their yards. It seems to leave a lot of work for the Sand Heron.

No new dredgers, the word is that a Dutch company are going to do a lot of Cemex work.

Gorhol
10th December 2012, 22:13
Well that could see a different boat calling down here at Shoreham. It's a real shame to see the Sand Weaver go but let's at least hope she is sold quickly ans not laid up for long.

sandman
11th December 2012, 11:12
Sand Weaver laid up in Swansea, Sand Harrier due in Swansea on the 12/12/12.

Stevie B
11th December 2012, 11:38
Sand Weaver laid up in Swansea, Sand Harrier due in Swansea on the 12/12/12.

Sand Harrier sailed Southampton yesterday lunchtime, loaded off the West of the Island, now passing Plymouth bound for Swansea and lay up pending sale.

Gorhol
7th January 2013, 00:17
Just noted that the Sand Heron has been moored at an odd berth in Southampton for five days and that the Sand Fulmar is dredging off the south west of the Isle of Wight having delivered at Dover on the way round.

Gorhol
11th January 2013, 00:54
Just to update the thread, Sand Heron remains at her 'unusual' berth in Southampton, Sand Fulmar has now docked in Chatham leaving just Sand Falcon as operational for Cemex for the moment.

Stevie B
11th January 2013, 17:55
Just to update the thread, Sand Heron remains at her 'unusual' berth in Southampton, Sand Fulmar has now docked in Chatham leaving just Sand Falcon as operational for Cemex for the moment.

All three Sand boats are at sea, one sailing down the Solent, one coming down the Channel and the other one off Le Harve.

The Sand Weaver has been sold, price around 1millon, a good buy for somebody considering she's had he best part of 4 million spent on her in the last few years.

Tony Shaw
11th January 2013, 17:56
Don't forget the little "Welsh Piper" !

Gorhol
13th January 2013, 02:13
All three Sand boats are at sea, one sailing down the Solent, one coming down the Channel and the other one off Le Harve.

The Sand Weaver has been sold, price around 1millon, a good buy for somebody considering she's had he best part of 4 million spent on her in the last few years.

Well it seems the short lay-ups may have been seasonal and Sand Her on has just delivered at Shoreham.
Stevie, any idea who has bought Sand Weaver?

Tony, apologies as I do often forget about Welsh Piper doing a great job in the Bristol Channel area.

Stevie B
13th January 2013, 18:59
Well it seems the short lay-ups may have been seasonal and Sand Her on has just delivered at Shoreham.
Stevie, any idea who has bought Sand Weaver?

Tony, apologies as I do often forget about Welsh Piper doing a great job in the Bristol Channel area.

No, rumor has it that she going down the West Coast of Africa ?

Gorhol
14th January 2013, 00:24
No, rumor has it that she going down the West Coast of Africa ?

Cheers Stevie, it will be a shame to see her go but I guess she will work to the very end of her service down that way.

Stevie B
14th January 2013, 22:39
Cheers Stevie, it will be a shame to see her go but I guess she will work to the very end of her service down that way.

Yes, she will end her days in the sun !.

If I hear anything more I'll let you know (Thumb)

Stevie B
23rd January 2013, 19:20
Bit of news on the Weaver, have heard the she's not going to the West Coast of Africa but going to India, to work on the Ganges. Not confirmed though.

Gorhol
24th January 2013, 00:49
Bit of news on the Weaver, have heard the she's not going to the West Coast of Africa but going to India, to work on the Ganges. Not confirmed though.

Cheers Stevie for the update, it's a shame she May be going so far away. And to a country where so many boats end their life beached.

Honeybadger
26th May 2013, 16:54
Sand weaver going to bahrain to continue her life.

sandman
31st May 2013, 17:15
Poss sailing from swansea tomorrow mornings tide.

Stevie B
1st June 2013, 14:51
She's passing Lundy now, AIS showing Malta. Registered St Vincent's @ Grenadines.

Stevie B
6th June 2013, 07:08
Weaver passing south of Faro now

mareng53
11th June 2013, 17:44
Sand Weaver left Malta today , next call Suez due 16th June. She seems to be running well all things considered. Does anybody know if the Sand Harrier has been sold yet or any rumours about her future. I think she is still laid up in Swansea.

p.d.
11th June 2013, 19:08
Can confirm that the Sand Harrier is still in Swansea.

sandman
18th June 2013, 12:55
Sande Harrier left Swansea this morning Bound for Avonmouth.

Stevie B
18th June 2013, 13:40
Sande Harrier left Swansea this morning Bound for Avonmouth.

Wonder why, bit of work crewing etc just to move across the Chanel ?

sandman
18th June 2013, 15:36
Steve, Bristol port has her as laying up.

Stevie B
18th June 2013, 16:41
Steve, Bristol port has her as laying up.

Thanks for that's, perhaps Swansea needed the room.

mareng53
24th June 2013, 12:17
Looks like the Sand Harrier is re-entering service as it appears they are looking for certain officer ranks to join her later in the month. I wonder if there is an increased demand for aggregates right now or is she to be delivered to new owners.

sandman
29th June 2013, 11:49
Sand Harrier running into Bristol channel ports, while the Welsh piper is in Drydock.

Stevie B
29th June 2013, 18:34
Any news on the Weaver ??

mareng53
30th June 2013, 08:42
Any news on the Weaver ??

Sand Weaver is due to arrive in Bahrain on the 5th JULY so its not too far now for her to her final destination.

Gorhol
23rd July 2013, 01:59
It looks as though Sand Harrier has had a reprieve as she takes over duties on the south coast while Sand Heron is at A & P on the Tees.

smiler
27th July 2013, 19:51
Sand Harrier due Poole ETA Weds 31st July

A.D.FROST
3rd August 2013, 07:47
Sand Weaver now in Bahrain(Fish Reef,Breakwater or a Dredger?) and owned by the Pakistanies (not far to go for Gadani Beach then) I hope the A/C is working in ECR.

Pilot mac
3rd August 2013, 08:20
hope A/C also on bridge ! Sand Weavers fully enclosed bridge is great in winter but not so sure about Bahrain in August.

Dave

A.D.FROST
3rd August 2013, 08:42
hope A/C also on bridge ! Sand Weavers fully enclosed bridge is great in winter but not so sure about Bahrain in August.

Dave
At least you can open the WINDOWS(non in the ER)(Cloud)