help with Lloyd's register

AntonD
14th June 2009, 12:42
Dear All

I am trying to figure out what an entry in Lloyd's register means. Can anyone please help decipher an entry in the 1801-2 register on google books, here?

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ujc4AAAAMAAJ&pg=PT130&dq=sedeman+shipping&ei=B780SvyRGZCozgTZx7HFDA#PPT15,M1

I attach a capture of the row in particular I am interested in, with the name Sedeman. Most of it makes sense from the explanations at the start of the book. I think the surveying port must be Dublin. I am lost on what Meml might stand for, and whether the captain or company is (Capt. A.) Memel, or just Memel or what.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Anton

Duncan112
14th June 2009, 22:15
Could Memel be the port that now (or a few years ago) was known as Kliepeda - a Lithuanian port in the Baltic?

AntonD
15th June 2009, 18:13
Hi Duncan - thanks for your reply

I think this is likely... Memel = Klaipeda in my atlas

Do you think the captain is Sedeman, or what? And do you understand it to say that the ship is Prussian?

I am trying to get any kind of grasp on what this ship might have been doing. I am actually trying to figure out who Sedeman is (on a family tree hunt)

Thanks!

Anton

GALTRA
15th June 2009, 19:02
Hi Anton, I think it reads more or less like this == ELIZABETH, a Brig, Master - Sedeman, 206 - tons, single deck with beams, Built - Prussia, 5 years previously, Owned in the port of Memel, draught - 13 feet, Last survey port - Dublin, A Memel trader, Classed AI by Lloyds in 1799. There is also a similar vessel listed in 1807 == ELIZABETH, brig, Master - S.Decatt, 239 - tons, single deck with beams built - Prussia in 1785 ?. Owned - foreign, Draught - 12 feet, Last survey port - Dublin, a Dantzig trader, Classed I 1 by Lloyds in 1805. This seems to be the same vessel, details seemed to flucuate a bit from year to year in those earlier Lloyds Registers All the best, Charley.

AntonD
19th June 2009, 10:28
Thank you very much Charley! That's much what I thought, although you have considerably clarified it for me. :-)

I don't know if it gets me any closer to figuring out where Sedeman may have come from, unfortunately, which is what I am really after. I suppose Memel would be most likely, although I could be jumping to conclusions.

I had a browse through some other registers on google books, looking for his name, or the same ship, but haven't found anything else.