Qrt

Tai Pan
15th June 2009, 13:15
Gentlemen, the end has come. A new cruise tin can has been launched with GRASS on the top deck. No more teak decking and holystones- just a lawn mower. What would Alfred Holt say or Nelson. I give up.(Cloud)

Klaatu83
15th June 2009, 14:59
Brings to mind the age-old naval axiom, "if it moves, salute it. If it don't, paint it." What, then, do you do with grass? And who tends it, the "Gardeners Mate"?

mikeg
15th June 2009, 15:57
Brings to mind the age-old naval axiom, "if it moves, salute it. If it don't, paint it." What, then, do you do with grass? And who tends it, the "Gardeners Mate"?

No, Patrick Mower (==D)

NicoRos
15th June 2009, 19:15
Guess it's not real grass but just mardi grass.

Ron Stringer
15th June 2009, 19:37
Grass on the deck - radio room? Miss the connection.

Boseley
15th June 2009, 20:24
Do you think they will let me go back to sea, for most of this decade I ran my own gardening business. The pressure of cutting grass, I could be Chief gardener and 1st weed puller, and what would we fertilize it with, no! no! donīt answer...................(==D)

Bob Sendall

sidsal
15th June 2009, 22:57
Some years ago we did a cruise on Caledonian Star which was a converted fishing vessel. The decks were covered in that mock grass stuff. It was OK but I wondered what it did to the rust situation below it.
The old Queen Mary carried a gardener to look after the pot plants etc.

Chris Field
16th June 2009, 00:06
One of my more important tasks as apprentice in the 1950's under Capt. Jeffers on the "City of London" was to give due attention to his pot-plants. Perhaps he foresaw the new world that was approaching....?

Pat Thompson
16th June 2009, 00:12
Greetings,

To mow or to smoke ????

tsell
16th June 2009, 08:43
Brings to mind the old ditty:

"Holystone the deck," says the Bosun one day,
"Just stand back and I'll show you the way."
He did, so I grabs hold of the pole,
but suddenly the ship gives a Hell of a roll
and the next thing I know, I'm flat on my ass!
"Sod it!" I says, "I wish it were grass!"

Taffy R556959 (Ouch)

Bill Davies
16th June 2009, 08:51
Gentlemen, the end has come. A new cruise tin can has been launched with GRASS on the top deck. No more teak decking and holystones- just a lawn mower. What would Alfred Holt say or Nelson. I give up.(Cloud)

I think Alfred Holt would be more concerned at what passes itself off as a 'Seaman' these days.

Tai Pan
16th June 2009, 10:04
Grass on the deck - radio room? Miss the connection.

Beauty is the connection. Asthetic lines. The sight of one of the great liners, eg Queen Mary, at full chat was a sight to behold, the modern cruise tin cans look like a block of corporation houses on their sides.

Tai Pan
16th June 2009, 10:12
One of my more important tasks as apprentice in the 1950's under Capt. Jeffers on the "City of London" was to give due attention to his pot-plants. Perhaps he foresaw the new world that was approaching....?

On Jason, 2nd R/O. Capt Stroud, asked me if I would go ashore and purloin some soil.We were alongside in Sydney I went up to the local park with a bag and spent an hour stooping and picking up a handful of soil at a time. On returning he then planted some bushes in pots that he had obtained. However in the red sea homeward a swarm of locusts made short shrift of them, much to my amusement

R58484956
16th June 2009, 20:05
Brings back memories of Mr Roberts with James Cagney and his pot plant.