Union Castle Cargo boat.

joesoap
5th September 2005, 14:33
I joined the Drakensberg Castle at Victoria Dock in july 1958. To say she was the tramp of the line is being kind to the old tub, but I remember she was a very happy ship. I do have a postcard of her somewhere which I will dig out if no one else can show her on here as she was a most handsome boat in her day. However we , the very mixed crew did our best to smarten her up but she was that bad that chipping hammers were used very very lightly as some of the plates on the housing were holing to the touch. I remember using the chain stopper on the rails to take the worst of the rust off and the rail coming away from the stanchion . On reaching Mombassa I was rushed in to the european hospital as I had come out in a rash of witlows , I think they were called and that was me for a week. Two of my buddies came to the hospital before she sailed to work the east coast . They took my fiver sub , 'as I was'nt going to be using it ' with my blessing of course. When the agent came to see me with my pay off and discharge book I had the option of going back to blighty on one of the Union Castle liners or flying down to Zanzibar to rejoin the ship which I opted do and was happy to do so. What a welcome from the lads who were up painting the funnel on the chairs and over the side on staging , Another three months and we were back in Viccy dock and all paid off as she was to be laid up but I later heard that she was scrapped but I'm not so sure about that. Great were the runs ashore on thay coast but I never got back there . Joesoap.

R58484956
5th September 2005, 16:05
Picture of Drak: castle on www.red-duster.co.uk. I was on her sister ship Good Hope castle. We put 2 inches of oil all over the after deck while pumping up oil tanks, ship had just been painted overall, skipper not amused neither was the chief, thought his pension might be in jeopardy. The crew loved it plenty of overtime cleaning it up.

danube4
10th November 2005, 23:18
These two ships are in my gallery. Barney.

Ray Woodward
3rd April 2006, 11:09
I served on the Andes in 1959,did a cruise to Norway and fiords,dont remember name of fiord, passed Seven Sisters waterfall then to Meroc. Can anyone help with the name of the fiord? Hav got pictures of Andes at Meroc. Ray Woodward

FREDERICK HODDER
2nd October 2006, 11:49
has any one out there got a photo of the roslin castle please
regards fred

sailor63
15th March 2007, 10:40
hi Joesoap, Were most U/C boats liners? I only ask because your the first person i seen to have tramped for U/C so far. Way back in july 66 i joined the old Kenilworth Castle on what i believe to have been her final commercial voyage, we went round Africa twice! London-meddy-east,south west Africa, back to meddy,( Genoa) then west, south, east africa again,Suez meddy,U.K.got home March 67.lol. she was so worn out that rivets were popping from some parts of the superstructure!!! she was scrapped in Taiwan 1967. When built in 1944 she was called the Empire Wilson. Bought by U/C. in 1946. cheers,Colin Knight.

R58484956
15th March 2007, 11:10
On the old Goodhope Castle we tramped around the East African coast for about 8 months, sometimes only picking up about 30 tons of scrap metal or 40 tons of tea,. part of the trip we carried 2 passengers. Food was ok.

Cisco
15th March 2007, 20:59
Were most U/C boats liners? I only ask because your the first person i seen to have tramped for U/C so far. Way back in july 66 i joined the old Kenilworth Castle on what i believe to have been her final commercial voyage, we went round Africa twice! London-meddy-east,south west Africa, back to meddy,( Genoa) then west, south, east africa again,Suez meddy,U.K.got home March 67.lol. cheers,Colin Knight.

Gday Colin,

The U/C 'black boats' ... that is general cargo as opposed to the fridge boats....used to do regular U/C runs...UK-Cape-UK, UK - East Africa - UK which they could mix and match quite often. The 'double header' - UK -Cape-Med- Cape- UK was fairly common in the 60s.

I believe the Kenilworth Castle went out to India once for Clan Line in the early 60s. Story ( uncomfirmed ) was that they put a Clan Line funnel on her for the voyage :)

On her first voyage for U/C after she came back into the group 'Kinnaird Castle' left UK in late 1962 and after discharging at the Cape went light ship from Beira to Australia to load homewards for Scottish Shire Line ( they ..not Clan..were the conference member ).

I joined her in Melbourne 44 years ago come Sunday as a first tripper, how time flies when you are having fun :)

Cheers

Cisco

joesoap
26th June 2007, 23:50
hi Joesoap, Were most U/C boats liners? I only ask because your the first person i seen to have tramped for U/C so far. Way back in july 66 i joined the old Kenilworth Castle on what i believe to have been her final commercial voyage, we went round Africa twice! London-meddy-east,south west Africa, back to meddy,( Genoa) then west, south, east africa again,Suez meddy,U.K.got home March 67.lol. she was so worn out that rivets were popping from some parts of the superstructure!!! she was scrapped in Taiwan 1967. When built in 1944 she was called the Empire Wilson. Bought by U/C. in 1946. cheers,Colin Knight.

Hi Sailor
I would say you learned more about the u c line than I'll ever know. That was my only trip and sadly I'm sure all hands would have signed two years articles no problem. The east coast of Africa then . paradise and that despite the time of the Mau Mau troubes. That hospital was tending to many Kenyan police when I was admitted. Happy memories Colin tramps or Liners we would do it again ....would we ...Cheers!

Lesley Ford
6th October 2007, 11:51
Hi
I do not know how many Roslin Castle's were built, I assume there might have been 3. I am enclosing a picture of "Roslin Castle" I assume this is of the ship built in 1883, it appears to be a Steam Ship (I am not very knowledgeable about ships). I also have another picture of "Roslyn Castle" (sic) which is a multi masted barque docked in Adelaide South Australia. My convict ancestor arrived on "Roslin Castle" 1834 to Port Jackson Sydney. I think this may be the barque, with extensive repairs to the Hull, would you like this photo also? Have you had any other positive results?
cheers Lesley

joller6
8th October 2007, 01:08
Hi Frederick,
I have posted c of the Roslyn Castle (Union Castle Line) in the Gallery.
Hope this is of help.
Vernon.

joller6
8th October 2007, 01:13
has any one out there got a photo of the roslin castle please
regards fred

Pic of Roslyn Castle
Cheers
Vernon

Eric Bennett
7th January 2008, 10:43
Had my 21st birthday on the Kenilworth Castle in 1952. Resulted in a DR.Only one I ever got though.

Ray Woodward
27th February 2008, 14:11
[QUOTE=Ray Woodward;49875]I served on the Andes in 1959,did a cruise to Norway and fiords,dont remember name of fiord, passed Seven Sisters waterfall then to Meroc. Can anyone help with the name of the fiord? Hav got pictures of Andes at Meroc.

patbry
27th June 2008, 16:31
Hi, I sailed aboard Kenilworth Castle from 17th November 1963- 25th April 1964..it was my first trip..we left Birkenhead for Ceylon(now Sri Lanka)we were awaiting pilot in Suez Canal when news of JFK's assasination..we sailed on to Aquaba in Jordan then to Aden where we where unable to discharge cargo due to a strike..we sailed on to Columbo were we anchored for 63 days because of a general strike..we then sailed to Allepy Mangalore Bombay Madras Cochin Telechery and Chittagong East Pakistan (Bangladesh)..from there we went back to Ceylon and home to UK..docked Liverpool..so yes she did go to India..Good Luck, Patbry.

Chris Isaac
27th June 2008, 22:33
That would have meant that the Kenilworth would have reached Port Said in just 5 days, she would need to have done about 27 knots to achieve that!

taffy1
27th June 2008, 23:06
hi joesoap
my first trip was the roslyn castle,deck boy & peggy. mid 1965,good ship ,well ididnt know any better at that time. the old man was capt rees ,a real old tram.p skipper, all his cloths were patch or darned

patbry
28th June 2008, 01:18
So you wanted to know about Avonmouth and Swansea...after 44 yrs at sea one can be forgiven for not being PRECISE on exact Eta's and dates..but still...their is allways one..!

Chris Isaac
28th June 2008, 13:32
It was you that was being precise with departure dates!

Cisco
28th June 2008, 14:31
Hi, I sailed aboard Kenilworth Castle from 17th November 1963- 25th April 1964..it was my first trip..we left Birkenhead for Ceylon(now Sri Lanka)we...........from there we went back to Ceylon and home to UK..docked Liverpool..so yes she did go to India..Good Luck, Patbry.
Hola Patbry
There was a story that did the rounds about that trip..... it was that Kenilworth┤s funnel colours had to be changed to Clan colours otherwise the indian stevedores wouldn┤t work the ship.....any truth in the tale?┐

taffy1
29th June 2008, 09:42
hi all,
im not being picky just confused,my fist trip was on the roslin castle ,number164448 reg london . thats from the official stamp in my dis book, Q was there another roslyn castle with the Y instead of an I ???.i was on the roslin, june to aug 65. she was definetly a u/c boat. thanks geof.

Chris Isaac
29th June 2008, 11:04
The correct spelling was Roslin Castle, did my first trip as third mate on her.
I remember Capt Rees or Dithery Dai as he was known.
I sailed with him on Rhodesia Castle taking the ship to the breakers in Taiwan.
There was no RoslYn Castle in UC, dont know about elsewhere but I doubt it.

taffy1
29th June 2008, 12:25
thanks for that chris.as a 15 yr old, it was quite a specticle seeing the old man dressed like he,ed had a good day out at the oxfam shop.he was a very likeable man .he taught me how to steer,always remember him saying as we over took a modern ships ."i bet their looking up lloyds regester and saying built 1935 ,speed 16 kts"and he,ed have a little chuckle to himself. ive never forgoten that.

Chris Isaac
29th June 2008, 14:11
A pic of the Roslin here: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/92664/ppuser/7986

andysk
30th June 2008, 11:48
I remember Capt Rees very well, he was the OM on my first trip to sea as a Junior R/O in 1971 on Rothesay Castle, and gave me a bit of a 'fatherly' chat about the risks of going ashore in LM.

He also delayed sailing from Le Havre for Southampton at the end of that trip by nearly an hour as he couldn't find his beret, so wouldn't come to the bridge for departure stations, even though the pilot was on board !

He was a real gentleman of the old school, but he did have an interesting method of darning shirts - make a bunch of material around the hole or tear, and stitch it through, all his shirts looked like miniature mountain ranges !

I do believe he was Third Mate on Rochester Castle for the Malta convoy, so he could be forgiven for being a little eccentric.

canberra97
24th September 2008, 03:03
I served on the Andes in 1959,did a cruise to Norway and fiords,dont remember name of fiord, passed Seven Sisters waterfall then to Meroc. Can anyone help with the name of the fiord? Hav got pictures of Andes at Meroc. Ray Woodward

Geiranger Fjord

are39
8th January 2009, 09:19
9.9.1952 Joined the Reibeck Castle Ist trip deck boy,Straight from Training ship Arethusa.Capt Logger Lloyd or as he was called "Swivel eyed LLoyd"
He logged me because on rounds he found dirt on his white gloves from top of door in my area.What a trip for a kid.hamburg le havre marseille algiers(yep i did visit the casbah)learnt some astounding anatomy features there.Then out past west africa to capetown,then every port up the east coast Just Marvellous.Can,t remember any crossing line do Tho.
Mike Bishop jumi5

Chris Isaac
8th January 2009, 10:06
Logger Lloyd and Swivel Eyed Lloyd were two different Masters.

capt1
19th March 2009, 15:31
Reading stories of the Good Hope and Kenilworth Castles brought back many memories some happy some not! The Good Hope was my first ship joined in KGV No 10. Sailed the same day March 22nd 1955. We were due home at the beginning of June arrived beginning of August! I have nine discharges from the Kenilworth including a voyage to the middle East during the Suez Crisis under Captain Aplin carrying arms ammunition and 12 troopies.

One of my most memorable voyages must have been aboard Tantallon Castle to India in 1961? Captain Anson in Command - what a trip!

Best wishes to all

R58484956
29th May 2009, 19:45
Capt1 a very belated greetings to you on joining SN, you and I both signed on and off the GHC on the same day.Small world is it not. Bon voyage.