Union Castle

gaelsail
18th June 2009, 18:22
This is probably a totally stupid question but here goes anyway...

is there any chance that the ship for sale in this advert (http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/SkhBKzA4MDR+amhhUzAx=-IDEAL_FOR_CONVERSION.html#top) is an ex.Union castle? It appears to read 'something Castle' and 'London' on her stern and it has a look about it... but it is a poor photo and I've only actually seen one of the Union Castle ships for a few minutes so really have nothing to compare it with.

OK... (Jester) have a good laugh now, I will if I've got it totally wrong !

gaelsail
18th June 2009, 18:25
OK... (Jester) have a good laugh now, I will if I've got it totally wrong !
I've just realised it can't be- the ship in the advert is far too small.

Dickyboy
18th June 2009, 19:58
Hi
I think she's a Non Union Castle Ship Launched as the "Fingal" but now named "Windsor Castle" If you Google MV Fingal you should get more info.
Google with the pictures option.
Cheers!
Dickyboy (Thumb)

Dickyboy
18th June 2009, 20:30
Steel Twin Screw Motorship, Built by Blythswood Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Glasgow, Yard No. 140, the last ship to be built by Yard, based at Oban.

239-ft x 40-ft x 19-ft, 1342 Gross Tons.

Transferred to Stromness 1994.

2000: Sold to Tamahine Investments Ltd of Hong Kong, (JCB UK Ltd), registered London and renamed WINDSOR CASTLE, still in service.

Cheers!
Dickyboy (Thumb)

gaelsail
19th June 2009, 11:18
Steel Twin Screw Motorship, Built by Blythswood Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Glasgow, Yard No. 140, the last ship to be built by Yard, based at Oban.

239-ft x 40-ft x 19-ft, 1342 Gross Tons.

Transferred to Stromness 1994.

2000: Sold to Tamahine Investments Ltd of Hong Kong, (JCB UK Ltd), registered London and renamed WINDSOR CASTLE, still in service.
Thanks for all the info... I've found her on the NLB website history (http://www.nlb.org.uk/historical/ships.htm) too. Must have seen her lots of times, perhaps that was what was triggering my thoughts along with the Windsor Castle name

Chris Isaac
19th June 2009, 11:44
She is laid up in the River Fal and has been for quite some time