John Purvis Backing Group

Welsh Dragon
22nd June 2009, 21:41
Do any of you guys remember John Purvis. going ashore with John (The Purve) was an experience. On many occasion we were roped in to acting as his backing Group as he went though his Al Jolson repertoire such as Mammy, Toot Toot Tootsie & The Red Red Robin. There would be 4 or 5 of us usually on one Knee helping him with the chorus.
Simon Cowell eat your heart out. (Jester)

clonguish
27th June 2009, 23:32
Do any of you guys remember John Purvis. going ashore with John (The Purve) was an experience. On many occasion we were roped in to acting as his backing Group as he went though his Al Jolson repertoire such as Mammy, Toot Toot Tootsie & The Red Red Robin. There would be 4 or 5 of us usually on one Knee helping him with the chorus.
Simon Cowell eat your heart out. (Jester)

Once met never forgoten and to be correct it was Eddie Cantor not Al Jolson who was his hero sailed with John when he was 2/E Hardwicke in 72 when I was App/E, and if I remember correctly he could prove he was Sane ( if u knew him you know what I mean)

Welsh Dragon
28th June 2009, 21:45
Once met never forgoten and to be correct it was Eddie Cantor not Al Jolson who was his hero sailed with John when he was 2/E Hardwicke in 72 when I was App/E, and if I remember correctly he could prove he was Sane ( if u knew him you know what I mean)

Thats right, he had Two certs. his 2nd Wife insisted on the second before they got wed (So he told me) Met her when he was Chief on the Banbury 1980 ish. lovely lady. When i was on the Hardwicke with him he used to get out of the Engine room from the bottom plates without using any ladders or stairs. What would Health and Safety say today.

tonymorcom
2nd October 2010, 18:00
yep John Purvis was CE on the hardwicke when I did my 1st trip Oct 1973. He was a great guy for taking you under his wing if he liked you but god help you if he didnt. Luckily he liked me!!(Thumb)