Advert on the Franconia

Dickyboy
23rd June 2009, 05:06
Hi!
I was on the Franconia in 1967, on the NY - Bermuda run.
On one round trip a film crew came aboard and filmed an advert for a floor polish called 'Prolong'
I was EDH on there and volunteered to take part in the advert. My part, and that of three or four other crew members was to "Scrub" three sections of floor which had each been polished with different polishes, 'Prolong' being one of them. The advert was finally done with only two pieces of floor as the third one turned out to be better than the product they were advertising.
I still remember the opening lines of the advert, announced as the flooring was being bought aboard with the use of a Derrick.
" Welcome aboard, we've asked the crew of the Franconia to scrub this freshly polished kitchen floor"
I remember I got paid $50 (A lot of dosh) The crews mess got a telly out of it as well.
I never did see the advert, and wonder if it ever went on air.
Does anyone remember this event? Or anyone actually take part in it.
I recall that there were a lot of complaints from the passengers about the film crew taking over the best spots on deck for their filming.
Cheers!
Dickyboy

peter johnston
9th July 2009, 00:01
hello dickyboy!
i vaguely remember the event,but never did see the advert! but i did see some those $50 being passed over the bar in the market diner! good old days ....did 4 years on that run!

Dickyboy
9th July 2009, 14:24
hello dickyboy!
i vaguely remember the event,but never did see the advert! but i did see some those $50 being passed over the bar in the market diner! good old days ....did 4 years on that run!
I'm pleased someone remembers it, I was beginning to think it was all a dream :o
Remember a bloke on there "Pinkey"? a KP I think, used to give subs to those who wanted them, nice little earner for him I think.
I only did about 4 months on the Franc'. Got into a bit of trouble in Bermuda, got knicked by the police for climbing trees, (Pis*ed of course) Then head butted the station sergeant. Lots of s*it flying. Didn't get the sack or anything like that, but I came home and joined BP later. Much more my style than passenger boats.
Very Good run the NY-Bermuda one wasn't it? 24 hrs in NY & 36 in Bermuda every week. Remember the "Hogpenny" pub, just off the quay? Great pub, and the tourists, loved to see a "Traditional" English pub, with "Sailors" in it. Great place :o
I remember the huge pan of "Scouse" that was sent down to the crew bar every lunch time, loverley grub! :o