Mary Celeste

Shipbuilder
28th June 2009, 12:42
I began work on this one fourteen days ago and completed it this morning. It is completely hand-built with no shop-bought parts in it!
32'=1" - hull length 3 inches on the waterline.

K urgess
28th June 2009, 12:58
Steady hands, Bob.
Obviously not suffering the effects of too much key bashing.
Excellent again. Sorry if I'm a bit repetitive but I''ve run out of superlatives. (Sad)
Cheers
Kris

rickles23
28th June 2009, 13:20
Hi,
A very well done model in all respects.
Regards

Shipbuilder
28th June 2009, 14:00
Hi Kris,
Didn't suffer greatly from key bashing since getting a bug key in '65. Alaways found the old up and downers before that a bit of a strain though!
Bob

Michael Taylor
28th June 2009, 14:29
Hello Bob from Uruguay......For many years I lived in Marion Massachusetts. It was there that the Mary Celeste was built and from where the Master lived. Some of his things including the piano his wife took on the voyage can be seen in the small museum in the town. Mike

Shipbuilder
28th June 2009, 15:03
Hi Mike,
The place of building doesn't tally with my information at all. The official registry shows MARY CELESTE having been completed in 1861 at Parsborough, Nova Scotia as the AMAZON. In the registry copy I have, it lists the captain as B S Briggs, so it is probably the correct one.
I have not researched this in any great depth, but all the references I have seen has said Parsborough, Nova Scotia as place of building.
Bob

Michael Taylor
29th June 2009, 20:03
Hello Bob....am sure if the registry says NS it must be correct but I was told otherwise by the staff at the museum in Marion. Capt. Briggs for sure came from that town and there are still many Briggs living there. Marion, Mattapoiset and New Bedford were shipbuilding towns in that area. Mostly whaling vessels (Moby Dick and New Bedford). New Bedford has a wonderful museum devoted to the whaling industry (has a web site) and am sure they would help with drawings of sailing vessels if interested.....Mike

R58484956
30th June 2009, 08:37
Bob looks as though you are going into mass production, 14 days.

Shipbuilder
30th June 2009, 11:42
Thanks for replies.
Mike, It was probably just wishful thinking on the part of the museum. Captain Briggs lived there and they also had his piano. A search of Google will bring up lots of info about the ship and the mystery.

It didn't even take 14 days. It was built over a span of 14 days, and only 12were spent working on it! Not a very complicated ship though and was just built for a bit of relaxation after the POLITICIAN.

Viewing figures always puzzle me. 28 views of it held in my hand, but only 14 and 10 respectively of it completed and in the sea - I wonder if the one in hand put a lot of viewers off from looking at the completed model?

Bob

ZZ56
1st July 2009, 07:09
I know i had to hold my hand up to the screen and squint, and i still couldn't believe it. All that detail on something so tiny.... were you by any chance a Swiss watchmaker in a previous life?

jerome morris
1st July 2009, 14:05
Bob, I think you should add a crew....

stein
9th July 2009, 10:57
jerome morris
"Bob, I think you should add a crew...."

Good one! Regards, Stein.