Donaldson Line.

Donald McGhee
29th June 2009, 04:23
I sailed with Donaldson of Glasgow until 1967 as Apprentice on the Colina. The company went into liquidation that year and I finished my time with Bank Line, which was a bit of a culture shock, as Donaldson paid their Apps overtime and I was used to 6 week trips! Bank Line was great though, apart from my experience on Marabank with some very strange people. Donaldson were a great outfit, and had some very famous ships, not least the Athenia when she was sunk by a U boat with passengers aboard.
I would like to hear from any ex Donaldson Line crowd, who were mostly West Highland gentlemen. Great ships, alas now all gone and all we see now is ugly box boats, progress I suppose, but at what price? The ships of the
50's to the 70's were beautiful, graceful and tough.
Great memories of both companies.

brian3
13th March 2010, 14:36
hi donald i sailed on the cortona great trip all round s/a coast 3 months i think it was her last
im afraid i cant say i was sorry as she was an old pig but still one of great memories we called at ports i had never heard off and it was my third year running down to s/a
brian3

James MacDonald
13th March 2010, 15:41
I was O/S & EDH with Donaldsons Laurentia & the Lismoria ,both in the winter across the North Atlantic. If that experience never stopped me from continuing at sea then nothing would.

John W. Reid
24th March 2010, 16:41
I sailed with Donaldson of Glasgow until 1967 as Apprentice on the Colina. The company went into liquidation that year and I finished my time with Bank Line, which was a bit of a culture shock, as Donaldson paid their Apps overtime and I was used to 6 week trips! Bank Line was great though, apart from my experience on Marabank with some very strange people. Donaldson were a great outfit, and had some very famous ships, not least the Athenia when she was sunk by a U boat with passengers aboard.
I would like to hear from any ex Donaldson Line crowd, who were mostly West Highland gentlemen. Great ships, alas now all gone and all we see now is ugly box boats, progress I suppose, but at what price? The ships of the
50's to the 70's were beautiful, graceful and tough.
Great memories of both companies.

Hi - I was Second Engineer on the Colina before & after lengthening, after which she was a ***** in Atlantic weather. We must have crossed paths along the way.
Agree with you - it was a great company. I was on the Corinaldo at the time of liquidation which - due to circumstances, was the last ship to be sold off to China navigation. Sad loss.
You mention the Athenia. Both Athenia 1 and Athenia 11 were sunk by U-Boats in WW1 & WW2 respectively. After which the company vowed never to name anothe Athenia.
Ther is a bokk on Donaldson Line by P.J.Telford (World Ship Society Publications) well worth it.

Donald McGhee
26th March 2010, 03:06
Hi - I was Second Engineer on the Colina before & after lengthening, after which she was a ***** in Atlantic weather. We must have crossed paths along the way.
Agree with you - it was a great company. I was on the Corinaldo at the time of liquidation which - due to circumstances, was the last ship to be sold off to China navigation. Sad loss.
You mention the Athenia. Both Athenia 1 and Athenia 11 were sunk by U-Boats in WW1 & WW2 respectively. After which the company vowed never to name anothe Athenia.
Ther is a bokk on Donaldson Line by P.J.Telford (World Ship Society Publications) well worth it.

I sailed on Colina for all of my time with Donaldsons so we must have sailed together for a fair while. Both before and after lengthening and I stood by her at Barclay Curles. I well remember "Big Lobie" Mr MacVicar the Chief engineer and Mr McLachlan the mate. Alec Barr was the Chief Steward and there were a few apprentices coming and going beside me, Eddy Fanning, John Grey, Peter Snell.
The crowd were all Teuchters and great bottle merchants andn I think I learnt a lot of bad habits from them, but it was fun at the time.
I have the book by P J Telfer, great history.

w.craig
26th April 2010, 20:50
I sailed as R/O on the Santona, never been so sea sick as on that ship, November crossing the N. Atlantic. Was always visited after breakfast by those famous west highland gentelmen, telling me what a great fried breakfast they had just had. 2 trips was enough for me.

Tom Inglis
18th August 2010, 15:01
I sailed as R/O on the Santona, never been so sea sick as on that ship, November crossing the N. Atlantic. Was always visited after breakfast by those famous west highland gentelmen, telling me what a great fried breakfast they had just had. 2 trips was enough for me.

I am still trying to find my old mate George Stewart who joined Donaldsons in 1957 as apprentice. We were at Glasgow Tech together and later he was best man at my wedding in1963 . With him trading the Atlantic in Donaldsons and me in Far East with Blue Funnel we lost track. I would love to catch up with him and have been searching for over a year on this site and others. If anyone knows where he got to please let me know. George came from Armadale and went school at Bathgate Academy. I did hear that he joined Shaw Saville after the demise of Donaldsons.
Regards to all

Tom Inglis

Vindi Phil
22nd August 2010, 17:17
I sailed on the "Cortona" out of London's Royal Docks in1960 to South America on the B.A. meat run. The average age of the deck department was just 22 years with the Bosun only being 24. She was a great number and very happy. A typical "chatty but happy" vessel.
Vindi Phil.

John Rogers
22nd August 2010, 17:42
I did one trip on the old Moveria in November of 1949,and later I did three trips on the Norwegian starting in March of 1951. They were very good feeders and a great crew,mostly out of Scotland.

John.

muldonaich
22nd August 2010, 17:48
anyone remember sandy buchan 2nd mate on lismoriathink he ended up as master in saf marine macnie was old man.

michael mcaree
18th August 2013, 11:10
I was O/S & EDH with Donaldsons Laurentia & the Lismoria ,both in the winter across the North Atlantic. If that experience never stopped me from continuing at sea then nothing would.

I was also on the lismoria James about the mid sixties. You wouldn't happen to be James McDonald who came from Pollock who's father was also at sea

michael mcaree
18th August 2013, 23:24

I was also on the lismoria James about the mid sixties .can't help wonder if you are James McDonald who lived in pollock and whose father also went to sea.