Empire Hawk of 1919

Davidlloyd
8th September 2005, 17:24
Has anyone any more information or possibly a picture of the
1919 US Shipping Board "Coahoma County". She went to the American Diamond Lines in 1931 and became the "Black Tern" in 1932.
In 1941 she became Empire Hawk managed by Cunard White Star Ltd and was torpedoed in 12.12.42 off Brazil. few months beforeshe was in a convoy from Halifax to Scotland.
I would appreciate any information. She was the ship which almost sunk the Woolwich Ferry

David Lloyd

japottinger
8th September 2005, 17:53
Sunk by Italian sub. Tazzoli 05.56N 39.50W,New York & Trinidad for Table Bay & Alexandria 6989 tons general cargo inc. 3,500 tons coal and 2200 tons army transport material. crew 45 and 6 gunners all saved. Completed in 1919 by American International Corp Hog Island Penn. for Black Daimond Lines Inc, laid down as Clauston.
sorry can't help with pic.

Bruce Carson
8th September 2005, 20:35
Hi:
Built as a Type A Hog Islander by American International Shipbuilding at Hog Island (Philadelphia), Pennsylvania.
She was laid down as the 'Clauston' but launched on October 8, 1919 as the 'Coahoma County'. (401'bp (410'oa) x 54', 5,594GT, DR turbine engine, single screw, service speed somewhere between 8-10 knots). About 42 officers and men.
Under Waterman Steamship management, she worked the Mobile Oceanic Line of the US Shipping Board before being sold to the Black Diamond Line. Renamed 'Black Tern' and overhauled, her GT was reduced to 5,037 and her sevice speed was increased to 13 knots for the US mail route from the East Coast to Rotterdam and Antwerp. Crew was reduced to 36.
Sold to Britain in 1941 and renamed 'Empire Hawk.

The picture is a 1941 US Coast Guard photo of the 'Empire Barracuda', ex 'Black Heron', a Hog Islander that had much the same history as the 'Empire Hawk', including the modifications for the mail service with the Black Diamond Line. Presumably, the two ships were identical in appearance.

Bruce C.

Davidlloyd
10th September 2005, 12:00
Thanks for the replies. I must admit I never expected so much information.
Well at least I know the ship that caused so much havoc in Woolwich on that June afternoon in 1926.
David Lloyd