Historic Navy Hydrofoil in Need of a Final Home

shamrock
14th July 2009, 11:26
It was the fastest hydrofoil in the world. Now, the Fresh-1 is corroding in obscurity behind a local warehouse.

Boeing and J.M. Martinac Shipbuilding of Tacoma built the research vessel for the Navy in 1963 for about $2 million. It looked like a space capsule attached to two huge pontoons, and it could fly.

An unusual craft with an interesting story, it has been wasting away for decades. Even if its historically worth saving, a restoration is getting more expensive by the day. And owner Dave Symington, who turned 91 this month, has many other interests demanding his time.

Its another thing on my mind, and it jumps off my mind once in a while, he said. Ive got to put (the craft) somewhere else.

...cont.../..

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/jul/13/historic-navy-hydro-in-need-of-a-final-home/

Dumah54
30th January 2014, 15:56
Seems to me that HMCS Brador (sic) was built about the same time. She is preservered "up river".

Cheers, Dumah,
Halifax, NS

Duncan112
30th January 2014, 16:24
The Royal Navy experimented with a Boeing jetfoil in the early '80s, HMS Speedy P296, sold out of service she eventually became the HK ferry Lilau

Scatari
26th March 2014, 19:55
Seems to me that HMCS Brador (sic) was built about the same time. She is preservered "up river".

Cheers, Dumah,
Halifax, NS

Bras d'Or