French horror as Joan of Arc to be 'killed' by English again

shamrock
14th July 2009, 14:05
French naval chiefs reacted with horror after it was announced that one of the country's best-loved warships, the Jeanne-d'Arc, is to be sent to England to be broken up.

One senior officer said that the prospect of the ship being "burned, martyred and dismembered" in England would be too much to stomach after the old enemy's earlier hand in the death at the stake in 1431 of France's national heroine, after whom the ship is named.

The ageing vessel, which is used by the French as a "floating embassy" in a similar role as the decommissioned Royal Yacht Britannia, is due to embark on its 45th and final world tour, after which it will be dismantled. Able UK, the British shipbreakers based on the River Tees, is reportedly in pole position to win the tender.

...cont../..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/5819562/French-horror-as-Joan-of-Arc-to-be-killed-by-English-again.html

nice watch
9th October 2010, 18:59
Never mind. See how our Admirals react when they find out the new aircraft carrier HMS PRICE OF WALES (sic) will end up being sold to France.

Klaatu83
9th October 2010, 21:52
"Mort de ma vie, pas encore!"

Actually, it wasn't burning Joan of Arc that the French objected to so strongly, so much as the fact that the English demonstrated such a lack of good taste as to accompany the act with a wine inappropriate to the occasion. Everyone in France knows that one never serves white wine at an immolation!

Coastie
10th October 2010, 00:48
Oh dear, how sad, never mind! It's just a ship.

nice watch
20th October 2010, 06:24
Never mind. See how our Admirals react when they find out the new aircraft carrier HMS PRICE OF WALES (sic) will end up being sold to France.

Answering my own posts here.......but I bet I'm right.

Satanic Mechanic
20th October 2010, 06:48
"Mort de ma vie, pas encore!"

Actually, it wasn't burning Joan of Arc that the French objected to so strongly, so much as the fact that the English demonstrated such a lack of good taste as to accompany the act with a wine inappropriate to the occasion. Everyone in France knows that one never serves white wine at an immolation!

(Jester)

Dickyboy
20th October 2010, 07:07
They'll be shipping all their Guillotines over here for scrapping next.
They should tow the Jeanne-d'Arc into Pompey to be scrapped at Pounds. She could see what the inside of a British Naval Dockyard looks like. :o

WilliamH
20th October 2010, 09:04
Two quotes fromabook review I recently read; The English found the only virgin in France and what do they do, they burn her. The English might have burnt Joan of Arc, but the French got the contract for the wood.