lenses

quietman
14th July 2009, 16:40
I have just been given an old canon EOS 500 not digital. with this were 2 lenses one being a canon28-80mm the other is a sigma70-300mm. As I'm looking at getting a SLR camera in the future I was wondering if these are decent lenses and what magnification the larger lense gives. I'm hoping these can save me some money(credit crunch and all that). Forgive the ignorance as I have only obtained the photography bug in the last 2 or so years.
Regards Derrick[=P]

Phill
14th July 2009, 20:36
Although they are Eos mounts, You canít really rely on the lenses working on a digital camera, what I was told when I was purchasing my Canon, was that if they have auto focus they should work, my sigma 55 to 200 worked but with problems? But 2 tamron lenses worked well, I suggest you take the lenses down to Dixons or jessups and try them,
Phill (Thumb)

gkh151
14th July 2009, 21:03
Hi Derrick,

Your Lenses should fit onto the EOS digital range but you may find that you have to focus manually. dslruser.co.uk is worth looking at for advice they have loads of info about all types of cameras and photogaphy.

As for magnification I think I am correct in saying unless you buy a full frame Digital (very expensive) you multiply by 1.6 hence your 28-80mm will become44-128mm and your 70-300mm will become112-480mm this is a fairly long lens but will have its limits. The modern lenses especially Canon and Nikon now have built in image stabilizing and they make a lot of differance. Sigma are a decent lens and also worth a look is Tamron and Tokina but be prepared to part with a fare bit of cash. Shop around before you buy wharehousexpress and 7 day photoshop are worth a look. From experiance keep away from jessops they are only interested in the sale and not the best for advice.

I hope this helps you in you search.

Graham

makko
14th July 2009, 21:17
Derrick,
I have just upgraded about one month ago from my trusty, battle weary Nikon 6006S standard SLR to a Nikon D40 Digital. Both use Nikkor DX autofocus lenses, however the D40 lenses have VR - vibration reduction. The lenses have a microchip in them. I always believed that the lenses were interchangeable - Not true! You can focus manually but the onboard computer may not work correctly and you may inadvertently crop your photos (It is due to the prism/frame and digital sensor size and ratio). For really good photos, get some film and enjoy the EOS, especially with the 300mm zoom! When you get the film processed, you can get them on CD. When you go for the digital, get all new - You will immediately see why when you use them!
Cheers,
Dave

treeve
14th July 2009, 21:43
I have a 70-300mm Sigma which I used with great success on my Nikon F2. Lens is fine, BUT on take care when switching to and from macro, if you have not ensured the switch is done on 70mm, it can jam. Took me two weeks of careful unscrewing and re-assembly to sort it out again. I cannot answer for digital use - looks like you have had some definitive answers already on that subject.

gkh151
14th July 2009, 22:13
Derrick,

As Makko says you may find some cropping on your photo's using these lense but with a bit of practice and some trials taking pics you are not bothered about you should learn to over come this buy not zooming in so close then if you want to crop them you can do so in photoshop or similar programme. It would be a pain but it should work. Probabally the best advice is when you do go digital is to consider buying new lenses as I have said and Makko has said the modern lenses really do make a differance but if you do go digital you can always opt for the cheaper digital lenses to start with ie Canon L series even they can give excellant results.

Regards.

Graham

Duncan112
14th July 2009, 23:02
I have a 70-300mm Sigma which I used with great success on my Nikon F2. Lens is fine, BUT on take care when switching to and from macro, if you have not ensured the switch is done on 70mm, it can jam. Took me two weeks of careful unscrewing and re-assembly to sort it out again. I cannot answer for digital use - looks like you have had some definitive answers already on that subject.

Don't know about the other Nikons but on my D200 if you forget to switch the camera off before removing the lens you can't fit a different lens, you have to refit the original with the camera still turned on, then turn it off and start again. Turning the camera off whilst the lens is off is not a solution - don't know why as I can't see any difference in the position of the bits and bobs. At least it's not a trip to the repair yard!!

Andy
15th July 2009, 12:16
if you do go digital you can always opt for the cheaper digital lenses to start with ie Canon L series even they can give excellant results.

Regards.

Graham

Even the Canon L series? ;)

gkh151
15th July 2009, 17:51
Hi Andy,

Point taken Mate. Have just realised the L lenses are'nt the cheapest. Old age and foul memory.

Graham