Video - The Last Voyage of Windsor Castle

Chris Isaac
15th July 2009, 11:25
I thought I had lost it but today to my great joy it has been rediscovered.

In 1977 the Windsor Castle left Cape Town for the very last time. Aboard was a film crew from SABC making a documentary of the history of the Union Castle Line, its interdependance on the history of South Africa and of the last voyage itself. It is narrated by Laurens van der Post the renown South African writer and godfather of Prince Charles.

When it was broadcast in South Africa it was in two one hour episodes.
I have probably one of the very few surviving recordings of the programmes. I am in the process of coverting the tape onto DVD. I do have to warn you that the quality is not of today's standards but the nostaligia is pure high definition.

I am sure that many of you will wish to see this and so I am going to make it available and a cost of 20 per disk. This is solely to cover my expenses for disks, cases and postage.

It is a fantastic video and the scenes of Windsor Castle leaving Cape Town for the last time had me in tears. Many old shipmates are in the film and I am sure you will enjoy seeing them as much as I did. Windsor Castle was my last "big" mailship although I did go on to sail on Southampton and Good Hope before leaving.

Please can you PM me if you would be interested in receiving a copy. Once they are ready you can pay by cheque and I will send my address via PM once the disks are ready.

Chris Isaac
21st July 2009, 14:14
Correction LvdP was a friend of PC not godfather

Steve
21st July 2009, 14:49
Are you going to make it available on the SN tv channel or is this a commercial venture? If so if we forward you 20 can we put it up for all to see?

Chris Isaac
21st July 2009, 16:25
I fear the file would be enormous as the video is 1hr 40 mins long but I will look into this possibility

Pete Bower
13th September 2009, 15:10
I remember the day she sailed vividly. I was a rookie journalist working for the SA Shipping News, tasked (as my eyesight was better than the editor's) with the job to taking pictures of her sailing. This I did with great enthusiasm only to discover that the film had jammed in the camera so for publication we had to buy a picture of her sailing from one of the newspapers in Cape Town.

Very embarassing!.

David Strickland
24th January 2012, 12:21
I thought I had lost it but today to my great joy it has been rediscovered.

In 1977 the Windsor Castle left Cape Town for the very last time. Aboard was a film crew from SABC making a documentary of the history of the Union Castle Line, its interdependance on the history of South Africa and of the last voyage itself. It is narrated by Laurens van der Post the renown South African writer and godfather of Prince Charles.

When it was broadcast in South Africa it was in two one hour episodes.
I have probably one of the very few surviving recordings of the programmes. I am in the process of coverting the tape onto DVD. I do have to warn you that the quality is not of today's standards but the nostaligia is pure high definition.

I am sure that many of you will wish to see this and so I am going to make it available and a cost of 20 per disk. This is solely to cover my expenses for disks, cases and postage.

It is a fantastic video and the scenes of Windsor Castle leaving Cape Town for the last time had me in tears. Many old shipmates are in the film and I am sure you will enjoy seeing them as much as I did. Windsor Castle was my last "big" mailship although I did go on to sail on Southampton and Good Hope before leaving.

Please can you PM me if you would be interested in receiving a copy. Once they are ready you can pay by cheque and I will send my address via PM once the disks are ready.
.I WOULD LOVE A COPY PLEASE AS I WAS INTERVIEWED ON LAST TRIP. DAVID. GREAT MEMORIES.

David Strickland
24th January 2012, 12:24
i WAS ON FINAL TRIP IN 1977. FANTASTIC TIME. WOULD LOVE COPY OF FILM PLEASE. DAVID.