1969 Mariner's Annual

kewl dude
19th July 2009, 06:03
A friend who was over this afternoon plucked my copy of the 1969 Mariner's Annual off of my bookshelf. We ended up sitting on my couch going through this 1,280 page catalog for several hours. I just scanned four pages to give you an idea what the Mariner's Annual is all about. Basically everything needed for ships operation. Ships I sailed typically had five on-board. The Captain, Chief Mate, Chief Engineer, First Asst Engineer and Steward each had a copy. New catalogs came out in April of each year.

"This is not a buying guide. Editorially, it contains no prices. Mariner's Annual is a publication for the identification of marine materials, not a vendors catalog. We do not sell the materials shown in this book but, as publishers, attempt to facilitate the accurate ordering of up-to-date materials."

"When you refer to a desired item by Mariner's Annual page and item number, everyone concerned with the processing of your order will know exactly what you need."

Before making this post I searched SN for "Mariner's Annual" but found no posts.

Greg Hayden

surfaceblow
19th July 2009, 07:41
I used the Mariner's Annual for ordering many times over the years since the ships and the office may not have the most up to date copy of the Mariner's Annual the requisition would include the year. Example MA 1000 - 69 etc. The last time I used the Mariner's Annual it was electronic catalog.

http://www.marinersannual.com/

Joe

19th July 2009, 07:58
I found it difficult to use since it wasn't organized by product type. When looking up an item in the index, you were likely to find it on many different pages scattered throughout the entire 1000+ pages. A real pain.

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 05:04
This 1969 issue has 1,280 pages including the index and weighs 6 pounds 13 ounces.

This was certainly not a bad publication considering it was FREE to the end users. The publisher would deliver pallets of them to large organizations. They also were used in other industries besides ship owners, chandlers and ship board personnel that needed their advertised industrial products: shipyards, power plants, oil refineries, steel plants, factories.

These four pages detail general cargo ship equipment.

Greg Hayden

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 05:18
This is Hose-McCann sound powered telephones. They claim to have invented these phones?

Pages 188 and 189 faced each other so it was easy to find spare parts. These are the kinds of things that made this publication invaluable.

Part # 4 (station selection) "knob with set screw" could be a pain since rarely did one have a screwdriver slim enough while long enough to tighten this screw. And it was always getting loose. I bought a long slim shank screwdriver at Sears and ground it down to fit for this purpose. It is still in my tool box.

This MA issue also has the specific rotary dial telephones created for Challenger and Mariner class US built ships as well as dial switchboards and other stuff for passenger ships.

Greg Hayden

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 05:37
Page 196 illustrates US light bulb bases and filament configurations. There are additional pages just like this showing the different light bulbs used on ships built worldwide. As well as everything else one needs for electrical services for ships built world wide. There are 200 pages covering electrical products, equipment, tools, etc.

Pages 248 and 249 face each other making it easier to locate specific carbon brushes to order. These brushes were used on Direct Current (DC) ships generators and motors. Besides a 480 VAC 3 phase alternator T2 tanker auxiliary generators used one 2:1 geared turbine to drive (1) the alternator, (2) the A/C main motor DC exciter, (3) the A/C main propulsion generator DC exciter and (4) the alternator DC exciter.

Greg Hayden

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 05:45
Valves

Greg Hayden

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 05:57
Page 385 - 600 psig and 1,500 psig boiler main steam stops with warm up by-passes.

Page 424 fire hoses.

Page 447 - all the different US hose coupling thread configurations.

Page 455 Fire fighting foam and foam fire hose nozzles.

Greg Hayden

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 15:30
Page 457 ships fixed fire fighting foam distribution system.

Page 465 expandable scupper plugs 3 to 8 inches and tanker single action tank water wash and ventilating deck plates.

Page 466 lifeboat equipment.

Page 467 tanker ullage accessories.

Greg Hayden

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 15:41
Page 468 bronze port lights 8 inches to 18 inches parts and accessories.

Page 469 tank cleaning tools.

Page 470 deck sounding plugs, anchor chain devils claw, fog gong, freon condenser heads, deck scupper strainer plates.

Page 583 canvas work tools.

Greg Hayden

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 15:50
Page 596 fire axe and bulkhead brackets, rotary hand pumps, Loofah sponges, hand grinder, finishing nails.

Page 597 common nails.

Page 598 dressed wood sizes, brass stencils, aluminum levels and plumb bobs.

Page 677 MMC remote reading digital draft indicator.

Greg Hayden

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 16:00
Page 718 water tight doors replacement parts.

Page 729 Moeller Instruments Salinometer sets and parts.

Page 750 propeller shaft precut and shaped Lignum Vitae bearing segments.

Page 836 Weems and Plath navigators equipment and tools.

Greg Hayden

kewl dude
20th July 2009, 16:15
Page 850 cargo container slings.

Page 954 sponges, metal polish, variety of wiping rags including cotton waste, typically packaged in 10 - 25 - 50 and 100 pound compressed bales, priced by the pound.

Page 1018 Maytag washing machines. Ships generally had five of these on board. One for the deck officers, the deck crew, the engine officers, the engine crew, the stewards department. Typically these were an after thought and as such were installed in what previously were small closets.

Page 1049 innerspring mattresses, porthole curtains, bed pillows.

Page 1119 Devcon Plastic Steel.

Greg Hayden

John Campbell
20th July 2009, 17:01
I remember looking through this wonderful publication and spied a great device. A Boiler Ace Plug - we ordered them by the dozen to fix the numerous cargo pipeline leaks we used have on Caltex T2 tankers in the 60s and ofcourse the ubiquitos tins of devcon

Bill Davies
21st July 2009, 08:55
A great manual but had the potential to cause havoc in the hands of an over enthusiastic mate or engineer. Seemed to think it mandatory to order something off every page.

Basil
21st July 2009, 11:09
'The Closed Ridge Working Tent'
Wonder how sales went?
I guess if you'd a breakdown you could use them as sails :)

21st July 2009, 12:12
I remember looking through this wonderful publication and spied a great device. A Boiler Ace Plug - we ordered them by the dozen to fix the numerous cargo pipeline leaks we used have on Caltex T2 tankers in the 60s and ofcourse the ubiquitos tins of devcon
Ahhh! Fond memories of Boiler Plugs. Used to replace the thick rubber washer they came with a round piece of neoprene gasket material (more resistant to gasoline).