Anyone remember George Scott?

johnb42
23rd July 2009, 23:16
George came from Aberdeen and was Master in the Bank Line 60's-70's era.
He may still have been there in the 80's.
George was cool before the word was even invented, a really nice guy.
I sailed with him as Mate with my wife and baby boy before it was totally accepted that Mates took their wife with them.
George was a really good Master and a number one human being.
Did anyone else sail with him?

John Campbell
24th July 2009, 07:54
George came from Aberdeen and was Master in the Bank Line 60's-70's era.
He may still have been there in the 80's.
George was cool before the word was even invented, a really nice guy.
I sailed with him as Mate with my wife and baby boy before it was totally accepted that Mates took their wife with them.
George was a really good Master and a number one human being.
Did anyone else sail with him?

I sailed with George (Douglas) Scott in 1959 when he was first trip Chief Mate on the Fleetbank. He spent some time as a surveyor in Aberdeen with George Swan, now lives in Ellon, Aberdeenshire. He was forced to give up seagoing employment through loosing sight of one eye. Sadly he lost his wife last year. I do not see him now and he is reported to be in poor health.
I agree he is a really nice chap.
JC

Charlie Stitt
24th July 2009, 09:47
I sailed with a Dougie Scott, he was 2nd Mate of the Myrtlebank in 1955/56, I was an Apprentice who learned much from him, a great guy to sail with, met him again once when he was Master. He is on the far right of this photo which was taken on Christmas Day 1955.

johnb42
25th July 2009, 00:11
I sailed with George (Douglas) Scott in 1959 when he was first trip Chief Mate on the Fleetbank. He spent some time as a surveyor in Aberdeen with George Swan, now lives in Ellon, Aberdeenshire. He was forced to give up seagoing employment through loosing sight of one eye. Sadly he lost his wife last year. I do not see him now and he is reported to be in poor health.
I agree he is a really nice chap.
JC

John,
I'm sure we are speaking of the same man. Really sorry to hear that he is in poor health.
I have a picture of George in my photos, Christmas 1970 aboard Marabank.
Do you recognise him from this? I don't suppose he is a member here.
John

DCWray
30th July 2009, 08:05
Hi to all you bank line people ,having just joined this site ,mainly to chat on model ship building ,iam amazed at how much information on all things ships ,A really great friend of mine worked for bank line ,i think about mid 60s till 70s ,he was an engineer by the name John Edwards, he has had me in fits of laughter on tales from his days at sea ,do any of you remember him ,i would love to hear ,and shall inform him of this site ,,if he doesnt already know ., regards Phil

rcraig
7th August 2009, 21:37
I sailed as a first trip apprentice with Doug Scott when he was senior apprentice on the "Eastbank" 1952/53, along with Gordon Bruce (died some years back). Pt. Fortin, Cochin and the rest of the Indian coast and then the Calcutta-BA run for a year.....always looking with envy at those on the Japan-E. Africa run before we ultimately experienced paradise ourselves in the second year of the first trip.
He left us I think some time near the end of the first year on completion of his time.
In the picture (less clear than I had hoped) is the "Sparks" in the middle with the 3rd Mate Banks on the right of the photo...can't remember his first name...nephew I think of one of the supers (S. Africa?) who emigrated to N.Z.

johnb42
8th August 2009, 02:28
I sailed as a first trip apprentice with Doug Scott when he was senior apprentice on the "Eastbank" 1952/53, along with Gordon Bruce (died some years back). Pt. Fortin, Cochin and the rest of the Indian coast and then the Calcutta-BA run for a year.....always looking with envy at those on the Japan-E. Africa run before we ultimately experienced paradise ourselves in the second year of the first trip.
He left us I think some time near the end of the first year on completion of his time.
In the picture (less clear than I had hoped) is the "Sparks" in the middle with the 3rd Mate Banks on the right of the photo...can't remember his first name...nephew I think of one of the supers (S. Africa?) who emigrated to N.Z.

rcraig,
Nice photo, thanks for posting. It's definitely the 'George' Scott, I knew. As I said before a top man.

Waighty
14th August 2009, 13:09
I sailed as 2nd Mate on Gowanbank 1974 with George Scott as Master and briefly as Mate on Ivybank in 1981 on the UK coast with him. I don't wish to speak ill of him but my memories of him are anything but rosy. The shenanigans and antics he was capable of had to be witnessed to be believed! He was relieved at anchor in Port Phillip Bay (Melbourne) by Don Carmichael who was a gentleman and a very calming influence after the previous 5 months of turmoil.
Alistair (MacNab) you must remember the carry on in Houston City Docks where George ordered everybody of the ship whilst shore welders fitted additional pad eyes on the weather deck and strengthening below in the TD prior to loading heavy lift cargo. Someone obviously took note hence his being relieved. Sorry but that's the man I knew.

jimthehat
24th August 2009, 08:40
I sailed with a Dougie Scott, he was 2nd Mate of the Myrtlebank in 1955/56, I was an Apprentice who learned much from him, a great guy to sail with, met him again once when he was Master. He is on the far right of this photo which was taken on Christmas Day 1955.

Charlie,
do you happen to have a list of ships that Dougie Scott sailed on ,I look at the photos and I say "I know that face" but i cant place him.
I have either sailed with him or met up someplace .
regards
JIM

Charlie Stitt
24th August 2009, 19:42
Sorry Jim, I remember seeing his name come up on crew lists but have no idea what ships he was on. Only met him once after the Myrtlebank, that was in Calcutta in 1965, I was Mate on the Teakbank and he was Master of a much newer ship, can't remember the name. Unless my memory is playing tricks there was a double stairway leading up to his deck ???. One thing for sure, he was still the same good old Dougie Scott I knew from Myrtlebank.

Derek Roger
24th August 2009, 20:28
Back to George Scott . Was he originally from Dundee and sailed with Bowater?

Derek

AncientBrit
24th August 2009, 21:05
Folks who say " I dont wish to speak ill of" and then do, rank right up there with those folk that say" I dont mean to interupt you"..... You did, you have and will no doubt be judged accordingly.

Ben Masey
15th September 2009, 22:57
Hi,
I sailed with DG Scott on the Weybank with Capt.Kent!!!! My first trip,Doug was Second Mate.
Later I was Mate on the Beechbank,he was Master.This was 1972.
I have no knowledge of him since.
Ben Masey

Steve Taylor
16th September 2009, 13:14
I sailed with Doug Scott on the Elmbank in 1975, we were involved in an attempted salvage of Lindenbank on Fanning (see my post on the Lindenbank thread and the responses about Doug Scott). He seemed to let us all get on with our lives and antics on what I remember to be a pretty easy going trip, especially as we were back in the UK after only 5 months!!
Steve

johnb42
16th September 2009, 18:09
I sailed with Doug Scott on the Elmbank in 1975, we were involved in an attempted salvage of Lindenbank on Fanning (see my post on the Lindenbank thread and the responses about Doug Scott). He seemed to let us all get on with our lives and antics on what I remember to be a pretty easy going trip, especially as we were back in the UK after only 5 months!!
Steve

Steve,
That is very much the man I remember. I mentioned earlier that I had my wife and small son with me on the Marabank, when George was Master. This was in the very early days of Mate's being allowed the priviledge and not all Masters were totally happy with it. George, however, made her feel very much at ease and was very good with my little boy.
John

Waighty
18th September 2009, 13:38
Folks who say " I dont wish to speak ill of" and then do, rank right up there with those folk that say" I dont mean to interupt you"..... You did, you have and will no doubt be judged accordingly.

Contrary to your belief that I spoke ill of George Scott, I did not - in fact I strived to be as nice as I could be. If I had really wanted to put the boot in I could have told the truth. Some snippets: He made the Mate's life a living hell, he made the Captain's Tiger (2nd steward and elderly Bangladeshi) a living hell and he made the Sparky's life a living hell; although being a Marconi man he fought back (in the figurative sense) and found some semblance of peace eventually.

I accept that George may have been under some kind of external pressure, I've never found out what, but whatever it was he was relieved as I stated earlier in this string. When you've had the bridge stool hurled at you, had to tolerate the incessant racket, hours at a time of a piece of 4x4 being pounded up and down on the Master's bathroom deck (immediately above the Mate's cabin) and then witnessed the chartroom gash bin heading to sea from the port bridge wing, it doesn't lend you towards pleasant feelings at the time or in the memory banks.

I hope he found some inner peace eventually.

johnb42
18th September 2009, 21:49
Contrary to your belief that I spoke ill of George Scott, I did not - in fact I strived to be as nice as I could be. If I had really wanted to put the boot in I could have told the truth. Some snippets: He made the Mate's life a living hell, he made the Captain's Tiger (2nd steward and elderly Bangladeshi) a living hell and he made the Sparky's life a living hell; although being a Marconi man he fought back (in the figurative sense) and found some semblance of peace eventually.

I accept that George may have been under some kind of external pressure, I've never found out what, but whatever it was he was relieved as I stated earlier in this string. When you've had the bridge stool hurled at you, had to tolerate the incessant racket, hours at a time of a piece of 4x4 being pounded up and down on the Master's bathroom deck (immediately above the Mate's cabin) and then witnessed the chartroom gash bin heading to sea from the port bridge wing, it doesn't lend you towards pleasant feelings at the time or in the memory banks.

I hope he found some inner peace eventually.

The George Scott that I sailed with for almost a year on the Marabank, bears no resemblance whatsoever, to the character painted above. Far from making anyone's life on board 'hell', I found George to be affable and easy going with everyone aboard.
I can only assume that during the time you sailed with him he was very ill.