Oriana

Paul UK
25th July 2009, 18:59
Hi All

Just got back from Oriana from a 7 day trip around the bay of biscay, this ship is great as so many have reported before, but what is happinging with the great P and O.

Please dont get me wrong as I love this company " well I must I met my wife on Arcadia 3" However the ports chosen seen to have been some of the cheapest around for example the one in brest we went passed all the better quays and tied up alongside a dry dock and a scrap yard and in Le Verdon the Quayside was the actual container yard, Le Corunna was nice but Bilbao was a 20 minute coach drive to the town.

On the ship the hot water was turned off on the morning of disembarkation and also on the same day you could use before the tea and coffee machines for free while waiting to get off but not now.

It just seen a few corners are being cut as well as costs.

Any thoughts

Paul

PS also charges are being made for some on ship entertainment and flogging of other things like diet programmes !!!!

R58484956
25th July 2009, 19:25
Paul just got back from a QM2 cruise. It was absolutely superb , you could not fault a single thing. Some of the frequent cruisers mentioned that P&O seemed to be going down hill a little. I did not like to hear that as I was ex P&O.

Paul UK
26th July 2009, 19:40
My thoughts as well , good to hear that QM2 has come up to the grade

Paul

shamrock
26th July 2009, 19:51
Carol Marlow is taking over at P&O so things should pick back up again....she was in charge at Cunard.

However, with the demise of Ocean Village it has been said that Carnival Corporation want to entice OV guests to P&O by dumbing down the formality, so perhaps that is what you experienced aboard Oriana to a degree.

Once Carol gets herself settled, things will sort themselves out, but in the eyes of Carnival Corporation, P&O/Princess can never be better than their flagship companies...Cunard, HAL and Seabourn.

P&O, Princess, Costa, AIDA, Iberocruceros will always be slightly more mainstream and aimed towards the family cruiser rather than the higher echelon.

Some will argue that Carnival Corporation was the best thing that ever happened to these companies, others will tell you otherwise. They have all started to cut back on quality and service levels, some more subtle than others.

Pompeyfan
27th July 2009, 01:01
Interested to hear your report Paul. Was Hamish Reid captain?. I forgot you were going, and has meant to contact you before hand and e-mailed Hamish in advance of your boarding.

The diet programmes have been going for ages, trying everything to get you to go up to the Oasis Salon for treatment for many things. It is a total rip off.

Charging for some entertainment is news to me, and was not in force when aboard her in April, but I noticed people were eating elsewhere, paying for it rather than eating in the main restaurants where the food has certainly gone downhill. In fact it was pretty ropey on the world cruise two years ago, but I found Aurora much better for food. I think it depends of the Chef.

As for the ports, this seems typical of P&O nowadays. On her world cruise we docked at the main terminals in most of the ports out to Australia, but when I got off, friends on board told me they docked in some pretty bad places, often miles from town as you report, and on container berths. Even in Hong Kong she did not berth at the passenger terminal. I would have liked to have stayed aboard just to see the terminal again, but could not afford it. But just as well. A Holland American ship was there that was with us in Suva. Companies book these berths years in advance so no excuse except financial. I saw her berthed at Bilbao once when aboard Pride of Bilbao. Yes, it was miles from Bilbao.

She had a few engineering problems a couple of years ago.

David

Paul UK
27th July 2009, 02:37
Hi David

It was Chris wells in charge, food was great though, it was just the niggly disapointments.

Paul

Pompeyfan
27th July 2009, 10:28
Hi David

It was Chris wells in charge, food was great though, it was just the niggly disapointments.

Paul

I know Chris as well, he is relief captain and was skipper at our Canberra Reunion aboard Oriana. But Hamish was not back for long it seems rejoining soon after our cruise. He was lambing in April and before having a farm in Scotland.

David