Benhope

Paul Braxton
15th September 2005, 11:15
I spent quite a bit of time on Benhope with Captain Cowie. The last time I saw him was at Heathrow when we paid off together and he was about to get off home to (I think) S. Shields.
Anyone any idea of his current whereabouts? I'd like to say hello if he's still around.
Paul

EBenarty
11th October 2005, 00:55
Sadly both the brothers have recently died ( Ralph and Donald ). Donalds son ( Peter )is Master on supply Boats in the North Sea.I had the pleasure of sailing with Donald when I was Second Mate - he was a real gentleman !!
Billy

Paul Braxton
9th February 2006, 10:45
Thanks for the info on Capt. Cowie. I didn't know he had a brother, or at least I don't remember him telling me... still, it was a long time ago.

Ralph was a good bloke as I recall. He used to occasionally throw 'wobblies' and chuck everybody off the bridge then next day he'd come and grovel, apologizing profusely. Once saw him deck the second mate and next day couldn't do enough for him. Used to be quite embarrassing. An unforgettable character and I was glad to have sailed with him.

EBenarty
14th February 2006, 00:16
Never sailed wih Ralph but I heard about him !!! Donald was a gentleman - I was on the Lawers when Donald met him on the Gloe in Hong Kong. And we were all spectators - - only one winner - Donald
Billy

Paul Barford
11th April 2006, 15:45
Sailed with Ralph on the Benattow and later on the Benhope, despite throwing his occasional wobbler,he was a fine man and got on well with him. The wobblers always seemed to be directed at his own department,so us engineers were usually ok!
I remember on the 'Hopes second voyage,Hamburg to Puerto Ordaz,back to Ghent. On the return leg, 2nd Mate (Chris someone)got his navigation a bit wrong and we came across the Azores (or was it Ascencion?) 'unexpectedly' ! (Cloud) This was a 'wobbler' starter and the poor 2nd.Mate had to hide until Ralphie cooled down.
Happy days!
Cheers, Paul

EBenarty
13th April 2006, 00:57
Sailed with Ralph on the Benattow and later on the Benhope, despite throwing his occasional wobbler,he was a fine man and got on well with him. The wobblers always seemed to be directed at his own department,so us engineers were usually ok!
I remember on the 'Hopes second voyage,Hamburg to Puerto Ordaz,back to Ghent. On the return leg, 2nd Mate (Chris someone)got his navigation a bit wrong and we came across the Azores (or was it Ascencion?) 'unexpectedly' ! (Cloud) This was a 'wobbler' starter and the poor 2nd.Mate had to hide until Ralphie cooled down.
Happy days!
Cheers, Paul

Was that Chris Cladinngbowl by any chance ? I remember hearing that story from someone !!

Paul Barford
15th April 2006, 16:10
Hi Ebenarty,
no it wasn't Chris Claddingbowl as far as I remeber he was a lad from down south somewhere.

Chris Claddingbowl I also sailed with on the Benlomond when we were the first Ben in the Suez after it reopened, also later on the 'Attow. He was s*** scared of Ralphie !!
Paul

EBenarty
15th April 2006, 23:09
Hi Ebenarty,
no it wasn't Chris Claddingbowl as far as I remeber he was a lad from down south somewhere.

Chris Claddingbowl I also sailed with on the Benlomond when we were the first Ben in the Suez after it reopened, also later on the 'Attow. He was s*** scared of Ralphie !!
Paul

John Philipps ???

Paul Barford
16th April 2006, 11:50
Not him either!

corydoras
1st June 2006, 14:23
I sailed with Ralph Cowie and his brother Donald.

I sailed with Donald on the Benavon (the box boat). My Last trip at sea was in 1985 with Ralph Cowie on the Bencruachan (bulker)

As has been posted earlier both brothers are now dead.

Moulder
2nd September 2006, 21:38
I sailed on Benhope/GJZD as first trip 2nd RO in July 1971 - my boss was George Dickson - of whom I have very fond memories.
My other shipmates were:-
Capt. Henderson.
Ch.Off. Paul Tennant.
1st.Mate. Muir Kay.
2nd Mate. Alistair ??????????
3rd Mate. Jim Grainger.
Deck Cadets Tam ?????? & Andy Airey.
C/Eng. Charlie McLaugchlin
2/Eng. David Green.
Jnr Engs. Davey Bales - John Bannister.
Oh well - memory not that good.
I joined her in London in July 1971 - and paid-off in Liverpool in the November. Can anyone fill in the blanks - were you there?

baileysan
3rd September 2006, 21:58
I shall show my age.

The Cowie brothers were related to the quite famous ship chandlers in South Shields by the same name.
Also their father was Master, his full background I am not sure about. However when I was about 9/10 years old my father was Chief Engineer on vessels belonging to the Shamrock Shipping Comany of Larne. I saied with him on numerous times during my school holidays and on one voyage on the Inver we went to Hamburg for scrap thence the Tyne to London with coal. Capt. Cowie was Master and Ralph was Second Officer. (I may have the names mixed up) I had a wonderfull time bearing in mind this was about 1947/48 and Hamburg was just recovering. The Old Capt Cowie could also throw the wobbles as I recall, he was also fond of a wee dram as was my father. I spent lots of time on the bridge with Ralph (Donald) and I remember him fondly.
I also remember in later years hearing that both brothers were Masters in Ben Line and sailed with an fellow shipyard apprentice of mine Eddie Matthews.

So sorry to hear they have both passed away.

Paul Barford
14th September 2006, 17:12
Being an ex- South Shields lad myself, didn't realise the full connection of the brothers. As stsated previously, I sailed with Ralphie a couple of times, but only met Donald. There was also Willie Cowie who was around my age and I believe he was a cousin from Buckie.
Eddie Matthews was my first C/E on the Bennevis, he was a nice bloke, being an ex-shipyard apprentice myself also helped!
All the best,
Paul

Roddy Munro
20th September 2006, 18:46
I did a few trips with a Willie Cowie, A>B> from Buckie late 60,s
Maybe not the same person.But often wondered what became of him.
Roddy Munro

Taleso
18th October 2006, 21:33
(==D) Hi Ben Hopers

Hitting quite near the spot where contacts could be made.

Paul Tennant - Yes sailed with him on Ben Hope
Muir Kay – The best of the bunch! Last time met just months ago at an old shipmates daughters’ wedding
The Cowie Skippers – Sailed Benvalla W. Cowie 2.12.66 to 6.07.68 so knew him well as a gentleman.
Charlie Mc Glaughlan – Brilliant nutcase also ex City Line same Company as my oldest brother.

Best regards,
Taleso

fitlike
27th October 2006, 17:46
I sailed with Ralph Cowie on the Ben Attow 1976, We were in Colombo in Sri Lanka and we were greasing the life boat wires and Ralph came out on deck we saw his eyes were crossed so he had been drinking, there was a local lying sleeping and Ralph picked him up a throw him down on the deck.
happy days
Eric Cardno

Paul Barford
29th October 2006, 11:36
Remember that trip well,
I was the 3/E at the time,stuck in Colombo with boiler F.D. fan failure and various other faults! Sailing on her was a health hazard in more ways that one,but happy days!

fitlike
29th October 2006, 18:14
Fit Like Paul
Thats some photo you have attached I have it on my computer desktop on the oil rig that I work on, in 1976 I was JOS at the time, I did 3 voyages on the Attow, it was the best job ever. I will have to look out the photoes from the Benattow and post them on
Eric

Paul Barford
30th October 2006, 12:22
Fit like Eric?
I'll pull out some of my old photo's too, maybe start another thread for the 'Attow?
Paul(Thumb)

Moulder
27th May 2007, 19:27
Has anyone got inboard photos of the Benhope circa 1971?

She was my first ship and was scrapped 2 voyages later in 1972. Any of the radio room or wheelhouse would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Steve.
(Thumb)

clive cowie
6th August 2008, 22:06
I shall show my age.

The Cowie brothers were related to the quite famous ship chandlers in South Shields by the same name.
Also their father was Master, his full background I am not sure about. However when I was about 9/10 years old my father was Chief Engineer on vessels belonging to the Shamrock Shipping Comany of Larne. I saied with him on numerous times during my school holidays and on one voyage on the Inver we went to Hamburg for scrap thence the Tyne to London with coal. Capt. Cowie was Master and Ralph was Second Officer. (I may have the names mixed up) I had a wonderfull time bearing in mind this was about 1947/48 and Hamburg was just recovering. The Old Capt Cowie could also throw the wobbles as I recall, he was also fond of a wee dram as was my father. I spent lots of time on the bridge with Ralph (Donald) and I remember him fondly.
I also remember in later years hearing that both brothers were Masters in Ben Line and sailed with an fellow shipyard apprentice of mine Eddie Matthews.

So sorry to hear they have both passed away.

I came across this site when browsing the internet the other evening.

Donald and Ralph were my cousins, and their father, also Donald, was my father's brother and one of my favourite uncles. The ship chandler you mention was my Uncle John, and had his business on Ferry Street in South Shields. I spent time in the '50s going around the ship yards with one of his lorry drivers.

I was only 9 or 10 when Uncle Donald died of cancer in about 1950/51. Before that my father and I also sailed on the "Inver" from Tyne Dock in South Shields to London and back with him. We slept on his bunk and he slept on the day berth. One of the things I will always remember was the toilet in the Captain's cabin - it was on a raised platform, quite elaborate, rather like a throne, and had a flush lever like the handbrake on a car.

By this time Donald and Ralph were already at sea with Ben Line. There was also an older brother - Alexander(Sandy). He had sailed with Ben Line initally as an engineer, but moved on and rose to Chief Engineer in other Companies - Watts Watts is one that comes to mind.

The brothers were older than me and I looked up to them as heroes.They were the inspiration for my going to sea as an apprentice with NZS Co when I left school in 1959. However my love of flying had been sparked when I was lowered into the cockpit of a Typhoon fighter at a flying display in the late '40s, and after completing my Second Mate's "Ticket", I joined the R.A.F. and have been in the flying business, both military and civil until I retired two years ago.

celsis
8th August 2008, 13:05
Sailed with Donald Cowie on the Avon, 82/3. Can't remember much about him except that he was a bit pissed off with joining on the 22nd December......