P&O Nedlloyd Michelangelo

david smith
15th September 2005, 18:37
P&O Nedlloyd Michelangelo arriving Hamburg sept 9th 2005. Launched as Michelangelo Star 2005

John Leary
15th September 2005, 19:33
Hi David
I photographed the P&O Nedlloyd Michelangelo arriving in the Solent in July of this year. Will look it out and post it later.
Regards
John

david smith
15th September 2005, 19:48
Her arrival co-incided with my "Grosse Hafenrundfahrt" last Friday in Hamburg. Managed by Blue Satr Gmbh, Blue Star Flags were flown from offices opposite.
On the last containerships I sailed on, 3,000 teu was a lot (Manchester Challenge), but 8,000+ is huge!

ContFan
26th September 2005, 23:30
David,
Do you happen to know who owned her when launched and named Michelangelo Star?.
It does not sound like a P&O Nedlloyd name. I can not remember P&O Nedlloyd having a ship with the word Star in the name.
Cheers,
ContFan.

fiftyfifty
22nd October 2005, 20:43
P&O Nedlloyd have a management company based in Germany Called Blue Star,who have the rights to the Blue Star name and funnel. Guess thats where it came from. Breaks my heart to see a Blue Star Funnel all square and stubby. Bring back proper Blue Star funnels

Brian Dobbie
18th November 2005, 15:12
Soon to be renamed with a Maersk prefix name.
I sail on her sistership the PONL Manet and we are to become the Maersk Santana and withdraw from the grand alliance run from Europe to China.
They are huge ships at 8450teu capacity. Normal service speed is 24.5knots and she uses 245tonne/day.
The engine is the latest RTA-flex, no camshaft, all electronic.

Brian Dobbie

R58484956
18th November 2005, 15:24
Welcome aboard Chief (Brian) you are now amongst the sea/ship loving fraternity. Most of us left years ago, but our minds are still there, although we do have some members like yourself still afloat, look after your junior engineers. Chiefs in my time did not talk to juniors. Bon Voyage.

ruud
18th November 2005, 17:08
Ahoy,
Here a list from Maersk renaming:

PONL VALENTINA - NEDLLOYD VALENTINA
PONL JULIANA - NEDLLOYD JULIANA
COLOMBO BAY - MAERSK DELMONT
PONL GENOA - MAERSK PHUKET
PONL REGINA - MAERSK NOTTINGHAM
REPULSE BAY - MAERSK DALTON
PROVIDENCE BAY - MAERSK DAUPHIN
PONL JAKARTA - MAERSK PENANG
PONL KOWLOON - MAERSK KIMI
PONL LOS ANGELES - MAERSK VUNGTAU
PONL NINA - NEDLLOYD NINA
SINGAPORE BAY - MAERSK DARTFORD
PONL M****ILLE - MAERSK PATRAS
PONL TARANAKI - MAERSK TARANAKI
PONL DRAKE - NEDLLOYD DRAKE
PONL MERCATOR - NEDLLOYD MERCATOR
PONL MAXIMA - NEDLLOYD MAXIMA
ORIENTAL BAY - MAERSK MONTREAL
PONL ADELAIDE - NEDLLOYD ADELAIDE
PONL DUBAI - NEDLLOYD DUBAI
PONL MICHELANGELO - MAERSK SARNIA
PONL TESLIN - NEDLLOYD TESLIN
PONL AUCKLAND - MAERSK PALERMO
PONL ROTTERDAM - MAERSK KALMAR
PONL COOK - MAERSK KITHIRA
PONL MARITA - NEDLLOYD MARITA
PONL SYDNEY - MAERSK PEMBROKE
JERVIS BAY - MAERSK DAWSON
NEDLLOYD HONG KONG - MAERSK MIAMI
SHENZHEN BAY - MAERSK DELANO
PONL SHACKLETON - MAERSK KYRENIA
PONL SUSANA - MAERSK NOLANVILLE
NEWPORT BAY - MAERSK DARLINGTON
PONL MANET - MAERSK SANTANA
PONL TASMAN - NEDLLOYD TASMAN
PONL ADRIANA - NEDLLOYD ADRIANA
PONL HOUTMAN - MAERSK KAMPALA
PONL SOUTHAMPTON- MAERSK KIEL
PONL EVITA - NEDLLOYD EVITA
PENINSULAR BAY - MAERSK MADRID
PONL MONDRIAAN - MAERSK SANA
PONL HUDSON - NEDLLOYD HUDSON
PONL STUYVESANT - MAERSK KINGSTON
PONL KOBE - MAERSK KARACHI
PONL BRISBANE - MAERSK NARA
PONL COLOMBO - NEDLLOYD COLOMBO
PONL HOUSTON - NEDLLOYD HOUSTON
PONL DE LIEFDE - NEDLLOYD DE LIEFDE
MERCOSUL URUGUAY - MAERSK ERIMO
PONL BARENTSZ - NEDLLOYD BARENTSZ
PONL SAVANNAH - MAERSK NANHAI

Note:These names aren't confirmed yet, but you may count on that.

Brian Dobbie
19th November 2005, 13:58
Welcome aboard Chief (Brian) you are now amongst the sea/ship loving fraternity. Most of us left years ago, but our minds are still there, although we do have some members like yourself still afloat, look after your junior engineers. Chiefs in my time did not talk to juniors. Bon Voyage.

OK thanks for the welcome. However Junior Engineers are a dead breed. The Cadets go from Cadet to 3OE now, there are no 5/E's or 4/E's. We sail with 1OE + 2OE + 3OE and Ukrainian Electrician. The Ratings are all Filipino, one Oiler,One Wiper and a Fitter.
Some of the ships are now top 4 onlt the rest of the Officers are also Filipino, changed days since I started.

Brian

Brian Dobbie
19th November 2005, 14:15
Seen here on trials. All eight sisterships should be the same. Built at IHI Japan.

R58484956
19th November 2005, 15:53
Hi Brian, (Chief)I reckon you are now between Singapore 13th Suez 23rd, and back here in Southampton 29th. I trust a qualification for sailing today must be speak the English language, otherwise carry an interpreter, unless you get a ticket in another language, spanish perhaps, like on the P&O a bit of Hindi came in usefull

Brian Dobbie
20th November 2005, 16:03
Not quite on her yet, I rejoin Europe.
Check out www.purplefinder.com via the PONL website. This will give you the exact position and speed of Manet. She is slow steaming from Singapore to Suez. Also she just passed her sistership Michelangelo enroute Suez to Port Kelang.
Brain

Doxfordman
22nd November 2005, 06:55
I guess the days of "pulling" units in port are long gone. Probably all doen in yearly maintenance periods and then by shore side??
An old Chief!

Brian Dobbie
22nd November 2005, 13:07
The ship operates five years between drydocks and never stops. the maintenance is carried out under a GMC (Global Maintenance Contract) by the Engine Builders.
We are on a fixed day/time arrival schedule, never any down time for maintenance.
I was Cadet through to Second on Doxfords but now all Sulzers. Only a couple of years to go then I will be retired.

brian

Doxfordman
22nd November 2005, 23:20
Brian,
Presumably the ship is UMS? Is all of the maintenance carried out by contractors with the "lads" doing the basic watchkeeping, duties, "on the box" routines, or do still carry out genset, pumps, etc type maintenance.
Seems a changed world since I hung up me boots and shifter in the early 80's.
I loved the job but as most of us, hated being away from the family. Big problem is in shore side tech management, you still end up being away just as much, for less pay and hardly any leave! Why do we do it!

EMMESSTEE
23rd November 2005, 12:31
"Why do we do it!!"

You've been watching too many car-yard adverts Dox!

--------------------
Mike.

Brian Dobbie
23rd November 2005, 18:17
Family life ain't too bad as we are now on a back/back manning system for Masters and Chiefs.
Yes we always run unmanned, I have been sailing on unmanned tonnage for 20+ years now. Engineers are on watches only in a dire emergency.
We do some maintenance but the Manet and sisterships are RBS (Hamburg) Managed and they favour the GMC.
Given we have a 12cylinder Main Engine and four 7cylinder generators then we don't really have enough staff onboard to do all the maintenance.
Still enough to do during 8-5 Monday to Saturday and 8-12 Sunday.

Brian

Doxfordman
23rd November 2005, 21:23
Wow, with working hours like that, I think I'll go back to sea!!! I wonder what I did with my shifter and boots.........I have an STCW 95 ticket!

david smith
23rd November 2005, 21:31
Willmy lifeboatman and steering cetificate get me anywhere?

ContFan
24th November 2005, 10:28
Hi Brian,
Sorry to ask the stupid question of the day but what do you mean when you say....."we always run unmanned"
Very interested in your posts and Manet is one of my favourite PONL ships or Maersk now.
Cheers,
ContFan

Brian Dobbie
24th November 2005, 14:47
Greetings.
"Unmanned" = UMS= Unmanned Machinery Space.
The ship has such a high degreee of automation that during the hours 17.00 till 08.00 she runs without anyone in the engine room.
If required the engine can be controlled from the bridge and all other machinery has stby back up systems waiting to kick in if a problem with running machinery should take place.
Basically during the day we only have a look round and complete check lists and logs. The big girl looks after herself as long as the Windows based control system does not play funny b-----s.
Brian

R58484956
24th November 2005, 15:31
The "ships Windows" software must be a different "windows" to what I am useing, my windows I would not even put on a bike let alone a ship. Put my "windows" on a ship and you would be in the Guiness book of records in no time as the longest voyage from A to B.

ContFan
24th November 2005, 20:01
Very interesting Brian and thanks for the reply.

Very true R58484956,
my windows is prone to wabbles and fits.
Hangs itself most weeks, so no good for a ship the size of Manet.
Would go round in circles or be grounded. (*))
cherrs,
ContFan. (Thumb)

Doxfordman
25th November 2005, 05:18
I suspect they use Windows NT, or even XP dependent on the age. We still use NT ofr a lot of control functions on our craft. Brian, is that the case?
I presume you go manned for st bys??

ContFan
25th November 2005, 08:06
Hi ruud,
looking at the P&ONL web site, PONL Hunter Valley has no further schedule from the end of November 2005.
Is she being renamed?, can not see her on your list, which l must say is very useful.Thanks.
Any news on her?.
If she is a charter vessel that has ended her contract, which ship has replaced her on the RTW voyages.
Hope you can help.
Regards,
ContFan. (Thumb)

ruud
25th November 2005, 10:40
Ahoy ContFan,

I'm not sure, but if you go the PONL site, and click on her name as PONL Hunter Valley, then she is be shown as Buxlink, I thought she was chartered by the German NSB, maybe they have more news about her ID

Note:
Just saw that her name was changed on 31-10-2005
Name of shipDate of recordSource
BUXLINK31-10-2005LRF
P&O NEDLLOYD HUNTER VALLEY14-10-2002LRF
AKER MTW 1401-08-2000LRF

R58484956
25th November 2005, 15:00
It seems as though it is no good getting engineering tickets these days, you have to get PC or IT tickets instead, now got three engineering tickets going cheap.

ContFan
26th November 2005, 03:07
Hi ruud,
Many thanks for the info.
That clears up one mystery for me.
Wondered were Buxhill came from.
She is currently 3 days out from Le Harve west bound for New York.
Love tracking these RTW ships.
Any update on the name changes, please post.
Not sure l will be able to remember all of these new Maersk names
(EEK)
Cheers,
ContFan
(Thumb)

SHANE
7th December 2005, 23:36
hi lads . shane kujawiak here, all these new ships make me sick,,ide rather have the old far easters.what do you think?

ruud
7th December 2005, 23:43
Ahoy Shane,

You've got to get used to those so called "box boats", the old freighters are all gone, well almost; and we're glad to see once in a while these oldies.But times are changed.We[spotters] are lucky, if 1 on 100 or more, vessels is an oldie.

ContFan
8th December 2005, 04:53
The old far east frieghters were classics for me, like Blue Funnel Line and Blue Star Line. Missed now, but l do find the modern container ships interesting and fun to spot when l can.
If you want to talk real ugly, look at the car carriers (EEK) , no doubt someone out there will disagree and say they are beautiful (*)) .
Very one to there own, yeah (Thumb)
Cheers,
ContFan (Thumb)

SHANE
3rd January 2006, 21:39
hi lads . does anyone remember norman skeggs?. he was my first bosun on the m.v mairangi bay. he was a very large man who liked a bevvy, and olso knew his seamanship very well. olso an other man who was called lennie perry?. cheers lads. shane kuji.

Bob S
25th June 2006, 14:56
P&O Nedlloyd Michelangelo arriving Hamburg sept 9th 2005. Launched as Michelangelo Star 2005

P&O Nedlloyd Michelangelo is now operating as MAERSK SARNIA. Seen at felixstowe on the 17/06/06.

andy72
30th March 2009, 09:01
Hi Shane,
I remember Norman Skeggs. He was the Bosun on my first trip also, on the Remuera Bay in 1989. As you say, a big bloke who liked a beer to put it mildly. I haven't seen or heard anything about him since I left in 1997 but from what I remeber he was from Liverpool but had moved to Anglesea. Funilly enough, that first trip I also sailed with your brother Russ, who was a steward. How are Russ and Andy? I sailed with Andy quite a few times on the old far easters, though I think I sailed with Ryss just the twice - on the Rem and then again on the Liverpool Bay, I think. Again, I havent seen anything of them since I left in 97. Are any of you still at sea? Chrs Andy

Scorpanicus
3rd July 2010, 00:21
hi lads . does anyone remember norman skeggs?. he was my first bosun on the m.v mairangi bay. he was a very large man who liked a bevvy, and olso knew his seamanship very well. olso an other man who was called lennie perry?. cheers lads. shane kuji.

I remember Norman. Good seaman. I sailed with him years ago (1966?) on Blue Flu's Jason when he was an AB. He was living in Liverpool at that time l think, but a lot of the crowd were from North Wales.