Rfa Bayleaf.

OLD STRAWBERRY
1st August 2009, 19:02
What's the word on RFA BAYLEAF?. I thought She was also on the disposal list. But according to Liverpool AIS She is steaming around in Lyme Bay and has also been around the Portland Area's for a while.

wigger
1st August 2009, 19:11
Hasn't Bayleaf just come out of a refit? Possibly a few more years in her yet.
Craig

Pat Kennedy
1st August 2009, 20:42
RFA Bayleaf was in Birkenhead from October 08 to June 09 for a major refit by Cammell Laird.
Photo of her leaving at this link;
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/180699/ppuser/12939

Regards,
Pat

STRAWBERRY
5th August 2009, 20:08
Bayleaf Currently in Portland until the end of August. She has just had a refit, and is still under RFA Conditions. The law regarding single skin tankers are what the many rumours have been about the leaf class all being fazed-out. they have realised a way of retaining them a little longers by only having the centre tanks full of fuel, assuming then that all the AVCAT fwd tanks are now Ballast! what this has to do with single skin I don't know, because she is still single skin whether they empty fwd tanks or not. In a Nut shell...they are still working, and are likely to be for the near future...unless anyone else has any other info! Andy

stevo r6 86
17th August 2009, 18:04
hi strawberry, on the leaf class tankers the chambers are three abrest 1 thin chamber either side of the middle main chambers the outside ones are used for ballast im guessing with the water being on the outside tanks in effect it is doubled skinned to a certain extant as to if the outside skin penetrated only water would be lost.

STRAWBERRY
23rd August 2009, 22:26
Yep, that rings a bell! silly really, I should have known that...I have spent enough hours tank cleaning them in the past on Appleleaf, Bramble, orange and the bay! Thanks for jogging my memory. Andy