Merchant Navy

Pompeyfan
16th September 2005, 11:44
Out of interest, did anyone attend the Merchant Navy Day celebrations at Tower Hill London on 4th September 2005 or even know it existed?. After years of lobbying, the Merchant Navy Association(to which I am a member)formed in 1989, achieved a National Merchant Navy Day to be held every year, the first being held on 3rd September 2000. David

Doug Rogers
16th September 2005, 11:59
Sorry David, bit far to come, I was however aware of the occasion and was with you in spirit.

michael james
16th September 2005, 18:21
David,I know I live out in the sticks but I didnt know the date, shame, pity it wasnt advertised on site, at least I would have raised the flag pole and hoisted the red duster !!.

Pompeyfan
16th September 2005, 22:14
Michael, if I am still around next year I will post the date of next years Merchant Navy Day on this site. Looking at my diary I would say it will be on Sunday 3rd September again at Tower Hill. David

John Rogers
16th September 2005, 23:55
Michael and David it was mentioned by a couple of our ship mates here on the board, I even posted a picture of the Red Duster flying from my flag pole at home that very day. Check gallery.
John

KenLin39
17th September 2005, 01:41
Michael, if I am still around next year I will post the date of next years Merchant Navy Day on this site. Looking at my diary I would say it will be on Sunday 3rd September again at Tower Hill. David

David, next years Merchant Navy Day will be on the 3rd Sept as it will be every year. Commemoration at Tower Hill is held on the 1st Sunday in Sept.Ken.

Jeff Egan
17th September 2005, 11:34
There are ceremonies all over the country, we have one here at the Mill Dam in South Shields every year.

Pompeyfan
18th September 2005, 12:05
Great to hear it Jeff. I go to London because there is not a branch of the Merchant Navy Association on the island or south coast to my knowledge, although there are most likely ceremonies closer to me that I am not aware of. David.