Mercantile marine reserve

bomb
4th August 2009, 15:36
Please can anyone tell me anything about this in WW1?
I have an ancestor who served in the Royal Navy in HMS Champagne, an auxiliary cruiser formerly Oropesa, but he had a Continuous Certificate of Discharge book stamped T124X which I believe meant he was MMR

Billy1963
4th August 2009, 16:26
To deal with the shortfall in manpower, a number of officers and men of the Merchant Marine agreed to serve with the Royal Navy under the terms of T.124 agreements, which made them subject to Naval discipline while generally retaining their Merchant Marine rates of pay and other conditions

ROBERT HENDERSON
4th August 2009, 17:13
I remember these at Harwich during the war. It applied to the paddle steamers that were put under the White Ensign, the Masters and Mates were given RN ranks as were the ratings.
The building that is now the Town Hall at Harwich was HMS Minerva, HQ for t124t which were merchant tugs put under the White Ensign, serveral of the Sun tugs were based at Harwich during the war.

Regards Robert

bomb
4th August 2009, 19:13
Thanks. The mystery is he was not in the merchant fleet before or after his RN service.

Billy1963
5th August 2009, 20:26
Please can anyone tell me anything about this in WW1?
I have an ancestor who served in the Royal Navy in HMS Champagne, an auxiliary cruiser formerly Oropesa, but he had a Continuous Certificate of Discharge book stamped T124X which I believe meant he was MMR

If he had a Continuous Certificate of Discharge Book, would suggest he was Merchant Marine/Navy

bomb
21st April 2011, 14:34
Further information has been found. He was in MMR and the number on his Continuous Certificate of Discharge book is 946561. This is not his official number so I guess is any old book replacing his after being torpedoed. Should the numbers be the same? Any views, please?