Mystery plate

Grouty
5th August 2009, 17:53
Hi found this plate whilst diving on sea bed nr dover long shot but anyone know what line its from age etc?

Klaatu83
5th August 2009, 18:09
If that flag on the bottom is meant to represent a steamship company's house flag, then it could be the Japanese NYK Line.

Dickyboy
5th August 2009, 19:10
I was going to say that the picture looked oriental.

fred henderson
5th August 2009, 19:45
The plate could be from the NYK liner Terukuni Maru that hit a mine in the mouth of the Thames on 21 November 1939 and sank 45 minutes later. On the other hand a steward could have dropped it overboard from any NYK ship!(Jester)

Fred (Thumb)

trotterdotpom
5th August 2009, 20:07
NYK house flag is red and white. Given the colours on the top of the plate, wouldn't they have used the correct colours for the houseflag, if that's what it is.

Maybe someone didn't want to wash up! Nice plate though.

John T.

Santos
5th August 2009, 20:16
This is the logo on NYK Line plates, dishes etc - does not look like the back of the the found plate .

Chris.

Peter4447
5th August 2009, 21:11
Where MN china is 'bottom marked' the tendancy was to use just one colour for both the wording and the Houseflag if it was shown. I have many examples of these bottom marked single colour Houseflags in my collection and I would certainly say this is a very attractive piece from the NYK Line.
Regards
Peter4447(Thumb)

Grouty
6th August 2009, 00:14
Thanks guys I've been trying to trace this plate for a while now it sounds like it could be from NYK line - I'm off to investigate more now you've whetted my appetite to do so again.

Thanks to SN I now have at last somewhere to ask the what is this who was that questions other sites seem to promise but seldom deliver!

Grouty