TT Calshot

B Wales
6th August 2009, 23:42
Does anyone know or heard any news on the former Red Funnel Tug Tender "Calshot" (1930) that is moored in the Eastern Docks?.

When it was bought by the Southampton City Council in the late 1980's a great deal of money was spent on it and later it was left rusting away and almost sold for scrap, but taken over by a Preservation Trust who were to apply for Funding and now seams to no longer exsist as the Website is gone.

I have heard reports that she may have to vacate the present berth soon and if the present owners can not move the "Calshot", it will be sold for scrap!

Mendi
11th August 2009, 19:05
Nope. Strange how this always seems to happen.

Peter Hartung
20th November 2010, 06:56
Still alive and swimming: TT "CALSHOT"

Does anyone know or heard any news on the former Red Funnel Tug Tender "Calshot" (1930) that is moored in the Eastern Docks?.

When it was bought by the Southampton City Council in the late 1980's a great deal of money was spent on it and later it was left rusting away and almost sold for scrap, but taken over by a Preservation Trust who were to apply for Funding and now seams to no longer exsist as the Website is gone.

I have heard reports that she may have to vacate the present berth soon and if the present owners can not move the "Calshot", it will be sold for scrap!

Good Morning,

received on November 2010 following mail from Mr. Delderfield of the "Tug Tender CALSHOT Trust":

To-date we have re-instated the "Woodbine Funnel" to bring her appearance back to the original aspect. We are also in the process of applying to the Heritage Lottery Fund for a substantial grant to restore her to a standard fit for public use and as a Maritime Museum. I am attaching the latest picture of the Calshot with the new Queen Elizabeth on her Maiden Voyage, which will give you some idea of the work already carried out by us and our volunteers. If you print this picture please ensure that the photographer's name is included as he has given us permission to use it on that agreement.
unquote

Link to the actual photo here: http://www.das-floss-der-medusa.de/images/queenelizabethcalshot.jpg

I am sure you will enjoy the photo.

Best regards from Germany
by Peter Hartung

R58484956
20th November 2010, 14:10
Greetings Peter and welcome to SN on your first interesting posting. Bon voyage.