The Posh Club

notnila
8th August 2009, 01:11
Last weekend at a car boot sale( I know,sad B@stard!)I bought a boxed set of 8 drinks coasters.Each one has a copy of a painting of a P&O ship,from the"Lady Mary Wood" of 1842 to the"Medina"of 1911.The black box is embossed in gold lettering"With the compliments of The P.O.S.H.Club".A sticker on the box gives a ladies name and Cabin F 244.It's obviously some kind of freebie,do any of you P&O guys know when this would have been given away?Not bad for 50p I thought.

Boseley
21st September 2009, 15:51
Port
Out
Starboard
Home

non descript
21st September 2009, 16:23
Whilst I accept that the original question was not about the derivation and or fake history of the phrase, but if it helps, I believe there is another pack of cards, with the acronym BFE… Beware Fake Etymology (http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq/posh.htm) .. they are even more valuable. (Jester)

benjidog
21st September 2009, 22:19
This is basically P & O cashing in on that old saying. They had a P.O.S.H. club and loads of memorabilia. I was going to say tat until remembering that I have some of those coasters as wel!.

notnila
22nd September 2009, 22:59
OK Fellas,but does anyone know when they were ,or are they still,given away?
Regards
Arch

benjidog
22nd September 2009, 23:45
Arch,

I didn't know these mats had been given away so that is interesting. I know we have a good few P&O folks on here including Pompeyfan, but I am not sure how much time they would have spent in the gift shop. The mats I had didn't have a box so maybe they were freebies as well?

After checking again amongst my pile of junk, I also have a set of 6 boxed placemats which the receipt says are thought to be from the 1970s era. They have pictures of different P&O ships through the ages on them. I think I paid around a fiver for them a couple of years ago on eBay.

Duncan112
23rd September 2009, 21:42
Still going - approved suppliers - how many times have we heard that when buying overpriced school uniforms etc

http://www.po-shopping.com/shop/3/index.htm

but seems to have been superceded

http://www.seaview.co.uk/cruiselines/pando/portunus.html

notnila
24th September 2009, 22:32
Brian,
I assumed that they were presentos,because of the name and cabin number on the box.Your description of your set sounds like the same.You have the place-mats,I have the coasters.
Regards Arch.

dixie dean
24th September 2009, 22:56
dixie dean, Posh club was for frequent cruisers on P&O on certain posh club cruises freebies would be given away,diferent types of gifts depended on how many cruises completed.Passengers name and cabin no would be put on to ensure correct recipient got the freebie.

benjidog
24th September 2009, 23:44
Just dug out a box of coasters but can't find the placemats now - if you could see my study you would understand why!

Anyway, there are 8 coasters in the box and the label on the box says "compliments of the posh club" but there is nothing about cabin numbers or dates etc. Maybe the presentation of this stuff varied over time.

notnila
25th September 2009, 23:28
It looks like Dixie Dean has come up with the answer!Now all I need to know is,when did the "custom" start,and does it still continue.
Thanks Folks,
Regards,
Arch .

non descript
26th September 2009, 08:42
It looks like Dixie Dean has come up with the answer!Now all I need to know is,when did the "custom" start,and does it still continue.
Thanks Folks,
Regards,
Arch .

Looking at the comment here (http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/PandOPrincessPCs3.html) that reads “POSH Club 'Welcome Aboard' card of the 1999 P&O Cruises fleet, supplied to members who take a cruise (the POSH Club is P&O's frequent travellers club).” It would seem in 1999 or before…

And no sooner have we found out that it started, although we still cannot be sure when, we now see it has ended (http://www.seaview.co.uk/cruiselines/pando/portunus.html)... At least it makes your POSH Cards a bit more valuable. (Jester)

notnila
26th September 2009, 22:04
I've no doubt that in 60/70 years time,I'll make a packet!!LOL
Arch.

jimthehat
30th September 2009, 01:40
p&os frequent travellers club is now called the portunus club,and there are three different levels,after 5 cruises i recently received a pair of binocs,they are rubbish ,had them on a pride of bilbao cruise finished today and found my spec savers glasses were better.
JIM

dixie dean
6th October 2009, 23:25
Thanks Folks,
Regards,
Arch .

hi from dixie dean again,dont know when posh club was started ,but but as far as im aware it has been superceded by the portus club,for every night spent on board passengers receive points which equate to a precious stones eg ruby saphire,the higher the value gemstone the more onboard perks.

Paul UK
7th October 2009, 16:32
Hi Dixie

Yeh it is Portunus, but if you dont travel with them I think at least once every 3 years they reduce your points by 50% great eh.

Paul