Camcorders

Strath101
12th August 2009, 11:52
The wife suggests we should buy a camcorder and as we have not had one before just looking through the Argos catalogue confuses the brain.
Mini DV or tapes seem to be going out of fashion but all the things read on the Internet say they still provide better quality over modern flash or DVD type camcorders.
Any good or bad experiences with camcorders

R58484956
12th August 2009, 12:22
My camcorder man told me to steer clear of CC with a hard disk in as they give him more than half his workload. He seems to like those with a card in. I have had a CC over ten years and mine has the tapes in, same size as music cassettes and I have not had any problems. The CC man in John Lewis reckons Panasonic are among the best. Mine is a Sony.

johnb42
12th August 2009, 12:23
Two years ago I opted for tape as my recording medium because the recording format offered more editing options.
I imagine that HDD has probably caught up by now, but don't know for sure.
Not too sure about Mini DV, some people consider this was a bit gimmicky and not a distance runner.
It really depends on how seriously you intend to use your camcorder.
Editing is great fun and once you get into adding music soundtracks and cool effects etc. you will really enjoy it.

johnb42
12th August 2009, 12:26
Should have added, I have a Sony with mini tapes approx 1.5" x 2"

K urgess
12th August 2009, 14:32
Mine's a bit old-fashioned being a Sony Handycam with 40X zoom and nightshot. It uses Video 8 tapes the size of an audio cassette.
When we started with video we had a Panasonic using full size VHS tapes that had to sit on your shoulder. Now they're the size of a fag packet or even a box of matches and do HD widescreen and stereo and can steady your shaking hands as you get ever older. (Whaaa)
I haven't bothered with a new all singing all dancing upgrade because the present one never gets used. (Sad)

coble
17th November 2009, 09:22
sony 60 zoom is very good

gaelsail
17th November 2009, 11:10
Any good or bad experiences with camcorders
I agree with the others that tapes are better than hard disks.

I have 3 main issues:
The camera that is very light (my last but one) is difficult to hold still without shake and so I need to carry a tripod.
The older camera is heavier to carry but doesn't have the shake problem.
The better the quality of picture, the more computer power & time it takes to download and edit the film.

It depends on why you want the camera- is it for personal use to remind you of your holidays when quality of picture is perhaps not so important? or is it for public viewing in which case you definitely want good quality?

Personally, I have now settled for a head-cam with reasonable (non-shaky) small picture but quick to download and edit- and it is a light and manageable camera.

coble
7th December 2009, 07:24
sony handy cam are very good