Gairsoppa

Hugh Ferguson
12th August 2009, 11:52
Clich HERE (www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/32/a3563732.shtml) for a story about The Sole Survivor.

eriskay
12th August 2009, 13:05
A poignant account, Hugh, good work and well done.

Angus

tsell
13th August 2009, 05:36
Thanks for that Hugh.
Did you ever find any of the three girls?

Taff

Sister Eleff
13th August 2009, 12:40
A sad story that they had travelled so far and then died within sight of land. I am sure the families were very grateful for the pictures Hugh and that someone had taken an interest in their relatives.

Hugh Ferguson
13th August 2009, 18:39
No,Taff, I never traced one even though I spoke to somebody living in Lizard Town who remembered them but nothing came of it. I even joined an evacuee association and posted their names, but to no avail.

And, Sister Eleff; When we went to photograph the gunner's grave (Norman Haskell Thomas) it looked a bit stark so we (my wife & I) borrowed some flowers from an adjacent grave just to brighten it up a bit. His elderly sister was touched by the gesture and wrote very movingly about a brother who had evidently been very dear to his family.
I would dearly like to have contacted just one of those girls: there were in fact five evacuees and all were named. Whatever became of all of them. Surely, they didn't all emigrate to Australia

Hugh Ferguson
8th April 2014, 12:03
www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=14426www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=14426www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=14426No,Taff, I never traced one even though I spoke to somebody living in Lizard Town who remembered them but nothing came of it. I even joined an evacuee association and posted their names, but to no avail.

And, Sister Eleff; When we went to photograph the gunner's grave (Norman Haskell Thomas) it looked a bit stark so we (my wife & I) borrowed some flowers from an adjacent grave just to brighten it up a bit. His elderly sister was touched by the gesture and wrote very movingly about a brother who had evidently been very dear to his family.
I would dearly like to have contacted just one of those girls: there were in fact five evacuees and all were named. Whatever became of all of them. Surely, they didn't all emigrate to Australia

And now, after all those years, I have! More correctly they traced ME!! They, the one time evacuees to Lizard Town, Cornwall, are Denis Driver (aged 12 at the time) and his sister Betty who played such a huge part in saving the life of the sole survivor, Richard Ayres, 2nd mate of the Gairsoppa.
Denis and Betty are still alive and well and are looking forward to taking up an invitation from the Royal Mint to receive a presentation of coins, struck from an ingot of the silver bullion recently salvaged from the sunken wreck.
I'm very much hoping to have the presentation filmed by BBC local television.

kypros
8th April 2014, 19:24
Very interesting story Hugh seems very odd at that time of the war there was a lack of coastal vessels so close to our shores to help unfortunate victims such as these who were oh so common in them dangerous times.KYPROS

Hugh Ferguson
18th April 2014, 11:58
www.shipsnostalgia.tv/members/action/viewvideo/1878/Gairsoppa_stor4y/www.shipsnostalgia.tv/members/action/viewvideo/1878/Gairsoppa_stor4ywww.shipsnostalgia.tv/members/action/viewvideo/1878/Gairsoppa_stor4yThe latest on this, seemingly, never ending saga has come in an E.mail to me this morning, from the BBC, Spotlight-local T.V. presenter- Eleanor Parkinson.
She tells me that they have set up an intervies with the two-one time evacuee children, Denis & Betty Driver, who were so instrumental in savng the life of the 2nd mate of the Gairsoppa, Richard Ayres, the sole survivor from that ship.

See HERE for an earlier interview which occurred some time before the Driver, brother and sister, had been traced.

Hugh Ferguson
18th April 2014, 12:15
The interview will appear on local Devon & Cornwall TV on Tuesday evening 22nd April at approximately 1830/1900 on a program headlined, Spotlight.