MV Waipawa

raybnz
18th September 2005, 00:23
I sailed on her as 7th Engineer joining her at Liverpool in June 1965. the main engines consisted of twin 10 cylinder B&W 4 stroke.. It was the only ship I salied on where you couldnt see the skylites due to the haze of exhaust fumes. The liners were open skirted so you could see the piston at the bottom of its stroke. Hence any ring blow pass entered the Engine room. Oil dripped from every where and the bilge pump ran continously on the tunnel well.The 4 British Polar generators were a source of frequant scavange fires.

On my first voyage with her we bunkered as normal at Aden then proceeded to Colombo. Some how dirty fuel was allowed to enter the system and our revs decreased to around 60 rpm. We all had to work extra hours trying to sort the problem out. I think it was here in my life I became very good at taking indicator cards.

By the time we reached Fremantle we were back at full revs and when the telegraphs rang stop to pick the pilot up we were racing along the middles adjusting the fuel rods so the engines would stop.

We had to bale the lub oil from around the engines and put it thru the oil purifiers back into the system. This was necessary to prevent running out of lub oil.A brick wall was constructed across the back of the engines to hold the oil but rough weather in the Atlantic toppled that.

To me she was a happy ship with plenty of social life in port.As engineers we had to have a sense of humor and be prepared to work extra hours.

On our arrival back in the UK Mr Sibley from the dock office would come on board and although I wasnt planning to do another trip I changed my mind when the 5th Engineers job was offered. Such was persuasion in those days.

thunderd
18th September 2005, 02:26
Hi Raybnz, not being an engineer I wonder if you would mind giving me the "dummies" explanation of these 2 terms please.

"scavange fires"
"taking indicator cards"

raybnz
18th September 2005, 08:06
Scavenge fire occur in the scavenge space of the engine.. Poor combustion causes unburnt fuel and sometime lub oil collects in the area and catch fire. Usual procedure was to shut fuel to the cylinder concerned and hopefully let the fire burn itself out.

Indicator cards were taken on the individual cylinders via a instrument that was attached to the indicator cock of the cylinder. From this it could be determind what that particular was doing.. Whether it was fuel timing, compression etc. You could always tell just how the job was going by the amount of wasted cards left behind or being told by the chief he wasnt happen and another set was needed.

thunderd
18th September 2005, 08:10
Thank you for taking the trouble to explain it raybnz, my education just keeps getting better LOL