Hull trawler plans

KEMO
14th August 2009, 21:14
Hiya,
does anyone out there know who may hold the plans archive for trawlers built by Earle's Shipbuilding & Engineering Co of Hull. I am particularly interested in the plans for trawler GRENADA H947 which was lost off Southern Ireland Oct 3 1945 with the loss of nine crew members, my late fathers brother was 2nd engineer aboard her.

Keith.

K urgess
14th August 2009, 21:46
Have you tried the Hull archives or the Hull Maritime Museum?
http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=221,52216&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

nhp651
15th August 2009, 08:57
"Hull Town Docks Museum",( thats the name it goes under)as I think the Maritime museum is a seperate museum, carry all that is available from the shipbuilders in Hull and surrounding area.
I have used them many times and their currator, Mr Arthur Credland is a fantastic help....if they haven't got it, it probably isn't available.
Neil.

KEMO
15th August 2009, 09:52
Hiya,
thank's for that, I was going to give Hull museum a ring but thought I would ask on here first in case someone knew for definite, I will give Hull Town Docks Museum a call first thing Monday and with a bit of luck they may be able to help.

Thank's again.

Keith.

K urgess
15th August 2009, 11:48
"Hull Town Docks Museum",( thats the name it goes under)as I think the Maritime museum is a seperate museum, carry all that is available from the shipbuilders in Hull and surrounding area.
I have used them many times and their currator, Mr Arthur Credland is a fantastic help....if they haven't got it, it probably isn't available.
Neil.

I think Arthur retired last year sometime so there's possibly someone else in charge now.
Hull Town Docks Museum is the same as the Hull Maritime Museum.

Kris

nhp651
15th August 2009, 20:14
It didn't used to be Kris.There were numerous seperate sites.
I remember Arthur telling me one time when we were chatting that the Hull Town Docks was Hull City funded and the Maritime Museum was funded, elsewhere.
They must have merged some time ago.
Didn't know Arthur had retired though.

K urgess
15th August 2009, 20:29
I've noticed there's no seperate site for the Hull Town Docks Museum in the Dock Office and the Maritime Museum is in the Dock Office with the whaling displays.
Used to be much more interesting when it was all jammed in the old chapel on Hessle Road, just outside Pickering Park.
Arthur used to be listed as the contact for the museum but now it's just Ferens Art Gallery.
Cheers
Kris

nhp651
15th August 2009, 20:59
that's where i'm getting confused, in that the two, although being in the same large building were named seperately.

KEMO
20th August 2009, 14:09
Hiya,
I had a reply from Hull Museum unfortunately they did'nt have the plans I wanted, and yes Arthur Credland retired last December, the new man in charge is Robin Diaper.

Keith.

K urgess
20th August 2009, 14:30
You could try the East Riding Archives at Beverley
http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/cs/culture-and-information/archives/online-archive-catalogue/
Worth a go but may only have the Beverley shipyard stuff.
Cheers
Kris

KEMO
21st August 2009, 20:56
Hiya Kris,
thank's for that I'll give them a go, Robin at Hull said that a lot of Earles drawings and records were destoyed.

Keith.

K urgess
21st August 2009, 21:00
Doesn't surprise me at all, Keith.
Probably just left to rot in the shipyard when they moved out and then used to make a bonfire by the demolition team. (Sad)
Cheers
Kris