Disposal Dates of Ships

Alistair Macnab
15th August 2009, 23:41
I find that I have no confirmation of the disposal for further trading of the following ships. Will someone in the know please let me have the sale date from Bank Line.....

Roachbank and Troutbank (Fish Class)
and Willowbank (reefer container ship)

This is to ensure that my Bank Line record is accurate.
Thanks!

Santos
15th August 2009, 23:50
Hi Alistair,

Roachbank was sold from Bank Line 1987 and subsequently broken up at Haldia in Feb 2001

Troutbank was sold from Bank Line again in 1987 and subsequently broken up in Alang in April 02

No info re Willowbank.

Kind regards

Chris.

bobs
16th August 2009, 11:08
Willowbank lost its Bank Line name in 1988 and after bearing the names Mandowi, California Star, Sea Elegance and Golden Gate, was scrapped at Alang in January 2009.

Alistair Macnab
16th August 2009, 17:31
Santos and Bobs.
Many, many thanks to you both. I knew if I put out the question on SN, that the good folks who participate would be able to help me complete my data.
Good health and best wishes!

Phillti
17th August 2009, 21:21
A bit more info. The Willowbank should actually have been scrapped in October 2003 after she caught fire off Durban. The accomodation was completley burnt out and unfortunately one crew member lost. I took the attached photo's from my garden in Umhlanga just north of Durban. Surprisingly i didn't recognise the vessel as the ex Willowbank when i took the photos even though i had sailed on her some 20 odd years earlier. Must have been the change in hull colour.

Tim

bones140
18th August 2009, 15:48
Hi Phillti
I sailed on Willobank at about the same time as an engineer cadet. Bill Thompson was the chief engineer at the time and Pete Simpson was the master. I have plenty of pics of the engineroom and accomodation that I'll scan in one day.

Alistair Macnab
18th August 2009, 16:16
Phillti and bones140.......
I remember reading the casualty report of the fire off Durban at the time. I saw a photograph of her berthed in Durban and I thought she was the "ex-"Willowbank" which was confirmed in subsequent press reports.

Peter Simpson was Master of the "Willowbank" for quite a long time, wasn't he? I was under the impression that he was the 'designated Master' of that ship and was only relieved for home breaks. I knew Peter before he was involved with "Willowbank" and when he was first appointed to the ship. I always considered him to be a very savvy officer and well-liked by his staff. I first met him when he was on "Luxmi" in Mombasa.
I did not know Bill Thompson.
Phillti... do you recall how 20 footers were stowed in No,5 hold that was celled for 40s? I would be interested to know. Its rather a peculiar question but it was I who demanded more 40ft. space for southbound cargo and it was in No,5 that they reluctantly gave it to me. How did you handle empty 40 footers northbound?

bones140
19th August 2009, 11:26
Alistair,
Peter Simpson was indeed a designated master to Willowbank as was Bill Thompson (chief engineer) Robbie Anderson (refrig engineer) and Bruce Buchan (leccy). They were all great people to sail with. The 20 foot containers in number five were separated with steel guides that ran top to bottom in the hold. I took a photo of them when they got twisted as the mates were trying to position them for 20 foot containers. They were stowed at the end of the hold when 40 foot contaiers wer being carried.

Phillti
19th August 2009, 17:01
Seems you both have a better memory than I do on the layout of Number 5.
I do remember though earning extra cash, driving the cranes in the Caribbean islands as they were a bit too technical for the local stevedores. Was great fun sitting in the Air conditioned cab all day. Most unlike all the other Bank Line vessels I sailed on.

Tim

bobs
20th August 2009, 01:13
Tim,
When you pictured her on fire she was named SEA ELEGANCE. Afterwards, not only was the accommodation repaired, she also had her deck cranes removed and sailed on for another 5 years or so as GOLDEN GATE for a Korean company called Sinokor Merchant Marine Co Ltd.
Propulsion was by a B+W 6K90GF by J G Kincaid, of Greenock. This produced 20,500 bhp at 114 rpm and a service speed of 19 knots

Colin419
21st January 2010, 09:10
Gah! Willowbank was being built when I was a cadet in Glasgow. We used to go down to Kincaids to see her engine being built. I also seem to remember that her maiden voyage was a bit of a nightmare with fitters tool box being removed from the chain case and all of the UMS controls being bypassed and reverting to manned engineroom status. I could never imagine any of the Bank Line Engineers at the time being happy about an engineroom running itself...especially the C/E's

bones140
21st January 2010, 12:54
Colin,
Oddly enough the UMS worked well in practice. I joined Willowbank in (I think!) September 1982 and all the bugs were probably ironed out by then. The biggest problem we had with the main engine was the failure of the hydraulic nuts on the cylinder heads whenever we needed to pull a piston. The seals would crack from the heat so out would come the flogging spanner and sledge hammer!

Billieboy
21st January 2010, 16:27
Colin,
Oddly enough the UMS worked well in practice. I joined Willowbank in (I think!) September 1982 and all the bugs were probably ironed out by then. The biggest problem we had with the main engine was the failure of the hydraulic nuts on the cylinder heads whenever we needed to pull a piston. The seals would crack from the heat so out would come the flogging spanner and sledge hammer!

Seen that plenty of time Bones, the company refusing to pay for Viton high temperature spare O-rings, so Buna or Butyl rings are supplied at a fifth of the cost, these last about two operations before failing! Bean counters; I've NO time for them!

Duncan112
21st January 2010, 17:18
Only just seen this thread, "Troutbank" was handed over in Yokohama 7 October 1987, renamed "Brij" the last of the "fish" class to be disposed of after a couple of false starts.

Duncan

The Captain
24th January 2010, 23:06
Peter Simpson was the Mate during the fitting out and on the maiden trip of the Nairnbank 1966 to 67. I was a 2nd trip apprentice with him, he was a hard man, during the fitting out the "appy's" worked quite hard, checking coatings in tanks and hard to get to space that "may never again see the light of day" as he put it. Jeff Man was 2nd Mate and Andy Flowers was 3rd Mate but for the life of me I can't remember the Masters name, he died in Madras about 2 months in to the trip.
I learned a great deal from Peter Simpson on that voyage, as I said a hard man but fair and he was young enough to care about the training of "Appy's" and teaching them the things they would need for their 2nd Mates and beyond. I didn't like Mr. Simpson but I did respect him and some time after leaving the realised how much he taught me. I never met him again and never had the chance to thank him. The last I heard of him that he was very ill at his home in Scarbough in the UK.
John S

McMorine
25th January 2010, 13:31
I sailed with Peter Simpson for two years on the Riverbank, he was 2nd mate then. Really great guy, very genuine and hard working. we did two years on the Africa/Oriental Line, joined in Singapore and signed off in Hongkong. I remember Peter and myself trying to learn Japanese, can still remember some of it now, we always seemed to be better at it after a few beers, can't imagine why!!!!
See my profile photos for pictures of Peter Simpson.