J & J Denholm

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

John Cassels
13th April 2006, 13:04
On the Naess Cavalier 1964 , Erling Naess did a 5 day trip with us
Norfolk to Panama. His grandson was also onboard who was about the
same age as us two apprentices and spent the 5 days following us around.

Can't remember his name any more. Other app. was J.C.Flett
15 happy months on a good ship.
Norman Angus MacDonald and W.C.Taylor as Masters.

JC

David Scott
14th April 2006, 00:02
Does anybody remember John Lennon? No it isnt a funny or a trick question. John was Junior Chief on the Lousiana and will always stand out in my mind as a real character. What a laugh the guy had, I can hear it today. They called him BEASTIE because he was kind of "rough and ready", with a supply of breakfast sausages poked into a top pocket of the boiler-suit which he would nibble on from time to time (even up until 5 pm). He was from Liverpool/Birkenhead I guess, but had settled in Bishopbriggs near Glasgow. I wouldnt have rated in Johns who-will-succeed chart, but he was OK.
David

James MacDonald
14th April 2006, 21:15
I can remember the Beastie. I was A/B on the Naess Louisiana 1/69 to 7/69 .He asked the deck dept if we could assist in changing a liner as the arab firemen were suffering from mal de mar. This was my introduction to GP. I remember him trying to guide the liner into the engine when the rope guys parted.The ship was rolling heavily & I can say there was a scatter of bodies in every direction except for the beastie. He stood his station until he could safely lower the liner. Not even a hand rail was bent.Before that event I use to keep out of the way from him .Thereafter my opinion of him excelled.

David Scott
15th April 2006, 12:17
James,
The lock on the engineroom crane on that ship was always a problem. I remember one piston changeout in bad weather, it released and the piston rod mangled parts of the de-areating piping and handrails as it went side to side with the rolling. Beastie timed it right and got the rod back down into the liner, but the trombone pipes were bent, the liner badly gouged and the rod screw threads in a hell-of-a-mess. Had to make up another assembly, repair the crane lock and start again.

James MacDonald
15th April 2006, 15:51
HI David, where you on the same trip with me .During my stint the first Capt was Maxwell & the 2nd Capt was Cormack, the Ch/std was Muldoon & the mate was Blaber.The Deck & catering crowd were a mix of Scots & Northern Irish as we did a quick drydock in Belfast after damaging the rudder leaving the berth at Beaumont. I left her in Dry Dock in Rotterdam after 6 months O/B

David Scott
15th April 2006, 16:52
Yes James, we sailed together on that trip. Do you remember the bang as we hit the bridge pontoon? It was at Port Arthur I think. The stock was bent 13-1/2 degrees and over the keyway, so it was a heck of a job to get the tiller clamp off. Heat, hydraulic jacks, etc.
I left in Belfast and went on the Gulf Scot. Where did you go?

James MacDonald
15th April 2006, 20:42
Hi David, I did the & months & left in Rotterdam . I got a job on the tugs on the Flying Demon But I fell out with my girl friend & ended back with J & J on the Vancouver Forest. I could write & book but no one would believe me.

muldonaich
16th April 2006, 11:09
yes we would james go ahead and write it kev.

Doug Shaw
17th April 2006, 08:33
James, I did write a book about it, back in about 1980. Even spent a month or two trying to have it published. It was a fictionalised account, but based on true incidents. Sadly, like you said, no one would believe it. By a quirk of fate, I'm now a professional writer and editor, and I had a publishing company for a while. Did I publish my manuscript? No. Too far fetched for the general public, but members of this forum would have known the truth of it. We all had some interesting times back in those days in J & J.
Doug

muldonaich
17th April 2006, 12:19
any chance of sending it to me for a read i promise to send it back regards kev.

Doug Shaw
20th April 2006, 05:32
Hi Kev

I've hunted high and low (top of the wardrobe and under the bed) for my beloved manuscript. Can't find it anywhere, but it’s around fifteen years since I last looked at it, so I'm not overly surprised. It came with me (minus its mysteriously missing first chapter) to Aus when I left the Isle of Skye in 1990. I still had it in 1991, when I bought my first computer and had the quite ridiculous notion of retyping the story. We moved about a bit before settling in Geelong, so I might have lost it then. I probably had some subconscious desire to throw it away, because by then I had realised that my brilliant writing style (or so I had thought) was actually crap.

I wrote the first two drafts long hand, and I wrote the final draft on a typewriter that I bought for 50p at a sale in Ardvasar Hall. The ribbon was well past its best, but if you had good eyesight, you could just make out the words.

The story covered my first three ships with the company: the Spey Bridge, the Avon Bridge and, dare I say it, the Crinan. I had plans for a sequel. The Crinan was the only ship that I ever sailed on that shipped green water through the engine-room vents. The bottom plates used to slide over each other in bad weather, leaving gaping holes for the unwary to fall through, and it was always wise to duck when walking past the aft end of the engine, because the fuel pumps had a habit of splitting and firing the broken ends at you as you walked past.

There was a ‘speaking tube’ that ran from the desk by the engine controls to the landing outside the changing rooms. The third engineer, whose name I have long forgotten, signalled to me one day as he was about to leave the engine room that he wanted me to use the speaking tube. I lifted it off its hook, removed the whistle and – whoosh – out jetted a stream of icy-cold water. The next day, the third engineer signalled again. I wasn’t going to be caught twice, so I watched him to make sure he didn’t have a bucket. I lifted the tube, removed the whistle and – whoosh! He’d filled the tube, which was above head height when on its hook, with water, which gushed out when I lowered it.

Kenny Mair was the C/E. He had an unnerving habit of carrying his trousers folded over his arm. Kenny had an old TV in his cabin that he’d been trying for weeks to repair. He needed valves, but hadn’t been able to get them anywhere. When we learned we were going to Glasgow, where I lived at the time, I suggested to Kenny that I might be able to get him the valves if he might be able to give me the night off. I had a night at home, and Kenny got his valves.

A few days out from Glasgow, we ran into heavy weather. It was fierce. Around noon, I had occasion to visit Kenny’s cabin. Nearing the door, I heard weak cries for help. On entering, I found Kenny, in his underpants of course, sitting in the middle of the carpet cradling his now-working TV in his lap. For a second or two I could see nothing wrong, but then the ship rolled and carpet, Kenny and TV took off at a rate of knots to be bought up short against the first immovable object in their way. Kenny wasn’t usually pleased to see me, but this time was an exception.

Kev, the memories are all there, probably somewhat distorted by time now, but certainly not forgotten. There was the time two of my fellow cadets on the Spey Bridge pinched a truck in a dockyard in Japan, crashed it into a fire hydrant, totalling the front and knocking out the entire water supply for the dockyard. And the time an Indian fourth engineer on the Crinan tried to dismantle a fuel oil purifier while it was still running. Then there was the night that same engineer left the ship. He had assured us that we wouldn’t be able to run the engine room without him, and he tried to make sure of that by removing all the brass tags from the engine-room valves. At least, that was the story at the time, but did the third engineer seize the opportunity to flog the tags for scrap and blame the fourth engineer? Who knows, but that is what memories are made off, and it is incidents like those mentioned that featured in my manuscript.

If I ever do find the thing, I’d be more than happy to let you read it. Meanwhile, I’m sure you, and everyone else on this forum, have equally amusing memories of your own.
Regards
Doug

muldonaich
20th April 2006, 09:31
thanks doug, i sailed with kenny mair he was a a man and a half there was something wrong with his hand it had started to close and he was going for an operation to get it fixed i always remembered the old man saying to him on the bridge let go of the glass kenny and it will come back to normal itself yes those were the days i often wonder if kennys still around regards kev.

Doug Shaw
21st April 2006, 05:51
Kev, I met Kenny a couple of years, I think, after I left the Crinan. Probably around '73, but I can't really remember. We were both on a welding course at ICI's training college in Billingham in the North of England. (Never quite figured why Kenny was there.) Unfortunately, a couple of days into the course, Kenny received word that his brother had died unexpectedly. I drove him overnight to Edinburgh and waited at the station with him until he left on the train for Aberdeen early next morning. Never saw or heard of him again after that.

I still remember Kenny with fondness. He was one of the old-school, and a breed that was dying out by the time I joined J & J. Ships were becoming much more sophisticated, and though there were plenty of characters around, they weren't built from the same mould.

The first old man I sailed with on the Spey Bridge was on his last voyage before retiring. While very different from Kenny, he too was from the old school. I used to have long talks with him on the bridge and could have listened to him for hours. His name was Ferguson, but I don't think I knew his first name. Probably just called him Captain.

Regards
Doug

falconer
28th May 2006, 12:25
Roddy,,,do not believe we met when I was with Denholms,,,,but totally agree with your reply!!! Is Calum one and the same as Malcolm Thomson, who was c/o when I was there in 1964?

JF
QUOTE=Roddy MacSween]Calum

With reference to your message, let me try and correct some of your inaccuracies: -

When I joined the 'Crinan' in 1963 at 17, I had been away from home for 6 years, which included Portree High School (Hostel resident), School in Motherwell (with Frank Brown who was also a cadet on the Crinan 'intake' in 1963), pre-sea training at the School of Navigation in Glasgow (1 year).

To infer that I was 'suddenly transposed' from the Isle of Skye to the 'Crinan' and deduce that this would enhance my welfare demonstrates a condescending ignorance which astounds me.

I have no intention of recording significant incidents on this site, which resulted in a total abhorrence of my initial 6 months in the MN, the worst time in a marine career spanning (to date) 44 years.

To set the record straight, I never sailed with Captain Nichol - I did respect the incumbent Master Captain Bert Buckley and the C/O Duncan MacDonald, with whom I had the pleasure of working with between 1976 and 1978. 3/O Willie McAuslan (deceased) was a gem, whose support at times was invaluable.

I would suggest that a style of 'man-management', where 'hardening teenage cadets to meet and cope with the elements on heaving decks', etc., etc was misguided and unprincipled. Believe me, Calum; this opinion is shared by many of my peer group.
I have had the pleasure and privilege of being in command of a Diving Support Vessel, where teamwork and effective management were the 'key principles' resulting in retention of a regular team of 60 persons for over 3 years.

I have no intention of entering into a 'war of words' and to that end, I will refrain from any further communiqué on this subject. You will hopefully understand that at 60 years old, I will not accept the diatribe, which has been communicated to many SN members.

Regards

Roddy MacSween[/QUOTE]

Roddy MacSween
28th May 2006, 17:25
John

I can assure you, I got no pleasure from saying what I believe had to be clarified.

I believe from DJC that another ex DSM is doing very well for himself. Were you in the same Crinan intake as Graham Marshall. Send me a PM and I will give you some more info.

Best Regards

Roddy

Ships Agent
2nd June 2006, 21:52
Just to remind you clydesiders that all the port aux. boats operating out of the Great Harbour (MOD Base) coulport and Devonport now fly the Diamond D as they are now operated by Serco Denholm

falconer
6th June 2006, 22:59
Hi Roddy,

I was on the Crinan same time as Donald Campbell,,July 63 intake, cannot say I can recall Graham Marshal

Donald mentioned he has been in touch with you regarding jack up rigs in Nigeria.

Will be in touch with you shortly on this

RGDS

John Falconer
John

I can assure you, I got no pleasure from saying what I believe had to be clarified.

I believe from DJC that another ex DSM is doing very well for himself. Were you in the same Crinan intake as Graham Marshall. Send me a PM and I will give you some more info.

Best Regards

Roddy

John Cassels
7th June 2006, 09:24
John,

Don't think you were in the July 1963 intake. Roddy and I were but
I don't remember you. Think you were the intake after us (Jan '64).

JC

DCMARINE
7th June 2006, 11:28
John,

Don't think you were in the July 1963 intake. Roddy and I were but
I don't remember you. Think you were the intake after us (Jan '64).

JC
John Falconer and I were in the July 1964 intake along with Angus Murray. I have most of the names listed on a post.
Graham Marshall was not in that intake but I sailed with him somewhere later on.
Donald Campbell

DCMARINE
8th June 2006, 13:31
John,
"Six trips to Seven Islands" etc., is only part of a verse but I do not know what the Title was although I have a feeling "Diamond D" came into it.
Will have to dig out the photo I have of us all joining the "Crinan" to see who was all in the intake but I did think there was a "Kelly" and thought it was Sloan though not sure as there was a Vince Kelly in the North Sea many years ago.
Others:
Angus Murray (Lewis) - in N. Sea now Stornoway Coastguard.
Donald Murray (Lewis)
Paddy Murphy ? (Ireland)
George Morrison (Middlesborough)
Doug Murdoch (Welyn Garden City)
John G. Falconer (Dundee) - last heard of over 30 years ago as Master of Dutch coaster in Vietnam and trading to Aussie - just missed him in Port Hedland.
.......... Cameron (Dundee)
Gibby Watt (Fraserburgh) - still on N. Sea supply boats
Will revert with the missing two.
Some Senior cadets:
Peter Bloomer - retired ex supply boat master - sailed with him again there.
.......... Kernachan ?
Yan Kusynski ?
Donald Gunn - now Master on Cal Mac's "Hebrides".
More if and when they come to mind.
Donald
Update - the missing ones:
Andy Cameron (Dundee), Alan Brewster, Alan Strawhorn, Vince Kelly.
Paddy's name was Houston.
Donald

falconer
8th June 2006, 17:19
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOps...yes '64!!!

S.S. Falconbridge

John Falconer and I were in the July 1964 intake along with Angus Murray. I have most of the names listed on a post.
Graham Marshall was not in that intake but I sailed with him somewhere later on.
Donald Campbell

Angus Murray
17th June 2006, 10:37
Kev
Only discovered who you were the other day when speaking to Calum Thomson (who speaks kindly of you).Although i do not know you personally, my cousin from Ness, Donald Mackenzie, often speaks about you and sends his regards. I believe he sailed with you on the GTS's. Since i ocassionally do some MCA work in your neck of the woods, i might call in at your workplace next time down.
Regards
Angus Murray

thanks doug, i sailed with kenny mair he was a a man and a half there was something wrong with his hand it had started to close and he was going for an operation to get it fixed i always remembered the old man saying to him on the bridge let go of the glass kenny and it will come back to normal itself yes those were the days i often wonder if kennys still around regards kev.

muldonaich
17th June 2006, 12:18
hi angus, yes please do i sailed with donald onthe gtvs he is gentleman also spent the last three years at sea with calum thomson found him a gentleman as well he called in to see me but i was out in hospital at the time sailed with a lot of lads from sy regards kevin. ps sailed with a donald murray from tolsta a couple of times last time on hopepark is he a relation.

Angus Murray
21st June 2006, 00:13
Kev
Donald Murray from Tolsta is not related. However, both of us commenced our seagoing career at the same time on the CRINAN (July 1964). He lives in Tolsta, and i will pass on your regards when i next see him.
Regards
Angus

hi angus, yes please do i sailed with donald onthe gtvs he is gentleman also spent the last three years at sea with calum thomson found him a gentleman as well he called in to see me but i was out in hospital at the time sailed with a lot of lads from sy regards kevin. ps sailed with a donald murray from tolsta a couple of times last time on hopepark is he a relation.

ruud
21st June 2006, 08:28
Gulpers, The Gallic Bridge was a bulkie not an OBO :)

Any pics of her around?
Ahoy Iain,
Found your Gallic Bridge in the old shoebox:

Iain Lourie
25th June 2006, 15:34
Magical. Cheers Ruud.

agentroadrunner
25th June 2006, 23:32
Came across this site purely by accident and have sailed on many in Gulpers list.
Just joined.
Denholms from 1963 - 1981.
Name's John Cassels also originally from Gourock but came ashore in 1981 in
Antwerp and been here ever since.
Must be plenty old diamond "D"s out there
JC

JC,

Any relations called Gordon?

A (Pint)

agentroadrunner
25th June 2006, 23:48
John,
"Six trips to Seven Islands" etc., is only part of a verse but I do not know what the Title was although I have a feeling "Diamond D" came into it.
Will have to dig out the photo I have of us all joining the "Crinan" to see who was all in the intake but I did think there was a "Kelly" and thought it was Sloan though not sure as there was a Vince Kelly in the North Sea many years ago.
Others:
Donald Murray (Lewis)
Paddy Murphy ? (Ireland)
John G. Falconer (Dundee) - last heard of over 30 years ago as Master of Dutch coaster in Vietnam and trading to Aussie - just missed him in Port Hedland.
Some Senior cadets:
.......... Kernachan ?
Yan Kusynski ?
Donald

Captain Donald Gunn of Cal-Mac's HEBRIDES retired in March this year.

A (Pint)

John Cassels
26th June 2006, 08:54
JC,

Any relations called Gordon?

A (Pint)

No relation but I know who you are talking about.

Perhaps you missed my earlier question -- if you knew
Captain John "Wee Jock"McVicar who ran the Greenock
agency a while back.

JC

agentroadrunner
27th June 2006, 09:59
Nope, sorry, can't think of John MacVicar but there are loads of names cropping up in this thread that I know well. I think half of Denholms must have come from Gourock & Greenock & then moved to Cal-Mac at some point!

A (Pint)

Argyll
27th June 2006, 20:56
Yes I would agree with that I don't come from the clyde area but I'm in calmac and there are a fare number of denholm guys in here,
Argyll.

muldonaich
5th July 2006, 20:00
sailed with a gordon mac vicar he was cook then chief steward he was from greenock or gourock i think regards kev.

Ships Agent
5th July 2006, 23:20
During my 4 years with the agency, Greenock office was managed by Neil Maclean followed by Murray Barclay. Glasgow office on Renfield street was under the control of Eddy Barclay, Maurice Brown, and one other who we nicknamed squeeker (hope he's not a member). Murray Barclay was originally with Seatrain Greenock before joining denholms and yes Eddy Barclay was his Father enough said on that matter.Murray Barclay was in the Seatrain office when Jim Haig was boss Peter Somerville was his clerk. Peter laterly was the bos of the Clydeport Ocean Terninal before moving to Clydeport head office in Glasgow.

ROBERT(Bert) FRATER
8th July 2006, 21:00
More names for the list - I served on most of them :
CAST HERON(OBO), CLARKEDEN (Ore), BINSNES (Geared Bulker), BAKNES (Geared Bulker), GLEDDOCH (Ore), JERSEY BRIDGE (Bulk), KYOTO FOREST(Geared Bulker converted to Container), MORVEN (OBO), NAESS CAVALIER (Bulk), NAESS CLARION (Bulk), NAESS CLIPPER (Bulk), NAESS PARKGATE (Bulk), NAESS TRADER (Ore), NORDIC PATRIOT (Bulk), ORMSARY (Ore), VANCOUVER TRADER (Bulk), VANCOUVER ISLAND (Geared Bulker).
Also CONON FOREST was renamed HAVRAIS for charter purposes but reverted to CONON FOREST thereafter. SEATRAIN SARATOGA was renamed TFL JEFFERSON and did several trips under this name beforwe being 'flagged out'.

muldonaich
9th July 2006, 20:21
hi bert, good to see you on site sailed with you on connon forest and van forest you were on cast otter i think when i was with calum on the cast husky good ships happy memories regards kev.

muldonaich
9th July 2006, 20:25
forgot whats ivor doing these days i bought a book anna wrote very good i think my sister in law knows you they stay in point regards kev,ps whatever happened to morris mac leod he was 2nd mate on connon forest with us a great guy.

Tom McNeill
14th July 2006, 12:11
undefined
Hello Gordon,
John was a Junior Engineer with me on Scotstoun up until I paid off as 4th Engineer in Philadelphia in May 1965.
There is a photograph of him in a Ship's Profile of Scotstoun in the Autumn 1968 edition of Denholms News where he is captioned as 4th Engineer.
I will try to post a copy of the page on the illustrations board.
Rgds.
Tom McNeill

ROBERT(Bert) FRATER
14th July 2006, 21:46
forgot whats ivor doing these days i bought a book anna wrote very good i think my sister in law knows you they stay in point regards kev,ps whatever happened to morris mac leod he was 2nd mate on connon forest with us a great guy.
Hi Kev, Ivor in Kilmarnock but currently here on holiday with family. Anna and family across the road from me. Yes, I know Karen. Morris with oil firm working from Aberdeen ( I think). I see him occasionally.

DCMARINE
17th July 2006, 14:11
John,
Others:
Donald Murray (Lewis)
Paddy Murphy ? (Ireland)
Some Senior cadets:
.......... Kernachan ?
Yan Kusynski ?
Donald
Senior Apprentices in July '64 (confirmed):
A.E. Kernachan (Cadet Captain)
S.A. Laird
C.D. MacRae
G. McGuire
J.A. Kuszynski
P.B. Wright
Donald Campbell

ruud
28th July 2006, 22:33
Ahoy,

I was just searching in my old shoe-box, when I found these 2, well the script on the reverse side says Denholm at least.
The Tor Nerlandia 1972 Triport Shipping Co.Ltd.[Denholm Ship Management Ltd.]
Tons:4.128
The Tor Mercia 1969 same club
Tons:1.600
Pictures taken in 1973 and 1972.

Argyll
29th July 2006, 10:51
Re senior Apps also on with me George Stevenson( Greenock ?Gourock) as far as I can remember he left the sea for a while to work in IBM then worked with MOD and was master with them on Kingsgarth among others.Bob Baxter (Bagsy) Glasgow don't know what happenedto him in the early days but was informed by Brendan Ward that he recently retired from Kelvin Hughes (Glasgow)

Andy-D
30th July 2006, 03:28
New one for the list...Nordic Sky, sister to Britannia Team, a Team ship with two lums and Bridge wings!!

muldonaich
30th July 2006, 18:19
it is with deep sadness i that i have to tell all who knew and sailed with him that john mac kinnon chief officer and 43 years service in denholms crossed the bar this morning he was a nephew of captain macphee whose wife died this week 82 years of age may they rest in peace kevin.

raybeti
30th July 2006, 18:52
Calum was a gentleman of the fist order, whom never ever to my knowledge lost his temper the whole time I had the pleasure of sailig as mate with him.

The passing of John & Mrs Macphee leaves this world & Barra A sadder Place.

Andy-D
30th July 2006, 18:58
Wellpark was actually geared bulker, no cell guides in her holds

Ships Agent
9th September 2006, 11:52
I received a phone call this morning while at work Regarding the above ship which I was told sailed under the Diamond D house flag. the person was making enquires about a Capt. D Mckelvie who has died can anyone help me with this enqiry as although I work in the Library we do not appear to have much if anything on the Denholm line (shame on them)

Many thanks
John

Gulpers
9th September 2006, 13:25
John,
There have been two or three Glenparks all owned by J&J Denholm. Some of Denholm's own ships were named after parks in Greenock.

Contact details for the company are as follows - they may be able to offer you some assistance with your enquiry.

J & J Denholm Ltd.
18 Woodside Crescent
Glasgow G3 7UL
United Kingdom

Telephone: 0141 353 2090
Fax: 0141 353 2190

Tom McNeill
14th September 2006, 21:28
Calum was a gentleman of the fist order, whom never ever to my knowledge lost his temper the whole time I had the pleasure of sailig as mate with him.

The passing of John & Mrs Macphee leaves this world & Barra A sadder Place.
Can only echo that sentiment.

Tom McNeill

Tom McNeill
14th September 2006, 21:30
Nope, sorry, can't think of John MacVicar but there are loads of names cropping up in this thread that I know well. I think half of Denholms must have come from Gourock & Greenock & then moved to Cal-Mac at some point!

A (Pint)
More like three-quarters!

pentlandpirate
15th September 2006, 23:10
Coastal Corpus Christi.....best trip so far. Strange taxi drive from Dunoon to join the ship and find two massive ULCC's at rest in a loch. Two days on board before we headed south to Lisbon and sat in Lisnave dry dock for three months during the summer. No work to do on board for a cadet and the wages weren't adequate to keep us in booze, girls and trips to the beach. What was the record for trips across the Tagus without waking up. Someone reckoned he fell onto the ferry on the city side having had a good night out, and at seven o'clock in the morning got off again having fallen asleep and crossed the river an unknown number of times. Brief layup off Flushing before we headed at full speed down to Cape Town, stopped and turned back and went back up to Aruba.
Almost six months on board never carried a cargo. Plenty deck space for bronzing and cricket!

Varley
2nd October 2006, 18:37
A few more.

London Team.

Arafura Sea & Banda Sea (Tate & Lyle's, can't remember exactly when but sometime in the 80s). Polar Columbia & Polar Uraguay (mid 80's). The Cast Conbulkers (Otter, Husky, Muskox, Polar Bear Caribou) were built before 1985 as was Cast Bluewhale, their only newbuild Obo delivered before going bust.

David V

Gulpers
2nd October 2006, 19:09
David,
Thanks for that, appreciate your input. (Thumb)

John Cassels
3rd October 2006, 09:11
David ; and the Cast Orca also an OBO.

Cast didn't go bust , only the funding arrangements for the OBO's
didn't go through.

JC

Varley
8th October 2006, 12:26
John,

A fine distinction and I bow to you superior knowledge! However, as Pete Roberts had to arrange his own and his staff's 'moonlight' from Cast Orca at HHI to Hong Kong on his own credit card I suggest my description is one which would be more generally recognised.

As his flit was pre delivery I don't think we can count her (or the Daewoo OBO) although I do have a naming ceremony plaque in sight as I type.

David

John Cassels
9th October 2006, 09:11
David,

The only thing I can say is that from 1983 on , Cast got rid of all the OBO's
and Tankers. The container business flourished into the early '90s
Due to various reasons things went downhill from then on. I lasted until
November 1999 (still Cast in name but under the CP umbrella from '95).

JC

terval
22nd October 2006, 11:33
Greetings one and all. I served with Denholms for 20 years starting on the Naess Trader mainly out of Port Talbot. Does the phrase " Ming Ming to Mummum" ring any bells? Actually Immingham to Murmansk, a pleasant ten day voyage in mid-winter!!! Another Naess boat was the Pioneer, Tommy Martin was Master when I was there. Many happy days!!
Regards to all
Terry (R556919)

terval
22nd October 2006, 12:08
Greetings one and all. It's a great pleasure to see some of the old names that I remember from my time with J&J. I started in Dec 1962 on the Naess Trader then to the Clarkeden, Clarkavon, Naess Pioneer, Gleddoch, Morar, Glenpark, Inverewe, Industria, Federal Hudson ( Trip up the Arctic) Bibi, Fidentia, Dunadd, Vento di Maestrale, Vancouver Trader, Dunelmia, Conon Forest, Sig Ragne, Nordic Trader, Scotspark, Troll Park, Vancouver Forest and then the dreaded redundancy, so I went to Sealink. What memories!!! Captain Alec Stuart who lived close by, died several years ago after a holiday in Mombasa and contracted malaria. He lived alone and was found several days later by a neighbour. Does anyone remember Dallas Bradshaw R/O? She is now living in North Wales and has a gammy leg but still going strong. What happened to Jim Nichol?
regards
Terry Scott-Thomas R556919

Gulpers
22nd October 2006, 17:58
Terry,

Welcome to SN and also to the Denholm threads. I see from another thread that you clocked Y Draig Goch and the Denholm houseflag by my username. Yes, it' a bit of a mixture - I was brought up in Gourock but now live and work on Anglesey!

I know Dallas Bradshaw's name - who in Denholms didn't - but I've never met her. Jim Nichol was Old Man on my first trip to sea, on Troll River, but never seen or heard anything of him since! (?HUH)

Regards,

randcmackenzie
22nd October 2006, 22:16
Greetings one and all. I served with Denholms for 20 years starting on the Naess Trader mainly out of Port Talbot. Does the phrase " Ming Ming to Mummum" ring any bells? Actually Immingham to Murmansk, a pleasant ten day voyage in mid-winter!!! Another Naess boat was the Pioneer, Tommy Martin was Master when I was there. Many happy days!!
Regards to all
Terry (R556919)

Tommy Cormack, surely?

John Cassels
23rd October 2006, 09:00
Was just about to comment that it must be Tommy Cormack. He was
permenant Master on the "Pioneer" for many years.

JC

Angus Murray
26th October 2006, 08:05
Terry
Naess Pioneer was my second ship (1965) and the 2nd Mate was Terry Thomas. Not too sure if you are one and the same? Old man was Tam Cormack. Third Mate Lenny Bell. Other two apprentices were Dave Donaldson (Dundee) and Geoff ? (Glasgow).
Angus Murray

PollY Anna
31st October 2006, 00:29
Hi Mates I don't want to be a pain but I see running through Denholm's that Neil Maclachlan reckoned that the Crystal Cube was reg in Glasgow if it's the same one that I sailed on out of Silver Town E16 My book says LONDON she was a sugar boat of Tate & Lyle's and there was never any mention of her being run by Denholm's. I sailed Denholm's on the Naess Endeavour not a name that comes up much she had mainly Spanish crew running out of Rotterdam. The first trip out she had a crew that run amok with fire axes etc.
and the skipper said no more British Crews God no's where the crew came from!!!!

terval
31st October 2006, 12:29
Greetings one and all. Yes I am the Terry Thomas of that era. Added my second wifes maiden name after our marriage.
Last I heard of Jim Nichol he "misbehaved" and was offered a job as 2/0 until he had served his penance. So sorry to hear of Cathie Cotter's death and indeed the passing of so many old salts. Captain Alec Stuart passed away several years ago after spending a holiday in Mombasa and not taking his malaria pills. Your right it was Tommy Cormack, he of cribbage fame, on the Pioneer. So many happy memories to keep a 72 year old reminiscing of days in the Vineyard Bar (Port Talbot) and The Six T**s in Workington. I remember Goerge Morrison of Middlesboro, indeed I was Best Man at his wedding after we had both left the Industria. I did hear sveral years ago thet Vic Hallum had defected to the Post office.
It amazes me that a shipping company can be so versatile. Denholms are running a building and scaffolding firm in the south. I live in Poole and it is strange to see the diamond D flying over building sites.
I too have a copy of Ship to Shore and it is really interesting.
My best regards to you all.
Terry.

muldonaich
31st October 2006, 23:23
Greetings one and all. Yes I am the Terry Thomas of that era. Added my second wifes maiden name after our marriage.
Last I heard of Jim Nichol he "misbehaved" and was offered a job as 2/0 until he had served his penance. So sorry to hear of Cathie Cotter's death and indeed the passing of so many old salts. Captain Alec Stuart passed away several years ago after spending a holiday in Mombasa and not taking his malaria pills. Your right it was Tommy Cormack, he of cribbage fame, on the Pioneer. So many happy memories to keep a 72 year old reminiscing of days in the Vineyard Bar (Port Talbot) and The Six T**s in Workington. I remember Goerge Morrison of Middlesboro, indeed I was Best Man at his wedding after we had both left the Industria. I did hear sveral years ago thet Vic Hallum had defected to the Post office.
It amazes me that a shipping company can be so versatile. Denholms are running a building and scaffolding firm in the south. I live in Poole and it is strange to see the diamond D flying over building sites.
I too have a copy of Ship to Shore and it is really interesting.
My best regards to you all.
Terry.
hi terry i am really sorry to hear of cathie cotter do you know where bob is calum thomson was looking for him on this site a while back regards kev.

John Cassels
1st November 2006, 09:14
Had a postcard from Bob Cotter about 6 years ago. Daid he was standing by
a Gib strait ferry at Algecieras. He used to keep regular contact with my
mother until she passed away in 2001. It's now many years since Cathy
passed away. Last saw her around 1986 when they came to our place for
dinner when Bob was on the Cast otter here in Antwerp .
" Cotter of the Otter " as he called himself.

JC
( not the one who did the miracles )

Stephen J. Card
6th November 2006, 06:00
Ray,

Stumbled on this site early this morning. Wonderful to see so many old and familar names mentioned.

I thought I'd better get the old Discharge Book out to refresh the memory.

My first ship with Denholms was the good old NAESS PIONEER. Joined in Antwerp on 1st July 1970. I should have joined in Newport News but missed the ship. Ian Wildish was Master. Malcom Thorpe was Mate. Niel Morrison was 2/0 and the 3/0 (joined a week or two after me) was Donald Ross.

The first time I went up to the bridge... Saturday afternoon as sea...Antwerp to Amsterdam... went out onto the wind and within a minute the 2/O came to the door and called me over, "Go and play somewhere else!" The first thing Donald Ross said to me... "You call me Sir and I'll call you Sir. The only difference is that you mean it. I don't!"

Wildish was relieved in Amsterdam drydock by RR (Bobby) Kinder. Two weeks in drydock. Fantastic time was had by all. Went ashore first night with the Junior Eng. Ronnie C. Glass. Met up with two Dutch birds. Ronnie jumped ship the night before we sailed... was deported... went back to Amsterdam, married the girl and is still there I believe. The Senior Cadet on board was Ian Smith. Ian hooked up with the daughter of a minister who was singing hymns on a street corner ashore in Amsterdam on one night. he ended up marrrying her and is also still in Amsterdam!

Good crowd on the ship for sure. John Cook joined a few weeks after me and so I became Senior Cadet. Alastair Cuthill was a Junior Engineer... killed in a traffic accident a few years later.

Sailed for Seven Islands and loaded ore for Philladelphia. Ballast down to Rio.... ten days at anchor then four days alongside loading ore. Back north to Sydney Cape Breton then over to Seven Islands to load ore for Amsterdam. The Mounties caught us this time with 'excess bottles of Bacardi' on board. In Amsterdam John Cook and I had some serious nights out on the town. We were in Dam Square the night the Dutch marines threw the hippes out! Malcom had us down in the holds taking covers off the DB & Wing tanks. Two covers for each tank, four tanks in each hold. Each and every nut had to be cut off using a cold chisel and hammer. It took us weeks to get the covers of two holds so eventually the GP's were put on the job.

Angus Smart joined as Master. "A. Smart Chief Officer", "A. Smart Captain." "A smart ...basta*d" as we used to say.

From Amsterdam... back down to Rio. Again two weeks in the port. First night Donals Ross went ashore... disappeared for three days! Smart came back in the launch first night at anchor. The gangway was up and no one was about to lower it. Eventually the gangway came down.. lowered by one of the girls that came to live with us while we were there. :-) Up on the bridge the Second Mate was fast askeep... on the chart table.

I had my 18th Birthday in Rio and celebrated in grand style at the Florida Bar and the Florida Hotel... well for about 30 minutes anyway! Before heading ashore that day I was opening the hatch cover for No. 1. The topping wire jumped off the drum end.... and jammed in the block at the head of the short post. As the cover... was about 50% open, when it fell it pulled over the post. Oops! Fortunately we were not loading No.1 and the damage was later repaired in Norfolk drydock. I saw Thorpe ashore that night in the Sybway Bar and told him about the 'mishap'.

From Rio... back north to Sydney for discharge then to Norflok and then home on leave after just over five months.

I did my college time at Glasgow. Many happy memories of the place. I then went on to sail in the following:

G.C.N.S. ONC Phase 1
WARWICK FORT Cadet 23.7.71 to 27.10.71
SCOTSPARK Cadet 10.11.71 to 2.7.72
EUROLINER Cadet 7.9.72 to 25.11.72
EUROLINER 3/0 14.12.72 to 28.1.73
G.C.N.S ONC Phase 2 (failed!)
AVON BRIDGE 3/0 23.7.73 to 14.2.74
NORDIC CLANSMAN 3/O 4.5.74 to 2.8.74
G.C.N.S. Second Mate FG (& Mate Home Trade just in case!) Passed!
SEVONIA TEAM 3/O & 2/O 27.12.74 to 9.5.75
LOCH LOMOND 2/O 1 month at Connell's then 14.7.75 to 26.12.75
GLENPARK 2/O 11.2.76 to 28.5.76
G.C.N.S. Sat for Mate (FG) Passed
LOCH LOMOND 2/O 31.1.77 to 8.6.77
ICENIC 2/O 24.6.77 to 26.9.77 Shaw Savill & Albion
LOCH LOMOND 2/O 3/11/77 to 5.12.77
LOCH LOMOND C/O 6.12.77 to 27.2.78
LOCH LOMOND C/O 16.6.78 to 9.10.78
LOCH LOMOND C/O 4.2.79 to 27.4.79
LOCH MAREE C/O 29.6.79 to 2.10.78
WELLPARK C/O 6.10.79 to 1.2.80
LOCH MAREE C/O 14.5.80 to 21.7.80
G.C.N.S. Sat Master's writtens. Passed!
LOCH MAREE C/O 28.2.81 13.7.81 Sold to Salen!

Left Denholms and joined Uiterwyk Lines (UK) Limited.

POLAR URUGUAY C/O 30.8.81 to 15.3. 82

Left the ship after 7.5 months and straight to G.C.N.S. two weeks revision and sat Master's orals on 5.4.82 ... passed!!!! What a relief!

Returned home.... two weeks leave.... then to Yokohama to join my first command... the 15,000 d.w.t. general cargo vessel PYRAMIDS U - Egyptian flag! With the exception of the two galley boys I was the youngest on board... 29!

After that contract I came ashore in Bermuda as Queen's Harbour Master. Staying in the port for just over a year then decided to go back to sea. Did a brief stint as C/O on the cruise ship VERA CRUZ 1 then went on leave. While on leave decided to 'pack it in' and become a full time marine artist. With the exception of a couple of months as C/O on a large 370' 1928-built motor yacht... and several trips as delivery master on tugs I've continued to be 'employed' as a marine artist. Lots of sea time these days... as passenger!

I remember so many of the fellows mentioned in the postings... Sloan Kelly.. was 3/0 with me in the SEVONIA TEAM, Frank Brown was 2/O in the WARWICK FORT. Bert Buckley... first Master in the LOCH LOMOND and his relief Bill Stockley... a real gentleman. Angus Smart... "A smart basta*d"... almost shot (with a revolver) Stuart Bearne (2/o) on the EUROLINER one Christmas morning! Roddy MacKenzie C/O in EUROLINER. Dougie Naismith... I did one transatlantic in ASIALINER as a passenger. Did a few watches to help the guys out then Dougie invited me into his cabin for a 'wee dram'. I don't remember the rest! He wanhted me to come back on the box boats. No bloody way!!!!!!

Anyhow, it is good to read of those good old days in Denholms. I certainly never had any regrets of going to sea and I'm glad I did with Denholms.

Stephen

To G.C.N.S. to sit Master's orals. 3 weeks Passed on

albatross1923
18th November 2006, 18:09
how about mvclarkspey to add to your list of denholm ships joined her when she was fitting out lithgows port glasgow as2nd eng managed by denholms for h clarkson shipping london maiden voyage to new york signed on greenock23.3.60 signed off greenock 12.2.61 sihip charted by greeks kolikundos tocarry lease lend cargo from states
shipsdetails off.no301403
grt 10.027
engines b/w built j.kincaid greenock
was charted to port line named port campbell
returned to 0riginal owners renamed kings reach

albatross1923

pat boyle
9th December 2006, 16:56
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga [I](Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

clarkeden

pat boyle
9th December 2006, 17:03
I WAS ON THE Clarkeden 1968-69 Naess Louisiana 1969 April-
November met John Lennon April 1969 (Naess Lousiana cured my wanderlust )
Pat

ruud
24th December 2006, 20:28
Hi Mates I don't want to be a pain but I see running through Denholm's that Neil Maclachlan reckoned that the Crystal Cube was reg in Glasgow if it's the same one that I sailed on out of Silver Town E16 My book says LONDON she was a sugar boat of Tate & Lyle's and there was never any mention of her being run by Denholm's. I sailed Denholm's on the Naess Endeavour not a name that comes up much she had mainly Spanish crew running out of Rotterdam. The first trip out she had a crew that run amok with fire axes etc.
and the skipper said no more British Crews God no's where the crew came from!!!!

Ahot PollY Anna,
Here your Crystal Cube, by courtesy© John Clarkson
Note: I do have some other Crystal's, if required.

Stephen J. Card
24th December 2006, 20:56
There are a few names which I don't recall as being Denholm managed ships.

NESTOR.... she was Blue Funnel

SEATRAIN BENNINGTON & SEATRAIN SARATOGA ?

STROMNESS... didn't we have BAKNESS & BINSNESS?

SUGAR TRANSPORTER?

BRAVENESS?

Stephen

Gulpers
24th December 2006, 21:38
Stephen,

Seatrain Saratoga for certain - I sailed on her and one of our members Tom S was Old Man before he joined Forth Ports. Seatrain Bennington was sister ship. (Thumb)

ruud
27th December 2006, 12:20
There are a few names which I don't recall as being Denholm managed ships.

NESTOR.... she was Blue Funnel

SEATRAIN BENNINGTON & SEATRAIN SARATOGA ?

STROMNESS... didn't we have BAKNESS & BINSNESS?

SUGAR TRANSPORTER?

BRAVENESS?

Stephen

Ahoy,
Here the SUGAR TRANSPORTER, I do have some other SUGAR's, if required:
Photo courtesy/© by John Clarkson

randcmackenzie
3rd January 2007, 18:51
Sailed on the sister ship Naess Cavalier as 3rd.trip deck apprentice in 1964.
Spent 15 happy months on board. They were good ships.

JC
Clipper and Cavalier were Mitsubishi sisters, Clarion a Mitsui one-off.

Adrian Goodwin
4th January 2007, 20:58
Re Denholms.
I was involved with Denholm over many years and for three years worked in their Houston Office. We managed, among other very interesting vessels, a Burmpac vessel, Burmpac Bahamas. VLCC built in Italy with 1000mm bore Fiat engines and they were monsters. They also managed two further sisters Blue Fin and Yellow Fin.
Spent many sleepless nights whilst involved.

Hi

I did three trips on the Burmpac Bahamas as Chief Engineer. First time with the Italians who initially crewed her.
It was a wreck. Diesel gensets destroying themselves, TA Condesor end cover collapsing. Boilers contaminated with oil.

I left here in the Bahamas with only one working generator when she was taken off charter as she was unable to sail.

Rothesay Mike
5th January 2007, 09:56
It may be that some of the ships were in fact customers of the Denholm agency in Greenock. Gastor for example was laid up in Loch Striven for 20 years with her sister Nestor, Blue Flue of course.

These are both now in service as LNG Lagos and LNG Port Harcourt.

The Sugar vessels were regular callers in Greenock.

tumble38
7th January 2007, 23:32
Stephen,

Seatrain Saratoga for certain - I sailed on her and one of our members Tom S was Old Man before he joined Forth Ports. Seatrain Bennington was sister ship. (Thumb)
Seatrain Saratoga was renamed the TFL Jefferson, sailed on her under both names.
Another one for the list Caledonian Forest

Gulpers
8th January 2007, 11:48
tumble38,

Thanks for that. Did you notice the recent photographs and threads covering the loss of CP Glory - one of Seatrain Saratoga's sisterships?

I see you have been registered with SN since Dec 2004 so I'm delighted that you have chosen to make your first post in the "Diamond D" thread.

Keep at it and join in with some of oue banter.(Thumb)

ianwesty
3rd February 2007, 11:45
I was an engineering cadet on the Burmah Legacy in 1982 also served time on the Cast Narwhal. Other ships I sailed on with Denhoms were the Afran Sky,Merchant Pioneer and the Wellpark.I noticed some were missing from your list.

ianwesty
3rd February 2007, 12:14
I've just looked at my discharge book and I've forgotten the MV Helm.Served on her from11/84 to 4/85

ianwesty
3rd February 2007, 12:19
The Burmah Legacy at the time was the biggest tanker to enter Sydney Harbour and we just managed to clear the Bridge! Was on Channel 9 news, the first of many contacts with the press in my time at sea! On route from Mobile we were placed on stby to go to the Falklands( or so we were told?),but we were replaced by the Atlantic Conveyor and we all know what happened to that one!

Dick S
11th February 2007, 10:16
Only just joined!(ex 3rd/2nd Mate)
Have just read some of the posts and it brings back happy memories of my time with the Diamond D. ships I was on included Eden Bridge(my reliefe was killed after only a few days when he fell down a hold or tank).Nordic Louisianna - stood by her for 4months in Port Sulphur, with a 2nd Engineer when laid up. Broompark twice(always seemed to end up in the Great Lakes and Australia!) Clunepark was my first trip with DD in the early 70s Lloyd was captain. I did a trip on the Nordic Clansman but that is a complete blank except for the hydrolic indicators not working and having to put my ear to the pipeline and listen for the valves opening/closing. Happy days!etc etc etc. What I remember most is the great people I met all characters and all good shipmates.

sorry did not mean to Rabbit

Enjoy life Dick

Gulpers
11th February 2007, 12:44
Only just joined!(ex 3rd/2nd Mate)
Have just read some of the posts and it brings back happy memories of my time with the Diamond D. ships I was on included Eden Bridge(my reliefe was killed after only a few days when he fell down a hold or tank).Nordic Louisianna - stood by her for 4months in Port Sulphur, with a 2nd Engineer when laid up. Broompark twice(always seemed to end up in the Great Lakes and Australia!) Clunepark was my first trip with DD in the early 70s Lloyd was captain. I did a trip on the Nordic Clansman but that is a complete blank except for the hydrolic indicators not working and having to put my ear to the pipeline and listen for the valves opening/closing. Happy days!etc etc etc. What I remember most is the great people I met all characters and all good shipmates.

sorry did not mean to Rabbit

Enjoy life Dick

Dick,

Was the 3/O who fell to his death on Eden Bridge "Stevie Saunders?"

I sailed with Stevie on Erskine Bridge and by coincidence, a week or two ago John Cassels and I were trying to remember which ship Stevie died on.

Rgds (Thumb)

Dick S
11th February 2007, 14:03
Ray
Will contact you personally as my memory may play me false and I do want to hurt anyone

Dick

Stephen J. Card
11th February 2007, 21:23
Dick,

Was the 3/O who fell to his death on Eden Bridge "Stevie Saunders?"

I sailed with Stevie on Erskine Bridge and by coincidence, a week or two ago John Cassels and I were trying to remember which ship Stevie died on.

Rgds (Thumb)

Ray,

Stevie Saunders and I were for for 2/M in Glasgow together. Fine fellow for sure. He owned one of those small and dangerous 3-wheeled vans. He rolled it one day coming to college. The topside was ground away to nothing but fortunately...in this case... Stevie did not have a seatbelt on and he was thrown from the wreck. He was in hospital for for a few weeks. He was killed on his next ship. If you have any old Denholm News handy, the story was carried in Ship News... I guess around Simmer 1975.

Stephen

Gulpers
11th February 2007, 22:41
Ray,

Stevie Saunders and I were for for 2/M in Glasgow together. Fine fellow for sure. He owned one of those small and dangerous 3-wheeled vans. He rolled it one day coming to college. The topside was ground away to nothing but fortunately...in this case... Stevie did not have a seatbelt on and he was thrown from the wreck. He was in hospital for for a few weeks. He was killed on his next ship. If you have any old Denholm News handy, the story was carried in Ship News... I guess around Simmer 1975.

Stephen

Stephen,

Yes, thank you for the confirmation. Dick S has also sent me a PM which ties in exactly with what you wrote.
If I remember correctly, Stevie was from Barnsley and was proud of his membership of the "Royal Antediluvian Order Of Buffaloes!"

dowling
19th February 2007, 21:56
(found my old book and after reading some of the stories on this site i have to ask is their any other old g.p. ratings still out there as well,or am i all alone?sailed with denholms first boat was the loch lomond aug.76-jan.77.stayed with denholms till march-79 then went into north sea-still there yet with farstad as motorman. a few photos of denholm ships passed onto me by my old man archie dowling.fort st. catherine-naess spirit-loch maree-trollriver. will try to send copies to anyone if they require them.it may take a while as i am new to this kind of technology.

Gulpers
19th February 2007, 22:09
Welcome to SN Dowling and more specifically to the Denholm thread.

I don't think I met you but I certainly sailed with your Old Man on Troll River.

He was our Lecky - big bearded guy with glasses, and always game for a yarn or a laugh! (Thumb)

Scraping the barrel here but didn't your mother sail with him too? Was her name June? (?HUH)

dowling
20th February 2007, 14:43
Welcome to SN Dowling and more specifically to the Denholm thread.

I don't think I met you but I certainly sailed with your Old Man on Troll River.

He was our Lecky - big bearded guy with glasses, and always game for a yarn or a laugh! (Thumb)

Scraping the barrel here but didn't your mother sail with him too? Was her name June? (?HUH)

cannot remember any laughs with him.yes my mothers name was june and she was away with him a few times on arctic troll.she passed away a few years ago.currently sailing with ex-denholm cook alex leckie from largs.he has been filling me in on what happened with the company as he says he was one of the last cooks to finish.

Gulpers
20th February 2007, 17:07
cannot remember any laughs with him.yes my mothers name was june and she was away with him a few times on arctic troll.she passed away a few years ago.currently sailing with ex-denholm cook alex leckie from largs.he has been filling me in on what happened with the company as he says he was one of the last cooks to finish.

Could well have been Arctic Troll right enough. Sorry to hear about your Mum.

dowling
20th February 2007, 20:28
old archie still going about but now showing his age a wee bit.he now stays down near fleetwood.

Graham Hutton
25th February 2007, 21:14
Hi Gulpers

Joined denholms in 1966 as Engineer Cadet, left Anglo Eastern in 2004 as base manager for NATO Research Vessel ALLIANCE.( AE had taken over /merged with Denholm Ship Management in 2003.)

During time with Denholm sailed on following - Naess Endeavour, Naess Sovereign, Nordic Texas, Muirfield, Scandia Team, Novergia Team, Euroliner, Eurofreighter, Nordic Louisiana, Chemical Venturer, Subsea Canopus, RV ALLIANCE.

The last two were managed by Denholm Offshore from Aberdeen and then transfered back to Denholm Ship Management in Glasgow.

Have pictures of most of these somewhere, apart from the Endeavour and Sovereign as I was a poor cadet and couldn't afford a camera.

Graham

Graham Hutton
25th February 2007, 21:18
Dick

2nd Engineer was me. Still connected with the remains of Denholms but from the owners side.

Graham Hutton

Gulpers
26th February 2007, 02:06
Hi Gulpers

Joined denholms in 1966 as Engineer Cadet, left Anglo Eastern in 2004 as base manager for NATO Research Vessel ALLIANCE.( AE had taken over /merged with Denholm Ship Management in 2003.)

During time with Denholm sailed on following - Naess Endeavour, Naess Sovereign, Nordic Texas, Muirfield, Scandia Team, Novergia Team, Euroliner, Eurofreighter, Nordic Louisiana, Chemical Venturer, Subsea Canopus, RV ALLIANCE.

The last two were managed by Denholm Offshore from Aberdeen and then transfered back to Denholm Ship Management in Glasgow.

Have pictures of most of these somewhere, apart from the Endeavour and Sovereign as I was a poor cadet and couldn't afford a camera.

Graham

Graham,

A warm welcome to the site, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

xdenholm
26th February 2007, 09:33
Hi Gulpers

Graham

hi graham was it as late as 2003 denholms merged with AE. i seem to have read 2000? mike p also just joined this site you must certainly know him.as your leader.(Thumb) you dont happen to know when denholm left st vincent street for that other office by chance?

Dick S
26th February 2007, 19:17
Graham,
glad to hear you are still around - I never thought you'd make it after those months in Port Sulphur - remember Mardi Gras and my creme de shandies!!!!!

Dick

Argyll
26th February 2007, 19:56
Hullo Dowling,
I was first trip apprentice (deck) on Broompark 1961/1962 Leckie on there was Archie Dowling trip lasted 14 months 5days. I think he stayed in Clydebank or could have been whiteinch. is this the same guy,
Argyll

dowling
27th February 2007, 21:56
Hullo Dowling,
I was first trip apprentice (deck) on Broompark 1961/1962 Leckie on there was Archie Dowling trip lasted 14 months 5days. I think he stayed in Clydebank or could have been whiteinch. is this the same guy,
Argyll

yes the same man.we stayed in whiteinch till 1965 then moved to dunbar.old archie still going about now staying down near fleetwood.think he finished with denholms early or mid eighties.i finished with denholms 1979 still at sea but in the north sea.

PollY Anna
28th February 2007, 17:39
Hi Ruud
Just seen your note on the Crystal Cube the pic looks like the one on Brian's site. I placed the other one on his site the one running with her up to Duluth in the Lakes. Good trip and very interesting with regards to the seamanship working the Locks. The St. Lawrence and the Welling Canals would make a good thread. Anyway thanks for the offer of the pic, much appreciated

PollY Anna
28th February 2007, 17:52
Hi Gulpers

Looking foward to the completed list of Denholm ships. The Naess Endeavour just does not seem to get much of a mention. I spent my first 6 months at sea running to the Gulf and back to Rotterdam. It was not what I thought the sea was all about, but it all changed when I got away from tankers.

KenLin39
1st March 2007, 15:17
Hi Ruud
Just seen your note on the Crystal Cube the pic looks like the one on Brian's site. I placed the other one on his site the one running with her up to Duluth in the Lakes. Good trip and very interesting with regards to the seamanship working the Locks. The St. Lawrence and the Welling Canals would make a good thread. Anyway thanks for the offer of the pic, much appreciated

Hi Polly Anna, that's a great photo of the Cube up the lakes, I did two trips on her to the West Indies for sugar. Ken.

ruud
1st March 2007, 15:48
Hi Ruud

Ahoy PollY Anna,
Yep I provided Brian a couple of 100+ piccies,also 100+ colliers, made on a Cd-r which he should/could use,as a lot of vessels were missing or not available and credit them photos to Mr. J.A.Ideler & A.Duncan & John Clarkson,which I do have the originals.Haven't noticed all the vessels which I supplied, but once in a while I'm looking if some are missing when I finished my scannings.
I told him not to use my name as provider as I only own these piccies and were made by others, fair enough I would say.
But seen that photo at Brian's site I would say it's a John Clarkson photo,as she resembles a lot.?

paddywhack1967
9th March 2007, 20:24
This is Paddy O'Connell and I sailed with Denholms from 1977 to 1988.I sailed on the Artic Troll,Troll Lake,Troll Park,Cast Bluewhale,Vancouver Forest,Seatrain Saratoga,Cape Race,Northern Enterprise and many more.(==D) .At this moment in time I am now in the North Sea working with Farstad Shipping.Does anybody else ever sail with Denholms along with me on these ships???

Gulpers
9th March 2007, 21:20
Paddy,

A warm welcome to SN and more specifically to the Denholm thread.
From your list of ships, I sailed on Arctic Troll, Troll Park, Vancouver Forest (after conversion to Containership) and Seatrain Saratoga.
I'm sure our paths must have crossed at some time! (Thumb)

R58484956
10th March 2007, 17:57
Greetings and welcome Paddy to the SN site, as you can see plenty of information flowing through the threads. Bon voyage.

muldonaich
10th March 2007, 20:29
This is Paddy O'Connell and I sailed with Denholms from 1977 to 1988.I sailed on the Artic Troll,Troll Lake,Troll Park,Cast Bluewhale,Vancouver Forest,Seatrain Saratoga,Cape Race,Northern Enterprise and many more.(==D) .At this moment in time I am now in the North Sea working with Farstad Shipping.Does anybody else ever sail with Denholms along with me on these ships???hi there pat long time no speak kev.

dowling
17th March 2007, 21:04
hi paddy don't know if i sailed with you or not with denholms i am also currently with farstad waiting to join the sound regards graham dowling.

wa002f0328
17th March 2007, 22:20
Was the Lylepark in Walleroo in 1954? reason I am asking, skinned out of King Robert and there was one of Denholms in.

paddywhack1967
17th March 2007, 23:42
[QUOTE=dowling;115873]hi paddy don't know if i sailed with you or not with denholms i am also currently with farstad waiting to join the sound regards graham dowling.Hi,Graham
not sure if i sailed with you with Denholms.Are you with donnys crew.? Better get your suntan lotion ready for India.
rgds Pat

dowling
19th March 2007, 22:31
yes i have got all the factor 50 packed and now waiting for the list off jags required to go there. no definate word as yet, do not even know if the sound has left norway yet.will look out my old book for dates,just incase we did sail together.you,re bound to remember my old man archie,was leckie with denholms same time as noah finished the ark.

Argyll
20th March 2007, 15:25
Hullo Dowling,
just for the record, as stated before ,I did my first trip with Archie which began 28/03/61. I don't remember seeing the arc in Immingham,
that day,
Argyll

Irvingman
20th March 2007, 15:55
I was on the Vancouver Forest in 1973, was there not a Vancouver Trader as well. Similar type, break bulk then probably converted.

muldonaich
20th March 2007, 19:46
I was on the Vancouver Forest in 1973, was there not a Vancouver Trader as well. Similar type, break bulk then probably converted.yes there was but i never sailed on her kev.

dowling
20th March 2007, 22:09
hullo argyll archie has said he will try and find all the old photographs he has stashed away on the monkey island of the ark and once i find out how to transfer them i will post them onto the rough,s gallery.regards graham.

R904444
20th March 2007, 23:24
I was on the Vancouver Forest in 1973, was there not a Vancouver Trader as well. Similar type, break bulk then probably converted.

I sailed on the Vancouver Trader as 4th Eng from Sept 76 - Feb 77 she was a 22000 tonner built for the Great Lakes trade as the Essex Trader.
She had the same funnel as the Vancouver Trader and was operated by Denholms for Brostroms.

We sailed from Nantes to Toledo, loaded grain for Glasgow - Meadowside, then back to Toledo for more grain this time for Avonmouth, we then went up the Hudson River to load grain at Albany for Leith. That was during the big freeze up on the US East Coast-we had to get an icebreaker to assist us up and down the river.

We engineers and the deck crew spent many hours working together changing exhaust valves on the Gotaverken Main Engine during Atlantic swells and storms.

I don't remember what happened to her.

The captain was Alec McGregor, Chiefs were Roger Duke & Tommy Erskine and the Second was big George Boyd.

Hope this brings back some memories for you.
Andy McArthur

Gulpers
20th March 2007, 23:34
I sailed on the Vancouver Trader as 4th Eng from Sept 76 - Feb 77 she was a 22000 tonner built for the Great Lakes trade as the Essex Trader.
She had the same funnel as the Vancouver Trader and was operated by Denholms for Brostroms.

We sailed from Nantes to Toledo, loaded grain for Glasgow - Meadowside, then back to Toledo for more grain this time for Avonmouth, we then went up the Hudson River to load grain at Albany for Leith. That was during the big freeze up on the US East Coast-we had to get an icebreaker to assist us up and down the river.

We engineers and the deck crew spent many hours working together changing exhaust valves on the Gotaverken Main Engine during Atlantic swells and storms.

The captain was Alec McGregor, Chiefs were Roger Duke & Tommy Erskine and the Second was big George Boyd.

Andy McArthur

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the information ... a few names there for us to reflect over!
You don't by chance have a photograph of Vancouver Trader which you could post? (Thumb)

muldonaich
21st March 2007, 00:32

Andy McArthursailed with tommy erskine great little guy.

dowling
21st March 2007, 22:47
hi again paddywack,looked through the old book and the ships were as follows loch lomond 10-8-76 till 6-1-77,trollriver 28-2-77 till 2-6-77,then the good boys boat, asiafreighter 5-7-77 to 6-10 77,loch maree 9-11-77 to13-2-78,vancouver forest 22-5-78 to 24-9-78,then finally the trollriver again 20-11-78 to 20-3-79 when i made possibly a bad move and went ashore for a while.so if any of these dates correspond with yours we will soon find out.yes i am on the swing with big donny.told him to get registered with this site and to get his father to do the same,as i believe he is ex-denholm, as well.regards graham

paddywhack1967
22nd March 2007, 00:22
hi again paddywack,looked through the old book and the ships were as follows loch lomond 10-8-76 till 6-1-77,trollriver 28-2-77 till 2-6-77,then the good boys boat, asiafreighter 5-7-77 to 6-10 77,loch maree 9-11-77 to13-2-78,vancouver forest 22-5-78 to 24-9-78,then finally the trollriver again 20-11-78 to 20-3-79 when i made possibly a bad move and went ashore for a while.so if any of these dates correspond with yours we will soon find out.yes i am on the swing with big donny.told him to get registered with this site and to get his father to do the same,as i believe he is ex-denholm, as well.regards grahamHi graham going by these dates i missed u on the Vancouver Forest.I joined in 1979 on the 29th of dec in tilbury.The captain was J.F. houghton ,bosun was Kevin Hargin,cook was Pat Crogen,PO was Fred Bramell.I'm joining the Far Supplier in drydock in Aberdeen.Alan Jarvis phoned me last night to tell me that the Indian charter has been put back for three or four months.She's on the spot market in Aberdeen

R904444
22nd March 2007, 01:12
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the information ... a few names there for us to reflect over!
You don't by chance have a photograph of Vancouver Trader which you could post? (Thumb)

Hi Ray,

The only photo I have is a view of the stern handrail and flag staff with the Statue of Liberty in the far background as a green speck so it would not be worth uploading to the site.

Regards

Andy

Gulpers
22nd March 2007, 07:14
Andy,

Thanks for looking.

However, I bet it's a beautiful rail and flag staff! (Jester)

xdenholm
22nd March 2007, 10:38
hi again paddywack,looked through the old book and the ships were as follows loch lomond 10-8-76 till 6-1-77,trollriver 28-2-77 till 2-6-77,then the good boys boat, asiafreighter 5-7-77 to 6-10 77,loch maree 9-11-77 to13-2-78,vancouver forest 22-5-78 to 24-9-78,then finally the trollriver again 20-11-78 to 20-3-79 when i made possibly a bad move and went ashore for a while.so if any of these dates correspond with yours we will soon find out.yes i am on the swing with big donny.told him to get registered with this site and to get his father to do the same,as i believe he is ex-denholm, as well.regards graham

i was on maree end oct 77 to june 78 joined in antwerp .i remember it was snowing and i was impressed with all the crew with their black duffel coats with loch maree on the back, i remember the refeer, alec had the delux one ,the mauve one with the bone toggles "i want that one"(Jester) i thought.[=P]

dowling
26th March 2007, 22:38
hi exdenholm,we must have joined the same day,my book has the date as 7-11-77,antwerp.can,t remember the snow but definately remember that ship never seen any warm gear,did she run to golfito or puerto limon?i paid off in hamburg 13-2-78.do you remember any others from that trip?regards graham dowling.

Angus Murray
26th March 2007, 23:38
Does anyone know of Charlie Stephen. He was Ch Steward with me on one of the ore carriers (possibly Sir Andrew Duncan). He was a great piper, and frequently piped the pilot on/off the vessel. A very nice man. I am sure his wife came from Eriskay.That would have been around 1969/70. I have never heard of him since.
Angus Murray

muldonaich
27th March 2007, 00:55
Does anyone know of Charlie Stephen. He was Ch Steward with me on one of the ore carriers (possibly Sir Andrew Duncan). He was a great piper, and frequently piped the pilot on/off the vessel. A very nice man. I am sure his wife came from Eriskay.That would have been around 1969/70. I have never heard of him since.
Angus Murray
hi angus i sailed with charlie many years ago great guy will send you pm regards kev.

xdenholm
27th March 2007, 09:30
hi exdenholm,we must have joined the same day,my book has the date as 7-11-77,antwerp.can,t remember the snow but definately remember that ship never seen any warm gear,did she run to golfito or puerto limon?i paid off in hamburg 13-2-78.do you remember any others from that trip?regards graham dowling.

(Thumb) yes i did golfito ,la ceiba, limon, san jaun, san cristobal ,ecuador, santo thomas, fort de france ,los angeles san diego to name but a few bob todd was 2/eng, dave bisset was ch/eng ian powrie 3rd ,alisater was 4th/eng ,capt was bell etc alec was reefer though i sailed with deacon, pride,harvey mackaskill think lecky name was john something etc because i was on her so long .i flew from glasgow i think it may have been a direct flight to?i paid off dover in june 78 along with pride and bob todd had again releived him also remember coming off 12-4 in the morning open up the bread bin in the duty mess and it was alive with cockroaches, i didnt bother with a sandwich that particular morning(Jester) was ashore with a few members of crew i can picture them but names???

dowling
27th March 2007, 23:08
hi again exdenholm ever sail with my old man archie he was lecky on a lot of the denholm ships?another blast from the past, ian soutar[soapy]was 2nd mate when i sailed with him on the trollriver, last trip she done before her conversion to containerism in oslo drydock.regards graham dowling.

xdenholm
28th March 2007, 09:27
hi again exdenholm ever sail with my old man archie he was lecky on a lot of the denholm ships?another blast from the past, ian soutar[soapy]was 2nd mate when i sailed with him on the trollriver, last trip she done before her conversion to containerism in oslo drydock.regards graham dowling.

(Thumb) i seem to remember someone paging me at glasgow airport when i joined maree ,but cant remember who, could have been the cook?, remember someone called jimmy mcqeen think he was either gp1 or po one eye looking at you the other one on the girls if its the same man , came from glasgow i think, i remember two leckys from the trolls one ive posted a picture of in the troll thread the other was a tall thin guy with glassess greying hair , his wife was the opposite her name i think was june but i,m sure they were from yorkshire ,they liked to drink, smoke ,socialize and when the ship came into tillbury or daganam they couldn d wait to get i pint of bitter and put a bet on in the bookies.but a really happy and nice couple that would have been 1980,s[=P]

dowling
29th March 2007, 16:22
hi again exdeholm,as i am fairly new to all this,how do i get onto your thread photo,s just to see if the photo is of archie.my mother,s name was june but she did not come from yorkshire.anybody out there gve me info on how to put photo,s onto this site:o

xdenholm
29th March 2007, 18:07
hi again exdeholm,as i am fairly new to all this,how do i get onto your thread photo,s just to see if the photo is of archie.my mother,s name was june but she did not come from yorkshire.anybody out there gve me info on how to put photo,s onto this site:o

(Thumb) if you go to the troll boats thread and page 5 youll see the lecky pic though thats not your father pic i,m sure ,i dont have one of the other lecky and his wife though i did go ashore with them a few times, if you want to put a pic on a thread scan it first to file , then just reply to thread as normal then use the manage attachments below the faces to add a pic to a thread(Thumb)

dowling
29th March 2007, 22:10
thanks.managed to get a few photo,s onto the gallery,members photo,s one of the loch maree,and one of the fort st.catherine,listed her under tankers,loch boat,cargo.regards graham dowling.

xdenholm
30th March 2007, 09:32
thanks.managed to get a few photo,s onto the gallery,members photo,s one of the loch maree,and one of the fort st.catherine,listed her under tankers,loch boat,cargo.regards graham dowling.

excellent pictures archie any more of the crew or ship on maree, your fathers group picture looks like someone i sailed with on the gtv,s, was he on any of them.(Thumb)

dowling
30th March 2007, 12:38
hi exdenholm,glad the photo,s are o.k.my father,archie dowling never done a trip on any of the gtv,s,but he did come and pick me up on payoff day when i was on the asiafreighter and i gave him a tour.he was very impressed but if i remember he was a dedicated troll boat man by then.

dowling
30th March 2007, 14:49
hi gulpers,following the introduction of my photo,s to the picture gallery,i have quized my father as to what ships they were taken on,the one on his own was the LINKONE,was this one of denholms earlier ships?she was a small wet paper pulp carrier that sank shortly after he got off it in 1961.rgds dowling.

Irvingman
30th March 2007, 16:01
Was there a Stonehaven (?) ran the Arab Israel route in the early 70's.
Not listed in the magazine and those sailing on her were listed as on leave if I recall.

Sorry this was supposed to be in response to an earlier reply on page 2 but I've put it in the wrong place (as the actress ............)(*))

Irvingman
30th March 2007, 16:26

Andy McArthur

The Vancouver Forest was an RD Sulzer, rotary exhaust valves were the fun item there(MAD)
Joined in Victoria, Vancouver Island as Eng Cadet with the Old Man - Nail McIver - Does that name send shivers down any spines.
He started off by introducing bar hours then closed the bar altogether, used to leave little tracts of scripture in your cabin after Sunday inspection. There was also a 3rd mate with a tin leg (Les, the surname escapes me) lost the leg in during the war when his ship was torpedoed. Used to show me his replacement Discharge Book with the record of the sinking in it.

xdenholm
30th March 2007, 17:14
irvingman think you got your M.E. wrong , gotaverken M.E. me thinks is correct .vancouver forrest had her M.E. replaced in late 77 /early 78 due to chain breaking and came through side of M.E. only to destroy a geny.archie dowling your face i remember can you remember whom the E.R gp,s were on maree at that time or the chippy ?

Irvingman
30th March 2007, 17:46
irvingman think you got your M.E. wrong , gotaverken M.E. me thinks is correct .vancouver forrest had her M.E. replaced in late 77 /early 78 due to chain breaking and came through side of M.E. only to destroy a geny.archie dowling your face i remember can you remember whom the E.R gp,s were on maree at that time or the chippy ?

Hi.
Just got my little purple Sea Service record book out, I am going back to 1975 here. Vancouver Forest, Built Charles Connel & Co, with a 7RD76 760mm bore Barclay Curle Sulzer. Ruston straight six Generators. Chief Engineer was from IOM James Cowley. Chinese crew.This was before conversion to take containers, she may well have been re-engined later, I left the company in 78.

The Vancouver Trader could well have been Gotaverken.

dowling
31st March 2007, 16:49
hi exdenholm,just to unconfuse you,my father was archie dowling,electrician,myself,graham dowling,g.p.1.will look through the rest of my photo,s and see if there are any more when i was on the maree.i know i was stuck down the pit most times because the rest of the lads were deck,i was the only [real] e.r.rating onboard.regds graham.

xdenholm
1st April 2007, 09:59
hi exdenholm,just to unconfuse you,my father was archie dowling,electrician,myself,graham dowling,g.p.1.will look through the rest of my photo,s and see if there are any more when i was on the maree.i know i was stuck down the pit most times because the rest of the lads were deck,i was the only [real] e.r.rating onboard.regds graham.

graham , i remember your face , (Thumb) i,m just trying to remember the first few months of the trip?(30years ago)(though tom s, jc and gulphers whose only a few years in front of me put me to shame ,memory wise)i was eng cadet at that time, the only one. bob todd was 2/eng then m pride joined in jan/feb78 think her first stop was fort de france with a discharge of ford lorry chassis, and banana uplift. then limon for more bananas,seem to remember funnel being painted when she changed charter?(Thumb) what do you remember of the voyage ?p.s. tex would stand out anywhere with that haircut.did he not play shaft in the film of that name (Jester)

dowling
1st April 2007, 15:02
did the galley boy not get rushed to hospital in limon,dived of the bridge while we were at anchor waiting on a blue star boat loading up?tex would stand out anywhere even with no hair.alex leckie still at sea,meet him often in aberdeen when both our shops are in.remember willie barclay from lesmahagow?rgds graham.

xdenholm
2nd April 2007, 16:56
did the galley boy not get rushed to hospital in limon,dived of the bridge while we were at anchor waiting on a blue star boat loading up?tex would stand out anywhere even with no hair.alex leckie still at sea,meet him often in aberdeen when both our shops are in.remember willie barclay from lesmahagow?rgds graham.

yes the galley boy and others jumped into the water at anchor but from the gangway not from the bridge,the water was very inviting,we berthed alongside a blue funnel , it was a riveted job, regesterd in liverpool with derrick cranes ,general cargo ,unloading sheet steel and beams ,slightly smaller than maree, we got on her for a drink in the bar and look round the ship,(Thumb) that was interesting ,reminded me of the clan line ships in glasgow,all the passageways in the accomadation were painted ,lino and carpets, well thats a luxury, but the captains and c/o s made sure these ships were imaculate.with the help of the crew of course.having been on clan macintosh and maciver[=P]

Tom S
16th April 2007, 21:15
A few of the Fleet from 1982
"Advara"
'Al Ain"
"Al Dhafrah"
"Alexander Dio"
Andros"
"Artic Troll"
"Bern"
"Bilbao"
"Broland"
"Burmah Endeavour"
"Burmah Enterprise"
"Burmah Legacy"
"Burmah Pearl"
"Burmah Peridot"
"Cast Bear"
"Cast Caribou"
"Cast Cormorant"
"Cast Fulmar"
"Cast Gannet"
"Cast Gulf"
"Cast Heron"
"Cast Kittiwake" ex Nordic Challenger
"Cast Narwhal"
"Cast Petrel"
"Cast Puffin"
"Cast Skua"
"Chemical Explorer"
"Chemical Venturer"
"Coastal Corpus Christi"
"Coastal Hercules"
"Dalma"
"Glenpark"
"Lamma Forest" ex Clarkspey
"Lantau Trader"
"London Team"
"Malmros Monsoon"
"Mapy T"
"Mariajose T"
"Marilena"
"Nordic Clansman"
"Nordic Commander"
"Nordic Louisiana"
"Nordic Patriot"
"Nordic Texas"
"Scandia Team"
"Sir Alexander Glen"
"Tai Cheung"
"Troll Lake"
"Troll Park"
"Wellpark"
Now there must be some interesting thoughts about some of these?
TomS

paddywhack1967
23rd April 2007, 15:20
[=P] Anyone on the Vancouver Forest when we were in the collision in the Suez Canal.I remember when we lost several containers overboard also several landed on the boat that was alongside.I think the cause was,the Anchor was dragging and the wind was pushing the boat onto the quay.(==D)

muldonaich
23rd April 2007, 18:35
no pat it was blowing a hooley our cable was out about seven shackles i was up ford checking when the japanese ship picked up her anchor steamed right across our bow over the cablewe hit her on the port side ford lost some containers but we got paid well to lift of the damaged ones in dubia the arabs would not touch them the best part of it was the jap tried to blame us we were the one at anchor captain blackie was none to pleased are you just home terrible about the anchor handler regards kev.

paddywhack1967
23rd April 2007, 22:44
no pat it was blowing a hooley our cable was out about seven shackles i was up ford checking when the japanese ship picked up her anchor steamed right across our bow over the cablewe hit her on the port side ford lost some containers but we got paid well to lift of the damaged ones in dubia the arabs would not touch them the best part of it was the jap tried to blame us we were the one at anchor captain blackie was none to pleased are you just home terrible about the anchor handler regards kev.
Hi Kevin
got home yesterday remember it now.We had plenty of wine to keep us going that trip after the collission.New AB joined our boat yesterday,he comes from Barra his name is Steven Mc neil,he work for Gulf Offshore before he joined us.he knows you
rgds Pat

muldonaich
23rd April 2007, 23:09
he goes with the music teacher in school his dad does relief janny good to talk to you again pat it was realy sad about the anchor handler regards kev.

paddywhack1967
20th June 2007, 14:23
Hi,Kevin just got home today.Do you remember the hassle with the crew joining the new cast boats in Korea.Some of the crew had no passports,but were still able to fly from THE UK.When they arrived in Japan they were going to sent them hme.So when i joined the Cast Bluewhale in Korea Sylvia Aitken made sure we had passports,the captain was Jim Anderson
rgds Pat

muldonaich
21st June 2007, 00:05
Hi,Kevin just got home today.Do you remember the hassle with the crew joining the new cast boats in Korea.Some of the crew had no passports,but were still able to fly from THE UK.When they arrived in Japan they were going to sent them hme.So when i joined the Cast Bluewhale in Korea Sylvia Aitken made sure we had passports,the captain was Jim Anderson
rgds Patremember it well pat i was out there standing by cast huskybob cotter old man eric mate cant remember cheng pat was cook barra john sandy thomson etc we were out there for ages did not know what was happening half the time we left with next to no stores headed for la where denholms put stores aboard then up to montreal nothing but hassle there because nobody in cast was paying bills still we had some great laughs regards pat kevin.

John Cassels
21st June 2007, 08:55
Kevin , no one in Cast was paying bills ..........is this a dig at me ?.

Was not Dick Huyshe mate ?.

muldonaich
21st June 2007, 12:18
Kevin , no one in Cast was paying bills ..........is this a dig at me ?.

Was not Dick Huyshe mate ?.no dig at you john and no eric icant remember his second name was mate the cheng came from your part of the country his son went into denholms as a deck cadet when bob told him he should be ashamed of him he replied it was that or borstal we had some great laughs on there john you must know him a great guy kev.

randcmackenzie
23rd June 2007, 23:36
no dig at you john and no eric icant remember his second name was mate the cheng came from your part of the country his son went into denholms as a deck cadet when bob told him he should be ashamed of him he replied it was that or borstal we had some great laughs on there john you must know him a great guy kev.

Eric Griffin, maybe?

muldonaich
24th June 2007, 00:06
Eric Griffin, maybe?thank you roddy you hit the nail on the head first time he was a great guy he left after the first trip dont know where he went after that best regards kev.

Brian Dodd
9th July 2007, 23:06
Hello Gulpers
I sailed as R/O on the Hopepark Feb-May71, Conon Forest Jun71-Feb72, Gina Maria Jul72-Jan73 and Mountpark Mar73-Sep73, I left Marconi to go direct
employ with SSM but only lasted two trips, fell out and joined BP, must have
been mad. Apart from Hopepark which was an ex Esso tanker bought on the stocks for some New York outfit I enjoyed all my trips, good ships and crews
especially the Gina Maria, US east coast to Central America/Mexico with
general. Some ships I remember Federal Hudson, Fidentia, Dealbrook, Sig Ragne, Haverton, Axel Hieberg, Fort St catherine, another Fort something, will probably find somemore

Cherrs
Brian

Brian Dodd
2nd September 2007, 17:09
John

Best Regards

Roddy

Roddy
Hi Brian Dodd from the Mountpark all those years ago
thought I saw you once in the gents at Aberdeen Airport
but after a couple of shakes you where no where to be
seen, its the days af three bars in Dyce ????
Brian

Neil Kempsell
7th September 2007, 11:06
hello fellow Diamond D's. Anyone sailed on Loch Lomond around 1980? I was 3rd mate. In my opinion they were the best little ships in the Denholms Management Fleet. With sister ship Loch Maree, both built on Clyde
History: Built 1975 "Loch Lomond", Chas. Connell & Co., Glasgow, 1981 purchased by Salen Redereina, Stockholm and sold to Oman renamed Al-Zahra, 1984 sold renamed Fastelle, 1984 purchased from Fastelle Shipping Co, Hong Kong and renamed Geesthaven, 1993 sold to Bahamas, renamed Star Haven. 8,030 tons. Is she still sailing? or have the shell doors gone to meet their maker !

Gulpers
7th September 2007, 11:24
Neil,

A warm welcome to the site from another ex-Denholm man on the Isle of Anglesey.
I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

There have been quite a few messages about the Loch ships in the Denholm Forum and, if you go to the Gallery and search for "Loch Lomond" there are quite a few photographs of your baby - like this one (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54433/si/LOch%20Lomond/what/allfields)by Fairfield. (Applause)

Gulpers
7th September 2007, 11:27
Neil,

She had more name changes after those you mentioned.

1996 PACIFIC KORU
1997 MARY K.
1997 PATAGONIAN PRIDE

Sadly she was broken up in Alang in December 2000.(Sad)

stewart pottinger
10th October 2007, 12:20
I sailed as 3rd Mate on the Avon Bridge, circa 1971? Marcus Gunn from Orkney was Master.

muldonaich
10th October 2007, 15:49
I sailed as 3rd Mate on the Avon Bridge, circa 1971? Marcus Gunn from Orkney was Master.i sailed with marcus on naess louisiana he was mate i think he ended up in charge of sullum voe or something like that good guy kev.

John Cassels
10th October 2007, 19:21
Hi Kev , still going strong ? How is BJ.

Missus and me planning a trip back to the old country next spring or so.
Who knows what can happen ?.

muldonaich
10th October 2007, 19:42
Hi Kev , still going strong ? How is BJ.

Missus and me planning a trip back to the old country next spring or so.
Who knows what can happen ?.if you get to barra pop in and see us bj doing well regards kev.

Gulpers
11th October 2007, 00:30
I sailed as 3rd Mate on the Avon Bridge, circa 1971? Marcus Gunn from Orkney was Master.

Stewart,

A warm welcome to SN. Good to see another ex shipmate coming out of the woodwork - was it Seatrain Saratoa or Vancouver Forest we sailed together on? (?HUH)

Argyll
11th October 2007, 20:50
hullo Dowling ,
was trawling through old threads and thought you might like to know that I sail with an old acquantice you sailed with George Mc Greevy ,who was telling me he knew a Bert Campbell, I met up with Bert a couple of months ago, he was working on the Saturn a Cal-mac ferry, Bert and I were together in Elder Dempster and were Joined at the hip, I was best man at his First marriage which did not last too long, that was the first I saw bert in 40 years.

paddywhack1967
11th October 2007, 22:55
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga [I](Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

add cast bluewhale (obo) joined in ulsan in '83.Great ship the captain was a guy called jim anderson,think he became a pilot in sullom voe.rgds pat

Argyll
14th October 2007, 18:22
Hello Gulpers,
I just came back on line and see you are looking for memories,
I was app from 1961 till 1964, ships I served were Broompark (general cargo) Dunkyle (ore carrier) Naess Cavalier (bulk carrier) Naess Clipper(Bulk carrier)sister ship to Cavalier. both built in Nagaski. Crinan (ore carier) cadet ship. some of the ships you mentioned were different types when I was there e.g. clunepark was a general cargo, v/l wellpark was an ore carrier.I think i'm right in saying she was originally called Needles and belonged to Clyde Shipping if I'm wrong then I 'm sure some of the older hands will correct. I could go on with some character assination but maybe leave that till another day,
Argyll.
PS anyone out sail with a Bert Campbell

Gulpers
15th October 2007, 02:15
Hello Argyll,

Thanks for your input.
Sailed with Bert on Vancouver Forest several times - a bloody good Bosun! (Thumb)

Donnie More
25th October 2007, 02:06
Angus Murray

Charlie was cook on supply boats with Loch Offshore / Farstad , a perfect gentleman , all the ex- Denholms lads knew him well ,as he came into north sea with Denholms on Atlantic Rolgo = Loch Carron , 'used to carry a set o' drumsticks and practiced on the work tops every night before he left the galley , stayed right to 65, walked the west highland way , and made a grand pot o' soup , must be retired ten years or more , lived in Fife , he kept in touch for a few years , I may have his phone number at home ,
Donald More.

Angus Murray
27th October 2007, 22:51
Donnie
Good to hear about Charlie's whereabouts. Chief Stewards generally got a pretty poor press in these days, but Charlie was a perfect gentleman in every sense of the word. If you do find his telephone number, send me a PM.
Regards
Angus Murray

dowling
6th November 2007, 21:51
run into a murdo mackay on my last trip there with cal mac,he brought up a few names that will jog the memory to a few of you old denholms men,tommy maxwell,current third eng. on the muirneg,alan pringle,still working on the m.v.hascosay,he also says that ted wetherly is long retired but still plodding on,and finally capt.ernie warman,still the same old b******d.(Smoke)

JimC
12th November 2007, 15:45
John,

Welcome to the site. Any help you can give to bolster the Denholms info would be appreciated. As you say, there must plenty old "Diamond D's" out there.
Hi there!

Jim Currie here. Joned Denholm in 1953 as Apprentice on 'Ormsary'. This, I believe was denholms first adventure into non-conventional cargo vessels. She was a small bulk carrier running mostly between UK and Spain, N. and W. Africa with Iron ore. I left denholms in 1961 after a year as 2Nd mate on the 'Naess Sovereign'. I had been on the 'Naess Trader' (Same as Ormsary) and the 'Norscot' (Tanker). I was also on the 'Gaelic Fidelity' (ex British Fidelity') which was scrapped before actually falling to bits!.

JimC
12th November 2007, 15:49
Hi there!

Is that you Alastair? Thought I recognised some of the bits and pieces. If not, you are still a wee bit younger than me but catching-up!!!

JIm Currie

Skye Sierra
15th November 2007, 18:30

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list.

To add (maybe?) to your fleet list Ray do I recall, through the fog, the Denholms had management of the Globtik Sun and the Globtik Mercury at one time and the Beafort Sea and Greenland?Sea. I seem to recall some horror stories of the latter two including one where the second and third mates along with the quartermasters had to stand their watches turn about at the emergency steering position, which I believe was on the funnel deck, whilst transitting the North Atlantic in winter. If anyone on site has memories of this it would make interesting reading. (Smoke)

Gulpers
15th November 2007, 18:36
Ding-a-ling!

Those names do ring a bell, as do your recollections Roger.
Hopefully someone will fill in the details! (==D)

muldonaich
15th November 2007, 20:03
To add (maybe?) to your fleet list Ray do I recall, through the fog, the Denholms had management of the Globtik Sun and the Globtik Mercury at one time and the Beafort Sea and Greenland?Sea. I seem to recall some horror stories of the latter two including one where the second and third mates along with the quartermasters had to stand their watches turn about at the emergency steering position, which I believe was on the funnel deck, whilst transitting the North Atlantic in winter. If anyone on site has memories of this it would make interesting reading. (Smoke)no disrespect but think your on the wrong site kev.

randcmackenzie
15th November 2007, 20:46
To add (maybe?) to your fleet list Ray do I recall, through the fog, the Denholms had management of the Globtik Sun and the Globtik Mercury at one time and the Beafort Sea and Greenland?Sea. I seem to recall some horror stories of the latter two including one where the second and third mates along with the quartermasters had to stand their watches turn about at the emergency steering position, which I believe was on the funnel deck, whilst transitting the North Atlantic in winter. If anyone on site has memories of this it would make interesting reading. (Smoke)

Yes, I believe you are right Roger.

Whichever Sea it was made her way up from Venezuela or therabouts to New York in winter on emergency steering.

I sailed with the Second Mate who was there, one Stuart Hulse who went on to become master in Denholms, and ended up as a Forth pilot.

randcmackenzie
15th November 2007, 20:55
Another missing ship is the famous Agios Nicolaos Thalassoperos, better known as the ANT.

Owned by a Greek outfit and repossessed by the banks.
I think they also owned the Ypermachos and the Prodromos.

ANT was built on the Tyne for Ashland, and taken over by Denholm at anchor off a coral reef with no bunkers and a dropped rudder.

A barge came down with fuel, and Lars Nordin fixed the rudder right there with wires and jacks, though that was far from the end of her problems.

James_C
15th November 2007, 20:55
I remember Stuart from his Piloting days at Grangemouth. Wasn't his surname spelt/pronounced Hulkse though?
He retired in 1999.

randcmackenzie
15th November 2007, 20:58
I remember Stuart from his Piloting days at Grangemouth. Wasn't his surname spelt/pronounced Hulkse though?
He retired in 1999.

I sailed with him for some months Jim, I'm quite sure it was just plain Hulse - he had Scandinavian forebears somewhere.

James_C
15th November 2007, 21:13
Thanks for that, it must have just been the way it sounded. Wasn't he from Eyemouth or thereabouts?

randcmackenzie
15th November 2007, 21:29
Thanks for that, it must have just been the way it sounded. Wasn't he from Eyemouth or thereabouts?

A Dundonian, Jim.

James_C
15th November 2007, 21:33
Getting my wires crossed again - it was Jim Dougall (another Forth Pilot) who was from Eyemouth!

randcmackenzie
15th November 2007, 21:37
Getting my wires crossed again - it was Jim Dougall (another Forth Pilot) who was from Eyemouth!

I haven't seen Stuart for many years - do you know where he retired to?

I also sailed with another Forth pilot, Gordon Daly, he should probably called for the pipe and slippers by now too.

Do you know anything of his whereabouts?
I know he used to live in Falkirk.

James_C
15th November 2007, 22:13
It's been a good few years since I had much to do with the Pilots I'm afraid and lost track of many.
My father or Grandfather would have been the man to ask about Stuart, as they'd known each other since the 70s, however both crossed the bar a few years back.
I think (again, if wires aren't crossed) that Stuart headed off somewhere warm for a time, I think perhaps to see a son or daughter that was living abroad, Aussie perhaps.
Gordon Daly does ring a bell, but I can't picture his face.

randcmackenzie
15th November 2007, 22:21
[QUOTE=randcmackenzie;163555]Another missing ship is the famous Agios Nicolaos Thalassoperos, better known as the ANT.

ANT was built on the Tyne for Ashland, and taken over by Denholm at anchor off a coral reef with no bunkers and a dropped rudder.

QUOTE]

The data recall system kicked in when I was doing something trivial, she was originally the Everett F. Wells, I think a sister to the Lion ships built for Maritime Fruit.

Tom S
16th November 2007, 09:58
Stuart Hulse,Gordon Daly and Jim Dougal all Forth Pilots knew them well they are all retired now, Gordon keeps turning up at Forth Ports AGM,s looking after his investments. If the three of them dot to-gether and wrote a book it would be a best seller
TomS

Skye Sierra
16th November 2007, 14:08
Another missing ship is the famous Agios Nicolaos Thalassoperos, better known as the ANT.

Owned by a Greek outfit and repossessed by the banks.
I think they also owned the Ypermachos and the Prodromos.

A barge came down with fuel, and Lars Nordin fixed the rudder right there with wires and jacks, though that was far from the end of her problems.

Ah..... the ANT (Miramar ship index ID No 7343102)

Technically not J & J as she was managed by Denholm HongKong. Following Lars' herculean efforts she berthed in Marseille where I joined her - seconded to Denholm HongKong - in October 82. Sob story from Head Office, probably Helen Barr who was superb at press ganging. There were only 5 or 6 UK tickets on board - David Wright was the 'old man' - and we all had to traipse up to the Panamanian Embassy to be given our Panamanian temporary permit.

The story given to us was that the new Greek owner was delivering the ship to Korea for scrap and we were a run crew only. Unfortunately she carried many outstanding debts and I think was actually under arrest in Marseille until the owners sorted out the detail.

Collided with (whilst tied up alongside) by a cargo ship entering the inner harbour in the middle of the night and damaged on the starboard side in way of the bunker tanks necessitating a survey and two days in a French maritime court whilst blame was apportioned.

Eventually sailed in November I think for Korea - followed by writs and lawyers. David Wright must have known 'Hopkins' chapter and verse.

En route to Korea diverted into the Gulf to load a cargo which would pay off all the debts - yeah(Cloud) and carried on to Ulsan fully loaded & leaking like a sieve. Boiler water got contaminated and we were forced into Trincomalee Bay (still leaking) to take on water from barges - more writs, bills & legal reps in attendance.

Eventually made it to Ulsan - narrowly missing a collsion in the Singapore Strait when the engine failed - in time for New Year (not a very happy one).

Eventually started to discharge on the 5th January having spent a week building one servicable pump from the four in the pump room and on day one - deep in pumproom - covered from head to foot in oil & gunge got a shout from the 'old man' asking if I wanted to go home as there was a relief second mate arrived from Hong Kong. Did I ever??

Whilst signing off David asked if I wanted to transfer from Glasgow to DSM HongKong - declined and left David to his writs & lawyers. I still often wonder whether he survived.(Smoke)

PollY Anna
16th November 2007, 18:13
I am sure one of you Denholm Guys will be able to inform me ?? did the Naess Endeavour become the Burma Endeavour mentioned on this site. If so when did she change/or sold. She was still Managed by Denholms?

Regards Ron

Gulpers
16th November 2007, 21:55
Hi Ron,

No, they were different ships.

Naess Endeavour 1960
48,455 Dwt
Renamed Burmah Cameo 1974
Broken up 1977

Burmah Endeavour 1977
457,841 Dwt
Renamed Stena Queen 1988
Renamed Folk I 2002
Broken up 2003

Cheers. (Thumb)

R904444
16th November 2007, 23:17
Hi,

I joined her at San Francisco July 1974 as J/E.

We discharged at a place called Martinez and then tank cleaned in the Pacific prior to going to Portland Oregon to prepare the tanks for loading a GRAIN cargo for Inchon, South Korea. At first when this news was heard it was thought of as a wind up but it actually happened - a grain cargo in a straight tanker!

We spent three weeks there buoyed up with portable diesel driven vacuators discharging into barges. This was when the oil market collapsed and cargoes were hard to come by.

Then loaded at Kharg Island for Tranmere then Bantry Bay to Tranmere. After this loaded at Bonny SBM for Ponce Puerto Rico where I was relieved.

It was here that Burmah had money problems and we could not get subs from the agent and were stuck in a hotel for a week with no money and 2 beers at each meal. The ship went from there to lay up somewhere in Greece along with the Burmah Zircon ex Naess Sovereign and Burmah Jet ex Naess Champion.

Captain for part of this trip was Alec McGregor, other names on board I remember are SD Donnely C/E, Tommy ? 2/E who was a regular on the ship, Colin ? from Banchory who died in an accident at home a few years later.
Andy Mc Crindle D/App, & Jeremy ? from Edinburgh E/App.

Any other SN members remember this trip and who else was onboard?

Andy

randcmackenzie
17th November 2007, 00:08
Hi,

I joined her at San Francisco July 1974 as J/E.

Captain for part of this trip was Alec McGregor, other names on board I remember are SD Donnely C/E, Tommy ? 2/E who was a regular on the ship, Colin ? from Banchory who died in an accident at home a few years later.
Andy Mc Crindle D/App, & Jeremy ? from Edinburgh E/App.

Alex Macgregor passed away some years ago, his son David MacGregor was also tragically killed on a lifeboat jolly ashore in Indonesia.

The Tommy was possibly Tommy Wilson, and the Colin would be Colin Ross.

Can't help with the others.

muldonaich
17th November 2007, 01:12
Alex Macgregor passed away some years ago, his son David MacGregor was also tragically killed on a lifeboat jolly ashore in Indonesia.

The Tommy was possibly Tommy Wilson, and the Colin would be Colin Ross.

Can't help with the others.alec macgregor was old man on the warwick fort when i was on her a gentleman regards kevin.

PollY Anna
17th November 2007, 18:40
Thanks Gulpers. Did Denholm still manage the Burma Cameo sorry another ?

As to the Grain R904444 I know when she was the Naess Endeavor she carried grain. So I don't think it was something new to the old girl.

Regards Ron

Gulpers
17th November 2007, 19:44
Ron,

Yes, Burmah Cameo remained under Denholm Management. (Thumb)

PollY Anna
18th November 2007, 02:54
Thanks Ray

Regards Ron

Argyll
18th November 2007, 15:55
hullo dowling,
I can certainly concur with your remarks of E.Warman having had the misfotune to sai with him for 4 weary months ,as for murdo I was with him last week on the Hebridean Isles he gets called back from time to time as extra eng mainly for drydock runs, Hows your old man,
Argyll

muldonaich
18th November 2007, 18:52
hullo dowling,
I can certainly concur with your remarks of E.Warman having had the misfotune to sai with him for 4 weary months ,as for murdo I was with him last week on the Hebridean Isles he gets called back from time to time as extra eng mainly for drydock runs, Hows your old man,
Argyll
come on argyll poor ernie was not that bad isailed with him for seven months he did not bother me i did not bother him for all the pissups in the crew bar he never logged anyone plenty of warnings and bollokings nothing else ive sailed with a lot worse but wont mention any names regards to all kev.

dowling
18th November 2007, 21:26
hullo dowling,
Argyll

hullo argyll,old archie still hanging in there but only just.took a bad turn at the rememberence service last sunday,think he realised he spent a quid on a poppy.murdo is a caracter,get stuck with him in the control room and the night watch is almost over.

randcmackenzie
18th November 2007, 22:51
I'm with Kevin, though I only relieved him 3 times, and he certainly had some foibles, he was conscientious, diligent and sober.

I don't think these forums are for settling old scores, or venting grudges over 40 years old in some cases. Nostalgia is remembering the good bits, and forgetting the bad after all.

And, if you can't say anything good about somebody, then better to say nothing at all.

Regards to all.

randcmackenzie
18th November 2007, 23:04
Remembered Ships.

They may be added elsewhere, but the following were also Denholm managed:

Bangkok/Siam - French 'I' class shell tankers, built 1955 as 35,000 tonners, jumboised to 60,000 in 1965.

Malta Cross - a ro-ro/lo-lo, probably Denholm's smallest ever ship.

The Naess ships before Anglo Nordic:

Naess Clansman, ex Snestad, tanker,
Naess Spirit/Naess Pride, tankers,
Naess Scotsman, B/B chartered to RFA and lost by them as Ennerdale.
Sylvan Arrow - tanker,

Burmpac Bahamas,
Yellow Fin,
Blue Fin.

The above 3 were Italian built VLCC sisters, and disasters every one.

Then Nordic Spirit and Nordic Pride, Mitsubishi built 80,000 tonners.

The Denholm McLay Mishnish and Moidart.

There may be more to follow if the memory banks open up.

muldonaich
19th November 2007, 10:49
Remembered Ships.

They may be added elsewhere, but the following were also Denholm managed:

Bangkok/Siam - French 'I' class shell tankers, built 1955 as 35,000 tonners, jumboised to 60,000 in 1965.

Malta Cross - a ro-ro/lo-lo, probably Denholm's smallest ever ship.

The Naess ships before Anglo Nordic:

Naess Clansman, ex Snestad, tanker,
Naess Spirit/Naess Pride, tankers,
Naess Scotsman, B/B chartered to RFA and lost by them as Ennerdale.
Sylvan Arrow - tanker,

Burmpac Bahamas,
Yellow Fin,
Blue Fin.

The above 3 were Italian built VLCC sisters, and disasters every one.

Then Nordic Spirit and Nordic Pride, Mitsubishi built 80,000 tonners.

The Denholm McLay Mishnish and Moidart.

There may be more to follow if the memory banks open up.and mingarry roddy

muldonaich
19th November 2007, 13:43
anybody know where jim hunter from carrickfergus went he was mate on the duncraig when i was there i think he ended up master kev.

Alan G
1st December 2007, 08:12
My goodness what a great site, what a magical thing this internet is, my name Is Alan Godfrey, it might have been Alan Cohen 30 years ago, my Mum in her wisdom changed it by deed poll, when the old man left her, so I might be known as that.
I was a Galley Boy and an a/s with Denholms, I was originally on the Surrey Trader, when Denholms took over in about 1969, we paid off in New Orleans, what a great time, as we had about 3 weeks larging it up in the Rue Royale Hotel, before they decided what to do with us, They chartered a Caledonian Airways, Bristol Britannia prop plane, and it really brought some attention at New Orleans Airport, The Yanks had never seen a Scottish one before, it had a huge rampant Lion on its tail. I recall the Stewdereses in Tartan Kilts, and huge seats we had to sit in, they even tucked us up with Tartan rugs, it stop everywhere to refuel, Oklahoma, Gander, and Shannon, and then on to Prestwick.

I then got a job with Denholms Management, My first ship was the Hopepark, it was owned by Pack & Kahn and was a huge Tanker, about 126.000 tons, it was always in trouble, there was a fire in the Persian Gulf, when a fuel pipe broke and leaked onto some lagging, we put it out but had to stay outside the accommodation as it was to hot to go inside, then in Rotterdam, when we where alongside, one of the Generators caught on fire, I remember the Fire Engine coming up the quay and not being able to reach the Engine Room, because she was to big in the berth, and the wrong way round, she also lost her anchor in a storm on a trip around the Cape, and we had to go into Simons town S.A, but worst of all, was an accident that took the life of one of the engine room crew, they where Brothers called Andy & Sandy I think it was Gray, it was at Kharg Island, and one brothers undone a Super Heated steam Valve, and it was still live, he received awful burns, we got ice from everywhere on the ship, and packed it around him, blow me his brother went and done the same thing, a few hours later, but we had no ice left, one of the junior Engineers I beleive got into serious trouble over it, does anyone recall this? as I was a lowly a/s I did not remember too many officers names, after the Hopepark I stayed with J&J just commissioning the Ships, we used to fly out to them for about a month, storing them etc, and trials and then to sea.

After Hopepark, I went out to Split, and Joined Trollpark, I think the Master there was a Welshman called Ewan Davies, he had his wife on board as well, I took him a cup of tea first morning at sea, and he had the deckhead down trying to retreive some welding rods the shipyard had left in above his bed, he was swearing alot, as of course they where rolling with the ship, Bloody Communist's did that on purpose, we took mainly cars, I remember lovely Mercedes over to the east coast of the States, and Forest Products back from St. John, New Brunswick, Canada, more deaths there, they had this new contraption that looked like a huge milking machine, with enormous suckers on it upside down, it was capable of lifting, I think it was 8 rolls of newsprint, they only trouble was, no one had thought about the Generator cutting out, which it did, dropping the rolls on some unfortunate longshoremans head, and then on Eurofreighter, I think I will post on the other thread as well, but can anyone remember a crossing, when a huge storm took out all the forrid containers, and huge cases of quarts of J & B's whiskey came sailing through the air and crashing into superstructure, all through the night, in the morning, drunken Scotsmen everywhere, and all the cupbords where full of the stuff, when we got to New Jersey, a lone policeman, guarded it, and it was help yourself time, I then found out about the connections with the company and Hoffa and the longshoremen.

Men I remember Billy Gray, a/b and Eddie Spiteri, an a/b, who I saw about a year ago on tv, when Charleen Spiteri of Texas the pop group, pointed out her old man who had just retired from the sea as Master, a Glasgow boy from Dunbarton, from a Maltese family, bald as a coot, and when I new him, he used to have this real shock of Fuzzy hair, like an Afro, What a joy to catch up witht he old times, I even went last year to meet an old girlfriend of mine in Savannah, where it was one of Eurofrieghters East Coast Ports, and said hallo again after 35 years, that's another story.

I am off to bed but I will give the grey matter a shake to see what comes out.

Alan G

James MacDonald
1st December 2007, 12:34
Hi Alan ,I sailed with Wullie Gray when he was assistant pumpman on the Fort St Cathrine & again when he was 3/Off on the Sealnes.Eddie Spitterie was related to Wullie, & I sailed with Eddie also when on the Pacific Reliance .
I remember the 2 brothers, I think they came from Aberdeenshire but their surnames were Thompson ,I was with them also on the Fort St Cathrine. Maybe our paths crossed when you were in Denholms. I hope you enjoy the site. Im off to Aberdeen tomorrow to do an offshore course.

Skye Sierra
1st December 2007, 13:05
Welcome to the site Alan, a very readable intro - is your password "Jonah" by any chance?

I was also on the Hopepark(as the Stonehaven) and the Troll Park but don't think I sailed with you.

I knew Eddie Spiteri as well, did back to back with him I think on one of the freight ferries but can't remember which one. Heard a rumour that he had emigrated to Thailand at one time - can you shed any light on that one?

Anyway enjoy the site - there are a lot of ex Denholm on board

Regards Roger

Alan G
2nd December 2007, 04:12
Yes you are right I should be called "Jonah" one Tramper I was on called Avisfaith, I am not sure if there is a thread somewhere, I suppose I could start it, as its not really a Denholm post, was like a Humphry Bogart Movie, Chartered to Castro' Cuba during the Missile Crisis in the 60's we where always buzzed by US fighters when we approached Cuba, and she was the only ship The Americans would allow through the Panama Canal because she was British flagged, the Yanks wouldn't store us, just sprayed "Flit" into the ventilation system, and whisked us through, other ports where North Korea, China, Dalian and Shanghai, where the Cultural Revolution was in full swing, the Moa Tse Tung crowd came on board and locked up our cameras, and ripped maps or Taiwan of the wall, then haned out little red books, and lapel pins, anyway on the way back we would get General Cargo in Japan, and on one trip across I take the Old Man his early cup of tea, and he is lying dead as a dodo on the floor, slipped over and banged his head in the night, The Chief Mate, who now assumes the role of Master and used to shake like a leaf from DT's. decides to wrap him up in a Canvas bag and hang him in the Veg room, and he was a large bloke, after a couple of days, he is going off a bit, so they decide they will have a burial at sea, so we get a Hatch Cover, wrap him in the Red Duster, stop the Ship, put the flag at half mast, say a prayer and over he goes, there was a huge amount of trouble over this, as someone could have murdered him, and no one was the wiser, they say stranger things happen at sea, or is it just me?

Anyway, yes it has jogged my memory, Andy and Sandy Thompson, from Aberdeen, Colin McDonald from Lerwick, also come to mind, I think was a Cadet, softly spoken and blonde hair, I can see his face even now, as I was a Cockney, I used to sit and watch a lot of bullying I suppose it was, between different groups of Scotsmen, and others the Geordies, and Scousers got it as well, I remember willie Gray, he was a very large man not in a fat way, but more Sean Connery, all muscles and slim, helping a lad from the Highlands, who had a broken arm, up the gangway by his broken arm, and him screaming his head off. yes I think you are right willie was related to Eddie by Marriage, I think Eddie became his Daughter's road Manager, She is called Sharleen and is lead singer in the pop group Texas, and I think lives in Scotland, should be easy to track down if you approach the Fan club perhaps, and get a message to her for him.

Alan

John Cassels
2nd December 2007, 10:33
Sailed with Spiteri a numver of times but not sure where or when. Have a
feeling Trollpark '71 or '72 was one of them.

JimC
2nd December 2007, 15:00
Hi there!

I'm a deck man myself but am I correct in thinking that the 'Morar' was prefixed by 'EGTV' i.e Exhaust Gas Turbine Vessel' and I think her first chief was Willie McAllister's brother.

JimC
2nd December 2007, 15:04
Yes, you are right! they were tankers and the first new ones amnaged by Denholms. Theyw ere owned by a consortium which I believe included General Montgomery of WW2 fame and memebers of the Connel and denholm families. The 'first one built was the 'Norscot' buuilt 1953/54 by Charles Connel. This was follwed by the 'Scotstoun'. Both vessels carried around 18K tons of cargo.

Dick S
4th December 2007, 17:24
Ref Bill Gray and Eddie Spiterie - sailed with Bill when he was 2/0 on the Troll Park 1 trip only. I believe that Bill's wife was Eddies sister as I remember Bill's son - a great lad really into military models (he'll be 40ish now!!!!!)- talkiing about Uncle Eddie.

Dick

P.S. No offence but who/what are TEXAS?

muldonaich
4th December 2007, 21:02
Ref Bill Gray and Eddie Spiterie - sailed with Bill when he was 2/0 on the Troll Park 1 trip only. I believe that Bill's wife was Eddies sister as I remember Bill's son - a great lad really into military models (he'll be 40ish now!!!!!)- talkiing about Uncle Eddie.

Dick

P.S. No offence but who/what are TEXAS?one of the top bands in the uk kev.

Dick S
4th December 2007, 21:49
fOR 2 YEARS i THOUGHT SPICE GIRLS WAS A COOKERY CLUB!!!!

randcmackenzie
5th December 2007, 00:15
one of the top bands in the uk kev.

They're not a patch on the Vatersay Boys, Kevin.

muldonaich
5th December 2007, 01:18
They're not a patch on the Vatersay Boys, Kevin.
you can say that again roddy best band in the world and world famous to boot kev.

Stephen J. Card
5th December 2007, 01:51
[QUOTE=Dick S;168340]Ref Bill Gray and Eddie Spiterie - sailed with Bill when he was 2/0 on the Troll Park 1 trip only. I believe that Bill's wife was Eddies sister as I remember Bill's son - a great lad really into military models (he'll be 40ish now!!!!!)- talkiing about Uncle Eddie.

Dick

QUOTE]

I had the pleasure of sailing with Eddie on maiden voyage NORDIC CLANSMAN. We were both third mates. Second mate was George Watts. Mate was Ian 'Slop Tank' Donaldson if I remember correctly. Marcus Gunn took the ship out and John Rhodes took over is Ras Tan.

That voyage, from Lisbon to the Gulf and return to Le Havre toook three months. We loaded and discharged the same cargo twice! Loaded at Ras Tannurah and sailed for Le Havre. When we got down towards Madagascar an oil leak from the stern seal caused us to go back to the Gulf where we anchored, discharged about 90% of the cargo into a chartered Norwegian tanker, the RADNEY, enough to get the seal out of the water. Following repairs we re-loaded from the Norwegian. When a final set of ullages were taken to calculate how much we had lost in the RADNEY's tanks as 'unpumpage' we foud we were almost 10,000 tons MORE than what we started with!!!!! It was discovered that the mate on RADNEY discharged his vessel and kept her on an even keel. When he lost suction he open up his sea suctions and pumped away until he guessed we were almost full!

Stephen

Alan G
5th December 2007, 02:13
Here's a link for you, bet you didn't know, he had a famous daughter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharleen_Spiteri

and Heres an extract

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Sharleen Eugene Spiteri (born 7 November 1967 in Glasgow) is a Scottish singer. She fronts the band Texas.

Contents [hide]
1 Biography
1.1 Musical career
1.2 Film
2 Lesbian fan base
3 Personal life
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Biography
Spiteri was born in Glasgow to father Eddie. She attended a school in Noble Heart called St Marcia's Academy for gifted girls.violin-playing merchant seaman of Maltese descent and mother Vilma, a singer of German/Irish roots. When she was young the family moved from the Glaswegian suburbs to nearby Balloch, Dumbartonshire, close to the banks of Loch Lomond. At school her nickname was ‘Spit the Dog’, after the gobbing mutt on the TV show Tiswas[1].

[edit] Musical career
Spiteri's musical influences range from The Clash (the main reason she plays a black Fender Telecaster) to Blondie to Marvin Gaye and Prince. She is also a dedicated Diana Ross fan.

She co-founded the band Texas while still a hairdresser in Glasgow at the Irvine Rusk salon.

Several actors have appeared in Texas videos: "In Demand" featured Alan Rickman dancing the tango with Spiteri, "I'll See It Through" featured French actor Jean Reno and "Getaway" had James Purefoy courting Spiteri. The video for "Summer Son" was banned from daytime MTV (Europe), as well as the BBC's Top of the Pops, because of Spiteri's scenes in a bed in a bedroom overlooking a beach, despite being fully clothed[citation needed].

Spiteri supported German Industrial metal band Rammstein by supplying guest vocals in their ballad "Stirb Nicht Vor Mir (Don't Die Before I Do)" on their album Rosenrot (2005). She also sang backing vocals on the Gun albums Taking On The World and Gallus from 1989 and 1992. She is the cousin of Gun singer Mark Rankin.

Spiteri started the successful Near Back management company in Scotland.

[edit] Film
Spiteri landed the part of a detective opposite Edward Furlong in the thriller Three Blind Mice[2], but backed out due to pregnancy. She was also cast in Moulin Rouge! starring Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor, but she told Jonathan Ross on his show on 4 November 2005 that she declined because she did not want to move to Australia for a year.

I must admit I thought it was the Asialiner I sailed with them on but I think it might be the Trollpark, gret blokes anyway, and can just about remember our runs ashore as a blur. Should I am post on the Troll park thread, or the asialiner thread, or keep it all on here the Denholm thread, I found my Crewmans landing permit, for both ships, and I am not sure what ports went to,
Asaisliner is New Jersey, and what did she do after that, and Trollpark is Savannah and Jacksonville, now I remember being stuck somewhere, and on the back I have written "Remember October during the strike Trollpark Grain Berth" can any one through some light on it it was Feb 12 1971, see thumbnails, anyone remember me?

Alan

Dick S
5th December 2007, 22:48
You had 2 3/0s on the Clamsman?! only time I sailed with 2 3/os was on the chemy boats

Dick

Stephen J. Card
8th December 2007, 07:18
You had 2 3/0s on the Clamsman?! only time I sailed with 2 3/os was on the chemy boats

Dick

Dick,

Yes, two Thirds... just for that maiden voyage though. Something about the Ch. Off on daywork and having much to do!

The only other time I sailed with two Thirds was on EUROLINER in '72. I was third with 'The Reverend'... big Jim Paisley. I had the 8-12 and Jim did 4-8 with the mate.... so that the mate could get some extra work done. If something was 'amis' on the bridge Jim would freak out the Old Man with a very loud, "Ah! It's fu*k all in the big ships, Cap'n!"

EUROLINER and NORDIC CLANSMAN were definitely not two of my favourite ship, but they were good times with good shipmates.

Stephen

trotterdotpom
8th December 2007, 12:21
Stephen, Big Jim Paisley, a blast from the past! I sailed with him when he was a cadet on Industria. Whenever anyone asked where he was from and Scotland would have been close enough, he'd say: "Inchinnan" and get a lot of blank stares. You may be interested to know that he now lives in Singapore and is buying and selling those "big ships".

You've just reminded me I'm supposed to be sending him some photos.

John T.

muldonaich
8th December 2007, 13:11
Stephen, Big Jim Paisley, a blast from the past! I sailed with him when he was a cadet on Industria. Whenever anyone asked where he was from and Scotland would have been close enough, he'd say: "Inchinnan" and get a lot of blank stares. You may be interested to know that he now lives in Singapore and is buying and selling those "big ships".

John T.he was a bloody good mate i sailed with him i sailed with him on the box boats kev.

Derringham
8th December 2007, 15:09
To add to the J & J Denholm thread: I was Third Mate on the Lylepark, built in Sunderland in 1951, from June 1955 to August 1956. We went to Aussie and NZ via Panama to keep their farmers supplied with phosphate fertiliser which we loaded in bulk in Nauru in six hours. The trips were long and boring (12 knots max) 4,800 miles round trips but long stays in Queensland, courtesy of the wharfies' unions, were like being on holiday! Grub was lousy, thanks to the Chief Steward, but generally happy days, long gone.
Derringham

JimC
10th December 2007, 17:36
Hi there!

Hres' a few images which might bring memories. I've got quite a few and since I'm not too flashy with this technology - you'll forgive me for sending in bits (no pun intended). THis is the Broompark on her maiden voyage in 1960.

Jim C.

Stephen J. Card
10th December 2007, 21:44

John T.

John,

Do you have any contact information for Jim? I'm passing through Singapore in March on the SAGA ROSE.

Thanks,

Stephen

JimC
13th December 2007, 17:48
Sorry! 'Ormsary' was second ore carrier built for denholms in 1952. First one was the 'Gleddoch'. Also these were the first adventure by Denholms out of the tramp ship business.

JimC
13th December 2007, 18:10
Sorry guys.. problem is, like many families; when an older member dies it is the practice to name another after him or in this case 'her'. The first 'Scotstoun' was indeed a tanker. As I think I mentioned earlier; she was sister ship to the 'Norscot' which I was on in 1953. They were the first new tankers built for a denholm consortium and . like the 'Ormsary' and 'Gleddoch', built a year earlier - a break-out by the Company from the previous tramp ship trading. I have posted a photograph of the ' Scotstoun' elsewhere. The Company broke the mould with these four ships. Crew accommodation was way-ahead of what other companies were offering and all of them were a pleasure to sail in. The two ore carries had tripple expansion steam engines and the tankers had Doxford motor engines.

Jim C.

muldonaich
13th December 2007, 18:30
Sorry guys.. problem is, like many families; when an older member dies it is the practice to name another after him or in this case 'her'. The first 'Scotstoun' was indeed a tanker. As I think I mentioned earlier; she was sister ship to the 'Norscot' which I was on in 1953. They were the first new tankers built for a denholm consortium and . like the 'Ormsary' and 'Gleddoch', built a year earlier - a break-out by the Company from the previous tramp ship trading. I have posted a photograph of the ' Scotstoun' elsewhere. The Company broke the mould with these four ships. Crew accommodation was way-ahead of what other companies were offering and all of them were a pleasure to sail in. The two ore carries had tripple expansion steam engines and the tankers had Doxford motor engines.

Jim C.having sailed on gleddoch with captains furnaux--johnston and allan i would agree with you jim good food good accom and great crowd regards kev.

JimC
13th December 2007, 19:06
Don't remember Allan but certainly Furneax and most deffinitely Capt. James */".:+* ing Johnston.. I was 2nd M with him in the 'Broompark' up the Seaway when she ran aground..and aground...and aground... etc. What he ahd a broblem with was the unaccustomed traffic separation systems and US buoyage systems in use there. Hence one-way street- encounters were hair raising to say the least. never did like his wee demonstartions of his mathematical abilities. Is your memory stirring?
PS If he's still with us: 'if the shoe fits!'

Jim

John Cassels
13th December 2007, 20:16
having sailed on gleddoch with captains furnaux--johnston and allan i would agree with you jim good food good accom and great crowd regards kev.

Kevin , you don't mean "Granny "Allan from Millport , do you ?.

muldonaich
13th December 2007, 23:48
Kevin , you don't mean "Granny "Allan from Millport , do you ?.yes john the one and only there could not be another one sailed with him about five times regards kev i know what jim means about capt jojnston every second word out of his mouth was the f word even when his wife a school teacher was on board.

John Cassels
17th December 2007, 09:00
Just got my annual xmas card from Capt.Jock McVicar. He tells me that
Capt.Lenny Bell passed away last November 2006.

Also that , for those who may remember , Jimmy Baird of stores dept.
in the '70's and '80's passed away two weeks ago.

xdenholm
17th December 2007, 09:49
Just got my annual xmas card from Capt.Jock McVicar. He tells me that
Capt.Lenny Bell passed away last November 2006.

Also that , for those who may remember , Jimmy Baird of stores dept.
in the '70's and '80's passed away two weeks ago.

sorry to hear about lenny bell JC, he must have only been in his late sixtys? correct me if i,m wrong as i,m sure you will. i posted a picture on here with lenny in it .he taught me a few thinks many years ago even though i was engineering,i remember his wife and young daughters aboard,they must have been about 7or 8 at the time ,whom kept pulling my then long hair ,every time i sat down in the smokeroom, they use to sneek up and ambush me and run away giggling but lenny i remember well,i remember a party in LA onboard, coming off daywork washed and going into the bar and lenny came right over to me and said go chat those office girls up,as in ordered to do so, i was quiverring(Jester) but all worked out in the end.i also remember up on the bridge comming into limon or somewhere and the pilot was taking the ship in to fast and lenny, shouted i have the bridge pilot and slowed the ship down and turned her in a sixpence before she ran aground,i remember thinking hewas excellent capt the way he handled that but that was lenny.

Gulpers
17th December 2007, 13:51
John,

Sorry to hear about Lenny - sailed with him as mate on Erskine Bridge. (Thumb)

John Cassels
17th December 2007, 20:23
John,

Sorry to hear about Lenny - sailed with him as mate on Erskine Bridge. (Thumb)

I must have joined just as you left ( Rotterdam late 1973 ) . Had just got
Masters and joined as 2nd.mate with the intention of relieving Lenny as
Mate when his tour was up.

Still remember Lenny coming on the PA system when we were all at dinner
to announce the clock shift. Always used to announce himself by first sending
out " .._. .._ " . Even the old man - Harpic Rose - never cottoned on.

randcmackenzie
17th December 2007, 23:39
Sorry to hear about Lenny, I never sailed with him, but our paths crossed several times. He deserved a longer retirement than that - anyone know what happened to him?

John Cassels
18th December 2007, 09:07
Dunno Roddy , been asked the same question a couple of times since my post.
Will ask wee Jock if he has any more details.

randcmackenzie
18th December 2007, 22:17
Thanks John.

Looking on the bright side, I've just had a PM from Charlie Stephen to say he and Matty are keeping fine.

Most impressive Christmas Dinner show I ever saw was presented by himself and his merry men on Al Dhafrah.

Grand to have a piper for New Year's day too.

By coincedence, I had a junior engineer, from Greenock I think, who was also a very fine piper, but I can't remember what ship.

John Cassels
19th December 2007, 09:03
When I saw Charlie's name , the bells of distant memories started ringing but
for the life of me can't remember when or where I sailed with him.

Talking about pipers , the one I remember best was Norman Scott who was
supercargo for Scanscot round the BC coast in the '70's.
Never come across anyone who could get so pissed and still blow the bags
as well as he could . Talk about the miracle of the human body !!!!!!!.

William MacColl
13th January 2008, 22:57
Ref the tanker 'Hopepark', she was not an ex Esso tanker. Owned by Pak and Khan,who were originally Russian Jews, they made their fortune in the North American fur trade. With this wealth, they started buying ships 'Hopepark', built in Bremen was their first new ship and was originally meant to be under the Greek flag. However,during the build they discovered that to go under the Greek flag there would have to be 50% Greek money in the ship. This was not the case so Denholms were chosen to manage the vessel. I stood by the vessel in Bremen as Ch.Off with Willie Coutts as 2nd Mate and John Gatherer as 3rd Mate. Built on an Esso design, se had a speed of 17.2 loaded and 18.5 in ballast. Initially operated UK/Cont/Persian Gulf until taken over by young Michael Naess (son of Erling D. Naess) and put on charter on the Israel run

muldonaich
13th January 2008, 23:05
Ref the tanker 'Hopepark', she was not an ex Esso tanker. Owned by Pak and Khan,who were originally Russian Jews, they made their fortune in the North American fur trade. With this wealth, they started buying ships 'Hopepark', built in Bremen was their first new ship and was originally meant to be under the Greek flag. However,during the build they discovered that to go under the Greek flag there would have to be 50% Greek money in the ship. This was not the case so Denholms were chosen to manage the vessel. I stood by the vessel in Bremen as Ch.Off with Willie Coutts as 2nd Mate and John Gatherer as 3rd Mate. Built on an Esso design, se had a speed of 17.2 loaded and 18.5 in ballast. Initially operated UK/Cont/Persian Gulf until taken over by young Michael Naess (son of Erling D. Naess) and put on charter on the Israel runwas on there with you willie frank botham was old man tizard ch/eng where did you go after hopepark?? best regards kev.

muldonaich
13th January 2008, 23:16
Ref the tanker 'Hopepark', she was not an ex Esso tanker. Owned by Pak and Khan,who were originally Russian Jews, they made their fortune in the North American fur trade. With this wealth, they started buying ships 'Hopepark', built in Bremen was their first new ship and was originally meant to be under the Greek flag. However,during the build they discovered that to go under the Greek flag there would have to be 50% Greek money in the ship. This was not the case so Denholms were chosen to manage the vessel. I stood by the vessel in Bremen as Ch.Off with Willie Coutts as 2nd Mate and John Gatherer as 3rd Mate. Built on an Esso design, se had a speed of 17.2 loaded and 18.5 in ballast. Initially operated UK/Cont/Persian Gulf until taken over by young Michael Naess (son of Erling D. Naess) and put on charter on the Israel runifi remember right she was sister ship to the esso mercia kev.

Alan G
14th January 2008, 02:22
Here's a photo for you of her, what I can remember, not sure if you where there at the same time, in was Septemeber I think 69/70 we lost an Anchor going around the Cape, and this is the ship in Capetown, in fact I think it was Simonstown where she went for repairs, I recall two fires on her, one in the Gulf, when a fuel pipe split due to the bad vibration she suffered, and sprayed the lagging around the Engine, which caught fire, we could not go into the accommadation for 24 hours, and slept on deck, and a pump catching fire in Rotterdam, and the fire tender not being able to reach us, two brothers being hit by super heated steam, one died, Andy and Sandy, someone on the thread told me there there surname, which escapes me at the moment.

And if you watch the film Get Carter, there is a gunfight on the ferry boat on the Tyne, there is a huge Tanker there in the film shot, and its called the Esso Northumbria, and I always thought it was that, but if you look the Columns that hold the Bridge to the deck they are different.

Does anyone recall John Costa on the Trollpark as C.S, if I Remember he was from Barrow in Furness, and of Maltese decent, small wiry chap, nice man, and had his lovely wife with him.

Alan G

Ref the tanker 'Hopepark', she was not an ex Esso tanker. Owned by Pak and Khan,who were originally Russian Jews, they made their fortune in the North American fur trade. With this wealth, they started buying ships 'Hopepark', built in Bremen was their first new ship and was originally meant to be under the Greek flag. However,during the build they discovered that to go under the Greek flag there would have to be 50% Greek money in the ship. This was not the case so Denholms were chosen to manage the vessel. I stood by the vessel in Bremen as Ch.Off with Willie Coutts as 2nd Mate and John Gatherer as 3rd Mate. Built on an Esso design, se had a speed of 17.2 loaded and 18.5 in ballast. Initially operated UK/Cont/Persian Gulf until taken over by young Michael Naess (son of Erling D. Naess) and put on charter on the Israel run

John Cassels
14th January 2008, 09:10
Alan G ; Yes , sailed with John Costa a couple of times one of them also on
the Troll park ( around 1970 I think.)

muldonaich
14th January 2008, 13:01
Here's a photo for you of her, what I can remember, not sure if you where there at the same time, in was Septemeber I think 69/70 we lost an Anchor going around the Cape, and this is the ship in Capetown, in fact I think it was Simonstown where she went for repairs, I recall two fires on her, one in the Gulf, when a fuel pipe split due to the bad vibration she suffered, and sprayed the lagging around the Engine, which caught fire, we could not go into the accommadation for 24 hours, and slept on deck, and a pump catching fire in Rotterdam, and the fire tender not being able to reach us, two brothers being hit by super heated steam, one died, Andy and Sandy, someone on the thread told me there there surname, which escapes me at the moment.

And if you watch the film Get Carter, there is a gunfight on the ferry boat on the Tyne, there is a huge Tanker there in the film shot, and its called the Esso Northumbria, and I always thought it was that, but if you look the Columns that hold the Bridge to the deck they are different.

Does anyone recall John Costa on the Trollpark as C.S, if I Remember he was from Barrow in Furness, and of Maltese decent, small wiry chap, nice man, and had his lovely wife with him.

Alan G
sandy and andy thomson yes john costa was chief steward on her on maiden voyage as well nice guy good feeder

Mike Vanko
21st January 2008, 19:51
Hi
I did my 1st trip to sea as junior engineer on the 'Duncraig' in the late 60's.
What a heap of c--p it was.
We left Wales in ballast for Canada straight into a storm in mid atlantic which knocked hell out of the ship.
As I can remember it was the 4th engineers' job to hit the main engine 'Aspinall' ? governor with a big hammer every time the prop came out the water (as you can guess the governor was not working too well)
We arrived in Canada with the engineroom full of smoke as one of the pistons' top set of rings were sh----d (Doxford)
We arrived at night and all 'turned to' to fix the thing, then sailed the next morning (loaded) back for Wales.
I decided that a career in Denholms was not for me and handed in my 72 hours notice which I (and another junior) was rewarded for by doing field days (every day) replacing the main engine broken holding down bolts as we chugged back across the Atlantic.
My next trip was on the 'Bengloe' and as we arrived in Middlesburgh there was the Duncraig tied up having just failed her boiler survey.
I went aboard to talk to the guys and was asked if I would like to come back ! Happy Days(Cloud)

William MacColl
29th January 2008, 18:41
Hi Kev,
Left the Hopepark in March 69. The next was the Warwick Fort, Spey Bridge, Avon Bridge, Eden Bridge and Silver Bridge. Left Denholms in Nov 73,decided offshore had a better leave pattern,so after six months in Brazil I returned to the North Sea for the next 23 years. Thought about retiring but then decided to wind down slowly so spent the next 3 years in the Persian Gulf - a luxury compared to the previous 23. How about you.

ARRANMAN35
29th January 2008, 20:19
Hi Kev,
Left the Hopepark in March 69. The next was the Warwick Fort, Spey Bridge, Avon Bridge, Eden Bridge and Silver Bridge. Left Denholms in Nov 73,decided offshore had a better leave pattern,so after six months in Brazil I returned to the North Sea for the next 23 years. Thought about retiring but then decided to wind down slowly so spent the next 3 years in the Persian Gulf - a luxury compared to the previous 23. How about you.

Hi William,
Were you the senior app. on the Norscot in 1959

I was 4/E on her for the whole trip.
Archie

muldonaich
1st February 2008, 20:31
Hi Kev,
Left the Hopepark in March 69. The next was the Warwick Fort, Spey Bridge, Avon Bridge, Eden Bridge and Silver Bridge. Left Denholms in Nov 73,decided offshore had a better leave pattern,so after six months in Brazil I returned to the North Sea for the next 23 years. Thought about retiring but then decided to wind down slowly so spent the next 3 years in the Persian Gulf - a luxury compared to the previous 23. How about you.left hopepark clarkeden again then the warwick fort what a bloody nightmare running between jebel dana and some pipline in japan never got ashore in all the months we were on her but have to say she was a real happy ship old men george mayne ed magregor george hay ch/off allan millar ch/eng english guy was 2nd eng great guy john mulgrew ch/stwd j rocke nutter but great cook left denholms dec 84 with ill health worse luck but still working due to retire in 2009 looking forward to it spend more time with the grand kids i hope you are enjoying the site best regards kevin. ps i never sailed in all the years with anybody that was on hopepark when i was there kev.

Stephen J. Card
4th February 2008, 13:31
warwick fort what a bloody nightmare running between jebel dana and some pipline in japan never got ashore in all the months we were on her but have to say she was a real happy ship old men george mayne ed magregor george hay ch/off allan millar ch/eng .

In September 1971 we were bound from Jebal Dhanna to Japan for discharge on what was to be her last voyage before her sale. We were watching some old film for the 100th time. Sparkie came in... wide grin and secretly announed that we had had a 'change of orders' and that we were not going to Japan, but instead were to discharge in China! RL Richards arrived a few minutes later, read the marconigram and, after calling Sparkie a few names and telling him that China was a "bloody big place", announced that we were to proceed for discharge in CHIBA!!!!!

From Chiba we tankcleaned and then drydocked in Singapore. Paid off there and spent a few great days in the Ladyhill Hotel... including celebrating my 19th. From Singapore.... flew Bankok, Karachi, Athens, Frankfurt,Amsterdam London, Edinburgh, Glasgow.... next morning up to Training Department for 'orders'... back to the Glasgow airport... Montreal, Thunder Bay...join SCOTSPARK. Total time with no leave ... Jan 1971 to 2nd July 1972 18 months!
Next voyage was lots shorter... only 17 months ... 7 September 1972 to 14th February 1974!

Stephen

xdenholm
4th February 2008, 15:55
Total time with no leave ... Jan 1971 to 2nd July 1972 18 months!
Next voyage was lots shorter... only 17 months ... 7 September 1972 to 14th February 1974!
Hi Stephen, that makes 56 eh,(Jester) with that time its "live long die hard"you still in australia, hope to be there in october seeing someone whom works with princes cruises as 2nd mate.p.s. its sounds as though you would sell those ship magazines from the other thread....whats there face value anyway(Jester) £5.00.atb

Stephen J. Card
5th February 2008, 10:23
Hi Stephen, that makes 56 eh,(Jester) with that time its "live long die hard"you still in australia, hope to be there in october seeing someone whom works with princes cruises as 2nd mate.p.s. its sounds as though you would sell those ship magazines from the other thread....whats there face value anyway(Jester) £5.00.atb

Not yet! Not until October.

I'm away on SAGA RUBY mid September to mid October and back here hopefully about the third week in October. Drop me an e-mail nearer the date. We could share a jar or two.

Those Motor Ships would probably fetch around 2,000 to 2,500 quid today. As I said, good condition and all leather bound. Too useful so I wouldn't sell. In otherwords they are worthless!

Stephen