J & J Denholm

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

dowling
6th February 2008, 14:43
Hi Kev,
Left the Hopepark in March 69. The next was the Warwick Fort, Spey Bridge, Avon Bridge, Eden Bridge and Silver Bridge. Left Denholms in Nov 73,decided offshore had a better leave pattern,so after six months in Brazil I returned to the North Sea for the next 23 years. Thought about retiring but then decided to wind down slowly so spent the next 3 years in the Persian Gulf - a luxury compared to the previous 23. How about you.

surely this cannot be the same captain MacColl of viking supply ships fame,if it is glad to see your still around,yes your name does still come up in conversations.regards-graham dowling[jane viking](Thumb)

Argyll
7th February 2008, 19:14
surely this cannot be the same captain MacColl of viking supply ships fame,if it is glad to see your still around,yes your name does still come up in conversations.regards-graham dowling[jane viking](Thumb)

Are you the willie macColl from Cairnbaan direction. if so I was on the Crinan with you you were 2nd mate i was cadet captain and fell foul of Big J Nicol in Seven Islands.
Argyll.

muldonaich
7th February 2008, 20:30
hi argyll what happened to big jim nicol kev

John Cassels
7th February 2008, 20:36
hi argyll what happened to big jim nicol kev

Did he not become King of Scotland ?.

muldonaich
7th February 2008, 23:25
Did he not become King of Scotland ?.
ask a silly question i suppose kev.

John Cassels
8th February 2008, 10:26
Sorry Kevin , it wasn't a silly question , it was my answer that was silly.
It's getting nearer to April , our big visit "back home "and I'm feelling frisky !.

Harry Grainger
24th February 2008, 22:51
Somebody mentioned a Denholm song about trips to Seven Isles, now that i've found, it can't find the thread, so whoever was interested i hope they find this

Ballad of The Diamond D

Give me that old Diamond D boys,
" " " " " " " ,
" " " " " " " ,
It's good enough for me

You get subs. in every port boys
When you're putting back to sea
You get caviar for breakfast,
and Clode's braun for tea

Give me that etc.,

It's smoko all the morning
and the afternoon is free
We get weekends in Sagunto
Drawing units,you and me.

Give me that old etc.,

Your mail, that's sent in summer
Will be on your Christmas tree.
It's a field day everyday boys,
Tank cleaning when your free

Give me that etc.,

There's a letter from the office
and it's complimentary.
We fail to to understand, sir
why the victualling's two pound three.

Give me that ol;d etc.,

Six trips to Seven Islands boys
Then Narvik for a spree.
There's ninety days of leave boys
to keep your sanity.

Give me that etc.,

There's bags of L.S.D boys
As long as you're at sea

Give me that old etc..

DCMARINE
19th March 2008, 01:43
Thanks Harry,
I was the one looking for it.
Donald

Bert Campbell
30th March 2008, 18:51
baileysan,

Thanks for your contribution.
Wasn't aware of these ships at all. Sound as if they were a bit of a nightmare........ fully understand your sleepless nights.

hello Gulpers bert campbell here checked afew of your messages last night but i cant place you

Dimondd
11th April 2008, 22:16
I sailed with Denholms for quite a few years...
Troll River (first trip 1977)
Conon Forest
Vancouver Forest
Arctic Troll
Troll Park
Euroliner (last four months, took her to Kiel)
Nordic Louisianna
Merchant Principal
Tor Caledonia
A ferry down south went to France !!!!!
Merchant Something (Ferry to Warren Point)
Author
Advisor
A couple of others I cant remember the name of.
Really enjoyed my days deep sea, a lot has changed since then. Now working offshore, at the moment with Cal Dive.
Not met up with many of the lads from deep sea, I do recognise a lot of the names in this thread...JC, Bert Cambell, Pat Croakin, Barra John, Mick Maclaughin, John Corrin, Malcom Thrope, Capt Rose, Lenny Bell, Ginger, Dick Hills, too many to mention.
Now life at sea is just "a job" not a "life" any more, no laughs that we used to have, then there are no bars is it any wonder!!! No social life what so ever. But still working cant complain too much I dont suppose.
Great site by the way.

rob salmon
18th April 2008, 10:55
Gulpers.
I was on Advara plus Loch Lomond Loch Maree,having just joined still navigating site,I was 3rd engineer/reefer at the time Loch lomond was handed over to Salem in malta,I still have one Denholms magazine with Advara on the back page,Lots of good memories of the Loch boats with the exception of the generators,they were very tempremental,Mike pride was 2nd on the Maree when I was there,that was a good voyage,Nelson in NZ springs to mind,plus we had one afternoon in Honolulu on our way down to there from Tokyo.
Rob salmon

John Cassels
25th April 2008, 22:23
For those interested , have posted a photo of "Wee Jock "McVicar in
members faces.
Paid him a visit during our recent trip "home ".

muldonaich
27th April 2008, 00:37
was barra to far away john ???? forget wee jock we had a bottle waiting for you and your better half barra john forgives you brgds kev.

John Cassels
27th April 2008, 10:03
was barra to far away john ???? forget wee jock we had a bottle waiting for you and your better half barra john forgives you brgds kev.

Morning Kevin ,

Sorry about that. We were actually in Greenock/Gourock for 8 days and every single day was fully booked. What with two days of reunions ,
family visits and the wife's obligatory trip to Braehead shopping centre ( two
times) , hardly had time to breath.

Keep the bottle , we'll see each other again - though it might be in the great
shipping office in the sky!.

All the best to BJ.

John

muldonaich
28th April 2008, 00:08
braehead i understand john my wife more or less lives there every ntime we go to glasgow hope to see you before we both kick the bucket john i retire next year so you never know best regards kev.

airds
28th April 2008, 01:23
Braehead? a.k.a 'sore head' .......

John Cassels
28th April 2008, 10:48
Kevin , David. This was our first trip back since 2002 and the first word the
wife said when we crossed the border was .......Braehead.
That's the place where they go to buy a skirt , then decide they need a
jacket to go with the skirt , then it's shoes to go with the jacket ....and the
nightmare continues. Thank goodness we came over with the car !.

Yes , Kevin , you never know. Strange things can happen at our age !!.

RayL
29th April 2008, 18:03
Wouls Naess Denholm ships qualify - or do they perhaps deserve their own separate thread? (I served as 'sparks' on the 'Naess Sovereign' 1965-66).

JimC
29th April 2008, 19:22
Wouls Naess Denholm ships qualify - or do they perhaps deserve their own separate thread? (I served as 'sparks' on the 'Naess Sovereign' 1965-66).
Absolutely Ray...I served my time with Denholms and was on the 'Naess Sovereign' on her maiden voyage and a full year after that.

Jim C.

RayL
3rd May 2008, 10:18
Thanks, Jim. In that case, I suggest the following additions to the list of J & J Denholm ships: Naess Ambassador, Naess Commander, Naess Companion, Naess Endeavour, Naess Sovereign.
I recall that we on Naess Sovereign used to regard Naess Endeavour as our sister ship.
I'm a bit pushed at present, Jim, but one day soon I must contact you so that we can exchange a few memories.
All the best,
Ray

jasmacpm
3rd May 2008, 21:51
Hi,
there was also, the Cast Orca (MV Hector), Cast Otter, Cast Osprey, which became the Cast Shearwater, Merzario Ionia which became the Stena Ionia and the Exxtor 1, which was managed by Denholm Bermuda, if no one has chipped in with them, yet?
Jimmy.

ChasD
3rd May 2008, 22:42

Hi Ray, Must've been just behind you, did a nine month run on Naess Sovereign 1966, great ship, couple of pics may bring back some memories.

jasmacpm
3rd May 2008, 23:34
David ; and the Cast Orca also an OBO.

Cast didn't go bust , only the funding arrangements for the OBO's
didn't go through.

JC
Hi,
just when I made a posting about the Cast Orca, I see your mention of it. Have to say, unless I'm seriously mistaken she was "only" a bulk and container ship, i.e., not an "OBO." She was my first trip as deck cadet.
Regards,
Jimmy.

randcmackenzie
3rd May 2008, 23:58
Hello Jimmy,

If my memory is correct, Cast had two 150,000dwt OBOs on order in Korea at the time of their financial difficulty. One was Cast Bluewhale, which did sail briefly for Cast, and the other was Cast Orca of which Cast never took delivery.

I believe another Conbulker 'Cast Orca' was built later on.

I've no doubt our resident Cast man will set us straight soon enough,

Best Regards,
RMcK.

xdenholm
4th May 2008, 09:14
Thanks, Jim. In that case, I suggest the following additions to the list of J & J Denholm ships: Naess Ambassador, Naess Commander, Naess Companion, Naess Endeavour, Naess Sovereign.
I recall that we on Naess Sovereign used to regard Naess Endeavour as our sister ship.
I'm a bit pushed at present, Jim, but one day soon I must contact you so that we can exchange a few memories.
All the best,
Ray

naess ambassador became nordic conqueror in 74 and cast narwhal in 80 and castor in 83 later being struck in june 86 just south of kharg is. she was definetly a obo having carried both ore and oil on her. she was later towed away to india for breaking 86 due to the damage

JimC
4th May 2008, 19:51
Hi Ray, Must've been just behind you, did a nine month run on Naess Sovereign 1966, great ship, couple of pics may bring back some memories.

Hi Chas,

Did you or any of the other lads sail with a guy named Archie Mccallum?

Jim C.

John Cassels
5th May 2008, 10:04
There were 5 conbulkers built and a 6th.built as a straight bulk carrier( no
container fittings) . This 6th.ship was later fitted with the fittings at the
Neorian yard at Syros island ( I stood by during the conversion as the Cast
rep).

The 5 original conbulkers were ; Cast Caribou , Polarbear, Otter , Muskox and
Husky
Bluewhale and Orca were obo's.

ChasD
5th May 2008, 18:49
Hi Chas,

Jim C.

Hi Jim, Sorry, dont recall that name, but after a memory jog from RayL, managed to dig the skippers name out of the mental fog, Capt G.E. Mayne (George?) ... but its long ago in a universe far, far away !

JimC
5th May 2008, 22:28
Hi Jim, Sorry, dont recall that name, but after a memory jog from RayL, managed to dig the skippers name out of the mental fog, Capt G.E. Mayne (George?) ... but its long ago in a universe far, far away !

Just a chance. Archie took her to the breakers. he is now in command of the latest Scottish Fisheries Protection vessel for any of you who know him

Jim C.

jasmacpm
5th May 2008, 23:43
Hello Jimmy,

If my memory is correct, Cast had two 150,000dwt OBOs on order in Korea at the time of their financial difficulty. One was Cast Bluewhale, which did sail briefly for Cast, and the other was Cast Orca of which Cast never took delivery.

I believe another Conbulker 'Cast Orca' was built later on.

I've no doubt our resident Cast man will set us straight soon enough,

Best Regards,
RMcK.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I never stayed around with Denholms long enough to hear of thse developements. Sometimes I feel it is a bit of a shame when they rename ships, after those that preceded it. Then again, it can also be a deserved and respectful tribute to an earlier vessel.

Would be interested if anyone has pictures, of any of the "Cast Orca's?" Also, anyone know of what became of the Chief Mate around Nov'79? Think his name was Syd?
Cheers,
Jimmy.

Tom McNeill
7th May 2008, 22:29
Champion rather than Companion perhaps?

jasmacpm
5th June 2008, 00:06
Also, have these been mentioned?-
Sir Alexander Glen
Gothia Team
Cast Muskox/Skua/Bear/Caribou/Fulmar
Alexander Dio
Advara
Bern
Al Dhafra
Sir John Hunter
Broland
Sevonia Team
Lantau Team
Asian Forest
(apologies if already quoted)
Jas.

Dougie01
10th June 2008, 14:16
You can also add Beaufort Sea, Cara Sea and Greenland Sea all tankers managed by Denholm's in the 70's and Vancouver Trader (Bulk Carrier). Dougie.

col_53
14th June 2008, 19:19
Hi Everyone,
Sailed on Star Bay in 70's.Noticed someone had said they asked Denholms for pictures of ships they had sailed on. Anyone know their e-mail address? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

billelliot
14th June 2008, 19:44
naess pioneer bulk carrier

John Cassels
14th June 2008, 19:51
naess pioneer bulk carrier

Pioneer has long been mentioned .... sailed on her as 3rd.mate 1968.

Ian M Cameron
25th June 2008, 01:43
Pioneer has long been mentioned .... sailed on her as 3rd.mate 1968.

Hello John, Came across this site while browsing and here I am - a blast from the past. I was on the Naess Pioneer in late '69 '70. Was that where I first met you? I was 2nd cook and baker there at that time. Remember your visit to Skye?

John Cassels
27th June 2008, 09:17
Hello Ian , indeed a blast from the past. Think we sailed a few times together. Remember the saloon steward on the Pioneer ?.
Can remember arriving and leaving Skye ok , but the bit in the middle is still
a blank even after all these years , thanks in no small part to Roddy MacSween.

albatross1923
1st July 2008, 17:08
Found a little more info on the older J&J 'Scotstoun' which is dated August 1956

"Single screw motor tanker was built by Charles Connel & Co Ltd for Falkland Shipowners Ltd, a fully owned subsidiary of the Alscott Shipping Company ltd and is managed by J&J Denholm. She is a sister ship of the Norscot owned by the Norscot Shipping Co and also managed by J&J"

MT SCOTSTOUN
WAS MY FIRST SHIP IN DENHOLMS AFTER LEAVING ANCHOR LINE JOINED HER IN ROTTERDAM AS 2NDENGR CAPT TCORMACK CHENGR
T HUGHES 6/3/57 TO 9/IO/57
SECOND TRIP 19/4/58 TO 19/9/58 CAPT CS TATE CHENG FK MCMILLAN
HOPE THIS WILL BE OF SOME HELP SHE WAS A GOOD SHIP 6CYL DOXFORD
ENGINE BUILT WHERE I SERVED MY TIME BARCLAY CURLES LTD

YOUR ALBATROSS1923

Bigmo
1st July 2008, 17:26
Don't know if your dates 60's to early 80's are set in concrete, one I was on in early 80's was the Al Qasim( ex John Agustus Essberger).Progressing through the 80's there was the following,Pacific Express, EB Carrier,Gulf Atlantic and Tochal (NITC vessel of which we had a few)

Bigmo
1st July 2008, 20:26
Only discovered this site yesterday and have spent ages trolling through it.
John Cassels, did we sail together on Troll River(Maurice Kennedy).
Picking up points on the various listings, George Maguire was sailing on the P&O ferries, Larne/Kairnryan.
Glad to hear Charlie Stephen is still going strong,introduced evening meal to order on the Lousy, Capt.Kinder stopped it.
Jim Paisley took over from me on his first trip Master, I see he gets a mention.
Nordic Conqureor was OO I think, not OBO.
I sailed for a good while on the Cast OBO's, is John Stewart still in Montreal?
I had a happy 20years in DSM.

John Cassels
1st July 2008, 21:35
Maurice , was never on Trollriver only Trollpark. Don't think we ever sailed
together though.
John Stewart was still going strong in 2000 when I left Cast although he
was very dissalusioned and just hoping he would get made redundant.
Haven't heard from him since.
You are remembered by other Cast people - Leon de Bruecker, Bob de Nil
et al.

RayL
30th August 2008, 23:04
A former college lecturer of mine has said that in December 1976 he obliged Redifon/IMR by doing a trip as R/O in "... the Denholm's OBO carrier ' Anglia Team' ", so that's another one for our list. He states that it was around 56,000 tons.

John Cassels
1st September 2008, 10:00
Hi Chas,

Jim C.

Morning Jim,

Must have missed your post of 4th.May.

I sailed with Archie McCallum when he was apprentice. Unfortunatly the
fog of time has so clouded the memory that I cannot remember when or
where. I was Mate at the time so that narrows it down to 7 years !!!!.

JimC
1st September 2008, 13:30
Morning Jim,

Must have missed your post of 4th.May.

I sailed with Archie McCallum when he was apprentice. Unfortunatly the
fog of time has so clouded the memory that I cannot remember when or
where. I was Mate at the time so that narrows it down to 7 years !!!!.

Morning yourself! John.

Archie 'done good' as they say. He is now one of the senior Masters with the Fishery Protection Service. I first met him when he visited Tarbert. I was HM there and he kept (still does) a very nice yacht in the marina.
At that time he had a large, converted fishing boat.
I was having a casual conversation when the subject came round to Denholms. I mentioned I had served on the Naess Sovereign on her maiden voyage. It turned-out that he had served on her on her final one.

Hope this finds you well.

Recently I have been spending some time on a Titanic website. Unforunately it is habit -forming.

Cheers,

Jim.

John Cassels
2nd September 2008, 08:51
Jim , been trying to remember re Archie and think it may possibly have been
Caledonian Forest round about 1978 .

jasmacpm
20th September 2008, 16:03
Hi,
just to say I have posted a picture, or two of photos from the Wellpark, Cast Petrel, Burmah Pearl, in the gallery section, recently, (Members faces), from early 80's, if anyone wishes to have a look?

Regards,

Jimmy.

10th October 2008, 23:16
Hi There

I sailed (for 1 trip) with Denholms on MV Naess Trader and met a 2nd Engineer named Jimmy Campbell. I remember that he came from Renfrew and have been trying to trace him since I moved to Renfrew years ago

Any Information anyone?

Thanks

John Cassels
11th October 2008, 09:10
Hi There

I sailed (for 1 trip) with Denholms on MV Naess Trader and met a 2nd Engineer named Jimmy Campbell. I remember that he came from Renfrew and have been trying to trace him since I moved to Renfrew years ago

Any Information anyone?

Thanks

Sailed with Jimmy many times but that was more than 30 years ago and
unfortunatly have no idea where he now is.

Jim Mclaughlin
15th October 2008, 10:18
Hi Sailed Industria 76/77 First ship
Benhpoe 77/78
Trollpark 78 Last ship

Jim Mclaughlin
15th October 2008, 10:19
Hi Sailed Industria 76/77 First ship
Benhpoe 77/78
Trollpark 78 Last ship

Gulpers
15th October 2008, 13:03
Jim,

Welcome to SN and particularly to the Denholm's Threads.
Have a good look round the site and I'm sure that you will rekindle plenty of happy memories. (Thumb)

Dougie01
30th October 2008, 12:56
To add (maybe?) to your fleet list Ray do I recall, through the fog, the Denholms had management of the Globtik Sun and the Globtik Mercury at one time and the Beafort Sea and Greenland?Sea. I seem to recall some horror stories of the latter two including one where the second and third mates along with the quartermasters had to stand their watches turn about at the emergency steering position, which I believe was on the funnel deck, whilst transitting the North Atlantic in winter. If anyone on site has memories of this it would make interesting reading. (Smoke)
Kev, Skye Sierra is actually on the right site. I found this while looking at previous correspondents. In January 1971, I was on the Denholm managed, Beaufort Sea during our trip from El Palito, Venesuela to New York with heavy fuel for their power stations. Two days out of New York we were caught in a force 10. The Beaufort Sea had midships accommodation with a flying bridge between Midships and the Aft Accommodation.

In the heavy weather the flying bridge took a hammering which destroyed the hydraulic telemotor pipes which allowed steering from the bridge. The Cargo heating pipes were also damaged so there was no heating to the cargo.

Both the Deck and Engine room went on to 6 on / 6 off watches. The Old Man and the Mate were on the Bridge and the 2nd Mate and 3rd Mate were out in the sub zero temperatures steering from the Emergency steering station.

After two days of this we arrived in New York with the cargo solidified in the holds. We were a week with Todds shipyard people renewing pipework then another week with a steam barge alongside getting steam heating into the cargo.

You will probably know a number of the crew who went through this never to be forgotten experience.

Master: Bobby Kinder
Mate: Stuart Hulse
2nd Mate: Dougie Pollock
3rd Mate: Ian Turner

Chief Engineer: Mike Patton
2nd Eng: Ralph Kahn
3rd Eng:
4th Eng: Bob McGowan
Jnr Eng: Jim Boyd
Elect. Malcolm Mort

I think I got all the names correct. You don't usually forget what you were doing for your 21st Birthday.

Hector Connell relieved Dougie Pollock after all the fun but he went on to get his own fun with the boat people.

Happy days.

Hope this puts the record straight.

muldonaich
31st October 2008, 22:06
cant remember any globtik tankers in deholms but i could be wrong i am getting old kev

Harry Grainger
31st October 2008, 23:09
Yes there were two, the Globtic Mercury and I can't remember the other one at the minute. G.Mercury ran from Lake Maricaibo Venezuela to Portland Maine on a Texaco charter and after we half wrecked the Gotaverken engine we limped back to Amsterdam for drydock and to give her back to the Norwegians, spent 11 happy months on her as 4th, all for a purpose to get my sea time in for my 2nd's ticket. Grey matter is working, other one was Globtic Saturn and I think she was even worse than Mercury, and my fellow N.Ireland apprentice from a few years earlier, Roy Bloomer, spent some time on her and I think he had an absolute nightmare. If I'm right J&J took them on as they were a carrot to get the management for the two biggies that Ravi Tikko was building the G.Toyko & G.London but who knows

randcmackenzie
31st October 2008, 23:22
Tikoo was supposed to be building ULCC's in Belfast at that time, if I remember rightly, but found better sponsorship elsewhere.
The superintendents said don't touch them, but others had their eyes on better things.

Are you the gent who was a big railway fan, and went home by rail rather than air whenever possible, or have I got the wrong name?

muldonaich
1st November 2008, 00:52
roddy he comes from ni so he would have to get a ferry home brgds kev lol

muldonaich
8th November 2008, 16:01
it is with deep regret that i have to tell you all that barra john crossed the bar on friday may he rest in peace kevin.

Gulpers
8th November 2008, 16:32
Kevin,

Thank you for sharing this tragic news.
My deepest condolences to John's family.
There will be quite a few SN members who will be saddened by his untimely passing - he was one of life's characters and a true friend to many of us ex-Denholm men.

John Cassels
9th November 2008, 10:38
Kev , sent you PM.

muldonaich
9th November 2008, 16:12
Kev , sent you PM.have passed yours and rays messages to pedro and the family

Gulpers
9th November 2008, 16:37
Thank you very much Kevin. (Thumb)

I'm sure you will have many more messages to pass on once more of the ex-Denholm lads come on-line.

John Graham
11th November 2008, 15:11
it is with deep regret that i have to tell you all that barra john crossed the bar on friday may he rest in peace kevin.

I first met Barra John when I was just 3 years old aboard the Arisaig when she was alongside in Middlesbourough. I also sailed with him numerous times on the Seatrain container ships. He was a remarkable character, and a brilliant steward. He could be completely bladdered at midnight, but be up and running around at 5 in the morning. For years the Seatrain ships used to line their bridge wings up against his name, painted on the quayside at Weehawken. He will indeed be missed.

Son of a sailor
11th November 2008, 21:02
Hi all, sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but I thought I'd just let anybody who might have sailed with Bill Roberts know that he died last week.

He worked for Denholm through the 1970s and served as Chief Officer on the Chemical Explorer, Sevonia Team, Scandia Team, Norvegia Team and London Team amongst others.

Gulpers
11th November 2008, 21:37
Son of a sailor,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
Sorry your first post couldn't have been of a more lighthearted nature, however thank you for notifying us of Bill's death.
I didn't know him, but I am sure some of our ex-Denholm members will remember him.
Sincere condolences to Bill's family.

Redhead6
11th November 2008, 21:39
I did various trips on both the Commander & Clansman repairing and setting up the Bailey Boiler Controls. Usually the trip consisted of joining in Las Palmas and working on route to the discharge port, by which time all would be on Auto.

Some dry mouth experiences especially tripping the boilers and the ensuing blackout.

Good evenings in the officers bar is a nice memory.

Redhead

John Cassels
12th November 2008, 09:44
Hi all, sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but I thought I'd just let anybody who might have sailed with Bill Roberts know that he died last week.

He worked for Denholm through the 1970s and served as Chief Officer on the Chemical Explorer, Sevonia Team, Scandia Team, Norvegia Team and London Team amongst others.

Sorry to hear that , please pass my condolences on.

Do you know if his first trip with Denholms was on the Baknes 1972 ?.

Varley
13th November 2008, 17:52
Sorry to hear of Barra John.

Son of a sailor
13th November 2008, 18:19
Sorry to hear that , please pass my condolences on.

Do you know if his first trip with Denholms was on the Baknes 1972 ?.

No, in 1972 he was on the Lincolnshire and the Avon Bridge.

colinmac
11th December 2008, 22:56
John

I can assure you, I got no pleasure from saying what I believe had to be clarified.

I believe from DJC that another ex DSM is doing very well for himself. Were you in the same Crinan intake as Graham Marshall. Send me a PM and I will give you some more info.

Best Regards

Roddy

Roddy I'm trying to trace a Roddy MacSween -2nd mate on the Kyoto Forest early 1970. If thats you I am Colin Macdonald from Shetland, who also sailed with Cpt Macgregor on the Dunkyle. My purpose for writing in to enquiry if Cpt Macgregor and Mrs Macgregor still live in the glasgow area. Hope my detective work has done the trick? If you are a different Roddy renewed apologies Colin

John Cassels
12th December 2008, 10:40
Roddy I'm trying to trace a Roddy MacSween -2nd mate on the Kyoto Forest early 1970. If thats you I am Colin Macdonald from Shetland, who also sailed with Cpt Macgregor on the Dunkyle. My purpose for writing in to enquiry if Cpt Macgregor and Mrs Macgregor still live in the glasgow area. Hope my detective work has done the trick? If you are a different Roddy renewed apologies Colin

2nd.mate in 1970 ; sounds like the same Roddy MacSween that I know.
He is a member of SN but has not been on line for many months.
Last I heard from him , E.D and Mrs MacGregor still lived near Glasgow.
Think I still have Roddy's e-mail adress somewhere. PM me if you require it.

colinmac
12th December 2008, 22:44
2nd.mate in 1970 ; sounds like the same Roddy MacSween that I know.
He is a member of SN but has not been on line for many months.
Last I heard from him , E.D and Mrs MacGregor still lived near Glasgow.
Think I still have Roddy's e-mail adress somewhere. PM me if you require it.

Thanks John. I was invited to have tea with Captn and Mrs Macgregor in the early 70's. Lost touch with them, but now I visit Glasgow regularly to see my daughter -she's a graduate from glasgow school of art and has a studio up there. My email address is *************** Renewed thanks colin

Colin, in line with Site policy, I have removed your email address from public view to avoid you receiving unsolicited messages. John, or anyone else for that matter, can send you a PM and you can then exchange details if you wish. (Thumb) Ray

colinmac
12th December 2008, 23:42
Thanks John. I was invited to have tea with Captn and Mrs Macgregor in the early 70's. Lost touch with them, but now I visit Glasgow regularly to see my daughter -she's a graduate from glasgow school of art and has a studio up there. My email address is *************** Renewed thanks colin

Colin, in line with Site policy, I have removed your email address from public view to avoid you receiving unsolicited messages. John, or anyone else for that matter, can send you a PM and you can then exchange details if you wish. (Thumb) Ray

Ray, new to this game.... sorry Colin

Gulpers
13th December 2008, 04:47
Hi Colin,

It's no problem, as I said, it's really for your own protection. (Thumb)
Get stuck in and enjoy your time on SN. There are plenty of us ex-Denholm guys on here. (==D)

Angus Murray
18th December 2008, 03:52
Colin
Just received a Christmas card from ED & Mrs Macgregor - still living in Milngavie near Glasgow - sailed with him on the Naess Endeavour and Dunadd.
Angus

Ray, new to this game.... sorry Colin

John Cassels
18th December 2008, 10:07
Colin
Just received a Christmas card from ED & Mrs Macgregor - still living in Milngavie near Glasgow - sailed with him on the Naess Endeavour and Dunadd.
Angus

Good to hear that Angus.

JimC
18th December 2008, 12:35
Colin
Angus

Hi Angus!

Saw your post about Capt. McGregor. I sailed with him as apprentice on (I think) the 'Dunadd' when she was new from out from Lithgows. I still have a pic he took of me outside the radio room.

That was (again I think) th maiden voyage when the spare prop. broke loose in the dry cargo hold, all the light fittings fell out of the deck head and we damaged the bow plating and had to go into St. Johns Newfoundland for repairs. Nearly didn't make it - force 11, fog and icebergs all at the same time.
If you are talking to him - please give him my regards.

Incidentally: do you know Ian Plater in the Clyde Coast Guard? he was moved from Tarbert to Greenock and I lost touch just over two years ago.

JimC.

Malky Glaister
20th December 2008, 12:02
Hi Harry, Other Globtick ship was the SUN known as the fun for obvious reasons. I remember Roy Bloomer and Eugene Morgan from Belfast college 1965 intake. We al met at Springburn tech.

I was interested in rail travel, still am, and would always prefer to go home by ferry and train whenever the company allowed,

Really enjoying this website

Malky Glaister
20th December 2008, 12:11
Hi Rehead,

Those Bailey boards were something else and we all got very good playing them.
Dirty control air was the problem. Remember the brilliantly sited compressor between the boilers. Remember the wee fella from Wier valves, Jimmy I think, and another chap from Sheffield fixing the other controls. Save us for a few short weeks flame out was the cry. Busiest bars in the compay by a long way I believe.
I was third doing steam time and once became the diesel engineer when the TA rotor failed on Clansman, taken aside by the Chief to tell me I was a VIP!

Taffy Billinghurst
28th December 2008, 18:53
Hi Gulpers

As a new lad on the site I am still finding my way around and your mention of the Denholm line bring back memories of sailing on the MV Arisaig. and the TV. Morar back in 1960. From South Wales to North Africa. I can still hear the scream of the turbine on the Morar, and I well remember the heat.

Gulpers
29th December 2008, 05:14
Taffy,

A warm welcome to the site, and particularly the J & J Denholm forum, from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Taffy Billinghurst
29th December 2008, 12:14
Gulpers

Thanks for the welcome, still finding my way around SN. at the moment but look forward to hearing more about the TV Morar and the M V Ariaig

highlander403
31st December 2008, 07:48
Yes there were two, the Globtic Mercury and I can't remember the other one at the minute. G.Mercury ran from Lake Maricaibo Venezuela to Portland Maine on a Texaco charter and after we half wrecked the Gotaverken engine we limped back to Amsterdam for drydock and to give her back to the Norwegians, spent 11 happy months on her as 4th, all for a purpose to get my sea time in for my 2nd's ticket. Grey matter is working, other one was Globtic Saturn and I think she was even worse than Mercury, and my fellow N.Ireland apprentice from a few years earlier, Roy Bloomer, spent some time on her and I think he had an absolute nightmare. If I'm right J&J took them on as they were a carrot to get the management for the two biggies that Ravi Tikko was building the G.Toyko & G.London but who knows

harry sent you a pm. regards scotty

colinmac
31st December 2008, 12:26
Colin
Angus

Angus many thanks for letting me know that both Capt ED and Mrs MacG are still in Milngavie. I'll be up in Glasgow in January to see my eldest daughter,Lucy so will try to see them then.
Really appreciate your help and warm regards and best wishes for 2009

Colin

Angus Murray
31st December 2008, 13:43
Jim
Ian Plater is now based at the Coastguard Training Centre at Highcliffe (Dorset). I believe his title is 'Learning & Development Consultant'
Best wishes for the New Year to all at SN and especially to all those who keep the J & J thread ticking over!
Angus

Hi Angus!

Saw your post about Capt. McGregor. I sailed with him as apprentice on (I think) the 'Dunadd' when she was new from out from Lithgows. I still have a pic he took of me outside the radio room.

That was (again I think) th maiden voyage when the spare prop. broke loose in the dry cargo hold, all the light fittings fell out of the deck head and we damaged the bow plating and had to go into St. Johns Newfoundland for repairs. Nearly didn't make it - force 11, fog and icebergs all at the same time.
If you are talking to him - please give him my regards.

Incidentally: do you know Ian Plater in the Clyde Coast Guard? he was moved from Tarbert to Greenock and I lost touch just over two years ago.

JimC.

calmac36
10th January 2009, 23:10
i am from greenock and sailed with denholms as did my father.was on the wellpark when picked up refugees

randcmackenzie
11th January 2009, 00:01
Are you Calum MacMillans's son? Sailed with Calum 3 times - Industria, Scotstoun and Malta Cross.

Captain Scarface
11th January 2009, 21:39
Gulpers,
add:-
Naess Endeavour (was any ship ever so broken down?), (yes!!! the -) Baknes, Hopepark (later Stonehaven) (forever afire!) Burmah Garnet (Lord save us All!!!)

Angus Murray
12th January 2009, 14:00
Naess Endeavour towed from Genoa to Palermo for drydock due to rudder nearly dropping off. In my 10 months on the Endeavour, this was, as far as i can recall, the only time she ever booke down!
Angus

Gulpers,
add:-
Naess Endeavour (was any ship ever so broken down?), (yes!!! the -) Baknes, Hopepark (later Stonehaven) (forever afire!) Burmah Garnet (Lord save us All!!!)

Charles Stephen
29th January 2009, 21:14
Atlantic Denholm(Ex.Atlantic Rolgo.Norwegian) I joined the Atlantic Denholm 17.04.84 04.10.85 she was taken out of Denholm Mgt and a new company was formed Loch Offshore and she was renamed ."Loch Carron" 10 10 89 company changed again to Farstad UK Ltd and all the vessels were named Far......... 11.09.89 I served on the Loch Grimshader with Farstad UK. My last vessel was Far Sleipner as I retired 28.11.92 The last master I sailed with was Captain John Leisk and strange as it may seem my very first Captains signature is also John Leisk both men Shetlanders, but on enquiring they were not related.

Charlie Stephen

michaelF
29th January 2009, 21:34
Hi Charlie
i served continuously on the grimshader and the sleipner from 10/88 to 5/91

mike

Malky Glaister
30th January 2009, 03:20
Hi Charlie,

Nice to hear of you. I wrote a bit under the John Canon thread about you, all good stuff of course. Louisiana menu and pipes through Birkenhead dock estate all night on an ore carriers focsle. Happy days,

Malky Glaister

Harry Grainger
30th January 2009, 13:31
I know various people have contacted me about AJ and many more on this thread must know him. Well I'm glad to say i saw him recently at a dinner and was in good form and was interested to hear he is still remembered by many in Denholms.
Anyone interested in contacting him, if you email me I will send you his grandson's email address.

ronmac6
4th March 2009, 21:41
Do any of you remember an incident in 1971 involving, I think it was, the "Naess Champion" off Albany, Western Australia?

She was a large (for those days, anyway) crude tanker with a midships bridge, I think she was bound from Geelong, Victoria to probably the Gulf but we came across her completely broken down and dead in the water just south of Albany in a typical SW'ly gale just after daylight in the 4-8 watch one morning. I was C/O of the 5976 grt Australian coastal containership "Kooringa" (Melbourne bound for Fremantle) at the time and recall thinking not all looked well with this big tanker, sitting high in the water and obviously drifting. I can remember calling on VHF and getting no response, even using the aldis lamp with no response and it wasn't until our R/O came on watch at 0800 that he got a very weak signal from the tanker requesting assistance.

To cut a long story short, we went back to her and expended eight rockets trying to get a line aboard her (I remember that we got as far as having a polyprop between us at one stage, I don't recall she made any attempt to get a line to us?) but in the end we stood by her until her Master decided he was out of immediate danger. Even if we'd managed to get a line aboard, I doubt we'd have been able to tow her - didn't ever get exact details of what happened to her in the end, but I believe a tug went out from Albany initially and eventually the Fremantle salvage tug took her in tow and she went to Singapore for repairs?

Can anyone confirm?

--------------------
Mike.

hi Mike
Bet you never thought you would ever get a reply to your post Nov/05 !
I've just recently signed up to this site so apologies for the 3 year delay.

The weak signal your R/O heard was me on the monkey island using the lifeboat radio. (Our radioroom batteries had long since expired altho I did manage to raise Esperance Radio ESP before they packed in). We were completely blacked out & not for the first time that trip. We were high in the water as we had just discharged our cargo & not yet gas free. So when rocket after rocket fizzed across our deck it was squeaky bum time. There was 1 line secured but snapped shortly after. That was when the old man decided not to continue. We were extremely grateful for the assistance at a very vulnerable & hazardous time for us.

When we dropped the hook & appraised the situation our comms consisted of the lifeboat radio & the cadets transistor radio which he brought to the bridge. The engineers were labouring away trying to get life back into the ship without success. For the next few days Albany radio had us as the headline news until a whale washed up on the beach & stole our glory.
A tug did indeed come out to us from Albany along with a battery powered transceiver supplied by a guy called Harry who was a radio ham and had a TV shop in Albany. So comms between the ship & Glasgow were restored as we would call Harry up & he would phone Denholms and hold the phone to the speaker. Crude but effective.

Albany radio announced on air they would have a request programme for us and asked us to call Harry with a list of names & songs. I remember mine was The Clancy Brothers & Maries wedding. This probably sounds trivial considering the situation but it really lifted everyone's morale. Another bonding exercise was the meals on the bottom plates of the ER when we feasted on coffee & beans heated by Acetylene torches. The Asian crew were catered for, when the tug arrived with cages of live chickens which were swiftly taken away & processed. (we didn't ask how).

After about a week a super from Glasgow arrived on the tug (what a journey he must have had) disappeared down the ER & a few hours later lights flickered on to wild applause (because we all knew what this meant, yes COLD TENNANTS!!!).
We were not towed to Singapore as you (Mike) suggested but managed to limp our way quite slowly under our own steam to a well needed drydock.

We all paid off then but for the life of me I can't remember who else sailed on the ship at this time, O/M JJ Rose? Cat/off Harry Moon? I hope someone somewhere can put me out of my misery.

I often wonder if Denholms ever follow up with their appreciation of people like Mike & Harry who literally came to the rescue. I'm sure they did.

Yet another long winded post but it was hard to know what to leave out.

regards
ronmac

EMMESSTEE
5th March 2009, 05:28
hi Mike
Bet you never thought you would ever get a reply to your post Nov/05 !
I've just recently signed up to this site so apologies for the 3 year delay.

The weak signal your R/O heard was me on the monkey island using the lifeboat radio. (Our radioroom batteries had long since expired altho I did manage to raise Esperance Radio ESP before they packed in). We were completely blacked out & not for the first time that trip. We were high in the water as we had just discharged our cargo & not yet gas free. So when rocket after rocket fizzed across our deck it was squeaky bum time. There was 1 line secured but snapped shortly after. That was when the old man decided not to continue. We were extremely grateful for the assistance at a very vulnerable & hazardous time for us.

When we dropped the hook & appraised the situation our comms consisted of the lifeboat radio & the cadets transistor radio which he brought to the bridge. The engineers were labouring away trying to get life back into the ship without success. For the next few days Albany radio had us as the headline news until a whale washed up on the beach & stole our glory.
A tug did indeed come out to us from Albany along with a battery powered transceiver supplied by a guy called Harry who was a radio ham and had a TV shop in Albany. So comms between the ship & Glasgow were restored as we would call Harry up & he would phone Denholms and hold the phone to the speaker. Crude but effective.

Albany radio announced on air they would have a request programme for us and asked us to call Harry with a list of names & songs. I remember mine was The Clancy Brothers & Maries wedding. This probably sounds trivial considering the situation but it really lifted everyone's morale. Another bonding exercise was the meals on the bottom plates of the ER when we feasted on coffee & beans heated by Acetylene torches. The Asian crew were catered for, when the tug arrived with cages of live chickens which were swiftly taken away & processed. (we didn't ask how).

After about a week a super from Glasgow arrived on the tug (what a journey he must have had) disappeared down the ER & a few hours later lights flickered on to wild applause (because we all knew what this meant, yes COLD TENNANTS!!!).
We were not towed to Singapore as you (Mike) suggested but managed to limp our way quite slowly under our own steam to a well needed drydock.

We all paid off then but for the life of me I can't remember who else sailed on the ship at this time, O/M JJ Rose? Cat/off Harry Moon? I hope someone somewhere can put me out of my misery.

I often wonder if Denholms ever follow up with their appreciation of people like Mike & Harry who literally came to the rescue. I'm sure they did.

Yet another long winded post but it was hard to know what to leave out.

regards
ronmac

ronmac -

Many thanks for your response - I have Gulpers to thank for putting me wise to your posting!! What a fascinating read your story is and to have first-hand knowledge of your side of the incident is priceless! I do remember that we stayed with you for a while until you got into an "anchorable" depth of water - so far as line-throwing equipment is concerned, I'm sure we didn't do anything with rockets until we'd cleared it with you ..... by whatever means of communication we had!!

I think our company's (ASP Melbourne) Assistant Fleet Manager at the time was aware of what was being done and as he was an ex-Ship Manager with Denholms (he'd come to ASP in 1964 on its creation), I'm sure he'd have been in touch with old colleagues!
-------------
Mike.

Captain Scarface
16th March 2009, 01:05
Malcolm,

Bob was on the Cast ships for a number of years -- Cotter of the Otter as we used
to call him. Last I heard of him was that he was on Spanish ferries running across
the straits of Gib. Cathie died quite a number of years ago.

Donald Balloch well and kicking. Last saw him in Tesco's in Greenock about 3 years
ago. He was at the checkout with Sadie and I crept up behind him and said in his
ear " Wanna buy a cheap Sulzer ". You can imagine with his typical guffaws , brought
the place to a standstill.

Was on the Baknes early 1972 with wee Jock McVicar (who also sadly lost his wife
about 18 months ago). Can't remember who else was there but it was an exciting
7 months.

mv Baknes, "Exciting"? Like sitting alongside the dock in Oz, main engines thundering away, screw in neutral pitch to power the shaft alternators to get the hatches open because the gennies wer all gubbed once more, wharfies not going to come up the gangway "Not bluddy safe!" Or the crew sweeping previous cargo residue out of the holds and sweeping the Clyde built welding runs out as well, oh aye, "Clyde built is best." And previous message, Mr Shaw, page 8 .... Burmah Garnet and Naess Viking, you are right, no mention of them so far, and that's no bad thing. Who needs nightmares?
Scarface

Captain Scarface
16th March 2009, 02:11
Hello Gulpers
I sailed as R/O on the Hopepark Feb-May71, Conon Forest Jun71-Feb72, Gina Maria Jul72-Jan73 and Mountpark Mar73-Sep73, I left Marconi to go direct
employ with SSM but only lasted two trips, fell out and joined BP, must have
been mad. Apart from Hopepark which was an ex Esso tanker bought on the stocks for some New York outfit I enjoyed all my trips, good ships and crews
especially the Gina Maria, US east coast to Central America/Mexico with
general. Some ships I remember Federal Hudson, Fidentia, Dealbrook, Sig Ragne, Haverton, Axel Hieberg, Fort St catherine, another Fort something, will probably find somemore

Cherrs
Brian

Hi Brian, I remember you well and hope you prosper. I was 2nd mate then. D'you remember the day right on 1200, 3rd mate and me sorting out the noon position when an AB jumped through the chart room door shouting "We're on fire!" The expression on his face should have been enough but being a born again fool I asked are you sure?" I hit the fire alarm - right on mid-day mind. It rang and rang. Finally the master, Ron Watson, phoned the bridge in a temper "Why is the fire alarm still ringing!!?" (thinking it was just the 'set your watches chaps' gone wrong) "Because we are on f-g fire!" It was just a wee fire in the top pof the funnel though, no big deal for that ship. Happy days right enough. I don't think I or my generation could survive at sea nowadays. When I recollect all the 6 on 6 off watches tank cleaning etc, the mate on the go-on-stay-on, etc etc and the repetitive engine break downs, black-outs ....... when would all this paperwork get done?

Kingham SJ
18th March 2009, 17:48
merarzio grecia ro/ro tor calidonia ro/ro cast otter/husky con bulk rollnes/rocknes bulkers (coasters) act 8 ( container) oxford container city of manchester containercity of plymouth container liverpool star container auther containerThere must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D."** Let's hear them!From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s.* There are probably mistakes, but it's a start.* I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.Additions to the original post are shown in red:Al Dhrafrah (Tanker),** Andros (Geared Container),** Anglia Team (OBO),* Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier),** Arisaig(Container),** [/I] Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier),** Avon Bridge (OBO),** Bibi (General Cargo),** Braveness (Bulk Carrier),** Broompark (Bulk Carrier),** Burmah Agate (Tanker),** Burmah Endeavour (Tanker),** Burmah Enterprise (Tanker),** Burmah Gem (Tanker),** Burmah Opal (Tanker),** Burmah Pearl (Tanker),** Burmah Peridot (Tanker),** Carronpark (Bulk Carrier),** Cast Fulmar (OBO),** Cast Narwhal (OBO),** Cast Puffin (OBO),** Cast Tern (OBO),** Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier),** Chemical Explorer (Tanker),** Chemical Venturer (Tanker),** Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier),* * Clunepark (Bulk Carrier),** Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker),** Coastal Hercules (Tanker),** Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container),** Craigallian (Bulk Carrier),** Crinan (Bulk Carrier),** Dunadd (Bulk Carrier),* Dunelmia (General Cargo),** Duncraig (Bulk Carrier),** Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), * Eden Bridge (OBO),* Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier),** Eurofreighter (Container),** Euroliner (Container),** Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier),** Gastor (Gas Carrier),** Gina Maria (General Cargo),** Holness (Bulk Carrier),** Industria (General Cargo),** Letitia (General Cargo), ** Loch Lomond (Reefer),** Loch Long (Reefer),** Loch Maree (Reefer),** Morar (Bulk Carrier),** Mountpark (Bulk Carrier),** Muirfield (OBO),** Nestor (Gas Carrier),** Nordic Ambassador (Tanker),** Nordic Clansman (Tanker),** Nordic Commander (Tanker),** Nordic Crusader (OBO),** Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier),** Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier),** Norvegia Team (OBO),** Scandia Team (OBO),** Scotspark (Bulk Carrier),** Seatrain Bennington (Container),** Seatrain Saratoga [I](Container),** [B]Sevonia Team (OBO),** Silver Bridge (OBO),** Sir Alexander Glen (OBO),** * Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship),** Sir John Hunter (OBO),** Spey Bridge (OBO),** Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier),** Stonehaven (Tanker),** Stromness (Bulk Carrier),** Suecia Team (OBO),** Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier),** Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), * Tor Anglia(RORO),** Tor Hollandia (RORO),** Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier),** Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), ** Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier),** Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container),** Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

alex clark
18th March 2009, 19:25
Hi Charlie.Long time no see.We sailed together in Sir Andrew Duncan. Nordic Loisiana.And we were back to back on the Atlantic Denholm.I am still at it in the North Sea but not for much longer I hope.Reg Alex Clark.

Old Janner
24th March 2009, 10:10
Hi
I am new to this forum
Some more of Denholms ships
Sig Ragne
Bibi
Scotstoun
Bern
Al Dhafrah

But there's one missing. To say I sailed on her is not accurate, in a four month trip we weighed anchor and moved two miles to get a better TV Picture off Khor Fakkan. The fishing was especially good during this trip.

I ran the bar on this ship and figured if I could run a pub ashore with the income like that I could make a living out of it. I am sorry to re awaken a nightmare but does anyone remember .................................................. .................................................. ........
DALMA

Out of all the engineers who sailed with Denholms how many remember this one

Oh yes I remember the Dalma, Captain Rodney Megran (The Megraine), did not like booze in any form, only came out of his room to visit the bridge or his weekly jaunt on the Sunday inspection.
We were on the Gulf - Ulsan run, with a slow steam past Singapore to pick up mail and stores. Then a six week dry dock in Singapore, that was agood one!
Can anybody remember the ship running out of beer, we used the old collection of cheap wine which was lying untouched from the builders yard.
When Rodney asked me how the officers were coping with no beer, I explained that we liked the wine, but did'nt tell him by the Bucket full! we used to mix a selection of wine into a bucket and drink it, infact we drank all the wine even the cheapest vinegar tasting.
Forget the year but I joine in RKS and left six and half months later in RAK

Spence. (chief Stwd)

Old Janner
24th March 2009, 11:32
More names for the list - I served on most of them :
CAST HERON(OBO), CLARKEDEN (Ore), BINSNES (Geared Bulker), BAKNES (Geared Bulker), GLEDDOCH (Ore), JERSEY BRIDGE (Bulk), KYOTO FOREST(Geared Bulker converted to Container), MORVEN (OBO), NAESS CAVALIER (Bulk), NAESS CLARION (Bulk), NAESS CLIPPER (Bulk), NAESS PARKGATE (Bulk), NAESS TRADER (Ore), NORDIC PATRIOT (Bulk), ORMSARY (Ore), VANCOUVER TRADER (Bulk), VANCOUVER ISLAND (Geared Bulker).
Also CONON FOREST was renamed HAVRAIS for charter purposes but reverted to CONON FOREST thereafter. SEATRAIN SARATOGA was renamed TFL JEFFERSON and did several trips under this name beforwe being 'flagged out'.

Hi Bert sailed with you on the Cast Heron, remember the long haul at reduced speed from Norfolk to Kakagawa, when we arrived at the outer achorage we were just using the last of the foods from the frifdge board sweepings, also made use of the lifeboat diesel for the top up for the final leg into the inner anchorage. Good old days.
I remember the agent asking quite sternly, why had we run out of food and bunkers.

Spence lewis (ch/std)

Old Janner
24th March 2009, 13:15
Gulpers.
I was on Advara plus Loch Lomond Loch Maree,having just joined still navigating site,I was 3rd engineer/reefer at the time Loch lomond was handed over to Salem in malta,I still have one Denholms magazine with Advara on the back page,Lots of good memories of the Loch boats with the exception of the generators,they were very tempremental,Mike pride was 2nd on the Maree when I was there,that was a good voyage,Nelson in NZ springs to mind,plus we had one afternoon in Honolulu on our way down to there from Tokyo.
Rob salmon

Have only just joined and am desperately trying to pick up people from the old threads on Loch Maree, Rob I remember this trip we loaded cars in Korea,
unloaded in Honololu then Nelson NZ loaded Apples for Helsinki, Capt Ian Graham, Chief Engineer John Deacon.
Do you remember we had just sailed form Nelson early evening, dropped the Pilot, I had just got my head down after the hectic port life, when Ian Graham came into the cabin woke me told me to get my pass key as we had to search for a Stowaway!!! he went straight to the catering staff alleyway, banged on an asst stwds door and told me to open up, inside was the stwd and one of the girls he had persuaded to come with him, what a f---ing idiot, NZ to Finland trying to keep a girl secret on a ship!! apart from that it was an excellent trip.

Hope you get to read this and reply.

Regards,

Spence Lewis Ch/Stwd

randcmackenzie
25th March 2009, 01:08
Spencer,

I remember your name, but I can't remember if I had the pleasure of sailing with you. I was on Dalma back to back with Derek Fuller and also had a trip on Al Dhafrah, otherwise it was mostly assorted Nordics.

Best Regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.

Old Janner
25th March 2009, 05:22
Spencer,

I remember your name, but I can't remember if I had the pleasure of sailing with you. I was on Dalma back to back with Derek Fuller and also had a trip on Al Dhafrah, otherwise it was mostly assorted Nordics.

Best Regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.

Roddie, I just looked my old discharge book, dates were Dubai 9/8/77 left Dubai 28/01/78.
Where you on there then ?
Spence.

randcmackenzie
26th March 2009, 00:49
No Spence, at that time I was on Muirfield and then Al Dhafrah.
Looks like our paths didn't cross.

Best regards.

Old Janner
26th March 2009, 04:57
No Spence, at that time I was on Muirfield and then Al Dhafrah.
Looks like our paths didn't cross.

Best regards.

But what a ship! I have never seen so many Engineers on one ship and riding squads to back them up.
Apart from Rodney some good times.

Spence.

Orkney
10th June 2009, 23:47
Sad to read of the death of Graham Gardener on the Air France flight lost over the Atlantic.
I sailed with Graham on the Wellpark's maiden voyage.

Orkney
10th June 2009, 23:54
Spence
I remember you well. I was deck cadet on the Marie, joined her in dry dock North Sheilds and paid off with you and the Deak and the engineer cadet in Japan in 79 or 80.
Stevie Card was Mate and a great lad, I am still in contact with him from time to time, doing very well as an artist now as you may well know.
Graeme Smith

randcmackenzie
10th June 2009, 23:55
Well now, my memory said he was an ex Denholm man, and the name was ringing bells, but I can't remember if I sailed with him or not. I think I did, and certainly the photograph looks familiar.

Sad indeed, we have all made these pay-off or crew change flights. Like the helicopter in the North sea, it is a huge blow when something taken for granted goes wrong so tragically.

Best Regards,

Roddie.

Old Janner
11th June 2009, 04:53
Spence
I remember you well. I was deck cadet on the Marie, joined her in dry dock North Sheilds and paid off with you and the Deak and the engineer cadet in Japan in 79 or 80.
Stevie Card was Mate and a great lad, I am still in contact with him from time to time, doing very well as an artist now as you may well know.
Graeme Smith

Graeme, if I remeber correctly the flight was Tokyo, Anchorage - London, I think I have you in a photo taken in Anchorage standing by the Big white bear.
I'll dig it out and try to get it scanned and send you a copy. Spoke with Steve last week, just arrived back in Bermuda. I'll probably have to wait a few weeks to get a reply.
So you are now a Pilot, well its a change at least you get home most nights.
Drop me a line sometime.
Ever hear anything about the DeaK ?

Spence.

barnabyperkins
7th July 2009, 01:48
What great links with a past I thought had slipped away from me!

I am sure that the vessel used as an atavar in this post will be familiar to some!
Joined J&J Denholm in 1964. After a night in Duncan's Temperance Hotel (anyone recall that?) we flew as a crew (Dan Air) via Iceland and Gander (Nfld) to Tampa and Mobile to join "Naess Favorita". Not a ship much talked of in this thread. Quite a flight - anyone else remember it?
Other ships were: "Glenpark" "Clunepark" "Naess Scotsman" "Dunadd" "Sir Andrew Duncan".

Family links with the company go back to WW1. My Grandfather (Captain William Rickard) was Senior Master throughout WW2. Captain Henderson (later Marine Super) was an apprentice with him.

Best regards to all from the J&J Denholm ships of the 60s.................

Barnaby Perkins.

teb
7th July 2009, 04:43
G'Day Barnarby Perkins- whilst I did not sail on any Denholm ships I was Ship Manager with them in the fifties/early sixties.I managed Group"D" Glenpark,Clunepark,Dunadd,SirAndrewDuncan were with other vessels all part of my management group. I do of course remember Capt Henderson -enjoyed my time there before moving on to new challenges -Regards Teb

Kelvin hughes Sparky
8th July 2009, 21:23
Hi
Just joined and came across your thread.
I sailed with J&J Denholm as a sparky, between 77 and 84 and sailed on a few of them
THey managed a couple of Meark SHips too.
I was involved with Mearsk Angus and Meask Buchan when they were on charter to BP in the North Sea Buchan oil field.

Bill 1971
17th July 2009, 15:33
Hello there from Bill Rankine. Joined Denholms in 1971 as a deck cadet and after the induction course headed off to join the Troll River. I "googled" her this morning and found this site. I wish I had known this was out here all this time. Hoping to hear from old Denholm pals or perhaps GCNS.

gkh151
17th July 2009, 17:20
Hi to all

I sailed in the Dunblane in the early 70s, 1971 if my memory is correct. I think they had just aquired her and she was formerly named Redcar can't remember the name of the company she came from.

Also if my memory is correct I joined her in Immingham sailed for Narvick iron ore back to Immingham on to Seven Islands iron ore back to Birkenhead sailed back to Severn Islands back to Birkenhead where I paid off. As I have said this is all from memory but I think I am correct.

Graham

roythwa
18th July 2009, 18:44
hello gulpers i dunno if this the correct way to post. I looked and it said had 13 replies to my post but I cannot find any

I Went to Grimsby to Join MV Broompark it was grim and cold at a very early hour. Someone gave me directions to the ship she was drydocked. Funny thing my D/C book shows Immingham, maybe dome one would mind why.

I joined 29/3/1961 not like my prevoius posts. Left in Osaka Japan. First voyage was Antwerp, Bremen to the US then we went and loaded Wheat at Baltimore for the Med, I remember going to Genoa it was horribly cold and didn't go ashore there my next memory is Piraeus Greece an d then we went through suez and I have lost my little list of ports of call and dates there much to my chagrin. We called in Australia at one time. I Think maybe the apprentices were the ones mentioned although it is a very long time ago

I would like to say hullo to the Tarbet folks as I Know for sure the youngest
apprentice hailed from there.

I had another voyage after in 1962 on MV limerick and we called at Newcastle NSW again which sealed my fate as I met a lass there aand well you know the rest. The Limerick wasn't the same as the Broompark and I found that scotsmen were much better to sail with.

I went over to the Australian Merchant Navy after and after my 2 years were up went ashore frixing tellys.

My Sailing Days were sadly over since I was hauled ashore by my girl!

I still long for the Broompark days funny isn't it.

All the best and if you can help me navigate to the replies that were posted it would be a greatful old codger here. Pity we get old just when things are getting interesting. If any lads are out here please get in touch for a yarn.

Roy Thwaites
Later I went to the Limerick in Avonmouth paid off a year later in Victoria Docks

Dan.n
18th July 2009, 19:20
Hi Roy, I was deck boy on the Broompark on her maiden voyage 13.05.1959 to 25.03.1960. Dan

roythwa
18th July 2009, 19:35
Thanks Dan I joined in 1961 March a drydock near Grimsby. I remember a deck boy as he was mates with the younger apprentice.

I have just found your reply.

Roy

roythwa
18th July 2009, 19:42
yes the same man.we stayed in whiteinch till 1965 then moved to dunbar.old archie still going about now staying down near fleetwood.think he finished with denholms early or mid eighties.i finished with denholms 1979 still at sea but in the north sea.
Sorry to butt in but the lecky rings a bell do you remember me the sparky roy

Jay Wye
19th July 2009, 11:58
I was a Donaldson "man", but I see my first ship, the "new" Letitia, was mentioned in the list after being sold and renamed the "Bibi"!
What really takes me back though are the frequent mentions of the Dalma and the Al Dhafrah! Ah yes, happy days in Jabal Dhanna where I was Pilot.
The Dalma was storage vessel there for quite a while and I remember fondly, some exciting alongside berthings whilst training the new breed of Pilots. However, a wee dram calmed me down afterwards! I shan't mention any of the Masters' names though, as we might have been bending a couple of rules.
Ah, the good old days prior to the Exxon Valdez!

Normski
20th July 2009, 01:36
I was with Denholms as junior engineer in the late 70's /early 80's. Norman Logan.

Sailed on Nordic Texas and Nordic Louisiana, Chemical Venturer, Chemical Explorer, the odd one out being Coastal Corpus Christie. There were a couple of others but I'll have to dig out my lil' blue book.

Spent a bit of time backreading this thread and I recognise some of the names, but then again there are probably few who can remeber me.

Apprenticed in the Middle docks in South Shields, I worked on the a lot of the ships mentioned,little believing that I would sail on them eventually. Ah if I only knew then ....

rob salmon
21st July 2009, 17:14
Have only just joined and am desperately trying to pick up people from the old threads on Loch Maree, Rob I remember this trip we loaded cars in Korea,
unloaded in Honololu then Nelson NZ loaded Apples for Helsinki, Capt Ian Graham, Chief Engineer John Deacon.
Do you remember we had just sailed form Nelson early evening, dropped the Pilot, I had just got my head down after the hectic port life, when Ian Graham came into the cabin woke me told me to get my pass key as we had to search for a Stowaway!!! he went straight to the catering staff alleyway, banged on an asst stwds door and told me to open up, inside was the stwd and one of the girls he had persuaded to come with him, what a f---ing idiot, NZ to Finland trying to keep a girl secret on a ship!! apart from that it was an excellent trip.

Hope you get to read this and reply.

Regards,

Spence Lewis Ch/Stwd
I have not been on site for a while so missed your reply,sorry,are you living in falmouth,I am at bodmin,my daughter lives in penryn,that brought back memories,the stowaway at nelson,I had the screamer,she picked me up at the football match and afterwards the Hangii where it poured with rain and we all went on the piss in the garage,great port,we loaded cars in Tokyo,I have a plate made of that time,am I right?John deacon,we nearly got kicked out of a bar in long beach because of his stutter,they thought he was drunk.
regards rob

Stephen J. Card
27th July 2009, 22:48
I John deacon,we nearly got kicked out of a bar in long beach because of his stutter,they thought he was drunk.
regards rob

And the second place we tried that evening I got 'carded' and they would'n't serve because they thought I was under age! But we managed!

Rob, I think we should pay a vit to Spence. That would upset the neighbours!

Stephen

Old Janner
28th July 2009, 04:54
Come on down, the price is right.
Steve, Rob you are more than welcome.
Summer lasts till end of September, maybe into mid October.
Or Make plans for next year Summer starts Mid May, though I have been known to go swimming in April.

Spence.

Stephen J. Card
29th July 2009, 19:24
Come on down, the price is right.
Steve, Rob you are more than welcome.
Summer lasts till end of September, maybe into mid October.
Or Make plans for next year Summer starts Mid May, though I have been known to go swimming in April.

Spence.

Spence,

Ah, perhaps we should make some plans for next summer.

Stephen

Old Janner
30th July 2009, 05:13
Steve / Rob Need to start a plan early new year, then we know we have a comitment!

Many years ago when I was still in the UK, Mike Pride , Bill Havey and some of the others had some ideas about a Loch Maree / Loch Lomond reunion (In Glasgow of Course) Any persons interested in this ?

Spence.

Stephen J. Card
31st July 2009, 01:48
Steve / Rob Need to start a plan early new year, then we know we have a comitment!

Many years ago when I was still in the UK, Mike Pride , Bill Havey and some of the others had some ideas about a Loch Maree / Loch Lomond reunion (In Glasgow of Course) Any persons interested in this ?

Spence.

Hi Spence,

Meet at Betty's Bar?

Yes, I think it is a great idea. Would be good to see the old gang.

Stephen

randcmackenzie
2nd August 2009, 00:06
You might all be looking about for quite a long time Steve. Long gone I think.

Best Regards,

Roddie.

Stephen J. Card
3rd August 2009, 02:47
You might all be looking about for quite a long time Steve. Long gone I think.

Best Regards,

Roddie.

Roddie,

I only ever visited the establishment once. I was up in Gasgow for Phase I, Donald Ross told me about this great pub and suggested I should visit. He even told that it was a posh place and I should make certain I wore a jacket and tie! It wasn't that posh!!!(Thumb)

Roddy, were you Mate in EUROLINER... late 1972 when I was there? I remember my first day on board after joining in New York... sitting on a stage over the side of the bridge wing fitting a new light/smoke signal on the lifebuoy. I was up the top of a ladder thsi week painting the sides of the house... not quite as high as EUROLINER!

Stephen

Ronnie Keir
3rd August 2009, 18:25
Hi everyone,
Ihave just gotten round to reading my back issues of the Telegraph. I notice the tribute to Graham Gardener, Master with Subsea.
He was one of the many who perished in the Air france disaster recently off the coast of Brazil.
I remember sailing with Graham when he was 2nd Mate, but cant rember when, J&J's, or Northern Marine, Stens Seaspread or another RoRo.
He was a good guy. My thoughts to his family.
Who else remembers Graham ?.

Ronnie Keir.

randcmackenzie
3rd August 2009, 23:56
Hello Ronnie,

I remember Graham Gardiner's name and the face, but not from where.

Yes Steve,

I remember you well from Euroliner and elsewhere, and now that you mention it, the smoke float too!

Betty's was a bit of an institution, and the only times I frequented it were when doing a EDH/Lifeboat ticket in the sixties.

Just because it was handy, you understand.

Rowan Doxfords were built next door, and if you google Betty's Bar you will see she and her sister were Brazilian.

They were assisted in setting up by the Dick brothers, and I remember there was a Dick's bar somewhere close by in these days.

All the Best everybody.

Old Janner
4th August 2009, 05:02
Steve, did you ever hear what happened to John Corrin ? I sailed with Bill Donnan a few times on the Stena Inspector and the Seaspread, lost touch after that. When I was on the Lady of Mann met Johns brother, Peter but did not have the same sort of character as John.

Look forward to seeing you next year in Baku.

Spence.

Stephen J. Card
4th August 2009, 13:44
Yes Steve,

I remember you well from Euroliner and elsewhere, and now that you mention it, the smoke float too!

All the Best everybody.

Roddy,

I also remember a day in one of the US ports, Charleston or Wilmington while in EUROLINER. You called myself and the other deck cadet and told to go accross to the little Booth vessel lying nearby, DOMINIC or CRISPIN, can't remember which one. You told us to present ourselves to the Mate and tell him that were ignorant cadets off a big container ship and knew nothing about general cargo ships. Best thing you could ever do for a cadet! Must have been, I never went on another box boat and only one more tanker and two OBO's then it all reefers and general cargo.

I wonder if you also remember up on to foc's'l'e on after noon arriving in Baltimore. Myself and a few of the sailors were joking anout the scruffy, rusty looking, Greek-type, cargo ship lying under the grain elevators. I remember you called us a stupid lot because it was CLUNEPARK! I alsso remember the bollocking Mike Pride and I got when we came back with half the crowd off CLUNEPARK and our guests got rather 'untidy' in the officer's bar. Good old days.

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
4th August 2009, 13:52
Steve, did you ever hear what happened to John Corrin ? I sailed with Bill Donnan a few times on the Stena Inspector and the Seaspread, lost touch after that. When I was on the Lady of Mann met Johns brother, Peter but did not have the same sort of character as John.

Look forward to seeing you next year in Baku.

Spence.

Spence,

As far as I know Jogn was sailing with Denholm IOM. Must be almost retired by now.

Likewise 'CWH'. I had a message from Bill a few years ago. I think he was just about ready to come ashore.

Yes, Baku sounds good!

Stephen

Mike Kemble
12th August 2009, 13:09
This is tying up with my own thread:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=348574#post348574

rumdram
24th September 2009, 02:48
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga [I](Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

The TOR ANGLIA and TOR HOLLANDIA were in fact swedish flagged passenger ferries owned by the swedish company Tor Line , originally running between Sweden and U.K. (Gothenburg-Immingham). When they (Tor Line) decided to increase their container/RORO trade to the U.K. they built two customised vessels for the job, TOR MERCIA and TOR SCANDIA , because of trade agreements government legislation required these two vessels to be British registered, hence hello Denholms! . Denholms formed a subsidary company called Denholm McLay to manage these two vessels. Eventually Tor Line extended its container trade to the near continent , Holland, and proceeded to build 4 larger class of vessel, TOR GOTHIA, TOR BELGIA, TOR NERLANDIA,TOR CALEDONIA, because of an eeny weeny little bit of difference between U.K. salaries and swedish salaries (Hello Denholms!) it was decided to keep these vessels also under the british flag. As the fleet was now trading in a "triangular" route around the north sea, Denholms wiped out its tax debt with Denholm McLay by forming another company called Triport Shipping. TOR CALEDONIA by the way, joined the Falklands task force in 1982. Thereof ends a short period of my life.

skele
5th October 2009, 20:44
was roddy and don ross the same two who was on neptunia .o.t.s. you mentioned about glasgow in your message ,(Thumb)

terval
22nd October 2009, 11:04
There was another Naess ore carrier, Naess Trader. Denholm McLay also had the Vento di Maestrali, a small ship sailing between the UK and Italy. Frank MacNeilage lent me to the Vento for one trip in February 73 for three weeks. Not a good experience.
Cheers.
Terry.

terval
22nd October 2009, 11:09
I wonder if the Donald Ross mentioned above is the same one who was 2/O with me when his first child was born. He went pick up his wife from the station for the weekend in the Herculaneum DD but came back with a wife and a Labrador. I still enjoyed baby-sitting althought the dog ate my sarnies.
Cheers.
Terry.

FrankGil
22nd October 2009, 12:10
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga [I](Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

I sailed on some of these ships namely Nordic Crusader(Cast Fulmar)Troll Lake
among others,also Al Farabi and Uqbar Ibn Nafi plus Blue Fin and Yellow Fin

Stephen J. Card
27th October 2009, 00:22
I wonder if the Donald Ross mentioned above is the same one who was 2/O with me when his first child was born. He went pick up his wife from the station for the weekend in the Herculaneum DD but came back with a wife and a Labrador. I still enjoyed baby-sitting althought the dog ate my sarnies.
Cheers.
Terry.

Terry,

If I'm not mistaken ... c. 1970, Donald was 3/0 and the Lab's name was Rannah... after his Indian steward on the NAESS CHAMPION. First son, John was born May or June 1971... now a yachtmaster!

Stephen
First tripper with Donald on the NAESS PIONEER in 1970. His first pearl of wisdom to me.... "You call me Sir and I'll call you Sir. The only difference iss, you mean it, I don't!"

Harry Grainger
27th October 2009, 05:10
Some recent photos at the opening of refurbishment and extension to County Antrim Yacht Club in Whitehead. Angus was Commodore back in the 60's.Go to wwwharrisonphotography.net and use Event Password "royalyachtclub"
Page 9 of photos first 3 photos. A young looking 96 !!!

teb
27th October 2009, 16:54
Some recent photos at the opening of refurbishment and extension to County Antrim Yacht Club in Whitehead. Angus was Commodore back in the 60's.Go to wwwharrisonphotography.net and use Event Password "royalyachtclub"
Page 9 of photos first 3 photos. A young looking 96 !!!

Harry- Got through to the web site but would not accept password-claimed it was incorrect? Regards Teb.(ex Denholn Ship Manager)

muldonaich
27th October 2009, 21:49
yes tried the link myself no joy kev. ps what group did you manage teb brgds kev.

teb
28th October 2009, 05:22
yes tried the link myself no joy kev. ps what group did you manage teb brgds kev.

G'Day Kev- My group was SM Group D this was during the Fifties early Sixties amongst others it included all the Family owned ships.Regards Teb

Harry Grainger
29th October 2009, 12:47
Sorry probably my fault - do not use inverted comas before and after royalyachtclub. Either that or google CAYC and on home page of club are instructions for phots.

muldonaich
29th October 2009, 15:10
i see he still has his mustache harry but looking good for his age kev.

teb
29th October 2009, 16:43
HSorry probably my fault - do not use inverted comas before and after royalyachtclub. Either that or google CAYC and on home page of club are instructions for phots.

Got through this time thanks harry-Hope I can hack it at his age(only another 7 years to go.)Regards Teb

muldonaich
29th October 2009, 19:46
G'Day Kev- My group was SM Group D this was during the Fifties early Sixties amongst others it included all the Family owned ships.Regards Tebi was on the ore carriers then brgds kev.

John Cassels
29th October 2009, 20:12
i was on the ore carriers then brgds kev.

Me too.

teb
30th October 2009, 11:42
Me too.

John-Kev which ore carriers were you on? Regards Teb

muldonaich
30th October 2009, 14:09
was on a few dunadd duncraig twice gleddoch twice clarkeden 3 times wellpark naess trader and another couple brgds kev.

John Cassels
31st October 2009, 14:49
Dunkyle - twice , apprentice - 2nd.mate
Arisaig - 3rd.mate
Clarkeden - 2nd.mate
Craigallian - 2nd.mate
Crinan - off course as apprentice.

Angus Murray
2nd November 2009, 08:25
Does anyone have a photo of the Naess Viking. Must be the only vessel of that era with the prefix NAESS or NORDIC that does not seem to appear anywhere in 'Gallery'.
Also tried subsequent names, CAST CORMORANT/PACIFIC JASMIN/GULF PHOENIX to no avail.
Stood by her as new building at Eriksberg (Gothenburg) in 1972.
Angus

Malky Glaister
3rd November 2009, 00:28
Hi,

I recall a picture in the Denholm News of Vikings launch. Obviously sometime around 1972. Hope this helps.
I stood by the building of thyree Seateam ships in Sweden. Gothenburg was fantastic,

Doug Shaw
3rd November 2009, 01:01
Angus

There's a photo of her forward section in the gallery when she was Nordic Clipper (1974 - 1981). Try here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=131540).

Regards
Doug

Angus Murray
3rd November 2009, 08:06
Hi,

I recall a picture in the Denholm News of Vikings launch. Obviously sometime around 1972. Hope this helps.
I stood by the building of thyree Seateam ships in Sweden. Gothenburg was fantastic,

Malky
Will have a look through old Denholm News. If i remember correctly, those standing by Seateam ships at Gotaverken at same time,were paid substantially less subsistence than we were paid by Naess at Eriksberg! You are right in that Gothenburg was fantastic. Eventually departed Gothenburg for Vittoria (thence Japan) after sea trials a week before Christmas 1972.

Doug
Found the pic referred to in Gallery showing bow section only. Not a great ship pc, and surprised that no other photo seems to be available. Even more surprising that i did not keep one myself! Thanks for reply.
Angus

Doug Shaw
3rd November 2009, 08:51
Angus

Couldn't find any other photos on SN, but found one here (http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20N/slides/Nordic%20Clipper-01.html). It's in black and white and not brilliant, but it's the best I've found.

Regards
Doug

Malky Glaister
4th November 2009, 23:45
Angus,
I don't recall any whingeing regards money. We all were enjoying both life and work.
Do you remember Jedforest from Erikesbergs and the fiasco of the girl and the Gota bridge?
Otherwise thye Blue Peacock and White Corner should be in the good Mariners pub guide.
Anyone from those Seateam ship newbuildings get on this thread with your tales
Regards to all

Malky Glaister

Angus Murray
7th November 2009, 19:52
Malky
Not aware of the episode referred to, but remember these two establishments very well.

Doug
Thanks for the photo. Found another one in an old Denholm News (1973), showing a rather small poor quality photo of the Naess Viking on trials.

Regards
Angus

Angus,
I don't recall any whingeing regards money. We all were enjoying both life and work.
Do you remember Jedforest from Erikesbergs and the fiasco of the girl and the Gota bridge?
Otherwise thye Blue Peacock and White Corner should be in the good Mariners pub guide.
Anyone from those Seateam ship newbuildings get on this thread with your tales
Regards to all

Malky Glaister

alex clark
15th November 2009, 16:11
Any-one got a photo of the "Vancouver Trader" Only Denholm ship I can,t find a photo of Regards Alex Clark.

11th December 2009, 23:57
Served on the Clarkavon for six months in the winter of 1961. Weirdest voyage of my career. Sailed from Port Talbot to Melilla, Morocco and took on a cargo of red, iron ore dust. Filled the holds to overflowing and barely settled to half her freeboard. Sweltered in the heat during the three days it took to wash off all of the red muck from her uppers. Offloaded in Port Talbot a week later and then set off for Narvik in Norway. A week later we took on a load of blue, solid iron ore that made just a heap in each hold and the ship was down to the gunnels! Froze all the little bits off my body while all this was going on. Returned to Port Talbot to off load. We then went back to Melilla! This carried on for the whole of my time on board. Hot, Cold Hot, Cold every month regular as clockwork. Got cheesed off in the end and paid off. Look back now on the 'Good Old Days'.

Mike R757550
20th December 2009, 10:23
(A) My first encounter with Denholms was on Naess Spirit 1963.We were all
called up to denholms office to be checked over by Capt Brown,who in turn
told us to be down at the pool in the morning to be picked up by bus for
the airport. What he never told us, it was Gatwick Airport in London. Where
we got a dan air flight to Naples. The Capt was J Rhodes mate W Mcalister
2mate W Coutts. Cadetts were Sam Clements,Angus Macinnies and Mike Fagan. All good guys.Ten month later we all got of in France.
After that things were getting, better, and I am glad to say I stayed with them for some time.

m.davies343
14th May 2010, 19:39
Hi all.Im new to this site.I was OS on the Clarkavon for 7 months in 1970.Coming from Port Talbot I grew up watching Denholms iron ore carriers docking+sailing.2 of my brothers sailed on all of them.The ones I remember were Arisaig,Craigallian,Crinan,Gleddoch,Morar,Ormsary, Naess Trader,Wellpark(ex Needles),Clarkavon+Clarkeden.

ccurtis1
25th June 2010, 20:59
Just browsing the Denholm pages, and can find no reference to the managed "Cenargo" ships. I think Denholms managed the ships, prefixed "Merchant" from about 1982, just after the Falklands war. "V" Ships took over the management around the late eighties, and several of the Denhoms staff stayed with the ships. Captains Bob Cotter, Chris Thomas, Bill Harvey and John Millar and CEs Walter Muir, Norman Harrison and Bob ?????.
Sadly Bob Cotter passed away quite a while ago, whilst John Millar is still commanding ships, but not with "V"Ships. Cenargo of course went into liquidation in the nineties.

Kingham SJ
27th June 2010, 14:09
Just a few more to add to your list Gulpers 1983/1991.Merzario Grecia(roro),Tor Calidonia(roro),Cast Otter(conbulk).Rollness(Bulk),rockness(bulk),Oxfor d(container)Act8(container),Auther(container),City of Plymouth(container),City of Manchester(container),Liverpool Star(container).

Kingham SJ
28th June 2010, 16:20
Hi Willall, Didnt you borrow a push bike???Divers were involved if I remember correctly.

albatross1923
28th June 2010, 19:58
My Ships with Denholms were as follows
MT SCOTSTOUN
MV CLARKSPEY
NAESS TRADER
ARISAIG
MORAR
SAILED AS 2ND ENGR
SERVED WITH THE COMPANY FROM MARCH1957/29JULY1961
YOURS ALBATROSS 1923

REGARDS TO ALL

ARRANMAN35
29th June 2010, 11:07
Hi Albatross,

Sailed on three vessels you mentioned during your
time frame, may have served with you during that
period.
A PM with your name would confirm.

Archie.

Ernieab
16th August 2010, 17:20
Donholms did indeed manage Cenargo ships in the "80s" I was on the Merchant Patriot running down to the Falklands,Chris Thomas was skipper. I think the other ships were Merchant Pioneer and Merchant Providence, later becoming Merchant Provider.

Kingham SJ
19th August 2010, 16:24
Here are some more for the list 1980/1991, cast tern[obo]merzario grecia[roro]tor calidonia[roro]cast otter[conbulk]rollnes[bulk]rocknes[bulk]oxford[con]act8[con]auther[con]provance[con]city of manchester[con]city of plymouth[con]liverpool star[con]

Ernieab
22nd August 2010, 02:30
Spent over seven years on the act8 great crew from top to bottom, it was a sad day when we lost the job to cheap labour.

Skye Sierra
22nd August 2010, 20:45
Donholms did indeed manage Cenargo ships in the "80s" I was on the Merchant Patriot running down to the Falklands,Chris Thomas was skipper. I think the other ships were Merchant Pioneer and Merchant Providence, later becoming Merchant Provider.

and the Merchant Navigator Ernie - she was at East Cove alongside the Providence having taken down plant and accommodation for the workforce to build the road to Mount Pleasant - that was in '83.

Regards Roger

Seaspread
23rd August 2010, 23:36
There where some more Denholm ships as well=Tor Caledonia, Lakespan Ontario,Nordic Sky,Scotstoun,Stena Seaspread,all which i sailed on in late 70"s early 80"s. "Seaspread"

vickentallen
13th September 2010, 21:59
Nobody ever mentions the "MORVEN" (Oar carrier) (pun intended) I wonder why ???

andy60e
2nd January 2011, 23:00
mudonaich,

Sailed with Barra John many times on Asiafreighter and Asialiner. What a character - wouldn't allow anyone to use the loo when passing Barra. I think the real reason was that he didn't want to pollute the 'swag' that he dumped over the wall for the Barra fishing boats to collect from our wake! (Applause)

Sailed as the other steward alongside Barra John on the Asialiner....never quite met anyone else like him before or after....great bloke and dedicated to his job

Walter_Snook
19th January 2011, 05:32
I was with Denholm also....

Ga Chau (ex-Wellpark) /Bulk, Engine Cadet 1993-1994
Brisbane Star/Reefer Container, Motorman 1995
Uqba Ibn Nafi / Chem Tanker, Motorman 1996
Argentina Star / Container, Motorman 1996
Choyang Sydney / Container, Motorman 1997
Ahmad Al fateh / Gen. Cargo, 4th Engr. 1998

Victor J Croasdale
21st January 2011, 19:48
Hi,
I sailed on the Advara in1979. It was a container ship at that time with Haglunds cranes. It was not geared, it had a Sulzer main engine with direct drive.

Walter_Snook
22nd January 2011, 06:48
MT "Uqba Ibn Nafi", NSCSA......sailed with Capt. French, Capt. Connel, then Capt. Duncan......also 2E Buchanan, a mentor to me.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww315/specter_jester/Ships/1232425.jpg

Colin J. Robertson
25th March 2011, 23:24
In your list you mention that the Lylepark is a bulk carrier.in the photo I am currently looking at of the second Lylepark taken in 1951 she is plainly a conventional cargo ship,,,,does this mean that there was a third Lylepark?

Chris

Hello fellows,
sailed on the Lylepark around 1958 /59 on a near two year run to Australia and then Nauru ,Ocean Island etc. before to Argentina with coal and then corn on the way home. Was 3rd. mate during the trip.
All the best.......Colin J. Robertson

Colin J. Robertson
25th March 2011, 23:42
Hello fellows,
sailed on the Lylepark around 1958 /59 on a near two year run to Australia and then Nauru ,Ocean Island etc. before to Argentina with coal and then corn on the way home. Was 3rd. mate during the trip.
All the best.......Colin J. Robertson

ps. yes she was a conventional cargo ship.We took normal cargo down for unloading around the coast to most ports from Perth to Cairns and Townsvill.

von zippa
8th August 2011, 14:42
well `ive left a list of some ships that are missing from the list but it seems iv`posted it in the wrong place ,

perthTam
11th September 2011, 12:32
(A) My first encounter with Denholms was on Naess Spirit 1963.We were all
called up to denholms office to be checked over by Capt Brown,who in turn
told us to be down at the pool in the morning to be picked up by bus for
the airport. What he never told us, it was Gatwick Airport in London. Where
we got a dan air flight to Naples. The Capt was J Rhodes mate W Mcalister
2mate W Coutts. Cadetts were Sam Clements,Angus Macinnies and Mike Fagan. All good guys.Ten month later we all got of in France.
After that things were getting, better, and I am glad to say I stayed with them for some time.

J Rhodes is my old man .... he is still kicking about ...... will point out this website to him when I see him later today.

Is that Willie McAlister as mate?

perthTam
11th September 2011, 12:37
[QUOTE=Dick S;168340]Ref Bill Gray and Eddie Spiterie - sailed with Bill when he was 2/0 on the Troll Park 1 trip only. I believe that Bill's wife was Eddies sister as I remember Bill's son - a great lad really into military models (he'll be 40ish now!!!!!)- talkiing about Uncle Eddie.

Dick

QUOTE]

I had the pleasure of sailing with Eddie on maiden voyage NORDIC CLANSMAN. We were both third mates. Second mate was George Watts. Mate was Ian 'Slop Tank' Donaldson if I remember correctly. Marcus Gunn took the ship out and John Rhodes took over is Ras Tan.

That voyage, from Lisbon to the Gulf and return to Le Havre toook three months. We loaded and discharged the same cargo twice! Loaded at Ras Tannurah and sailed for Le Havre. When we got down towards Madagascar an oil leak from the stern seal caused us to go back to the Gulf where we anchored, discharged about 90% of the cargo into a chartered Norwegian tanker, the RADNEY, enough to get the seal out of the water. Following repairs we re-loaded from the Norwegian. When a final set of ullages were taken to calculate how much we had lost in the RADNEY's tanks as 'unpumpage' we foud we were almost 10,000 tons MORE than what we started with!!!!! It was discovered that the mate on RADNEY discharged his vessel and kept her on an even keel. When he lost suction he open up his sea suctions and pumped away until he guessed we were almost full!

Stephen

J Rhodes will be my old man ....... still kicking about in Perth ...... will point him at this site when I see him later today.

bondyboy63
26th October 2011, 18:27
Kev, Skye Sierra is actually on the right site. I found this while looking at previous correspondents. In January 1971, I was on the Denholm managed, Beaufort Sea during our trip from El Palito, Venesuela to New York with heavy fuel for their power stations. Two days out of New York we were caught in a force 10. The Beaufort Sea had midships accommodation with a flying bridge between Midships and the Aft Accommodation.

In the heavy weather the flying bridge took a hammering which destroyed the hydraulic telemotor pipes which allowed steering from the bridge. The Cargo heating pipes were also damaged so there was no heating to the cargo.

Both the Deck and Engine room went on to 6 on / 6 off watches. The Old Man and the Mate were on the Bridge and the 2nd Mate and 3rd Mate were out in the sub zero temperatures steering from the Emergency steering station.

After two days of this we arrived in New York with the cargo solidified in the holds. We were a week with Todds shipyard people renewing pipework then another week with a steam barge alongside getting steam heating into the cargo.

You will probably know a number of the crew who went through this never to be forgotten experience.

Master: Bobby Kinder
Mate: Stuart Hulse
2nd Mate: Dougie Pollock
3rd Mate: Ian Turner

Chief Engineer: Mike Patton
2nd Eng: Ralph Kahn
3rd Eng:
4th Eng: Bob McGowan
Jnr Eng: Jim Boyd
Elect. Malcolm Mort

I think I got all the names correct. You don't usually forget what you were doing for your 21st Birthday.

Hector Connell relieved Dougie Pollock after all the fun but he went on to get his own fun with the boat people.

Happy days.

Hope this puts the record straight.

Robert (Bobby) Kinder was my uncle and I think he spent his whole life from apprentice to Master with J J Denholm. Only ship I ever met him on was the Norscot in Curacao while I was on a Shell Tanker.
Robert died about two years or so ago in the USA where he had retired to.
Regards
Chris Bond

randcmackenzie
27th October 2011, 00:31
Hello Chris.

I'm sorry to hear of Bobby Kinder's passing, I liked him immensely

A larger than life character with a fund of almost believable stories, and not afraid to use a better way if older working practices were too cumbersome.

I sailed with him as Third Mate for about 8 months on the old Dealmouth.

Though he was in Denholm from an early age, I seem to remember him saying he served his time elsewhere - Salvesen perhaps?

Of those on the Beaufort Sea, I sailed with Old Man, the Mate, both Second and Third Mates, and the 4th and Junior Engineers.

Best Regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.

Varley
27th October 2011, 13:08
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm catching up with one of Roddie Mackenzie's bulletins on missing names in Sept 2007.

I wondered if we were leaving Papanick's fleet out from embarassment or politics! (Titan Tankers?).

Further to the 'features' present on ANT when Lars Nordin's small 'prize' crew took her over in the Cayman Islands.

We had been puzzled by the loud clonking as she moved gently in the swell. This was the first symptom of the dropped rudder although visually obvious once sighted.

The HP turbine was bypassed as were the atemperators from both boilers (actually removed and laying on the plates - for atemperator consult a plumber, some sort of de-superheater I think). The burner management was 'difficult'.

She would have neatly bridged between Little Cayman and Cayman Brac and our manoevring of her in this condition almost achieved this!

Prodromos was also one of his I can't remember Ypermachos.

Prodromos (possibly AN Other) had the best electrical distribution design I had seen with separate switchboard rooms P&S and remote control in the ECR. Lars pointed out that this good was entirely undone by her general condition citing, in particular, several home made live steam pipe patches (done 'before our time' of course).

[Having slept on it it was of course Marilena with the elegant electrics and dodgy fog generation. Wasn't Prodromos the midships pumproom Gotaverken? - David V]

What about Pacific Express or have I missed her listing?

In looking at my Summer/Autumn 1981 Denholm news I see a Willine Toyo listed - I don't remember her at all.

David V

bondyboy63
27th October 2011, 17:16
Hello Chris.

I'm sorry to hear of Bobby Kinder's passing, I liked him immensely

A larger than life character with a fund of almost believable stories, and not afraid to use a better way if older working practices were too cumbersome.

I sailed with him as Third Mate for about 8 months on the old Dealmouth.

Though he was in Denholm from an early age, I seem to remember him saying he served his time elsewhere - Salvesen perhaps?

Of those on the Beaufort Sea, I sailed with Old Man, the Mate, both Second and Third Mates, and the 4th and Junior Engineers.

Best Regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.

Hello Roddie
I took my mother (Robert's sister) to Montreal to meet up with their brother Harold who lived there in September 1965.
Whilst we were there Robert called from his ship to tell us he would be in the St Lawrence soon and would be stopping at Montreal for I seem to remember bunkers.
We all went to the ship and he sent out a boat for us to go to him.
My main memory is we were sitting in his cabin with the Chief engineer and some other officers when something stopped working, the absence of noise alerted them and within seconds my mother
and I were in an empty cabin. I heard the word Gyro mentioned so it may have been that.
Getting back on the small boat after the visit was an epic for my mother but she did succeed without falling in.
Would that have been a period when you sailed with him ?
Kind regards
Chris

randcmackenzie
28th October 2011, 00:24
Hello Chris.

Yes, I was there in September 1965, though I have to say I can't remember Bobby's visitors.

I was a lowly Third Mate at the time.

If my memory is correct, we were proceeding up the Lakes to Detroit with a cargo of steel coils loaded in Glasgow.

The beneficial owners were Federal Commerce of Montreal and they may well have chosen to bunker her there.

Your Uncle - known throughout Denholm's as Bobby - was very good to sail with, and though an old ship, Dealmouth was very happy and well cared for.

Best Regards,

Roddie.

randcmackenzie
28th October 2011, 00:30
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm catching up with one of Roddie Mackenzie's bulletins on missing names in Sept 2007.

I wondered if we were leaving Papanick's fleet out from embarassment or politics! (Titan Tankers?).

Further to the 'features' present on ANT when Lars Nordin's small 'prize' crew took her over in the Cayman Islands.

We had been puzzled by the loud clonking as she moved gently in the swell. This was the first symptom of the dropped rudder although visually obvious once sighted.

The HP turbine was bypassed as were the atemperators from both boilers (actually removed and laying on the plates - for atemperator consult a plumber, some sort of de-superheater I think). The burner management was 'difficult'.

She would have neatly bridged between Little Cayman and Cayman Brac and our manoevring of her in this condition almost achieved this!

Prodromos was also one of his I can't remember Ypermachos.

Prodromos (possibly AN Other) had the best electrical distribution design I had seen with separate switchboard rooms P&S and remote control in the ECR. Lars pointed out that this good was entirely undone by her general condition citing, in particular, several home made live steam pipe patches (done 'before our time' of course).

What about Pacific Express or have I missed her listing?

In looking at my Summer/Autumn 1981 Denholm news I see a Willine Toyo listed - I don't remember her at all.

David V

Hello Dave,

Yes, I remember Pacific Express, an older Seateam sister type with midships pumproom and Bergen Diesel driven cargo pumps in a pump/engine room between 6 and 7 hatch.

Friendly Carrier was of similar arrangement.

Was Pacific Express Prodromos when she came in to management? - I think Ypermachos was an ex Japanese flag ship where only the Old Man had his own toilet shower, obliging the owner and Denholm to put in a telephone box sized facility for the Chief.

Do I remember Willine Toyo was a Forest boat (Conon?) on charter to someone else?

Best Regards,

Roddie.

Varley
28th October 2011, 10:50
Good morning Roddie,

Although I had plenty to do with Pacific Express I didn't see her often. She had a shaft generator driven by fixed gear. Fairly unusual for slow speed diesel. Didn't she also have a retrofit Diahatsu generator necessitated by retrofit of IG?

I had thought that I visited Prodromos in Sullom Voe (with Tommy Isbister to keep Bicycle Bill in check). Whichever this was she had a Fredrikstad IG plant, the cause of our visit, and from which I still have a sample of the 'IG' - a crisp layer of soot.

For years I didn't keep a day book now I can't remember one vast hunk of steel from another.

David V

Malky Glaister
28th October 2011, 13:58
Roddy, I recall that Gotaverken shipyard built some OBO's with midships pumprooms but they were not for Seateam. I think they did predate the original Seateam vessels, ie Norvegia and Anglia etc.
These vessels had three cargo pumps, all verticle driven from the enginerrom. " diesels (B&W) and on eturbine for the IG load.

I remember Brian French going on and on(!) about the ANT

regards Malky

Malky Glaister
28th October 2011, 14:00
I should make it more clear that the vessels witht he engine room pumps were the Seateam ones!!

Malky

John Cassels
28th October 2011, 19:46
Anyone know how Tommy Isbister is faring ?.

randcmackenzie
28th October 2011, 23:53
Roddy, I recall that Gotaverken shipyard built some OBO's with midships pumprooms but they were not for Seateam. I think they did predate the original Seateam vessels, ie Norvegia and Anglia etc.
These vessels had three cargo pumps, all verticle driven from the enginerrom. " diesels (B&W) and on eturbine for the IG load.

I remember Brian French going on and on(!) about the ANT

regards Malky

Yes, quite correct Malky, but most of them were chartered to Seateam at various times by their separate owners.

I sailed on two - Friendly Ranger and Friendly Carrier.

Both had midships pumprooms.

Ranger had 3 turbine driven pumps with steam delivered along the main deck, through the pumps, then the condenser and the feed went back to the engine room along the tunnel.
The turbines were one flat above the pumps, if I remember correctly.
A small engine room midships, it worked rather well, and getting the aft tanks dry was very easy as their double bottoms were deeper than those on the real 'Team' boats.

Carrier had three pumps midships driven vertically by three Bergen Diesels about main deck level, with exhaust scrubbers on top of the pump room house.

The diesels were pretty much UMS though the engineers used to come along to start them, and a Chinese fitter kept a casual eye on them throughout the discharge.

All worked fine.

They were all almost exactly the same pipework layout as the later Seatem vessels with Red, Green and Yellow lines serving these tank sets.

Re the ANT, I think everybody who was ever on her went on about her for a long time afterwards.

She appears in the Tyne Pride gallery as Everett F. Wells - little did they know the disaster they were releasing to unsuspecting sailors.

B/R,

Roddie.

Malky Glaister
29th October 2011, 00:01
Cheers Roddie, The OBO concept was a good one but done mostly on the cheap. Bergens were good engines but the idea of HP steam going down the deck makes me shudder a bit!
Cheers for the great info Roddie

regards Malky

Malky Glaister
29th October 2011, 06:55
I think Swans probably did know what they were unleashing. They certainly had enough practice what with the big ESSO jobs and all the rest. Glad I missed them all!

regards Malky

Ian Brown
29th October 2011, 15:29
My never to be forgotten experience on the A.N.T. was rushing up to Sullom Voe to relief a C/O who was being dismissed. By the time I was allowed onboard she was all fast and had started discharging ballast to shore. I went into the C.C.R and introduced myself to the C/O as his relief. He said he was going off to speak to the old man. A few minutes later Capt. Isbester phoned down and said 'The Mate's just walked off, can you take over?' I did and we sailed on schedule but I still break into a sweat thinking about it. Discharge was lightering to 60,000 tonners off shore in the Gulf of Mexico. That was also pretty fraught when we had to seperate in a rush when the swell got up. A ship never to be forgotten on many counts.

John Cassels
29th October 2011, 19:27
Was with Denholm a long time , but what was the "ANT" ?.

Also asking again if anyone knows how Tommy Isbister is faring ?.

randcmackenzie
30th October 2011, 00:14
Was with Denholm a long time , but what was the "ANT" ?.

Also asking again if anyone knows how Tommy Isbister is faring ?.

Aghios Nicolaos Thalassaperos (Spelling), previously Everett H Wells, built for Ashland Oil, and operated for them by B & C, I think.

At something more than second hand she came to Denholm as somewhat poorly maintained.

Haven't heard anything of Tommy since several years.

B/R

John Cassels
30th October 2011, 10:06
Thanks Roddie; whilst on holiday in the Promised Land last year , ended up in
Balloch for a meal. Restaurant was just round the corner from Tommy's
house but as his place was in darkness , just left it at that.

muldonaich
30th October 2011, 19:51
heard from his niece a couple of years he was enjoying retirement she was living in barra then brgds kev.

John Cassels
30th October 2011, 20:32
heard from his niece a couple of years he was enjoying retirement she was living in barra then brgds kev.

Thanks for the update Kevin , he sure deserved a well earned
retirement.

muldonaich
30th October 2011, 20:41
i never heard anything but good about him from the the ones that sailed with him brgds kev.

Angus Murray
31st October 2011, 20:49
i never heard anything but good about him from the the ones that sailed with him brgds kev.

Would agree with all comments about Tommy Isbister. Joined the (then new) Avon Bridge with him at Fos,for a 6 month voyage. Was probably not too happy when i called him out of his bed when bound for Le Have for pay off, to report a small red glow on the distant horizon during the 12-4. Incident handled with his usual unflappable personalitty Considerable delay but well worth it as we picked up 10 survivors from liferafts from a Spanish trawler on fire following explosion. Another 2 picked up by another trawler, but 4 others never made it. Landed survivors at Las Palmas.
A true gentleman as everyone on board would vouch for!

John Cassels
1st November 2011, 10:10
Would agree with all comments about Tommy Isbister. Joined the (then new) Avon Bridge with him at Fos,for a 6 month voyage. Was probably not too happy when i called him out of his bed when bound for Le Have for pay off, to report a small red glow on the distant horizon during the 12-4. Incident handled with his usual unflappable personalitty Considerable delay but well worth it as we picked up 10 survivors from liferafts from a Spanish trawler on fire following explosion. Another 2 picked up by another trawler, but 4 others never made it. Landed survivors at Las Palmas.
A true gentleman as everyone on board would vouch for!

Morning Angus ,

Incident was well reported in the Denholm News at the time.

Varley
20th November 2011, 14:36
Steve, Spence,

Can't see later post on John Corrin (your posts 2009) but I run into him occasionally (Laxey is a long, long way from Douglas).

One of his last trips would have been on Trader as her owner's favourite Master (M. De Perrot, spelling? a real merchant prince. Needed strong arm with ship manager to get Sat C fitted only to find out that M. De P happy to have Sat A to chat with John every morning).

Once ashore he was 'Our' deck man in Indonesia and then returned to the Island as Marine super with Dohle. Retired within the last couple of years.

He and Jan seem in good form.

David V

steamship
13th April 2012, 07:41
Anyone know of a captain on the Burmah Legacy called Calum Satchel?. He was brought up on Skye I beleive.

Malky Glaister
13th April 2012, 08:11
Calum is an SN member and posts from time to time

regards
Malky

Calsatch
13th April 2012, 23:04
Thanks to an email from DC Marine I've picked up this one, hope you are well Malcolm too..
Callum

steamship
14th April 2012, 06:34
Thanks to an email from DC Marine I've picked up this one, hope you are well Malcolm too..
Callum

Callum,
I'm not sure if I got your email right but get in touch at **************

email address removed in line with SN policy to avoid you receiving unsolicited messages.
If you send an SN Private Message to Calum, you can exchange details that way. (Thumb)

Malky Glaister
15th April 2012, 10:49
Hi Calum

Yes I am fine thanks! Soldiering on as many of us do!

Thanks and hope all is well with you and all other Diamond D men

regards

Malky

Calsatch
19th April 2012, 15:50
Quick one to say Big Roddies email has been compromised, if you get a plea for
money from the Philippines, BIN IT! If necessary re post thanks
C

rod holroyd
16th May 2012, 15:45
inverewe one of diamond d any photos

A.D.FROST
16th May 2012, 17:18
inverewe one of diamond d any photos

Hope this helps (Thumb)

ccurtis1
17th May 2012, 09:19
We were very fortunate in the 80's/90/s to acquire some excellent people from Denholms, when "V" Ships took over the management of the Cenargo vessels.
Captains Chris Thomas, Bill Harvey, John Millar and the incomparable Bob Cotter.
A couple of Chief Engineers came over too. Walter Muir and Norman Harrison come to mind.
Great guys to sail with, all of them.

Varley
17th May 2012, 20:26
You were not only fortunate in the sea staff that preferred to join LNP et al.

I received a call from one KMG to say that my job was being advertised in Lloyds List. Although too lazy to have considered leaving my comfortable berth I did misuse a photocopier to blow up the advert and leave it prominently in my 'in-tray'. A rather unsuccessful MD of that hour was seen to surreptitiously remove it! (one of my original trainee ETOs got the job I am quite proud to say).

I am sure he was not worried about losing me as an individual but the desertions might have been reminded an interested potential client of rodents, hydrophobia and water ingress.

Names reduced to protect the innocent.

John Cassels
18th May 2012, 08:54
Bob Cotter sadly passed away a few years back.

pjero
18th May 2012, 20:44
I was sailing on Uqba Ibn Nafi as CE with capt. Brian French, Hector Connell and Tom Duncan. I like them all. With Hector and Tom again few times on NCC Baha which was running from Rotterdam to South America. Great time and good ship. My name is Pjero G. and wish all the best to everyone.

pjero
18th May 2012, 20:49
Brian retired probably 10 years ago and believe he is in his cottage. It seems Hector is still active and he is on ferry. Tom left Mideast, same as me, and joined Mitsui. Long time no news from them. However, nice memories.

randcmackenzie
19th May 2012, 00:43
You were not only fortunate in the sea staff that preferred to join LNP et al.

I received a call from one KMG to say that my job was being advertised in Lloyds List. Although too lazy to have considered leaving my comfortable berth I did misuse a photocopier to blow up the advert and leave it prominently in my 'in-tray'. A rather unsuccessful MD of that hour was seen to surreptitiously remove it! (one of my original trainee ETOs got the job I am quite proud to say).

I am sure he was not worried about losing me as an individual but the desertions might have been reminded an interested potential client of rodents, hydrophobia and water ingress.

Names reduced to protect the innocent.

Except the incomparable KMG of the faulty swivel, Dave, we know who he is! Any idea where he is now?

B/R

Varley
19th May 2012, 11:25
Roddy, Last heard he was still putting in the odd day on projects. Anyone in the Highland Policeman's Association will probably know. Had an EMAIL address but I don't practice what I preach and lost all in PC crash. David V

Kenny MacRitchie
16th July 2012, 15:20
Hi Gulpers sailed with J&J 1969-72 on the older iron ore boats,Ormsary, Naess Trader, Dunkyle and Clarkeden all happy ships with one execption the TT Hopepark as GP1 mostly engine room work a very long 6 and half months.
Regards Kenny

oldsalt1
16th July 2012, 16:15
Did the Tommy isbister mentioned in this thread sail with Watts Watts as Old Man on the Gulf Oil tankers in the 60's? Seem to remember the Old man on the Gulf dane in 1964 was named Tommy Isbister.

John Cassels
16th July 2012, 20:11
Did the Tommy isbister mentioned in this thread sail with Watts Watts as Old Man on the Gulf Oil tankers in the 60's? Seem to remember the Old man on the Gulf dane in 1964 was named Tommy Isbister.

yes , Tommy Isbister came to Denholms from Gulf.

Malky Glaister
17th July 2012, 11:34
yes , Tommy Isbister came to Denholms from Gulf.

Tommy did come to Denholm from Watts Watts with
the four Gulf tankers.
Most of the senior officers did not care for J&J for some reason. I suppose no one cares for change.

Two Captains I recall, Wright and Reckner.

I enjoyed eleven months on Gulf Briton as engineer apprentice. 1970 for pity sake!

regards

Malky

Kenny MacRitchie
17th July 2012, 22:16
Hi Gulpers sailed with J&J 1969-72 on the older iron ore boats,Ormsary, Naess Trader, Dunkyle and Clarkeden all happy ships with one execption the TT Hopepark as GP1 mostly engine room work a very long 6 and half months.
Regards Kenny
While browsing through the old posts and knowing most of the ship names mentioned the Turbine Tanker Hopepark {168,000} was missing (not that there was a lot to talk or say about her). J&J managed her but don't know who owned her, she if my memory serves me right had a red and black funnel with a white K cheers (Pint)

Varley
18th July 2012, 01:32
Kenny,

She became the Stonehaven. She had been owned by Pack and Khan (with Pi inside Kapa as the funnel markings - still just visible when I left her in 1975. She shortly after went to lay up in Trinkomlee and thence, scrap).

It is said that the profits she made from carrying the Shah's oil to Israel (necessitating the name and perhaps ownership change) paid for the four Seatrain gas turbine vessels. Of course this would suggest that ownerships did not change.

From Management by Denholm as Hopepark,120 St Vincent Street. She became managed by Stonehaven Shipping Managent 57 Renfield Street (the back door).

I spent three happy years on her as one of two Marconi Sparks, the other being Frank Murphy, but then decided it was more fun to have something interesting to do while consuming the duty free.

In my time the crew were HK Chinese (very fond memories) - many Denholm stalwarts as officers (and some not so stalwart).

David V

Malky Glaister
18th July 2012, 07:35
37 Renfield Street !!! I am a pedantic ****!

regards

Malky

Varley
18th July 2012, 11:27
37 Renfield Street !!! I am a pedantic ****!

regards

Malky
Malky, Stupid of me. And I used the bloody door every day until the move to West George street!

Malky Glaister
18th July 2012, 12:12
Not stupid at all, Varley.

As an apprentice in 1965 I and my mates were forbidden to use the front entrance!

I still look at the doorway when I pass it, very infrequently these days though!

regards

Malky

Varley
18th July 2012, 13:26
Malky,

I don't think I have heard that one before. I do remember that one got keys for the front doors only and had to get to the third floor from above after hours and that the space was patrolled by the bank security (New Construction, where I began, was moved down there soon after I started and it was where the Cargo Simulator stayed until 'the move'). 1965 is well before my anchor swallowing and before my first trip, 1971, too, I am trying to think who might have been in your 'cadre' that I might have sailed or worked with.

Malky Glaister
18th July 2012, 14:14
I'll send you some names in a couple of days or so. I can remember most

regards

Malky

Kenny MacRitchie
18th July 2012, 14:29
Kenny,

She became the Stonehaven. She had been owned by Pack and Khan (with Pi inside Kapa as the funnel markings - still just visible when I left her in 1975. She shortly after went to lay up in Trinkomlee and thence, scrap).

It is said that the profits she made from carrying the Shah's oil to Israel (necessitating the name and perhaps ownership change) paid for the four Seatrain gas turbine vessels. Of course this would suggest that ownerships did not change.

From Management by Denholm as Hopepark,120 St Vincent Street. She became managed by Stonehaven Shipping Managent 57 Renfield Street (the back door).

I spent three happy years on her as one of two Marconi Sparks, the other being Frank Murphy, but then decided it was more fun to have something interesting to do while consuming the duty free.

In my time the crew were HK Chinese (very fond memories) - many Denholm stalwarts as officers (and some not so stalwart).

David V
[QUOTE] David,
Thanks for the reply as i had no idea what became of her after i left. I'm glad you had three happy years on her for she certainly was no happy ship when i sailed on her August 1970 to February 1971 as GP1 Cheers Kenny (Pint)

muldonaich
18th July 2012, 17:08
i think it was black duncan came from watts watts into denholms as mate on the ore carriers he was master with them brgds kev.

John Cassels
18th July 2012, 19:27
Not stupid at all, Varley.

As an apprentice in 1965 I and my mates were forbidden to use the front entrance!

I still look at the doorway when I pass it, very infrequently these days though!

regards

Malky

Was 3rd.year apprentice in 1965 but always came into the office
via 120 St.Vincent Street. How else would one enter mission
control .

Malky Glaister
18th July 2012, 21:46
Very strict, no front door! We all had to go into the office to get our pay once a month. It was some years before I ventured in through 120 St Vincent Street.
Did what you were told in the first couple of years I suppose!
I would still be with Denholms if I could be!

regards

Malky

Erimus
19th July 2012, 08:11
Very strict, no front door! We all had to go into the office to get our pay once a month. It was some years before I ventured in through 120 St Vincent Street.

regards

Malky

Sometime in late 60's I was in Glasgow to see the people at Ravenscraig Works and having visited our own Glasgow Office was dropped off at Browns Hotel....after an 'afternoon tea' I went for a walk around the city and passed the JJ offices,which were still busy. My contacts were tenuous at the time as I had moved away from Agency & Management and was purely scheduling....but stuck my head through door and asked if any of Ship Management team were available..turns out I had struck a bad time as serious accident onboard one of the non-ore vessels meant they were all tied up...so I never got the guided tour hoped for...

geoff

oldsalt1
19th July 2012, 08:50
Also sailed with Capt Reckner on the Gulf Dane. He relieved Tommy Isbister.
Does anyone know how long Denholms held the management of the four Gulf tankers for? I was under the impression that after leaving Watts Watts management in around 1969 they were managed by a Dutch/Belgian company, Gulf Oil Marine Agency N.V. Or maybe this was after leaving Denholms management. They didn't have long lives being scrapped around 1976

Malky Glaister
19th July 2012, 11:46
I seem to recall that the four Gulf tankers would have gone about 1971/2. There was chat amongst the Watts Watts folk looking forward to the new set up in 1970 when I left the Briton. At that time there was a considerable number of Gulf tankers on the coast, eg Gulf Swede and Phillipine Sea. There were also two clean oil ships, Belgulf Progress and Belgulf Glory. The crude tankers served Bantry Bay (Whiddy Island) with refineries around Europe, loading there from the huge Universe ships (at that time huge) with just an ocaisional trip to Cabinda or Escravos.
I enjoyed my time on the Briton. Trying to remember personell but it's a long time ago.
Google Gulf Briton for a bit of info from Teeside where she was built.

regards

Malky

Stephen J. Card
19th July 2012, 12:10

regards

Malky

Malky,

I always used the entrance at No.120. Even rode the lift one day with Sir William and chatted... for all of about 30 seconds.

Went up to the office one day with Ian (JM) Craig... wonder where he is these days.... to claim back the cost of a few text books... Nicoll's Concice Guide Vols 1 & 2. Anyhow, we were shown into Bill Gibb's office who approved our purchases and have us a chit to get the cash from Cash Desk. Ian and I then skipped the remainder of the afternoon at GCNS and headed for the Berni Inn. After the usual prawn cocktail and grilled cow with bottle vino we were just getting started on the Irish coffee when in walks Bill Gibb AND Trevor Hipkin. Frowns but nothing was said.

Stephen

Wee John
19th July 2012, 12:59
I was the year before Malky and can verify that 120 entrance was forbidden,even when I was working in the office as an apprentice. The habit was such that in all my time with J&J the only time I went in the front entrance was when I was made redundant.

Malky Glaister
19th July 2012, 13:03
I was Apprentice before Gibb and Co started.

I do recall on payday coming out of no 37, turning left and heading for the pub just up the road(now closed) even at the age of 15!! Happy days.

regards

Malky

airds
20th July 2012, 04:13
Talking to Bill Gibb exactly 5 weeks ago. Still a gent and in fine form - although he's obviously getting on a wee bit and had a op on his skull a bit back. Neither of us liked to be reminded he gave me my first job 35 years ago!

ps
Stephen - he said you were a typical deckie and you didn't even offer him a drink in that Berni Inn :-)

Stephen J. Card
20th July 2012, 10:49
ps
Stephen - he said you were a typical deckie and you didn't even offer him a drink in that Berni Inn :-)

Ah! Suddenly all comes clear. Now I know why I was sent to WARWICK FORT soon after!!!!

Stephen

Varley
20th July 2012, 11:57
Ah! Suddenly all comes clear. Now I know why I was sent to WARWICK FORT soon after!!!!

Stephen

A GMT, you lucky chap. I thinks she ended up as either Leon or Tiger on the Lavan Island/Eilat run with us (Stonehaven).

muldonaich
21st July 2012, 00:24

Stephengreat ship warwick fort spent a while on her lol kev.

weatherwise
23rd July 2012, 16:03
Did Capts. Campbell Cameron and Angus Ferguson "come in" with Gulf?

Malky Glaister
24th July 2012, 08:36
Did Capts. Campbell Cameron and Angus Ferguson "come in" with Gulf?

I don't recall those names. I did meet most of the Gulf officers having visited the three other tankers, I was on Briton, at Bantry Bay on several occasions.

Some stayed with Denholm and some went with the Tankers.

regards

Malky

Varley
24th July 2012, 11:31
Can only say that Angus Ferguson was on Stonehaven in 1972 and remained with her until he died while on leave. An island gentlemen 'of the first water'.