J & J Denholm

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Gulpers
19th September 2005, 16:09
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga [I](Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

neil maclachlan
19th September 2005, 18:15
Hi Gulpers,
Very interesting reading,a number of Denholm Line ships were registered in my home town of Greenock,I think they were associated with the sugar refineries in Greenock "Tate and Lyle" as lyle originally came from Greenock,also some of their ships were called after parks in Greenock
Reading your list of ships, was the ship( bulk Carrier) "Crystal Cube" not one of theirs,i think she was built in Scotts Yard, I remember her being launched. Scotts is no longer there and was once the oldest shipyard in the world, still in existance up untill they closed her down.
When I was at sea and came across a Denholm Line ship I used to look at their stern and feel very proud to see my home town as it's port of registry.
Neil Maclachlan

Gulpers
19th September 2005, 23:18
Neil,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm originally from Gourock so J & J were my local shipping company too!
You are correct about the '.....park' ships, they were originally owned by Denholms and named after Greenock parks. I think there was a bit of leeway given there because I am not aware of any Scotspark in Greenock!
The town had two sugar refineries, Tate & Lyle and Westburn. The two sugar ships in my list belonged to Tate and Lyle but were managed by Denholms. There were also other 'Sugar' ships which were owned and operated by Sugar Line and Athel Line.

Gulpers
20th September 2005, 09:17
I've just read one of Ruud's posts which has reminded me that the Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier) was also managed by Denholms in the 70s.

Ruud - you have more information than Lloyds at your fingertips!

ruud
20th September 2005, 11:45
I've just read one of Ruud's posts which has reminded me that the Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier) was also managed by Denholms in the 70s.

Ruud - you have more information than Lloyds at your fingertips!
Ahoy Gulpers,
Well I'm using Lloyds Register Shipfinders as well[14 complete series,first dated 1959+ Cd-rom]and do have a large database and photos[+/-300.000] and what I do have is "good looking/searching on the internet" (*))

Gulpers
20th September 2005, 11:57
Good man Ruud - keep up the stalwart work. Your efforts are much appreciated by us all! Thanks again.

neil maclachlan
20th September 2005, 16:58
Hi Gulpers,
Nice to meet a local lad on the internet. Talking about The Park boats,I remember-"The Wellpark, Lylepark,Clunepark and Mountpark" they were called after parks in Greenock district,although I don't know where Mount park was(sounds like a church?) The Burma named ships were they at one time The Burma Oil Company? The Athel tankers used to discharge in The James Watt Dock.
This computer business has made it a small world---great in't it?
Neil

Gulpers
20th September 2005, 19:20
Neil,

Small world indeed. Some of the Park names are a bit of a mystery. There was a Mount School, Mount Kirk, Mount Pleasant Street but I can't think of a Mountpark ........ other than the ship.

Burmah ships - yes all owned by Burmah Oil. Oddly enough Burmah Petrol Stations were not common in Inverclyde but there was one in Cardwell Road, Gourock ..... at the top of Steel Street. The last two Burmah Tankers which Denholms managed were ULCCs "Burmah Endeavour" and "Burmah Enterprise" weighing in at DWT 457841. There is a picture of the "Burmah Endeavour" in the Gallery/Tankers.

baileysan
20th September 2005, 21:21
Re Denholms.
I was involved with Denholm over many years and for three years worked in their Houston Office. We managed, among other very interesting vessels, a Burmpac vessel, Burmpac Bahamas. VLCC built in Italy with 1000mm bore Fiat engines and they were monsters. They also managed two further sisters Blue Fin and Yellow Fin.
Spent many sleepless nights whilst involved.

airds
20th September 2005, 23:16
The smaller bulkers - the 'park boats as previous threads - were actually owned by J. & J. Denholm - while most of the managed stuff was Denholm Ship Management Ltd, so a better title for the forum would probably be just Denholm .....

There was a lot more Parks - to check just plug in denholm in the 'owner' field & leave the others blank - in the ClydeSite Clyde Ships Database (http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/search.asp) - for a good listing of Clydebuilt Denholm ships.

Now just where is that old pile of Denholm News' ..... ???

b.rdgs/back to 16

airds
20th September 2005, 23:26
From the Denholm News' Summer 1980 issue

%<---------------------------------------------------------------

"These two 338,000 tons deadweight ULCCs recently came into management after having been laid up in Loch Striven since being built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for a consortium which went into liquidation before the ships were completed. One of the vessels was laid up for 18 months and the other for 10.
The contract for completion was taken over by Coastal States Corporation of Houston, Texas but the delivery of the vessels has been the subject of arbitration and only at the end of March was agreement finally reached and Denholm given the go-ahead to reactivate them.

It meant an intense, round the clock operation for the Denholm people involved working together with a team put on board by Harland & Wolff, but on 9th May the two vessels were parted from their side-by-side position in the Loch and with the aid of half a dozen tugs Coastal Hercules moved out into the Clyde and then on to Lisbon for drydocking. A few hours later she was followed by her sister.

The contract to manage these vessels was won in the face of very stiff competition from both British and foreign competitors. This is the first time that Denholm has managed ships for Coastal States Corporation. It is expected that the ships’ trading pattern will be between the Middle East and an anchorage off Corpus Christi in the Gulf of Mexico.

Great credit must be given to all who took part in the combined effort of winning the management contract and getting the two ships ready for sea in such a short space of time.

Captain F. Keddie and Chief Engineer Robson are aboard Corpus Christi while Captain W. Coutts and Chief Engineer Moffat are aboard Coastal Hercules.
Footnote: the breaking-out of two such large ships on the one day from Loch Striven was considered to have some news value as well as being an historic occasion, so arrangements were made for both BBC and TV cameramen to be in a helicopter above the two vessels just after their separation.

Both showed the resultant film on their news programmes that same day.
Denholm News was also represented, hoping to get a suitable picture or two for the magazine. Unfortunately, 9th May was the dullest morning in an otherwise glorious six week period and some persistent drizzle made conditions just a bit difficult.

This edition’s cover picture, however, while not as sharp as it might have been in better conditions, certainly captured the event in no uncertain manner.

Length Overall: 36721m
Breadth: 554m
Deadweight: 338,000 tonnes @ 22.5m draft
Shaft HP: 36,000 Harland & Wolff/Stal-Laval steam turbine
Speed: 14.4 Knots
Complement: 12 officers, 22 crew

%<---------------------------------------------------------------

Gulpers
21st September 2005, 00:35
baileysan,

Thanks for your contribution.
Wasn't aware of these ships at all. Sound as if they were a bit of a nightmare........ fully understand your sleepless nights.

Gulpers
21st September 2005, 01:03
Airds,

Brilliant contribution, thank you. Sadly all my copies of Denholm News were binned years ago .... I never thought I'd need them again, so everything is from memory I'm afraid.

I'd forgotten about the Coastal ULCCs, but your pictures brought their story flooding back to me. I now remember the article you quoted from.

Just as an aside, as you can see from me original post (which I will update with the Coastal ships), I sailed on the Nordic Crusader. Flew from Glasgow to Amsterdam and joined the ship in Europort, expecting a quick trip to Vitoria (Brazil) and back to Europort. When I got on board, the Old Man was running about in a fluster trying to find out where Loch Striven was because we were going to lay up. Even worse, we were going into Scott Lithgows in Port Glasgow for a replacement boiler. Oh joy ... thought I was going to Brazil only to pass my house three days later, en route to Port Glasgow. When we eventually escaped from PG, we anchored off Largs for a week, awaiting the Avon Bridge so we could raft together in Loch Striven. We were the first pair of ships in the Loch... it got a bit busy after that!

Many yarns about that lay up , but I'll save them for another time.

Your suggestion about changing the thread title is valid. I thought that the J & J Denholm title would encourage contributions from members who were involved with the company before they followed the management route. OK, Denholms it shall be .... if I can change it.

Fairfield
21st September 2005, 11:32
Loch Striven pics in the Gallery.

Gulpers
22nd September 2005, 19:30
Paul,

Thanks for drawing my attention to the pictures. During my time in the loch, the ships which were laid up were; Nordic Crusader, Avon Bridge, King Richard, King Charles, Mobil Astral and Mobil Daylight.

Chris Smith
24th September 2005, 00:26
Hi Gulpers,
Very interesting reading,a number of Denholm Line ships were registered in my home town of Greenock,I think they were associated with the sugar refineries in Greenock "Tate and Lyle" as lyle originally came from Greenock,also some of their ships were called after parks in Greenock
Reading your list of ships, was the ship( bulk Carrier) "Crystal Cube" not one of theirs,i think she was built in Scotts Yard, I remember her being launched. Scotts is no longer there and was once the oldest shipyard in the world, still in existance up untill they closed her down.
When I was at sea and came across a Denholm Line ship I used to look at their stern and feel very proud to see my home town as it's port of registry.
Neil Maclachlan
Very interested in your comments about the Park ships from Greenock. The original Lylepark was built in 1929 and having read the Denholm History pblished a few years ago I was under the impression that their ships were a;ll named after local beautyspots......As an ex-navigator myself I was always under the impression that the Lylepark was a "sugar" boat so it is interesting to note that it might well have been the park rather than the ship which was connected to Lyle Sugar refining.....

Chris

Chris Smith
24th September 2005, 00:32
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 86 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (OBO), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Lylepark (Bulk Carrier), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga [I](Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)
In your list you mention that the Lylepark is a bulk carrier.in the photo I am currently looking at of the second Lylepark taken in 1951 she is plainly a conventional cargo ship,,,,does this mean that there was a third Lylepark?

Chris

Gulpers
24th September 2005, 06:13
Chris,

Thank you for your valuable comment. I see from the internet that you have spent some considerable time researching the Lylepark(s). I must admit that, as I said in my original posting, I am working from memory and there is every chance that I am mistaken. It could be that, since I’m originally from the Greenock area, over time, I have convinced myself that there was a 70s Lylepark. I’ll amend the original list accordingly.

At least I’ve achieved my original objective which was to engender some discussion about Denholms. They were such a large company from the late 60s to early 80s, I would have thought there would be more input on the site.

Could you possibly give me Publisher’s details and the ISBN of the Denholm’s history which you mentioned? I would love to get my hands on a copy.

Thanks again and keep correcting any more mistakes I’ve made!

raybeti
24th September 2005, 23:25
Further vessels to add to the list "Warwick Fort" "Fort St. Cathrine", "Naess Sovereign", Naess Champion" "Vivien Louise"(1959 - 1962) there were quite a few more Naess ships which I can not remember off hand.

Raybeti

Iain Lourie
29th September 2005, 00:32
Gulpers, The Gallic Bridge was a bulkie not an OBO :)

Any pics of her around?

Gulpers
29th September 2005, 09:23
Iain,

Thanks ........ the more contributions we get, the more accurate the list will become.

John Cassels
29th September 2005, 09:34
Came across this site purely by accident and have sailed on many in Gulpers list.
Just joined.
Denholms from 1963 - 1981.
Name's John Cassels also originally from Gourock but came ashore in 1981 in
Antwerp and been here ever since.
Must be plenty old diamond "D"s out there
JC

Gulpers
29th September 2005, 10:13
John,

Welcome to the site. Any help you can give to bolster the Denholms info would be appreciated. As you say, there must plenty old "Diamond D's" out there.

Gulpers
29th September 2005, 10:38
Guys,

Steve has set up a new forum titled J & J Denholm. I've asked if he could possibly tranfer this thread to the new location after a couple of days.

R58484956
29th September 2005, 13:15
Welcome to the site John C you are now amongst the sea/ship loving fraternity.

John Cassels
29th September 2005, 14:36
Another few for the list and these are only the ones I sailed on;

Naess Cavalier 1965
Naess Pioneer 1969
Naess Talisman 1968
Jersey Bridge 1970
Baknes 1970
Clarkeden 1972

Morar was the free pistoned gas engine and holds a place in the history
books as the only British ship to pass Cape Wrath 5 times in one day
with the ships head on the same heading. Morven was a geared bulk
carrier.

Don't think the "drunken Duncan"was the cadet ship, that was the Crinan.

Cast Narwal was (if my memory is correct) not an OBO but designed only
for oil or ore.
Not trying to not-pick chaps ! only trying to help things along
JC

Gulpers
29th September 2005, 18:10
John,

Good man! Thanks for the input. I'll get the changes made later. With help like this we'll soon have a more accurate list.

There were so many of the ships which changed names, they will appear on the list more than once. An example being one of my old ships - Nordic Crusader. Started life as Naess Crusader then Nordic Crusader then Cast Fulmar ....... left Denholms ..... then Marinicki then Mount Athos I and finally Mount I ....... then she was scrapped!

John Cassels
29th September 2005, 19:56
Nordic Crusader was also one of my old nightmares, should have been scrapped at birth.
Gulpers, sent you a private. As I'm new to this site, hope you get it.

In general, Denholm ships were one thing, but there must be a lot of fond memories about the Denholm legends eg. some of the Masters;
anyone remember sailing with (for example ) J.J."Harpic"Rose or D."Black Duncan"MacDonald. The memories start to flood back.

Denholms also had what we called the Gourock navy. I remember sailing as 2nd.mate with "wee jock"mcVicar on the Jersey Bridge around 1970.Him and me used to play partners at table tennis most evenings (before the days of videos on board) and it was always Gourock v The World.

Happy days and happy memories

Jc

Gulpers
29th September 2005, 23:59
John,

Sailed with J J Rose on Erskine Bridge.

How about - Sh1thouse Taylor, Dougie Naismith, Jim Gray, Ian Jackson, Tommy Isbister, Ian Ramsey, Ian Graham, Jim Nichol, John Houghton, ? Ridley, ? Merrick, ? (Childish) Wildish ...... not forgetting Norman Angus on the GTVs ...... That'll do for a start.

John Cassels
30th September 2005, 20:15
Ref.the Gourock navy here is my list of the ones I know of;

J.McVicar Master, sailed with him on Jersey Bridge,Baknes,Conon Forest
R.Macmillan Master nearly did a run job with him delivering Queen mary
II to her ignominious end on the Thames -around 1970.
D.Balloch A chief eng never to be forgotten, sailed with him on Atholl
Forest,
R.M.MacMllan Ch.off. Sailed with him once on Naess Cavalier 1964.
Stuart Cameron Went to australia just after 2nd.mates and died there
very young - early 70's.
Sloan Kelly Cadet on the Crinan , never heard of him again
Frank Brown Fellow apprentice on Crinan and Dunkyle 1964,never seen
him since.
Then there's me and Gulper.
Stir any memories.............anyone i've missed ??

JC

Pilot mac
30th September 2005, 21:58
Gulpers,

what about ADVARA, I think she was Denholms managed geared bulk carrier converted to a geared container ship, I may be wrong?

regards
Dave

Gulpers
1st October 2005, 00:50
Pilot mac,

Yes you are correct, thanks for that, she's another one I forgot. When I get a moment I'll update the list ......promise!

Gulpers
1st October 2005, 00:53
John,

What about Neil Smart. He was on the GTVs from Junior up to 3rd, or possibly even 2nd Engineer.

neil maclachlan
1st October 2005, 01:12
Hi Fellow Clydesiders,
You talk about the Gourock Navy---the only navy Gourock had was Ritchies Ferrys?
Neil Mac.

Iain Lourie
1st October 2005, 03:36
Additions to list of the Glezga Greeks ships :)

Hopepark (Ex Esso something or other. From memory Esso deline to take delivery of her and D wound up with her somehow) Used to ply the Arab - Israeli oil run.. 4 months on 4 months off. Real dodgy lifestyle back then.

Iain Lourie
1st October 2005, 03:43
Another addition to ships list:

Darius - Tanker? - had a fire in ?? Rotterdam?? One crew member died..?? around 1969-70-ish

John Cassels
1st October 2005, 10:19
Darius was a bulk carrier , I think,
Was Advara not the old "Conon Forest after she was converted ?.

Ritchie's ferries - M.V.Granny Kempock et al. - all aboard for Kilcreggan.

didn't know of a Neil Smart.

Nearly included John Gatherer but he was from Fort Matilda. He spent a lot of time on the Hopepark on the Israeli oil run. Last met John just after starting to work for Cast in Antwerp. John was Master on the Cast Fulmar discharging in Rotterdam and went up to visit him. Soon after , he went to the States to work for a firm in New York.
Had an accident on one of their ships and died as a result of some sort of poisoning , I think. Terrible shame , grand chap. Did my pre-sea with him at Greenock 1962.

JC

tanker
1st October 2005, 11:40
Dear friend if you want you can see the shot of GLENPARK i Historic shipping line and ships!!!
rgds
Gp

John Cassels
1st October 2005, 12:26
How silly of me, Granny Kempock did the Helensborough run.
Lady Jane Ritchie did Kilcreggan.

JC

neil maclachlan
1st October 2005, 19:28
Hi Seafarers,
This is for the Gourock lads, I was sitting out on Cardwell Bay going out for a sail on a friends sailboat when suddenly around the corner at Fort Matilda appeared my favourite river steamer " PS Waverley" I snapped 3 shots the middle one was a beauty,after proccessing my son who is a technical illustrator made a air brush painting of the photograph,I'm quite proud of it. My problem is how to get it onto this web site,it will make the Gourock lads homesick? it does to me.
Regards Neil Mac.

airds
1st October 2005, 19:50
Go to the the Gallery - click the link at top of this page - click UPLOAD photo, pick the most suitable category from the drop list (use the down arrow), browse to the file on your computer, complete any other options as necessary, Upload/Submit .....

Gulpers
2nd October 2005, 09:22
John,

Have a look in the Gallery. Would you believe that japottinger has some shots of the Granny Kempock - also, if you search for MFV, you will find some of his shots of the admiralty MFVs that used to lie in the Great Harbour.

Will email later, doing yachty things today!

Gulpers
2nd October 2005, 09:26
Neil,

Excellent! Would love to see your picture. Airds' advice should help you post it. I still see Waveley on occasions down here on Anglesey - good to see the old girl churning along! (Thumb)

CLANSMAN
4th October 2005, 14:09
John

I think the Advara was originally the Kyoto Forest. I was on the Conon Forest when
the Advara was sailing

Best wishes

CLANSMAN

Iain Lourie
10th October 2005, 11:20
Hi,

Clunepark - I see she is listed as a bulk carrier.... I thought she was a cargo tramp.... maybe it was a previous one....???

:)

Freo
4th November 2005, 10:32
I sailed on the Naess Patriot (Bulker) 69,903 GRT and the Swiftness 12,980 GRT.
My discharge book has an H.CLARKSON & CO. LTD stamp for the Swiftness, and a
DENHOLM LINE STEAMERS LTD stamp for the Naess Patriot.
Cheers,
Neil

ARRANMAN35
4th November 2005, 21:50
Hi,

Clunepark - I see she is listed as a bulk carrier.... I thought she was a cargo tramp.... maybe it was a previous one....???

:)

Yes you are correct, she was General Cargo Ship, bought whilst building in
Japan for Greek owners in the mid to late fifties.

EMMESSTEE
6th November 2005, 05:38
Do any of you remember an incident in 1971 involving, I think it was, the "Naess Champion" off Albany, Western Australia?

She was a large (for those days, anyway) crude tanker with a midships bridge, I think she was bound from Geelong, Victoria to probably the Gulf but we came across her completely broken down and dead in the water just south of Albany in a typical SW'ly gale just after daylight in the 4-8 watch one morning. I was C/O of the 5976 grt Australian coastal containership "Kooringa" (Melbourne bound for Fremantle) at the time and recall thinking not all looked well with this big tanker, sitting high in the water and obviously drifting. I can remember calling on VHF and getting no response, even using the aldis lamp with no response and it wasn't until our R/O came on watch at 0800 that he got a very weak signal from the tanker requesting assistance.

To cut a long story short, we went back to her and expended eight rockets trying to get a line aboard her (I remember that we got as far as having a polyprop between us at one stage, I don't recall she made any attempt to get a line to us?) but in the end we stood by her until her Master decided he was out of immediate danger. Even if we'd managed to get a line aboard, I doubt we'd have been able to tow her - didn't ever get exact details of what happened to her in the end, but I believe a tug went out from Albany initially and eventually the Fremantle salvage tug took her in tow and she went to Singapore for repairs?

Can anyone confirm?

--------------------
Mike.

janbonde
6th November 2005, 19:58
Hello to the Denholm forum the Master of the Coastal Hercules Billy Coutts was the last time I was in Sullom Voe Skipper on the tugs that service the port,and another Master Jim Anderson of Denholms was a pilot in the same place,Jim Anderson was also involved in interviewing prospective applicants from Shetland prior to them being sent south for an interview and engaged as cadets in their ship management outfit Clyde Marine

contals
15th November 2005, 23:46
Hi
I am new to this forum
Some more of Denholms ships
Sig Ragne
Bibi
Scotstoun
Bern
Al Dhafrah

But there's one missing. To say I sailed on her is not accurate, in a four month trip we weighed anchor and moved two miles to get a better TV Picture off Khor Fakkan. The fishing was especially good during this trip.

I ran the bar on this ship and figured if I could run a pub ashore with the income like that I could make a living out of it. I am sorry to re awaken a nightmare but does anyone remember .................................................. .................................................. ........
DALMA

Out of all the engineers who sailed with Denholms how many remember this one

Robinj
19th November 2005, 00:09
I sailed in 1962 as a Sparks on a Denholm managed ship the Naess Clarion a 35000 ton Bulk carrier. We sailed from Dunkirk to Trinidad carrying Bauxite to Mobile In the states for about Six months then Venezuela to Baltimore. Thence Newport News to Tobata with a cargo of Coal. Thence to Peru to Bremerhaven where we paid off, quite a good trip on the whole.

John Cassels
19th November 2005, 09:35
Sailed on the sister ship Naess Cavalier as 3rd.trip deck apprentice in 1964.
Spent 15 happy months on board. They were good ships.

JC

douglasjamesmichael
22nd November 2005, 18:55
I was looking at your list do remember these old relics

Dalma, Sig Ragne, Permina Samundra 14th......

Can any one remember Hughie Newton - "high commissioner" of Paisley...he was the "fridgie" on the three Loch Boats...

Rgds
Doug

douglasjamesmichael
22nd November 2005, 19:03
Hi Doug Here Loch Long, Sig Ragne, Nordic Commander etc etc etc...Diamond D found out I served my time at Weirs Cathcart - and as Steam Engr...Anyway I sailed with J Houghton on the Loch Long - any one remember the following Chief's " Granny" Mitchell, John "Fred Flintstone" Deacon
Rgds

John Cassels
22nd November 2005, 20:07
Evening Doug,
Sailed with "Granny"on the Naess Talisman 1968. Was always complaining if he had to run the ME at over 105 rpm. When his son came down with a tummy ache we diverted to Hong Kong to land him - at 114 rpm.
Jimmy Deacon, sailec with him a few times but can't remember when.

rgds

JC

Gulpers
22nd November 2005, 20:37
Douglas,

Welcome to the site and specifically this thread.
Don't recognise the Chiefs you refer to but had the 'pleasure'?!? of sailing with Captain Houghton on Vancouver Forest when she was a box boat. Look forward to seeing your Loch Long pictures. (Thumb)

douglasjamesmichael
22nd November 2005, 22:04
I forgot to mention in my last mail Capt Cotter who I sailed with on the
Sig Ragne, Loch Maree & Loch lomond.
I remember Personnel, Ian Ramsey-Lewis...he was ex Weir's...offering me the Hopepark - they were going to get me another passport due to the charter she was on, I can't remember if she was another Liberian ship....When the telegram arrived I ended up at Port Dampier.....

I remember the Nordic Commander, when she was getting built at Lithgows, we were carrying out dock trials prior to going on acceptance trials, drydocking at Lisnave - Lisbon and back to Lithgows....

We were running up..one of the the Boiler Feed Pumps, a Weir T.W.L. - Turbine Water Lubricated - 2 stage Pump....the steam exhaust pressure was going through the roof - sorry deckhead...and we shut down, to cut a long story short, the pump had to come out, go back to Weir's for inspection, meanwhile we checked out the pipelines and we found a TOOLBOX welded to the interior of the pipe about 2ft in from the Flange face...As you can imagine a court of enquiry was set up...

Anyone remember this one engineering mishap....

Also....

Captain Thorpe.... Jeremy's Brother.....Troll Park...

Does anyone remember the extra Volvo??????

John Cassels
23rd November 2005, 09:12
Doug.
Missed your earlier reference to Hughie Newton. Yes, sailed with him on the Trollpark
around 1970. We paid off together in Hamburg and were booked on an early flight
to Newcastle. The airport was pretty well deserted at that time in the morning .
Probably through boredom, the booking in clerk was very friendly and talkative and said that if we had never been to Hamburg before, we would get a good view of the city as the weather was so clear. I could see Hughie shaping up for one of his
sarcastic replies and sure enough. It was something along the lines that he had flown over Hamburg before but that time the weather wasn.t so good. The bombaimer coudn't get a decent view due to clouds.

Bob Cotter was last heard of standing by a Spanish ferry on the Gib.straits run.

Also sailed with Malcolm Thorpe on the Trollpark.

Rgds

JC

Neil McInnes
23rd November 2005, 11:27
I sailed on the Dealmouth 64. 11 month 8 days. We done the season on the lakes. I am also from Gourock / Barra. I remember Sloan Kelly and Stuart Cameron. I met Stuart in Melbourne where he was Stevedoring. He died from cancer.
Rgds
Neil McInnes

James_C
23rd November 2005, 13:51
Anyone know John MacKinnon (Barra) and Alan Haggerston (South Shields), the former ending up as C/O, and the latter as 2/E?

gdynia
23rd November 2005, 14:29
Sailed on the above managed by Denholms - I believe theyve changed their name to Anglo Eastern now any truth in this

John Cassels
23rd November 2005, 20:13
G'day Neil.
Interesting you should mention Stuart Cameron. We were at Gourock High school
(the old one in Binnie street) then did pre sea (Watt college) together 1962/63.
I knew Stuart died out in Aussie quite some time ago,but this is the first time I've
heard his name mentioned in many years. How well did you know him. There are others from the old class who would also like to know.

brgds

JC

douglasjamesmichael
23rd November 2005, 20:17
Billy Sclater - he was a Deck Apprentice on the Loch Long, there was another apprentice Raymond Heeps, Billy came from Orkney and Raymond was from Falkirk.
Also Terry Lunt 3rd mate, he was from Liverpool, Dave Aitchison 3rd Engineer from Glasgow, Ian Powrie 3rd Engr from Callander, Norman Smith 4th Engr from Lewis, Bob Johnson 2nd from Ardrossan. Hughie Newton he rotated with 4 other "fridges" on a 3 month on 1.1/2 month off basis...I cannot remember the other "fridges" just Hughie, see what an affect he had on me....

On the Loch Long, Bob had his wife Brenda and son Chris onboard, Chris was only about 4 at the time, we had just left Bahia Blanca Argentina for the second time with a cargo of grapes....Hughie as always went down the holds to check temperatures etc etc.. and always brought up grapes for Chris and the rest of us...

He left a large bunch in the Wardroom for us all to enjoy after the "Barbie" that night. Chris sneaked in and took several grapes - only to be spotted by Hughie, having a Temp gauge attached to a lanyard hanging loosely around his neck, kidded young Chris into thinking it was his "Grape Detector" - He kidded him on that he'd counted out all the grapes in the bunch and he was going to be charged for the grapes that he'd eaten.....The wee lad just burst into tears.....
he also had his own White Mug - emblazoned on the side was;-S.H.A.T.
Slim
Handsome
Atheletic
Third

I Wonder what happened to Hughie, you do not get many characters like him nowadays you never had a straight face for long when he was around, God bless him.

9th April 1975
There is one story I must tell as this is him to a "T" - To be fair he never touched a drop when there was a Reefer Cargo aboard and fair play to him.
We had discharged The cargo of Grapes in Rotterdam - Queen Beatrixhaven-
and were due to sail at Midnight, Hughie went shoreside mid afternoon to get some dobbie powder...10 to midnight the pilot was aboard, Tugs alongside, Steering gear Checked, Engine Turned but no Hughie....0ne minute to midnight - in the distance... up the dock - this shadowy staggering figure with a large carton by one side, counterbalancing...no doubt a carton of Dobbie Powder. 00.10 Hughie made it to the Gangway...he was assisted onboard by the deck crowd, waving up to the Bridge, while being helped onboard....thanks for waiting.....we never saw him for three days after...

Well I met Bob quite by accident earlier on this year in Roche at Dalry where he is an Engineer.

willall
24th November 2005, 00:06
silverbrige was my first trip owned by silver line managed by Denholms,
I sent an E-mail asking for the pictures of the ships I was on next day they were on the PC. Great company.

willall
24th November 2005, 00:08
I've got pictures of all the ships I sailed with Denholms, ask Denholms

willall
24th November 2005, 00:19
I was senior cadet on the wellpark almost shot in Cyria, what a life we had as cadets

willall
24th November 2005, 00:26
Captain Houghton
sailed with him on th Vavouver Forrest Great captain

gdynia
24th November 2005, 03:30
Did any members come across the Campbell Brothers who sailed in Denholms in te 60/70,s both hailed from Glasgow and both Chief Engineers.

muldonaich
25th November 2005, 10:50
have to agree with you willie he was ok best regards kevin.

muldonaich
25th November 2005, 18:50
i was realy sorry to hear about john gatherer he was 3rd mate when we took out the hopepark new i knew his parents the had a wool company called gatherer and son w couts was 2nd mate w mccall mate f botham old man i have sailed with just about everyone mentioned so far hughie was mugged in new york for the price of a postage stamp did he ever tell that story to anyone else regards kevin.

John Cassels
25th November 2005, 20:26
Don't get carried away Kevin, we are all (in a way) Denholms lost sheep.

JC

John Cassels
25th November 2005, 20:31
Kevin ,further to my PM , we must have sailed together on the GTV's.

rgds

JC

muldonaich
25th November 2005, 20:52
yes john we sailed together on a couple of ships the last ship i sailed on was cast husky we took her out new from ulsan bob cotter old man terry something was mate he did his first trip to sea with me then malky thomson took over he came down to barra to see me a few months ago but i was out in hospital at the time are you still working for cast in antwerp barra john sends his regards hes still alive and kicking bob lamb phoned me last year said he was coming on a biking holiday but did not appear i sailed with him a few times a real gentleman regards kevin.

willall
26th November 2005, 00:08
Kevin if youre still in touch with him give him my phone number he was mate on the vacouver forrest and you the bosun and Alick the Moss chief Stewart along with Houghton the old man , ....What a team!!!!
I think I was in every container on deck on that ship....lol, 4-8 was a hard watch

R58484956
26th November 2005, 13:02
Welcome mudonaich to the site enjoy all it has to offer and the banter that goes with it.

tom nicholson
26th November 2005, 18:10
HI ALL never went to see but have ships in my blood by working in shiprepair for fifty years on the tyne i remember working on a tanker at smiths docks in the sixtys sure she was one of denholms she was the NORSCOT.

ruud
26th November 2005, 18:42
Ahoy Tom,
If this is the right one you can see her at this link:
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=5098

ARRANMAN35
26th November 2005, 21:15
Hi,

Can confirm that she was managed and, I think part owned, by Denholms.
Did a "memorable" nearly 10 month trip on her in 1959, starting out as 4/E.
Engine room complement was boosted to eleven including two leckies,
The trials and tribulations have stayed with me and prepared me for greater
challenges in my later seagoing career.

willall
28th November 2005, 23:56
John Gatherer was mate on the Silverbridge had his wife and 2 kids on board Andrew and James I think, great memories.

Gulpers
29th November 2005, 00:11
mudonaich,

Sailed with Barra John many times on Asiafreighter and Asialiner. What a character - wouldn't allow anyone to use the loo when passing Barra. I think the real reason was that he didn't want to pollute the 'swag' that he dumped over the wall for the Barra fishing boats to collect from our wake! (Applause)

gdynia
29th November 2005, 01:01
mudonaich,

Sailed with Barra John many times on Asiafreighter and Asialiner. What a character - wouldn't allow anyone to use the loo when passing Barra. I think the real reason was that he didn't want to pollute the 'swag' that he dumped over the wall for the Barra fishing boats to collect from our wake! (Applause)

Gulpers

Did you ever come across a Deck cadet on these vessels in the 70,s called Colin Alston hailed from Isle of Skye

Gulpers
29th November 2005, 11:23
Gulpers

Did you ever come across a Deck cadet on these vessels in the 70,s called Colin Alston hailed from Isle of Skye
gdynia,

No, sorry. Don't recognise Colin Alston's name. I spent my GTV time on Asiafreighter and Asialiner, although mostly on Asialiner. Maybe Colin was on Eurofreighter or Euroliner! (Thumb)

willall
30th November 2005, 20:06
Gulpers

Colin joined the Vancouver forrest as I was leaving, lives a couple of miles from me, caught me out last weekend as we were out for dinner I fell asleep on the couch next thing remote control in my had watching the porn on sky, wife still not talking!!!!

willall
30th November 2005, 21:15
Know Colin Alston very well lives close by

Gulpers
30th November 2005, 21:35
willall,

Time for Colin to join SN. We need more Denholms guys! (Thumb)

Hugh Wilson
1st December 2005, 10:13
The Burmah Endeavour and Burmah Enterprise were sold to Stena and became the Stena King and the Stena Queen. Stena operated them very successfully until 2004 when they were both sold to China for scrapping. I believe the breakers paid US $21 million for each ship - not bad when you consider that Stena had bought them for US $11 million each 18 years previously.

I was 2R/O on the Dunkyle back in 1969 and then went back to Denholms as ETO in the Alcan fleet from 1996 to 1999 (Northern Progress and Northern Enterprise). I also did 4 m onths as ETO on the Bader 111, a 21 year old livestock carrier carrier managed by Denholms and trading from Fremantle to the Middle East and Mediterranean area. When I left and went to work on a new VLCC, I though I'd died and gone to heaven.

trotterdotpom
1st December 2005, 13:34
I was 2R/O on the Dunkyle back in 1969 ....

I was also RO on 'Dunkyle' (about '72). Recall sandstorms near Nouadhibou almost halting my progress down aft to the bar, but dumping half of Timbuktoo on my head wasn't going to keep me from my Tennants!

John T.

willall
1st December 2005, 19:40
was that tennants thistle?

willall
1st December 2005, 19:44
[QUOTE=Gulpers]willall,

Time for Colin to join SN. We need more Denholms guys! (Thumb)[/QUOTE

Colin is here, but not yet out of the locker, he will come clean.....lol

gdynia
1st December 2005, 19:55
Know Colin Alston very well lives close by
Give him my regards Willwall woke up many a morning at college with a Colin Planted Tree in my Bed - Usually Holly

Tom Morton
4th December 2005, 23:12
To the best of my recollection I sailed on the following Denholm vessels in the years 58 to 64. Have some photos somewhere that I will try to dig out.

Naess Trader
Naess Favorita
Clunepark
Lylepark
Scotstoun
Norscot
Crinan
Clarkavon

My first ship was the 'Needles' (the only deep sea vessel in Clyde Shipping Co) where I was Cadet; after about two runs on the ore trade I figured out I was cheap labour. Docked in Irlam and told the skipper I wanted a discharge (did not have indentures)---he told me I could not leave !! I pointed to the taxi on the dock and told him 'bye bye'. Shortly thereafter I signed indentures with Denholm. The Needles followed me to Denholm some time later and got a new name.

Gulpers
4th December 2005, 23:45
Tom,
Welcome to the Denholm thread. We'll look forward to seeing your photographs when you get a chance.
Re-naming ships. Yes, that was a dirty trick! I almost got caught by that one a couple of times too! (Thumb)

DCMARINE
5th December 2005, 14:22
I note you mention the Denholm History published a few years ago. I did not know such a thing existed and would be obliged if you could direct me to where to get a copy.
Donald Campbell

DCMARINE
5th December 2005, 14:42
Ormsary (Ore Carrier), Naess Parkgate (Bulk Carrier), Kyoto Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Swiftnes (Geared Bulk Carrier) [owned by Jebsens], Severn Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Vancouver Trader (Bulk Carrier) [owned by Trader Navigation, London].
Donald Campbell

John Cassels
5th December 2005, 15:07
THink the "Needles"became the "Naess Trader".

JV

muldonaich
5th December 2005, 20:31
think your right john norman angus came into denholms as old man on the needles

ARRANMAN35
5th December 2005, 21:21
Tom,
Needles, ex Clyde shipping came into to Denholms as the Wellpark.

I sailed on some of the ships you mention, from memory the Norscot
and Clarkavon, spent a good deal of time on the Craigallian.

Sailed with N.Angus on the Craigallian where he was C/O.

Tom Morton
6th December 2005, 01:34
cannot remember the name of Skipper when I was on Needles---it will come to me in time . Do remember the 1st Mate----- Legg----first name Harry I believe!!
I was a 17 year old cadet and eager to learn, they had limits when I could be on the bridge or in the chart room!!! Chief Eng was a Scot and told me to get out and go with some other company, cannot remember his name but am forever indebted to him since he gave me the 'guts' to walk off the ship.

Don Sangster
6th December 2005, 05:40
Joined the Mountpark in early 1954 did 9 months running hurricane alley from MACKENZIE
City British Guiana to Port Alfred in Canada with bauxite she was a convential cargo ship
Don Sangster

Gulpers
6th December 2005, 06:06
Thanks Don. I really must find time to update/correct that original list of ships. (Thumb)

DCMARINE
6th December 2005, 13:08

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga [I](Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)
A few more names:
Naess Clansman (Tanker), Scotstoun (Cargo), Morven (Bulk ?), Clarkavon (Ore Carrier).

Gulpers
6th December 2005, 21:31
Donald (DCMarine),

Were you 2/O on Troll River in September 1972? (Thumb)

DCMARINE
7th December 2005, 12:54
Hi Gulpers,
Have dug out the old Discharge book and yes I was 2/0 on the Troll River from May to December 1972 under big Jim Nicol.
Have just found this site which is what was needed and have advised a few ex-Diamond D guys, of which there were quite a few in the North Sea, of it.
Suggested to "Friendsreunited" some time ago that they should include a section for seafarers and Nautical Colleges on their site but got no response.
Regards,
Donald Campbell

Gulpers
7th December 2005, 13:35
Donald,

Well, small world! Troll River was my first trip as Cadet!
I flew out to Genoa with Big Jim to join. I felt like a pratt, dressed up in the Denholm blazer, tie, grey flannels etc - well I didn't know any better, did I? Big Jim didn't speak a word on the whole journey - that is, until the taxi dropped us at the foot of the accommodation ladder - then it was a gruff "get my f'n bags to my cabin, young man!"
Who else can I remember? Alan Dunn C/O, Ian MacDonald 3/O, Kenny MacDonald Deck Cadet, Jimmy Halbert C/E, Bob Todd 2/E, Ian MacAskill 3/E, Willie Allan Lecky, Tommy ? Crane Engineer, Charlie Moncur 3/E, Alan Hill 4/E, Keith (Hastings?) Eng Cadet, Terry Horsefield Sparky, (Sandy?) (?) Chief Steward, Donald or Duncan MacKinnon CPO, Willie Hudson PO, Ian Grant GP, Tommy Blackadder GP ...... can you remember any more?
Slainte
Ray Carson (Thumb)

DCMARINE
7th December 2005, 15:06
Hi Gulpers,
Your memory is obviously a lot better than mine but when I see the names I remember some of them. Alan Dunn (C/O) - did he not have something to do with Tunnocks Biscuits. Ian MacAskill was also from Skye. His late brother in law, Duncan MacDonald, was a Lecky in Denholms at some stage. They both lived in Dunvegan where Colin Alston, who someone was enquiring about, lives now. Colin is now Pier Master with Highland Council.
Rgds,
Donald Campbell

Gulpers
7th December 2005, 15:16
Hi Gulpers,
Your memory is obviously a lot better than mine but when I see the names I remember some of them. Alan Dunn (C/O) - did he not have something to do with Tunnocks Biscuits. Ian MacAskill was also from Skye. His late brother in law, Duncan MacDonald, was a Lecky in Denholms at some stage. They both lived in Dunvegan where Colin Alston, who someone was enquiring about, lives now. Colin is now Pier Master with Highland Council.
Rgds,
Donald Campbell
Donald,
Didn't ever know Duncan MacDonald and likewise, never met Colin!
Alan Dunn - yes he had a connection with the biscuit folk, "Gray Dunn Caramel Wafers". Alan had spent quite a time in South Africa - Port Elizabeth I think! (Thumb)

John Cassels
7th December 2005, 19:49
Donald,

Ever come across Roddy MacSween - fellow slave on the Crinan 1963.

Visited him once about 30 years ago in Dunvegan but don't remember much
about the weekend.

JC

DCMARINE
8th December 2005, 11:37
There were two Roddy MacSweens (cousins) in Denholms - one from Broadford, Skye (this is probably the one you were with) and the other from Harris. Roddy (Broadford) has been running his own Marine Consultantcy here in Aberdeen for some years (now semi-retired) and in contact with him - sent him details about the site so he may come on line. Roddy (Harris) has been on the navy boats in Kyle for longer than he would care to remember.
I was one of the Crinan slaves from July '64.
There used to be a lot of ex - Diamond D guys here in the North Sea - who else was in your intake?
Donald

John Cassels
8th December 2005, 13:24
G'day Donald.

Yes you're correct , the Roddy I knew was indeed from Broadford. Amazing how age
rots the memory. If you are in touch with him please give him my best.

Others in my intake;
John Jackson
John Gatherer
Frank Brown
Sam ( Bryce) Brown
Stewart Cameron
Rod Holroyd
Sandy Cathro
Dereck Wickens
Am not at home right now but will revert with the rest of the class later.

JC

John Cassels
8th December 2005, 19:43
Okay,back home now;
two I missed are Hamish MacKay and Gavin Brownlie plus myself and Roddy makes
We all paid off in Jan.'64 so you would be in the next intake but one.

JC

DCMARINE
9th December 2005, 11:21
John,
Spoke to Roddy yesterday and he has since come on line.
Donald

DCMARINE
9th December 2005, 11:32
John,
There was a MacKay on the MAR with me and I think it might have been Hamish.
The Life History of ALL the B.I.S.C. Ore Carriers (The Iron Ladies) is given in Records 23, 24,& 25 of Ships in Focus - makes very interesting reading. The "Ormsary" was the 1st built (1952) followed by the "Gleddoch" in 1953.
Donald

muldonaich
9th December 2005, 20:41
took gleddoch out of river fal after iron ore slump in the sixties stood by her down there just down from king harrys ferry great place big mac chonachie was chief off cromarty was old man davies welshman chief eng r l stevenson 3rd mate jimmy gardiner bosun i think vic green was chief stwd the only one that sticks in my memory as clear as a bell was basil leach eng from greenock he was a great guy one of the old school!!!! does anyone remember old george the old man .

muldonaich
10th December 2005, 10:43
sorry made a mistake on last posting johnston was old man think he came from shetlands regards kev

R58484956
13th December 2005, 15:56
Welcome John to the site enjoy all it has to offer, I am not a denholms man, but ex p&o/cunard (got to get a plug in) A merry christmas to you.

John Cassels
14th December 2005, 09:21
G'day John,
Welcome to the site , think you will enjoy yourself and "meet up"with many
old BOT aquaintances.
Since I saw your two posts yesterday have been trying to remember when and
where our paths have crossed but am still none the wiser. Any ideas ?.

I left Denholms in 1981 to come work ashore in Antwerp.

John C

John Cassels
15th December 2005, 20:04
`Good Lord John, I must be getting old. Don't remember you from the Cast ships
thought it must have been the old orey boats or even the GTV's where we knew
each other. Thought I remembered everyone from the Cast ships , but....

Were you there with Malky Thomson ?.

John

DCMARINE
16th December 2005, 13:43
For all the ex-"Crinan" slaves:
Vessel named after Crinan Canal.
O.N. 302197
Tonnage: 7,086g, 3,431n, 9703d
Dimensions: 427ft 3ins x 57ft 2ins x 25ft 6.5ins
Engine: 3cyl 2SCSA Doxford-type by Barclay Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow - 600 x 2,320, 2,500 BHP
Speed: 11 kts
Launched by Charles Connell & Co. Ltd., Scotstoun (Yard No. 492) for Scottish Ore Carriers Ltd (J & J Denholm (Management) Ltd., managers), Glasgow on 17 February 1960. Completed April 1960.
1974 - Sold to K/S A/S Geir, Tonsberg, and renamed "KLAR"
1976 - Sold to Luzon Stevedoring Corporation, Manilla, and renamed "LSCO TAWI TAWI"
1977 - Converted to ore/oil carrier (the mind boggles), G.T. now 5,324.
1982 - Owners became Philippine National Oil Co. Tankers Corporation, Manilla and renamed "PNOC TAWI TAWI".
1983 - Owners became PNOC Coal Corporation, Manilla, and renamed "LAKE TAAL". Subsequently converted to bulk carrier.
17 July 1987 - Sold by Auction to Wallem Philippines Shipping Inc., for resale for demolition.
12 August 1987 - Went aground in Batangas during Typhoon Betty.
September 1987 - Refloated
21 October 1987 - Arrived Kaohsiung for demolition.
A long and chequered career and wonder if anyone came across her in any far flung places in later life.
Donald Campbell

DCMARINE
16th December 2005, 13:57
Does anyone have a copy of, or remember, a poem that appeared in a Denholm News which included:
"Six trips to Seven Islands, and Narvik for a spree"
Donald

muldonaich
16th December 2005, 23:54
my god dc its many a long year since we sang that song cant remember the words now ah well thats old age for you kev

raybeti
18th December 2005, 22:40
Nostalgia creeps in sailed as C.O. on Naess Sovereign & Champion 1964 to 68
Masters, were Botham, Mayne, McPhee.Would be interested to hear from any one who sailed with me at that time. I met a few former shipmates whilst piloting in the Gulf, but full names have slipped my memory, old age and the fruit of the barley I'm afraid!.

Ray Jones

muldonaich
19th December 2005, 15:18
think i met you in the gulf i was on vancouver forest it was a new port am i right??? regards kev

Tom Morton
19th December 2005, 17:40
Poor old 'CRINAN' , had no idea she had gone ! I was Cadet Captain on her around 1962

John Cassels
20th December 2005, 10:26
Have looked through all my old copies of Denholm News covering 1963-1981
There are plenty of poems but not "7 trips to seven isles".
Did however find in the Sept.'63 edition a T.MORTON 3rd.mate on the
Naess Favorita. Would that be yourself,Tom ?. Master was W.Hallum and the
mate A.M.Miller.

Among other things found an aerial photo of the Port Talbot laybys taken during
the '66 strike. Can count 7 Denholm,3 Houlder,1 Buries Marks and one unidentified.
When I figure out how to work our scanner will try to put it in the gallery.

Donald, see you were in the same intake as Sloan Kelly , also from Gourock.

JC

DCMARINE
20th December 2005, 12:19
John,
"Six trips to Seven Islands" etc., is only part of a verse but I do not know what the Title was although I have a feeling "Diamond D" came into it.
Will have to dig out the photo I have of us all joining the "Crinan" to see who was all in the intake but I did think there was a "Kelly" and thought it was Sloan though not sure as there was a Vince Kelly in the North Sea many years ago.
Others:
Angus Murray (Lewis) - in N. Sea now Stornoway Coastguard.
Donald Murray (Lewis)
Paddy Murphy ? (Ireland)
George Morrison (Middlesborough)
Doug Murdoch (Welyn Garden City)
John G. Falconer (Dundee) - last heard of over 30 years ago as Master of Dutch coaster in Vietnam and trading to Aussie - just missed him in Port Hedland.
.......... Cameron (Dundee)
Gibby Watt (Fraserburgh) - still on N. Sea supply boats
Will revert with the missing two.
Some Senior cadets:
Peter Bloomer - retired ex supply boat master - sailed with him again there.
.......... Kernachan ?
Yan Kusynski ?
Donald Gunn - now Master on Cal Mac's "Hebrides".
More if and when they come to mind.
Donald

Tom Morton
20th December 2005, 12:37
[QUOTE=John Cassels]Have looked through all my old copies of Denholm News covering 1963-1981
There are plenty of poems but not "7 trips to seven isles".
Did however find in the Sept.'63 edition a T.MORTON 3rd.mate on the
Naess Favorita. Would that be yourself,Tom ?. Master was W.Hallum and the
mate A.M.Miller.

That was me John. Skipper Hallum and 1st Mate Miller were great guys, I learned a lot from them. Naess Favorita seems not to be a well known ship, I have photos in storage (I think) which I shall recover and post one of those days

John Cassels
20th December 2005, 21:07
Tom , was the Favorita a sister (or near sister) to the Naess Cavalier.
Spent 16 months on her '65-'66.
Think they did similar runs - Chile to Japan back and forth.

JC

Tom Morton
20th December 2005, 21:41
John C-- Do not remember the Naess Cavelier-----I left the navy in 64. However we did do several Chile/Japan trips, and some Newport News /Japan. Japanese ports were Fushiki and Niigata. Will get some photos out of storage this weekend

raybeti
21st December 2005, 19:14
Hamish Mackay (Cadet) & Jeff. Moon (Catering Officer) both sailed with me 1966, Naess Champion, any news of present whereabouts.

Ray Jones.

Argyll
24th December 2005, 13:15
does anyone remember a Jim Currie who I beleive was 2/0 on Naess Champion on her maiden voyage

Argyll
27th December 2005, 17:13
Others on the Crinan with me in early '64
seniors
G. Stephenson(Gourock)
Bob Baxter( Glasgow)
..... Stephens( Banff or Buckie I think)
Jan Kushinski (Gourock)
P.B.Wright (Greenock)
Juniors.
To add to your list
....Anderson (Glasgow)
Dave Linacre ( Edinburgh ,I Think)
Brendan Ward .Now a marine manager with Calmac.
thats all I can drag from the old grey matter at the moment.
Master was Jim Nicol
C/O Duncan Mac Donald from Strone Then Malky Thomson
Instructer Peter Kilvington Hull I think
Ther was another Master before Nicol can't remember his name but came into the company with Tanker Vivien Louise. He was Stone nuts.
Argyll

Tom Morton
27th December 2005, 18:25
I remember a Jan Kushinski from my J&J days, perhaps fro earlier days on the Crinan

John Cassels
27th December 2005, 20:02
Argyll,

My group paid off in Jan '64 so most probably the Master you can't remember
was Bert Buckley.

JC

Argyll
28th December 2005, 11:38
Jc,
Buckley does'nt strike a cord , were you on with Fred Smith from Gourock/Greenock
Argyll.

neil maclachlan
28th December 2005, 17:51
Hi John Cassels,
You mentioned a ship called 'Morar" with a free piston gas turbine engine. My memory is wandering back to a ship in The James Watt Dock which was being refitted with a free piston gas turbine engine built by Rankin & Blackmores. This engine when I left Rankins about that time was going to be the salvation of the company,evidently not, for Rankins went under not long after. I hear they replaced the gas turbine with a deisel,she was an old tub and would'nt have lasted much longer? Curious?
Neil Mac.

John Cassels
28th December 2005, 19:36
Argyll;

Yes , Freddy Smith was there. Other seniors were Jim Black and Colin Clague.

Neil ; As far as I know the Morar was built with the free gas turbine and not
re-engined with it. When she was sold she was re-engined in Amsterdam with
a Werkspoor diesel. I seem to remember there was a government grant for
research tied in with the decision to engine her with the turbine. Sailed with
a number of ex Morar engineers and modesty forbids me to quote many of their
comments about the engine..

JC

Roddy MacSween
28th December 2005, 20:52
Naess: -

Clipper, Trader, Sovereign, Endeavour. Cavalier, Clarion, Spirit etc

Regards

Roddy MacSween

Roddy MacSween
28th December 2005, 21:07
Hi John

Another Senior Cadet on the Crinan was Oddie Sundalskliev, from Elgin. The instructor was an Islander but NOT from Skye. He had the cadets painting the ship's name in Midlesbrough on New Year's Day- Enough said!!

Hamish Mackay was working offshore when I was with Chevron (Ninian Field) during a Hook-Up Project, circa. 1985.

I still keep in touch with John Jackson, but have lost touch with all other 'Diamond D Crinan Cadets'!!

Regards

Roddy

Tom Morton
28th December 2005, 22:09
Jim Black was a cadet with me on the Norscot. Also had the pleasure of serving with Master ' Bert or Bill? Buckley' on either the Crinan or Clarkeden, Kenny Inglis was the C/O.

Gulpers
28th December 2005, 22:37
Roddy,

Is this the same John Jackson who was mate on ARCTIC TROLL before going on leave and returning as Master? Probably round about '78 or '79!

If so, I was 3/0 at the time. (Thumb)

John Cassels
29th December 2005, 11:20
Morning Roddy;

He wasn't so bad. What else would we have done on New Year's day ??.

Did you know that both Stewart Cameron and John Gatherer have both passed
away many years ago ??.

Last heard of John Jackson that he was working at some port on the west coast
that shipped aggregates for road building but was never sure. If you still in touch
please give him my best regards. Have not seen him since the Crinan.

Have a good new year.

Cass

DCMARINE
29th December 2005, 12:52
[B]Morar.
Named after district of Morar.
O.N. 300492
Tonnage: 6,990g, 2,699n, 9,250d
Dimensions: 427ft x 57ft 3ins x 25ft 3.5ins
Engine: 3 free-piston gas generators, 2SA, each 1-cyl, 340 x550, and 1 Pescara-type gas turbine geared to screw shaft by British Polar Engines Ltd., Glasgow, and Rankine and Blackmore Ltd., Greenock.
Speed: 11 knots, however due to numerous breakdowns (was known to have steamed past the same lighthouse more than once on a passage as a result of drifting back while under repair) average speed on a passage was maybe never this.
23.04.1958: Launched by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 1113) for Scottish Ore Carriers Ltd. (J & J Denholm (Management) Ltd., Managers), Glasgow.
[Think she also had electric hatch covers]
January 1959: Completed.
March 1961: Engines replaced (details as original engines plus an additional gas generator.
April 1967: Sold to Reederei Barthold Ritchers, Hamburg, and renamed "CLARI".
October 1967: Re-engined with 9-cyl. 2SCSA oil engine (450 x 700) by Werkspoor NV, Amsterdam.
1969: Sold to Seeredeerei Arnis HP Vith & Co., Flensburg, W. Germany and renamed "ARNIS". As "ARNIS" she was fitted with hefty looking derricks.
1972: Owners became Arnis Shipping Co. Ltd., Nicosia. (German owners)
November 1973: Sold to PT Indonesian National Bulk Carrier, Djakarta.
1974: Renamed "MAHONI" (many a Gaelic speaker may have said something similar in her Diamond D days)
26.09.1979: Ran aground on west coast of Taiwan whilst carring a cargo of cement. Holed, E.R. flooded, and declared total loss.
June 1980: Refloated and sold to Kaohsiung for breaking up.
17.10.1980: Work began.
Another chequered career.
Donald Campbell

muldonaich
29th December 2005, 15:21
hi john , jim black left the sea and went into teaching he passed away a couple of years ago his wife died a couple of years before that with cancer as well regards kevin.

Argyll
29th December 2005, 20:08
Jc,
Another senior cadet was Blond george McGuire, I beleive he was master in J&j
There was a wee guy from Dundee ....Cameron Jnr cadet when I was there is that thwe one you say passed away at an early age. I beleive you know my friend Sandy Moodie who I am Constantlyin Touch with.
Argyll

John Cassels
30th December 2005, 11:07
Kevin;
Didn't know Jim Black all that well- only from 6 months on the Crinan. Sorry to
hear he passed away.
P.S. Any news about what happened to N.A.Mac.?.

Argyll;
George was Master on one of the Cast obo's when I was super.with them.
The Stewart Cameron was on the Crinan at the same time as myself (August 63
to Jan 64) but came from Gourock , so not the same one. He died out in Aussie
many moons ago.
Sandy and I keep an e-mail correspondence going. We knew each other from
years ago but neither of us can figure out when and where !!!!!!!!!!.

Have a good new year .

JC

muldonaich
30th December 2005, 18:06
hi john, n a mac passed away about two or three years ago he was ok isailed with him for a few yearshave agreat new year regards kev.

raybeti
31st December 2005, 23:02
The name George Mcguire roings a bell.
, I belive he was a cadet on either the sovereign or champion when I was mate .
woulfd like to get in touch after fourty odd years.

Ray Jones

Roddy MacSween
1st January 2006, 13:45
John

Great to be in touch - John Jackson and I completed our pre-sea training (1962 - 1963), sailed on the Crinan with yourself (1963 - 1964) and finally on the Naess Clipper in 1964m mainly carrying Iron Ore from Chile to Japan - Wonderful days!!
I can yet remember all Officers on board the N. Clipper. Sorry to hear about Srewart Cameron and Jim Black. I was looking at my address book given to me when I joined the Crinan and ahave all cadets names recprder. I can easily dpent an evening looking at this address book amd go dowm memeory lane. I not I made a mistake with Std's surname which read Cathro and not Catto.

Frank Brown, whom I believe compeyted pre-sea training with yourself was also in Gresham House School, Motherwell with me.

Have a good New Year. I am hoping to retire in January and concentrate on selevted O&G Projects.

Best Regards

Roddy

Roddy MacSween
1st January 2006, 13:51
Gulpers

What is your 'real name'?!!

The same John Jackson alive and kicking!! We completed pre-sea training (Glasgow School of Nautical Studies - 1962 - 1963), Crinan - 1963 - 1964 and Naess Clipper - 1964.

Happy Ney Year to you and yours.

Regards

Roddy MacSween

Roddy MacSween
1st January 2006, 13:58
John

You might also remeber Willie MacAuslan, who was Third Mate and sadly died some time years ago. My brother in law and his brother were also Masters in Denholms, Captain ED MacGregor (76) and his elder brother Captain AT MacGregor (deceased). The latter also had a son who was C/O in Denholms who is also deceased (tragic drowning accident).

Regards

Roddy

muldonaich
1st January 2006, 16:06
hi roddy i sailed with at macgregor on warick fort he was a gentleman mayne was old man before him a big sheltie was mate george?? hay i think kev.

Gulpers
3rd January 2006, 17:27
Roddy,

Good to hear that John is still 'hale and hearty'. If you are in touch with him please send my regards.

Ray Carson (Thumb)

Roddy MacSween
4th January 2006, 15:58
Mudonaich

AT MacGregorwas a fine person, whom I admired greatly. His son David a C/O also sailed in Denhom Ship Management and tragically drowned in hi 20s.

Beig a Sgianach, myself, I suspect you also are an Islader from the outer Hebridies - Yes?!!

Regards

Roddy

Regards

Roddy

Roddy MacSween
4th January 2006, 16:00
Ray

I normally touch base with my old pal at this time of the year and will pass on your regards. I will also be informing him of this excellent website.

Regards

Roddy

Gulpers
4th January 2006, 16:13
Roddy,

Slainte! The more members we get the merrier! (Thumb)

vix
5th January 2006, 00:36
Kia ora Gulpers, I was on the Carronpark in 1960, she was conventinal general cargo. carried 28,000 cartons of whisky to Montreal, didn't all get there either!! Can't make out the name of the skipper but he was a character...he wouldn't allow the 3rd mate into the bridge area unless he HAD to be there...he used to make him stand on the wing of the bridge and shut the door on him, and it wasn't the best of crossings, reckoned 3rd didn't have enough brains to be allowed in the working area. Most of the seamen I seem to remember were West Country on that particular trip? Will relate more later. Vix

Gulpers
5th January 2006, 00:57
Vix,

Thanks for your input to the Denholm thread - keep it coming!
Thankfully I was never treated like your unfortunate 3/O - mind you, maybe he was a pratt and deserved the treatment! (Thumb)

muldonaich
5th January 2006, 18:26
Kia ora Gulpers, I was on the Carronpark in 1960, she was conventinal general cargo. carried 28,000 cartons of whisky to Montreal, didn't all get there either!! Can't make out the name of the skipper but he was a character...he wouldn't allow the 3rd mate into the bridge area unless he HAD to be there...he used to make him stand on the wing of the bridge and shut the door on him, and it wasn't the best of crossings, reckoned 3rd didn't have enough brains to be allowed in the working area. Most of the seamen I seem to remember were West Country on that particular trip? Will relate more later. Vix
hi vix the old mans name was not george macintosh was it always wore ablack beret ex ex hungry hogarths regards kev.

ARRANMAN35
5th January 2006, 21:36
Hi,
Captain G. Macintosh could not have been the master at that time in
1960, he was C/O on the Ormsary. His first command in Denholms was
the Clarkavon in 1961.

Do you know who were the C/E and 2/E on the Carronpark during
that period.

Archie.

vix
6th January 2006, 00:09
Hi,
Captain G. Macintosh could not have been the master at that time in
1960, he was C/O on the Ormsary. His first command in Denholms was
the Clarkavon in 1961.

Do you know who were the C/E and 2/E on the Carronpark during
that period.

Archie.

No, Sorry I don't remember anyone from that trip and, as I said, the Skipper's signature is just a scrawl. If it helps, when we were ready to sail from Montreal, one of the wharf security came on board and said there was a drunk trying to break into the bonded-store in the sheds, said he came from the Carronpark. Chief Mate told the apprentice to do a head count. Came back 'All Aboard, sir'. Security went away and came back said the fellow was getting agitated and refused to leave, still said he was from Carronpark. Another head count-another all aboard. Security came back and said if you don't move this guy he's liable to get shot. Chief sent a couple of us ashore, including apprentice, we came back with the skipper. After the apprentice got a bollocking he said to me, "You wouldn't expect it of the Captain, would you? I naturally assumed he would be aboard because we are under sailing orders." Must have been all the whisky we dropped off...or what was left of it? Vix

Tom Morton
6th January 2006, 12:32
Would that Skippers name have been 'Dunnet' ??

vix
6th January 2006, 19:49
No, doesn't look anything like that. Might be Lap.....? or even MacP.....? He was really good to us, it was just the 3rd seemed to get up his nose.

muldonaich
7th January 2006, 18:00
anybody sail with vic greene chief steward??????

Argyll
7th January 2006, 21:20
Was he a scouser. I think I sailed with him on Naess Clipper Not sure though as it was 63/64. of that crew I do Remember the following-- E.Warman master Angus SmartC/O
D.Langwell 2/0 ---Norrie 3/0 Iwas apprentice along with --Lawrie.
c/e was Jimmy Halbert they were releived by M.MacLellan master---TurnerC/O he came from Buries Markes- I Think the C/e was Thornton . thats all Except that the Master M.MacLellan was sent home as his wife was Tragicly killed in a road accident

Tom Morton
7th January 2006, 22:21
Ernie Warman (from Aberdeen) was Chief Mate when I was a Denholm apprentice on the Lylepark in 1959. Hell of a character he took a great deal of abuse from a particular AB throughout our 9 months---the AB kept challenging him. Ended or trip in Middlesborough and Ernie arranged to sign off first, after that he waited out on deck until the AB signed off and appeared on deck. It was a hell of a punch up but was over very quickly and of course Ernie prevailed.
Was the 3/0 (Norrie) John Norrie ?? I sailed with him when he was also an apprentice, think it was the Naess Favorita.

Welshpatriot888
8th January 2006, 01:20
Hi everyone! Hi Gulpers!
I sailed on the following Denholm Ships from 1976 to 1982
Some of them not on youre listings

Industria
Dunelmia
Nordic Louisiana
Athol Forest
Chemical Explorer
Sevonia Team
Cast Petrel
Cast Fulmar
Alexandria Dio
Cast Bluewhale (Twice) Stood by her building in S Korea
Cast Huskey Stood by her building in S Korea

I left Denholms deep sea in 1982 & then went on to their Diving Support
vessel the Bar Protector - since then I have been in the offshore oil industry
& I am currently Chief Engineer on a Jack up Rig.

I joined Denholms as Electrician & then went over onto the Mechanical side -
I found it far easier than the electrics.

I met some great people at sea which gave me me some brilliant memories -
and made me proud to sail under the RED ENSIGN

Gulpers
8th January 2006, 10:06
Welshpatriot888,

Welcome to SN and more specifically to the Denholm Thread. Thanks fpr your input and I hope the site brings you back some happy memories! (Thumb)

Roddy MacSween
8th January 2006, 16:46
Tom

I'll try again - Lost my initial transmission!!

I sailed with John J. Norrie on two occasions, on the Naess Clipper and I think the Industria!!

He was a great character and fanatical Celtic supporter. He entered his address in my address book a: - JJ Norie, c/o Celtic Football club, Glasgow; or nearest pub!!

Regards

Roddy

R58484956
8th January 2006, 17:06
Welcome welshpatriot to the site most of us left the sea years ago but our minds are still there, enjoy the site and a happy new year to you.

non descript
8th January 2006, 17:20
If I am out of order then I apologise, but isn't the thread title: "Another suggested Forum " in need of changing now that it has been set up?

muldonaich
8th January 2006, 19:57
Was he a scouser. I think I sailed with him on Naess Clipper Not sure though as it was 63/64. of that crew I do Remember the following-- E.Warman master Angus SmartC/O
D.Langwell 2/0 ---Norrie 3/0 Iwas apprentice along with --Lawrie.
c/e was Jimmy Halbert they were releived by M.MacLellan master---TurnerC/O he came from Buries Markes- I Think the C/e was Thornton . thats all Except that the Master M.MacLellan was sent home as his wife was Tragicly killed in a road accident
no vic was from glasgow area i sailed with both e warman and angus smart on naess louisiana they were both old men on hergot on well with both of them sailed with angus smart again on duncraig dougie naismith was mate i then sailed with him mate and old man on the gtvs i sailed with jimmy halbert but cant remember what ship kev.

Roddy MacSween
11th January 2006, 16:27
John Jackson and I joined the Naess Clipper in March 1964 in Antwerp, following which she saile to Chile (Chanaral, Caldero and Coquimbo) where she loaded Iron Ore for Tobata (Japan). Anyone remember the Baloneo Bar?!!!

The Master was Captain MacLennan, C/O was Terry Turner, 2/O was Gordon Fry, 3/O was John Norrie, Lecky was another Skyeman Duncan MacDonald.

Captain MacLennan was a real gentlemen and on joining the vessel had just returned from his wife's funeral.

Regards

Roddy

John Cassels
11th January 2006, 21:11
Roddy,,

What memories you bring back -- Chanaral,Coquimbo,Caldera and not forgetting
Huasco. Had some wild times in these ports.
Was on the Chile _ Japan run for a year solid on the Naess Cavalier with Norman
Angus and W.C. (sh... House) Taylor as Masters. Did 16months on her in total.
Great ship.......great memories.
Did you also save up your weekly ration of Lux soap. Seem to remember that 3 bars
was the going rate for the weekend !!!!!!!!!!.

JC

Banni
19th January 2006, 21:07
Any of you chaps got a photo and details of the Troll Park and also details of the Dalma (no photo required thanks)

S.Moodie
19th January 2006, 23:32
Hullo Chaps,
The MV Crinan sailed from Greenock on her Maiden Voyage 24th April 1960.
The Apprentices were roughly 50/50 First Trip and Old Lags....
In no particular order of Merit and from memory and record, in the First Three Months, those below passed up and down the Gangway !

W.E.R. Wingate - Cadet Captain.
K.Orchardson. N.Muir, C.Robertson,D.Ogilvie,S.Moodie,D.McNair,P.Doran,
J.Seymour, J.D. Cameron,N.McBeth,J.Black,W.Sargent,O.Hagar,A.Milto n,A.Bell,
W.McAuslane.
Please read other postings with respect to some names recorded above,

After the first few months, the colleges delivered new intakes to the Crinan and those of us with 'previous convictions..' were dispersed throughout the Fleet, Best Regards,
S. Moodie.

Gulpers
20th January 2006, 00:04
Any of you chaps got a photo and details of the Troll Park and also details of the Dalma (no photo required thanks)
Banni,

I sailed on Troll River, Arctic Troll and Troll Park. I've found a photograph of Troll Park at this link http://www.ibiblio.org/maritime/photolibrary/displayimage.php?album=6490&pos=0
I don't recall Troll Park with the Troll Funnel - when I was on these ships Arctic Troll was the one with the special paint job - the other three ships, Troll River, Troll Park and Troll Lake all had the Willhelmsen colours. (Thumb)

John Cassels
20th January 2006, 11:04
Correct Gulps,

Trollpark had willemsens funnel colours. Spent 8 happy months on her
including 2 months "stuck"in Baltimore during longshoremen's strike in
1970 or 1971.

JC

Gulpers
20th January 2006, 14:08
Correct Gulps,

Trollpark had willemsens funnel colours. Spent 8 happy months on her
including 2 months "stuck"in Baltimore during longshoremen's strike in
1970 or 1971.

JC
Yes JC, happy days!

I wonder if they ever changed Troll Park's paint job (maybe in the late 70s)? She was on the Atlantic run with the Arctic Troll. Saint John NB to Dagenham then VWs from Emden back to the States. Troll River and Troll Lake had more of a "tramping" role.

I can't make out the name of the ship shown as Troll Park in my previous posting. Can any of you guys with super-dooper photo software on your PCs make out the name? (Thumb)

P.S. Baltimore must have been 1971 since all the Trolls were built in 71. (Thumb)

Doug Shaw
20th January 2006, 15:01
Hi All

Boy, has this forum unleashed a few memories! I haven't worked out yet if that's a good thing or not. Makes me feel a tad ancient. Still, thought you chaps might like a couple of bits of info if it helps.

I haven't found any reference to the Severn Bridge, the Burmah Garnet or the Sealness. I also couldn't find a reference to the Nordic Clipper, but realised that she had been previously named the Naess Viking. I think the Severn Bridge was owned by Clarksons. The Sealness was owned by Jebsens. She was built in Shimizu and was completed (early 1973) about nine months after the Swiftness, her sister ship. Capt Bob Cotter and C/E W Muir stood by both new buildings if I'm not mistaken.

The engineer killed in the fire on the Darius (late January or early February 1971) and mentioned in a previous post was George Dunn(?). He'd previously sailed on the Spey Bridge.

Banni, I don't have much info on the Dalma. She was registered in Monrovia, O.N. 5289 - G.R.T. 124234.95 - N.R.T 102357.90. She was rated at 40600 B.H.P, with twin Sulzer 7RND90s, I think.

On November 1, 1979, the Burmah Agate collided with the freighter Mimosa southeast of Galveston. I don't know if she was still managed by Denholms at the time. A 'Google' search for the vessel's name brings up heaps of info.

Regards
Doug S

airds
20th January 2006, 15:32
Yes JC, happy days!
Can any of you guys with super-dooper photo software on your PCs make out the name? (Thumb)

Looks VERY like Troll Park to me

Gulpers
20th January 2006, 16:19
Looks VERY like Troll Park to me
David,

When I was on the ships, Arctic Troll was the only one with the Troll funnel. You live and learn. Thanks for sorting that out. (Thumb)

airds
20th January 2006, 16:37
Just crop it down to area off interest, enlarge to 200%, tweak the contrast, and try sharpening a touch ......

Gulpers
20th January 2006, 16:50
Doug S,

Welcome to SN and more specifically to the Denholm thread. I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy the experience, addictive as it is!

Thanks for your input. Yes, there are a few names there which had completely slipped my mind. Keep posting! (Thumb)

muldonaich
20th January 2006, 18:00
hi david it says troll park regards kevin.

willall
20th January 2006, 21:37
Dalma. She was registered in Monrovia, O.N. 5289 - G.R.T. 124234.95 - N.R.T 102357.90. She was rated at 40600 B.H.P, with twin Sulzer 7RND90s, Length O.A. 1147ft, Breadth 169ft Depth 84ft.
Sailed on her 77-78 trading between Gulf and South Korea, Capt R. Megran and Jim Anderson, Mates were Hector Oconnel and Donald Ross, Hector went on to Skipper the cadet ship Wellpark and Donald bacame Master of the Dalma
regard
Willie

Roddy MacSween
30th January 2006, 22:09
JOHN

Been busy for the 5th January on Offshore Project for an old pal of mine, Kenny Polson (Sheltie), which will help to enhance the MNOPF as froom 26th. March. I keep reminding myself that I am not as young as I used to be and the cost in the land of 'Tinkers sitting on a Golden Throne' would be a bit more than 3 Lux bars!! Memorable and happy days indeed - Second trip to sea after the Crinan and I thougt I had found NIRVANAH!!

Best Regards

Roddy

Eric Wallace
31st January 2006, 03:45
Gulpers,I recently posted a photo of the Glenpark.I stood by her when being fitted in 1957 but never sailed on her,I did on the Duncraig E Wallace

Gulpers
31st January 2006, 08:00
Eric,

I'll have a look at your Gallery. Thanks for your contribution.

Ray

trivetts
31st January 2006, 10:08

I worked in Durban harbour on a Denholm ship loading coal. She was named Clunepark.Hope this adds to your list.
Good luck.

Thamesphil
1st February 2006, 20:43
Yes JC, happy days!

I wonder if they ever changed Troll Park's paint job (maybe in the late 70s)? She was on the Atlantic run with the Arctic Troll. Saint John NB to Dagenham then VWs from Emden back to the States. Troll River and Troll Lake had more of a "tramping" role.

I can't make out the name of the ship shown as Troll Park in my previous posting. Can any of you guys with super-dooper photo software on your PCs make out the name? (Thumb)

P.S. Baltimore must have been 1971 since all the Trolls were built in 71. (Thumb)

I can confirm that the vessel referred to in this thread is DEFINATELY Troll Park. It's my photo and it's dated 30/8/81. (*))

The Troll Park holds a particularly special place in my heart as it was the first ship movement I ever 'logged' in my shipspotting days, back in the summer of 1974, from Tilbury Landing Stage.

Both the Troll Park and her sister, Arctic Troll, became very common sights on the Thames for me as they ran their regular run from Canada to Samuel Williams No.4, Dagenham and, later, 42 berth Tilbury Dock. The other two sisters Troll River and Troll lake were much less common.. I gather they had the'tramping' role as described by Gulpers, but. I'm curious as to why they never rotated all four sisters over the Canada-London route more frequently.

Cheers,
Phil

Gulpers
1st February 2006, 23:40
I can confirm that the vessel referred to in this thread is DEFINATELY Troll Park. It's my photo and it's dated 30/8/81. (*))

The Troll Park holds a particularly special place in my heart as it was the first ship movement I ever 'logged' in my shipspotting days, back in the summer of 1974, from Tilbury Landing Stage.

Both the Troll Park and her sister, Arctic Troll, became very common sights on the Thames for me as they ran their regular run from Canada to Samuel Williams No.4, Dagenham and, later, 42 berth Tilbury Dock. The other two sisters Troll River and Troll lake were much less common.. I gather they had the'tramping' role as described by Gulpers, but. I'm curious as to why they never rotated all four sisters over the Canada-London route more frequently.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil,

Many thanks for your input. I hope my link to your photograph meets with your approval.

Troll River certainly visited the Thames - she was my first ship and, as Troll Park is dear to your heart, Troll River is dear to mine. We discharged packaged timber and timber products from Vancouver Island at Tilbury in mid December 1972.

Why were all four ships not employed on the Atlantic service? I've no idea - presumably the accountants could answer that one.

Cheers,

Ray (Thumb)

Thamesphil
1st February 2006, 23:45
Ray,

Thanks, yes, the link you gave is fine. It's a site that I had given permission to use my photos. In fact, I have now added a larger version of that photo to the gallery here.

Cheers
Phil

Gulpers
1st February 2006, 23:53
Phil,

Duh! Why don't I look in the most obvious places first!

Have you any photographs of Arctic Troll?

Cheers,

Ray (Thumb)

Thamesphil
2nd February 2006, 00:08
Funnily enough Ray, I don't have one of the Arctic Troll. Although I remember seeing her on a number of occasions, she seems to have eluded my camera.

I do, however, have a shot of Troll Lake, on one of her rare excursions to the Thames, which I will also add to the gallery here.

Cheers,
Phil

Gulpers
2nd February 2006, 01:57
Phil,

Interesting! Seen your shots of Troll Lake and Troll Park in the Gallery - thanks.

As you've probably noticed from previous postings, they must have changed funnel colours in the late 70's. I sailed on all the Trolls, with the exception of Troll Lake and when I was on them, only Arctic Troll had the Troll on her funnel - all the others had Willhelmsen colours (black with two light blue bands). (Thumb)

muldonaich
2nd February 2006, 15:04
sailed on troll river and troll lake both had black funnel with two light bandsregards kevin.

George L Murray
4th February 2006, 10:30
Hello folks. As you may be aware I posted a request on another thread requesting information about the MV Muirfield.

I am basically trying to speak to anyone who sailed on board her around November 1975. The reason being my late brother died on board her whilst diving in one of the holds where there was a blocked exhaust valve. He was later buried at sea. The circumstances surrounding his death are worth researching further as we have heard rumours and conflicting stories fairly recently.

I would be greatly obliged if yourselves or any of your contacts could ask around in order to trace any crew who were on the Muirfield at that time. My brother's name was Alexander Donald Murray (maybe referred to as Alex Dan or Scotch) and he was I think 3rd Engineer on the Muirfield at the time.
Thanks
George L Murray

mclearg
9th February 2006, 09:50
I hope someone can help me. I am trying to trace some my fathers 'at sea' history. His name was John McLeary thought everyone called him Ian. He was Glasgow born and by all accounts sailed mostly with Denholm. I think he joined the merchant navy in 1965 as an engineer Cadet and left in the early 70's. He passed away recently and although we ( I am one of his three sons ) had time to discuss the arrangements with him, we never really spoke about his times at sea. Other than to talk about engines!. I cannot find his discharge book which is most annoying.
I am particularly interested in his time on a ship called Scotstoun. The family legend goes that it is the only boat he was on more than once and each time (3) my mother was pregnant. As I am the youngest I was very nearly named Scotstoun!.
My father wrote his own death notice which I have included below.

Mcleary-John (Ian). Cast off on a great adventure with the tide at 9pm on Sunday, 15th January, 2006 from St Vincents Hospice. To mark the event a small thermo conversion will take place at Woodside Crematorium, Paisley, at 4pm on Friday, 20th January. For those of a more serious bent, a debate as to the possible destination and ports of call will be chaired by Denise at The Garthland, Church Street, Lochwinnoch

It raised quite a stir and the Glasgow Herald did a piece on him. the link is below.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/54767.html

McLeary
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Gordon.

ruud
9th February 2006, 10:07
Ahoy McLeary,

Here her history, and her photo by Willie Allan

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=5128

©Willie Allan

Gulpers
9th February 2006, 10:22
I hope someone can help me. I am trying to trace some my fathers 'at sea' history. His name was John McLeary thought everyone called him Ian. He was Glasgow born and by all accounts sailed mostly with Denholm. I think he joined the merchant navy in 1965 as an engineer Cadet and left in the early 70's. He passed away recently and although we ( I am one of his three sons ) had time to discuss the arrangements with him, we never really spoke about his times at sea. Other than to talk about engines!. I cannot find his discharge book which is most annoying.
I am particularly interested in his time on a ship called Scotstoun. The family legend goes that it is the only boat he was on more than once and each time (3) my mother was pregnant. As I am the youngest I was very nearly named Scotstoun!.
My father wrote his own death notice which I have included below.

Mcleary-John (Ian). Cast off on a great adventure with the tide at 9pm on Sunday, 15th January, 2006 from St Vincents Hospice. To mark the event a small thermo conversion will take place at Woodside Crematorium, Paisley, at 4pm on Friday, 20th January. For those of a more serious bent, a debate as to the possible destination and ports of call will be chaired by Denise at The Garthland, Church Street, Lochwinnoch

It raised quite a stir and the Glasgow Herald did a piece on him. the link is below.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/54767.html

McLeary
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Gordon.
Gordon,

I am extremely sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. Sadly, I never sailed with him but, on reflection, I wish I had - he must have been one of life's true "characters!"

Keep checking this thread because there are many ex Denholm members who read it and I am sure someone will remember Ian. By the sounds of it, there will probably be tale or two to relate as well.

Ray

Tom Morton
15th February 2006, 23:22
I sailed with Denholm in the late 50's to mid 60's. Did not sail on the Scotstoun but remember the name very well.
Problem is that I remember the Scotstoun as a tanker----conflicts with what RUDD sent.
The other tanker in the Denholm fleet at that time was the Norscot which I sailed on around 1961 and it is my memory that the (tanker) Scotstoun was afloat at the same time?????

Angus Murray
19th February 2006, 23:36
[QUOTE=DCMARINE]John,
"Six trips to Seven Islands" etc., is only part of a verse but I do not know what the Title was although I have a feeling "Diamond D" came into it.
Will have to dig out the photo I have of us all joining the "Crinan" to see who was all in the intake but I did think there was a "Kelly" and thought it was Sloan though not sure as there was a Vince Kelly in the North Sea many years ago.
Others:
Angus Murray (Lewis) - in N. Sea now Stornoway Coastguard.
Donald Murray (Lewis)
Paddy Murphy ? (Ireland)
George Morrison (Middlesborough)
Doug Murdoch (Welyn Garden City)
John G. Falconer (Dundee) - last heard of over 30 years ago as Master of Dutch coaster in Vietnam and trading to Aussie - just missed him in Port Hedland.
.......... Cameron (Dundee)
Gibby Watt (Fraserburgh) - still on N. Sea supply boats
Will revert with the missing two.
Some Senior cadets:
Peter Bloomer - retired ex supply boat master - sailed with him again there.
.......... Kernachan ?
Yan Kusynski ?
Donald Gunn - now Master on Cal Mac's "Hebrides".
More if and when they come to mind.
Donald[/QUOTE

Donald
It was indeed Sloan Kelly who was one of our Crinan group.I think you may have Paddy's name wrong though. He came from Larne, but i am not convinced his surname was Murphy! Like you i can not recall the missing two names. Of the Seniors that you mentioned, i see from a recent CalMac magazine that Alistair Kernachan has just been presented with a long service award by CalMac, where he is still serving. Other Senior names at the time were : George MacGuire/ George Stevenson/ David S Mackay/ PB Wright.
Regards
Angus

calumthomson
20th February 2006, 09:24
Angus, Paddy's name was Quiery. I remember that intake and the two or three following. I was Ch Off on the Crinan at that time.
Calum.

calumthomson
20th February 2006, 12:05
Re- Kyto Forest/Conon Forest.

I joined the Havrais (ex Conon Forest) in Tilbury in 1980/1981 and sailed in her for two trips until she came of charter and was sold to Barber Ship Management- a division of Wilhelmsens Oslo- and was renamed the 'Willine Toyo' trading with containers from Japan to the Persian Gulf.
I also had sailed on the Advara on charter to Southern Shipping line Adelaide,
from October 1979 to end of 1980 trading between the Far East and Australia.
She was under the Denholm (Hongkong) Management at that time, but I do'nt know what happened after we left her.
Kind regards to John Cassels from 'Cast Husky, days
Calum Thomson.

calumthomson
20th February 2006, 19:40
Angus,
I made a mistake in the Irish Cadet's name. R. B Quiery was in the previous intake 1963. Roddy Macsween was in that intake so he may know if that is correct. I think Shaun Kelly was from Greenock. .
regards,

Calum .

John Cassels
21st February 2006, 09:10
Calum,

Roddy and myself were in the same Crinan intake ( Aug.'63 to Jan.'64)
but there was no R.B.Quiery then . Can remember you very well as instructor.
Bert Buckley as Master.

JC

calumthomson
21st February 2006, 09:24
R. B Quiery was there on my first trip on the 'Crinan' in March 1963 Captain Nichol relieved Capt Buckley for the first three months. Campbell Kerr was the Ch Off and Duncan Macdonald from Dunoon way was there before him. Roddy Mackenzie was one of the Seniors, also George Duncan from Dundee.
Happy memories John. Hope you are keeping very well.
Calum.

calumthomson
21st February 2006, 18:44
Re-Sealnes.
I did a six months tour on the Jebsen 'Baknes' in 1971, and then went out to stand-by the building of the Swiftnes in NKK Shimizu Japan with Walter Muir Ch/Eng. Bob Cotter came out in April to take the ship on her maiden voyage.
I went on leave but I was hardly at home when I had to go out to the 'Gina Maria' which had gone aground off Belize. After my leave I relieved Bob on
the Swiftnes and afterthat to stand-by and take the Sealnes on her maiden voyage. They were lovely ships. It took one year to build the baknes in Lithgows but only six months to build the other two ships in NKK>
I corresponded with Bob for a long time at Christmas but in the last letter he told me his wife Cathie had cancer, but his mail dried up then and I feared the worst. I was pleased to hear from kevin on this site that he was last heard off standing by a ferry in Spain. Lennox Inglis kindly sent me addresses in the London area but they were ex-directory numbers.
I would dearly like to hear about Bob if anyone can help and also our friend, Donald Balloch .
Kind Regards,
Calum

John Cassels
21st February 2006, 20:08
Malcolm,

Bob was on the Cast ships for a number of years -- Cotter of the Otter as we used
to call him. Last I heard of him was that he was on Spanish ferries running across
the straits of Gib. Cathie died quite a number of years ago.

Donald Balloch well and kicking. Last saw him in Tesco's in Greenock about 3 years
ago. He was at the checkout with Sadie and I crept up behind him and said in his
ear " Wanna buy a cheap Sulzer ". You can imagine with his typical guffaws , brought
the place to a standstill.

Was on the Baknes early 1972 with wee Jock McVicar (who also sadly lost his wife
about 18 months ago). Can't remember who else was there but it was an exciting
7 months.

calumthomson
22nd February 2006, 19:52
To JC
Thanks for your information John. As I said before I was introduced to this site by Kevin Hargin and I am indeed grateful to him for it. It is so intersting finding out where our old shipmates are, though it is difficult to trace some.
I had previously listed all the ships i had ever sailed on at the request of my wife, though I had resisted it for a long time. I will try to copy and paste the Denholm ships I sailed on and may get more contacts in this way:

Glenpark Feb 1962- Dec 1962 Cas-Pan-Jap-Ind-UK Denholm
Crinan (Cadet Feb 1963- Aug 1963 UK-Nor-Can-WA Denholm
Crinan (Ship) Oct 1963-May 1964 As Above Denholm
Crinan do July 1964-Dec 1964 As Above Denholm
Dealmouth Feb 1965–Oct 1965 UK-Cont Can(Lakes) Denholm
Naess Clarion Jan 1966 –Jan 1967 UK-US-Pan-Jap-S/A Denholm
Lithgows Mar 1967-Aug 1967 Lithgows Shipyard Building
Gallic Bridge Aug 1967-Jan 1968 UK-US-Pak-Jap-S/A Denholm
Haverton IHill Feb 1968- July 1968 Shipyard Building. Building
Fort St Cath Oct 1968- Jan 1969 Cont-NA Cont-Ita- Training
Naess Trader Feb 1969-Mar 1969 UK-Nor-UK Denholm
Craigallian Mar 1969-Oct 1969 UK-NA-Can-Nor- Denholm
Naess Parkgate Dec 1970-Mar 1971 UK-NA-Pan-Jap. Denholm
Baknes Mar 1971-Dec 1971 Fra-NA-Pan-Jap Denholm
NKK Japan Jan 1972- May 1972 Shipyard Building Building
Ship Name Dates Served on Trading Pattern Owners
Gina Maria June 1972 – Aug 1972 West Indies- NY. Denholm
Swiftnes Oct 1972— Feb 1973 Cont –Pan NZ-UK Denholm
Sealnes Apr 1973 - Sept 1973 USA-NZ-JAP-UK Denholm
Swiftnes Nov 1973 – Apr 1974 Aust-JAP-CAN- NZ Denholm
Loch Long June 1974 – Nov 1974 NY-W.I-S.A-Swed Denholm
Loch Long Jan 1975 - Mar 1976 Cont – SAM. Denholm
Loch Lomond Aug 1976- Dec 1976 Cont- WA-SA-NAM Denholm
Loch Lomond Mar 1977–Aug 1977 Cont-SA-Cont-SA-Cont Denholm
Loch Lomond Dec 1977 – Mar 1978 SA- USA-Cont Denholm
Andros April 1978 –Aug 1978 HK-Aust-HK_Aust Denholm
Andros Dec 1978– May 1979 FE-AUST-FE-AUST Denholm
Advara Oct 1979 - Feb 1980 FE-AUST-FE-AUST Denholm
Wellpark May 1980- Sept 1980 Aust – Red Sea-SAF Denholm
Havrais Dec 1980 – Apr 1981 UK- Per Gul-FE. Denholm
Loch Lomond May 1981- July 1981 NAF-Med –Malta. Denholm
Paquesa Oct 1981 - Feb 1982 SAM – CONT-SAM Ecuador
Wellpark May 1982 –Sept 1982 LIS-USA-MED Denholm
Cast Husky Dec 1982 -Jan 1986 Cont- Can-Cont-Can Denholm
North Pioneer Feb 1986 –May 1986 Can-Ber-Can-Ber Denholm
North Enterpr May 1986-July 1986 Can-Ber-Can-Ber Denholm
North Explor Oct 1986 – April 1987 Can-Ber-Can-Ber Denholm
North Pioneer Aug 1987 – Mar 1988 Can-Ber-Can-Ber Denholm

mclearg
24th February 2006, 13:02
Thanks Gulpers and RUUD for the kind words and infromation.

We are having a bit of a dilemma as there appears to have been more than one Scotstoun. I have a contact at LR and he is looking into wether or not either of the two that have been found so far could be the one my father sailed on.
I am not even sure the Scotstoun he sailed on was a Denholms ship.

These links show what I think are two different ships.

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/scotstoun.html

Clydebuilt website (http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=5128)

Am I correct in this assumption?

Also my brother seems to think the Scotstoun my father sailed on was a tanker not a general cargo vessel.

I have no hope now of finding his discharge book, is there anyway a copy is in existance?

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Gordon McLeary

Tom Morton
24th February 2006, 22:46
The links shown by 'mclearg' seem , to me , to be the same vessel.
I may have contributed to this issue since my memory tells me that there was a Scotstoun (tanker) in the Denholm fleet in the late 50's /early 60's.
So far I have found nothing to substantiate that-----so I e mailed Denholm and asked them to look at their records and advise accordingly.
This may be nothing more than the failing memory of an "old f--t"

willall
25th February 2006, 01:04
Re Scostoun.
I sailed on the Scotstoun Feb1980- June 1980, the link Ruud has is the ship I was on.
In June 1980 the Greeks were coming up the gangway in Pireaus as we paid off.
The picture on the Clyde web site is not the same ship.
Joined in Tunisia towed across to Palermo drydock there for rudder repair after that can't remember much,thru the Great lakes, Duluth then on to Poland with sunflower seed then Pireaus.
West Highland and Island crew Smirnoff was just a new form of bottled water!!!!
All the best.
Willie Allan

Eric Wallace
25th February 2006, 03:40
undefinedundefinedundefined I sailed on the Ducraig back in 1957 we also took a trip to Vitoria Brazil for iron ore.there was a Bob on board from Srirling he was 4th/E could that be the same Bob Cotter? I was 3rd/E Eric Wallace

muldonaich
25th February 2006, 10:46
sorry eric bob cotter was old man regards kevin.

calumthomson
25th February 2006, 13:50
John,
Are you the John Mackinnon who was at Leith College at the same time as I was and then I met you at Lithgow's Yard and I later met at your home in Kilbarkan and latterly at the time of the Mod in Stornoway when we went on board the accommodation ship that was there.
I think there was another John Mackinnon from Barra I sailed with but I cannot recall the name of the ship.
Regards,
Calum Thomson.

calumthomson
25th February 2006, 14:22
John,
Bert Buckly was Master on the Crinan in 1962 and was relieved by Jim Nichol in March 1963 for two months , but rejoined again to be again relieved by Big Jim in September 1963 for his leave. Bert was relieved by the gentleman mentioned who came into Denholms with the 'Vivien Louise'. He was a good soul but a bit past it.
Roddy ,
I remember you well and I can say your latter posts amuse me.
With the passage of time and on reflection, I can assure you that Capt's Buckley and Nichol and 'others' who were in the Crinan at that time had your welfare at heart although it may not have been apparent to you at that time.
It was not funny being transposed suddenly from your home in Broadford and those in the other places to the heaving deck of an ore carrier en-route to Seven Islands or Narvik/Kirkness in mid-winter. The aim of these men was to harden you all to meet with and to cope with the elements you would encounter and to prepare you to meet what was ahead of you head on.
I am pleased to see from your profile that you did well.
Best wishes from 'the islander but not a SKYEMAN'
I do have many friends in Skye.
Calum Thomson

ARRANMAN35
25th February 2006, 21:47
Hi,
Have posted a picture of the 1950/60's Tanker Scotstuon in the Gallery.

Regards
Archie.

Tom Morton
25th February 2006, 22:31
Arranman----thanks , was beginning to think that I really was an old f-rt with a wandering memory. She is exactly as I remember her and very similar, if not identical to Norscot that I sailed on.
Wonder why there is so little info on her ??? Maybe RUDD can research this further since he obviuosly has a very good data base

John Jackson
25th February 2006, 23:34
I`ve just joined SN tonight.
Ships on which I sailed that are not on the list are the `Naess Clipper`, `Naess Pioneer`, Naess Champion, `London Team` and the `Sig Ragne`
regards,
John Jackson

calumthomson
25th February 2006, 23:42
John,
Good to see another ex-shipmate and welcome on board. I am sure you will find the board as interesting as we do.
Calum Thomson.

Wee John
25th February 2006, 23:47
The Dimond D was my first company and I was proud to be Part of the " Glasgow Greeks" One time a whole new ER crew Joined the" Federal Hudson" in the morning and sailed her in the afternoon, and not one of us had ever sailed on an opposed piston B&W. That was Denholm men. Iwill look through my book and sort out which ships I sailed on and post it then

ARRANMAN35
26th February 2006, 14:02
Hi Tom,
Did a "memorable" trip on Norscot in 1959, the ER engineering complement was boosted to eleven, we had 3 2/E's and and 2C/E's in that time
memories indeed.
Glad that you were able to sort out the Scotstoun situation, like yourself my
memory is not at its best but I can recall most of the time spent in Denholms.
Regards
Archie.

Tom Morton
26th February 2006, 14:22
Archie---my trip on the Norscot was 8/60 to 4/61. I was a cadet but ended as acting pumpman when our regular pumpman was hospitalized

ARRANMAN35
26th February 2006, 14:45
Hi Tom,
Sounds like J&J indeed, hope you had "recognition" for your efforts.

Spent a great deal of time in the various pump rooms, overhauling
the horizontal Dawson and Downie's.

My engineering experience was much "enhanced" due to that trip.

Stayed with Denholms until 1964, finishing up as 2/E on the
Craigallian, where I spent nearly three years, interspersed with
ticket and other leave.

Regards
Archie.

John Cassels
26th February 2006, 14:59
Ships on which I sailed that are not on the list are the `Naess Clipper`, `Naess Pioneer`, Naess Champion, `London Team` and the `Sig Ragne`
regards,
John Jackson

Welcome John , great to hear from you after all these years.

JC

Argyll
26th February 2006, 16:45
Angus,
other seniors on Crinan 1964 were Bob Baxter(Bagsy) and I think one George stephens from Fraserburgh I think but like most of my vintage trhe memory is going
Argyll(Alistair Kernachan)

Roddy MacSween
26th February 2006, 20:33
John

As discussed on Friday, you will find many old 'BOT' acquaintances on SN. Welcome to the website my old friend You and I shared good and 'not-so-good' times from 1962 ~ 1965 (1962 ~ 1963 - School of Navigation, John Street, Glasgow; 1963 - 1964 - Cadet Ship m.v. 'Crinan' - not a pleasant experience - enough said!; m.v. 'Naess Clipper' - wonderful memories with Master and a 'first-class' team, second to none - Captain McLennan, C/O Terry Turner, 2/O - Gordon Fry. First trip with an Indian crew - Do you remember Lobo, who was assigned to help us overhaul all 9 hatches? Quality time in the MN started on the Clipper!

John Cassels has provided me with so many memories and photographs - my youngest daughter now possesses a photograph of me at 18 with a full head of hair!!

Once again - Welcome - We will meet up soon.

Roddy

Wee John
26th February 2006, 21:01
anybody sail with vic greene chief steward??????
Yes I sailed with Vic on the Dunelmia in1979.A gentelman who my wife and kids remember with affection. The ship was going to be sold when I paid off in Silvertown and Vic gave my wife allsorts, in fact we still have suger and milk jugs from then
Wee John

Wee John
26th February 2006, 21:20
I hate to be pedantic but I notice that the " Tor Scandia Tor Mercia and Tor Gothia " are missing from the fleet names. The Tor boats left the main fleet around 1972 and went to Denholm Maclay. But they were main fleet when I first joined the Scandia in 71
Also missed "Federal Hudson and Nordic Spirit
Wee John

Roddy MacSween
26th February 2006, 22:17
Calum

With reference to your message, let me try and correct some of your inaccuracies: -

When I joined the 'Crinan' in 1963 at 17, I had been away from home for 6 years, which included Portree High School (Hostel resident), School in Motherwell (with Frank Brown who was also a cadet on the Crinan 'intake' in 1963), pre-sea training at the School of Navigation in Glasgow (1 year).

To infer that I was 'suddenly transposed' from the Isle of Skye to the 'Crinan' and deduce that this would enhance my welfare demonstrates a condescending ignorance which astounds me.

I have no intention of recording significant incidents on this site, which resulted in a total abhorrence of my initial 6 months in the MN, the worst time in a marine career spanning (to date) 44 years.

To set the record straight, I never sailed with Captain Nichol - I did respect the incumbent Master Captain Bert Buckley and the C/O Duncan MacDonald, with whom I had the pleasure of working with between 1976 and 1978. 3/O Willie McAuslan (deceased) was a gem, whose support at times was invaluable.

I would suggest that a style of 'man-management', where 'hardening teenage cadets to meet and cope with the elements on heaving decks', etc., etc was misguided and unprincipled. Believe me, Calum; this opinion is shared by many of my peer group.
I have had the pleasure and privilege of being in command of a Diving Support Vessel, where teamwork and effective management were the 'key principles' resulting in retention of a regular team of 60 persons for over 3 years.

I have no intention of entering into a 'war of words' and to that end, I will refrain from any further communiqué on this subject. You will hopefully understand that at 60 years old, I will not accept the diatribe, which has been communicated to many SN members.

Regards

Roddy MacSween

John,
Bert Buckly was Master on the Crinan in 1962 and was relieved by Jim Nichol in March 1963 for two months , but rejoined again to be again relieved by Big Jim in September 1963 for his leave. Bert was relieved by the gentleman mentioned who came into Denholms with the 'Vivien Louise'. He was a good soul but a bit past it.
Roddy ,
I remember you well and I can say your latter posts amuse me.
With the passage of time and on reflection, I can assure you that Capt's Buckley and Nichol and 'others' who were in the Crinan at that time had your welfare at heart although it may not have been apparent to you at that time.
It was not funny being transposed suddenly from your home in Broadford and those in the other places to the heaving deck of an ore carrier en-route to Seven Islands or Narvik/Kirkness in mid-winter. The aim of these men was to harden you all to meet with and to cope with the elements you would encounter and to prepare you to meet what was ahead of you head on.
I am pleased to see from your profile that you did well.
Best wishes from 'the islander but not a SKYEMAN'
I do have many friends in Skye.
Calum Thomson

muldonaich
26th February 2006, 23:05
Yes I sailed with Vic on the Dunelmia in1979.A gentelman who my wife and kids remember with affection. The ship was going to be sold when I paid off in Silvertown and Vic gave my wife allsorts, in fact we still have suger and milk jugs from then
Wee Johnyes he was as you say a real gentleman i had the pleasure of sailing with him a number of times on different ships great guy we had some good laughs together regards kevin.

Tom Morton
1st March 2006, 17:26
Found a little more info on the older J&J 'Scotstoun' which is dated August 1956

"Single screw motor tanker was built by Charles Connel & Co Ltd for Falkland Shipowners Ltd, a fully owned subsidiary of the Alscott Shipping Company ltd and is managed by J&J Denholm. She is a sister ship of the Norscot owned by the Norscot Shipping Co and also managed by J&J"

shaun
6th March 2006, 10:51
Hi All,

Name is Shaun Rennison, I was a steward with J & J on the Gleddoch in mid to late 60's sailed with Maltese Chef Joe Corruna. Brilliant times had in Whitehaven !! Maily sailed from Port Talbot to Murmansk and Kirkenes. Some terrible weather I recall in 1967 when Trawlers from my home port of Hull were lost in storms in the arctic circle at same time as were on passage.

Tom Morton
7th March 2006, 18:37
On Feb 9/06 member Mclearg ( Ian & Gordon McLeary) posted a message in the Denholm thread looking for some information on his father.
I have developed some info---a list of the Denholm ships he sailed on (including the Scotstoun #2) and possibly a photograph of him.
I PM'd him several days ago but no further respons. If anyone knows another means of contacting him, please ask him to contact me

haydn
7th March 2006, 18:57
the el lobo she was burma oil

Chris Smith
12th March 2006, 14:19
Ray,
many apologies for not replying earlier to your post in September 2005.......I tend to get distracted with a three year old and and 11 year old!!!!
I was very fortunate to be given "Ship to Shore" by Jane Gallagher , Executive Assistance to the then Chairman of Denholms. Although the Personnel Department of Denholms were less than helpful when I tried to obtain a further copy, the present Chairman has expressed interest in the Research into the sinking of the Lylepark, which I am currently writing up.
The book was not intended for external puublication but intended as a commeration of 125 years fo Denholm.s...The present Chairman was suprised that I was able to obtain a further copy which I presented to Hamish Low...this was obtained on the Internet....(Amazon Books....I think!)

Title
Ship to Shore
J.&J.Denholm 1866-1991 by

Jonathan Mantle
ISBN
0 907 383 28 9
tHE PRINTERS DON'T HAVE ANY FURTHER COPIES and the best chance will be trawling the Internet.
Hope this helps and thanks for starting the Denholm section.

Chris

Ron Lloyd
17th March 2006, 21:18
I was on Denholm ships from 1974-1988....

Gulpers
19th March 2006, 07:31
Ray,
many apologies for not replying earlier to your post in September 2005.......I tend to get distracted with a three year old and and 11 year old!!!!
I was very fortunate to be given "Ship to Shore" by Jane Gallagher , Executive Assistance to the then Chairman of Denholms. Although the Personnel Department of Denholms were less than helpful when I tried to obtain a further copy, the present Chairman has expressed interest in the Research into the sinking of the Lylepark, which I am currently writing up.
The book was not intended for external puublication but intended as a commeration of 125 years fo Denholm.s...The present Chairman was suprised that I was able to obtain a further copy which I presented to Hamish Low...this was obtained on the Internet....(Amazon Books....I think!)

Title
Ship to Shore
J.&J.Denholm 1866-1991 by

Jonathan Mantle
ISBN
0 907 383 28 9
tHE PRINTERS DON'T HAVE ANY FURTHER COPIES and the best chance will be trawling the Internet.
Hope this helps and thanks for starting the Denholm section.

Chris
Chris,
Thank you for the information regarding “Ship to Shore.” Much appreciated. It doesn’t sound as if it will be an easy publication to unearth and you should indeed consider yourself very fortunate to have been given a copy. (Thumb)

muldonaich
21st March 2006, 22:39
i was also given a ship to shore and a denholms house flag by jane along with some photos i asked for regards kevin.

Tom Morton
22nd March 2006, 13:46
Coincidentally, a friend sent me a copy last week. Very interesting reading.

Hugh MacLean
28th March 2006, 09:40
regards,
John JacksonHello John,

I am sorry I missed your entry. A warm welcome to SN and good to see another local on this site. It's a great site and glad to see that you have come across some of your old shipmates. will be in touch on email.
Rgds

James MacDonald
11th April 2006, 16:43
Hi Ray .Heres a couple more : Inverewe & the Sealnes both bulkies.
Regards Jim

Gulpers
12th April 2006, 02:30
Jim,

You are not wrong! Thanks - it's amazing how easy it is to forget some of the ships. Still, that's the strength of a site like this, everyone is able to muck in together and rekindle memories. I wonder if we will ever achieve a definitive fleet list? (Thumb)

Angus Murray
12th April 2006, 21:14
Chris,
Thank you for the information regarding “Ship to Shore.” Much appreciated. It doesn’t sound as if it will be an easy publication to unearth and you should indeed consider yourself very fortunate to have been given a copy. (Thumb)

Maybe some of you are unaware of another publication which contains a mine of information on Naess Denholm ships/history etc. The book is AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A SHIPPING MAN by Erling D Naess,published in 1977 by Seatrade Publications.Probably out of print now, but available on some online second hand bookshops (ABE Books is one). I obtained mine from a seller in Canada. An amazing book, with subjects including the authors wartime exploits, his first venture into shipping (whaling), the birth of the Naess empire,the Naess Denholm years, ABC, merger with ZAPATA,and many other facinating subjects.

A few titbits from the book:
The Naess Sovereign delivered in 1961 was by far the largest vessel under the British Flag and the third largest in the world!

Naess Endeavour: Delivered in 1960, being at that time the largest vessel launched in Holland (a massive 47,780 dwt!!)

The Naess connection with Denholm came about as a result of management of the Naess Trader (3 years prior to the formation of Naess Denholm)

The total cost of three newbuildings (Endeavour/Sovereign/Champion ) amounted to £4 million, with some of the money being covered by builders loan against the Naess Trader and Naess Pioneer (the Trader being on a 15 year BISCO charter, and the Pioneer being on an 8 year KRUPP charter).

Lots more detail in this book. Hope this whets the appetite of anyone looking to obtain a copy mof this book.
My own Naess experience was gained on the Naess Pioneer, Naess Endeavour, Naess Trader, and Naess Viking (newbuilding standby at Eriksberg Shipyard -Gothenburg)

Regards to all
Angus

muldonaich
12th April 2006, 22:17
hi angus the only one of them i was on was neass louisianna ernie warman and a smart oldmen willie macallister who ended up chief marine super for denholms was mate norman macaskill from point was bosun there used to be a story about neass stealing the norwegian seamans union funds going to the states and starting up in shipping no idea if there was any truth in any of it regards kev

airds
12th April 2006, 22:48
There are good articles on Wikipedia about Erling D Næss (http://snipurl.com/p3o2) and his nephew Arne Næss Jr. (http://snipurl.com/p3o9) - if your interest doesn't run to buying the book. (Maybe some of this material is extracted from the source Angus mentioned ?)

(Sorry if you've seen a similar post on this subject before - I just can't remember where ....)

b.rdgs

David Scott
12th April 2006, 22:58
I did six months on the Naess Lousiana and I cannot say it was enjoyable. Chief Engineer at the time was big tall guy ???? from Skermorlie, second was John Lennon and one third was , wait for it, James Ignacious Farrel O'Shea. When he wrote his name in the log book there was no room for anybody elses name.
I was crew-changing out of Galveston ten years later and I saw her tied up and went on board for a look around.
I have posted a picture of the Louisiana in the galleries.

Gulpers
13th April 2006, 00:20
David,
Sailed with James Ignatius O'Shea on Troll River. On one occasion when anchored in Singapore Roads to pick up spares, our agent presented us with several trays of Passion Fruit. The ever inventive James huckled the fruit before the Chief Steward clapped eyes on it and, in less than two weeks, James was dispensing glasses of "Passion Fruit Wine" from his cabin. It was sweet but rough as hell - a bit like James really! (Thumb)

muldonaich
13th April 2006, 00:42
sailed with james a few times chief on n l was george brand david glatly was second kev