Kuwait Shipping or UASC

crawleydel
22nd September 2005, 14:27
Hi any one remember the little russion (Cloud) ships or the K class boats ?

pete
29th September 2005, 09:59
Sailed on quite a few K Class and even did 6 Months on the Ibn Al-Haitham whilst she was caught up in the Iran Iraq War. Being at anchor off Umm Qasr for that length of time is no fun for a deep sea laddie however we were on a War Bonus so that made it bearable.......................pete

baileysan
3rd October 2005, 20:20
Joined KSC in 1975 and sailed on russian built Feodosia and Behsitza class. Took the first "K" Class Al Mubarakiah from Goven as C/E. Came ashore with KSC thence UASC and spent 5 years in Liverpool office and 9 years in Kuwait. Ended up as Technical Manager. Would love to hear from any of guys who sailed with them. In its heyday it was a great company.

myers
24th November 2005, 17:52
You must be Tom (Brian) Bailey from the north east you sailed as 2/E myself Dave Myers and George Witham were your two juniors.

Previously you were with Runcimans I think on the Scorton. am I right. If I am I have a picture of you in Port Louis On the Al Kadisiah

Dave Myers

japottinger
24th November 2005, 20:09
Do you recall Jack (?) Duncan, eng supt.?

japottinger
24th November 2005, 20:15
Spent a couple of months out at Hyundai in Korea installing the stern glands, did they do OK?
Others there in the Forgeignrs Hotel (sic) were (?) Richardson and a lad from Belfast, both installing the H&W and Kincaid engines, also Archie(?) Kelly from Hasties steering gear. An experience never forgotten and never to be repeated.

bobjones
24th November 2005, 20:35
Hi Tom

I was Agent at Tilbury together with Pete McAuliffe when the K class came on line, remember those as good days, don't see many posts from crew from
UASC or Kuwait Shipping nor do we see too many old faces in Tilbury.

Still give some work to Terry Smith who was with Dave Martin

gunther lorenzen junior
29th November 2005, 11:00
Hello everybody,

Have worked as stevedoring agent with K Class ships in Santos/Brazil, however at this time british people were gone, vessels beeing under indian/paquistan command. We loaded steel products in Argentina and most breakbulk in Brazil. Cntrs were loaded on 2/5 hatches on top of boards and lashed with chains, twistlock shoes available only on 3/4 hatches. Have heard some stories regarding "FATHULKHAIR" considered an unlucky ship. Remember she collided and sunk "ONIBE" around South Africa.
Sad to know that there are few ships still trading.

Chers,
Junior

baileysan
2nd December 2005, 11:27
You must be Tom (Brian) Bailey from the north east you sailed as 2/E myself Dave Myers and George Witham were your two juniors.

Previously you were with Runcimans I think on the Scorton. am I right. If I am I have a picture of you in Port Louis On the Al Kadisiah

Dave Myers

Dave
Nice to hear from you. I did reply to your e-mail. I am now retired and living on the Wirral. We moved down here mid 70;s when i came ashore with KSC.

Interested to see the photo, happy days going to Mauritius, we have toyed with the idea of going there for a holiday. Maybe
Keep in touch

baileysan
2nd December 2005, 11:30
Hi Tom

I was Agent at Tilbury together with Pete McAuliffe when the K class came on line, remember those as good days, don't see many posts from crew from

Bob
Nice to hear from you after all this time. I also do not see too many old faces from KSC-UASC days.
I keep in touch with Malcolm Hedley, he lives in New York working for OSG.
How about you, what are you doing these days? and Terry.
Best regards
Tom

baileysan
2nd December 2005, 11:37
Spent a couple of months out at Hyundai in Korea installing the stern glands, did they do OK?
Others there in the Forgeignrs Hotel (sic) were (?) Richardson and a lad from Belfast, both installing the H&W and Kincaid engines, also Archie(?) Kelly from Hasties steering gear. An experience never forgotten and never to be repeated.

Jack was my boss for many years, he died way back 1978??

Yes I remember the seals very well. They gave us some hairy moments and unforseen drydockings. Eventually the outboards were changed.

Don,t know if you have ever been back to Hyundai in recent years, I have spent some considerable time there and it is quite amazing, the size,the output of ships and engines and the quality.
You would be out there with Maurice Hennon, electrician from KSC(UASC)
he is still working out there!!

Nice to hear from you.
Regards

japottinger
3rd December 2005, 12:04
Hello Tom, thanks for coming back.
Re glands, just as I feared!
They were very much a Jack Duncan baby.
Will post a few shots of Hyundai taken when there, even then was an amazing place. They lifted the B&W's in to the ship in one piece after building on the dockside, the Kincaids lad only agreed to this by putting strain gauges between the crank webs over night to check any deflection in the morning, when we came to check all the gauges were gone, the Koreans said, Oh we could not leave them there as they would be pinched! Anyway the engines were loaded in one piece, Hyundai said why have double 300 ton cranes if we cannot use them.
After a week I had to get a bike as was knackered walking all around the yard, had to put a 1,000 WON deposit on it too. Food in the "hotel" was terrible, esp. the kimchi, cabbage buried for about a month then dug up and cooked, least thats is what it tasted like, hot water went off at 1800 hrs etc etc. All my phone call to home office were tapped and when I left I had a suitcase of letters to post from the lads (a few had gone native!)there, apparently the stamps had a fatal attaction and were removed after posting!
Regards,
Jim

sfmillsy
7th February 2006, 18:13
Hello, Steve Mills here.

I am really getting into this site..great for a chin wag and sharing information and old yarns.

I joined UASC from Common Brothers in 1978. I must say I really enjoyed my time with them.

I was damned lucky though. I handed my notice in in 1983 to come ashore (managed to join the Fire Service and am retiring this year) and three months later they changed to Asian officers and got rid of the likes of me.

I will have to go up the loft to dig out my discharge certificates for a run-down of the ships I sailed on. The last one was the container vessel 'Dubai'. I joined her at Hyundai's in Ulsan.

I always managed to get a raging stomach bug while I was there as I also joined the 'Barzan' afew years earlier.

Should be able to post a few pics in the next few days.

All the best.

tunatownshipwreck
8th February 2006, 04:23
1970, on the "Kuwait Horizon" or "Dawn Of Kuwait", I knew a Spanish R/O who spoke excellent English called "Lolo", which I thought only meant grandpa, but I found out later it's short for Manuel or some other name that starts with an M. He was actually in his twenties, and was called up for one year military service, and we lost contact. Anyone ever know this guy?

Howard S
22nd September 2007, 23:03
Sailed on quite a few K Class and even did 6 Months on the Ibn Al-Haitham whilst she was caught up in the Iran Iraq War. Being at anchor off Umm Qasr for that length of time is no fun for a deep sea laddie however we were on a War Bonus so that made it bearable.......................pete

I left Ibn Al Haitham in Kuwait 9/80 and a few days before she proceeded to Basrah and her fate. I was always fairly lucky like that; I left the Ibn Rushd before her grounding in Taiwan as well, and another (Ibn Sina maybe?) in Lisbon before she either grounded or had a collision in the Elbe.... I think. (I recall a comment made that it's fine to sail with him - just make sure you pay off when he does!!) Ibn Al Haitham was a happy ship - Capt. Wilkinson will forever stay in my memories! He was quite a character. I enjoyed my few years with UASC 79-84 after which I came ashore. Really I saw the end of the MN as we all knew it.
PS I believe one of the Russian built ships was caught up there with the Haitham?

David Wilcockson
23rd September 2007, 15:59
Does anyone remember Bill Sadler from the USAC Liverpool office, Personnel Dept. He bailed out from Moss Hutchinson shortly after P & O`s mass desecration of all the individual shppg companies.
David

rothesian
23rd September 2007, 16:39
Does anyone remember Bill Sadler from the Liverpool office, Personnel Dept. He bailed out from Moss Hutchinson shortly after P & O`s mass desecration of all the individual shppg companies.
David

remember Bill Saddler from my Moss Hutchison days 67-70 - also a George Roberts??
rgds
Alistair

Howard S
6th January 2008, 21:54
Hi Tom

Bob; Drifting through the site (the archives actually) I realise yours is a very familiar name - ED's, Palm and One UASC (Addiriyah) saw me in Tilbury. Your familiar figure would always be there when we arrived, with mail and money to pay off! See my posting under other Companies/Ships entitled UASC - am trying to get pictures of ships I sailed in in UASC. Have only found one out of nine. Seems as though you may be the right person to ask. Are you still in Tilbury?
Best regards,
Howard

baileysan
7th January 2008, 20:24
Had a drink with Bill Sadler couple of weeks ago in Liverpool. He was looking well although he did tell me he was battlling cancer unfortunately.
Bill was the last representative of UASC in Liverpool. A great chap and gentleman.

Bill Davies
7th January 2008, 21:08
Does the name Blundell ring any bells? Ch.Eng in UASC 70s if memory serves me right.

Moulder
7th January 2008, 21:48
Does the name Blundell ring any bells? Ch.Eng in UASC 70s if memory serves me right.

Ding Dong.
Do you mean 'Gil' Blundell? He was Chief Engineer when I sailed with him on Al Ahmadiah in 1972. Nice bloke.

Steve
(Thumb)

baileysan
8th January 2008, 16:29
Gil Blundel. Sailed with him on Al Kadasiah 1968 I was 2/Eng. Gil was doing his first trip C/Eng.
He was then Superintendent whilst I was Chief on the 1st Al Mubarakiah we spent some 8 weeks in Hamburg at MAN Engine works. Great time. Gil was a really nice bloke, he left soon after (for whatever reason?) and I often wondered what became of him.

Bill Davies
8th January 2008, 17:37
That's the man! From Formby I think. He was 2nd Engineer with me in 77. I think it was his first trip FOC (ex Silver Marine).

baileysan
8th January 2008, 19:30
I remember he was ex Cunard on the intermediate vessels. He was from Formby.

Bill Davies
8th January 2008, 19:51
A few more names who I met in Jebel Dhanna although they were not tankers men. Ishak Kazi and Osama Masri both Yemeni and both ex BF. They were working for ADCO on the SBMs

Moulder
10th January 2008, 13:54
Did anyone ever sail with Brian Horrod - Master with KSC?

Steve.
(Thumb)

baileysan
10th January 2008, 17:47
Not actually sailed with him but knew him very well. One of life's characters and he and I had some great times together. I understand his wife was very ill when he left KSC.

Moulder
12th January 2008, 20:15
Indeed - I had 3 excellent voyages with him - 2 on Al Ahamadiah and 1 on Al Shamiah.

Steve.
(Thumb)

John Campbell
12th January 2008, 22:28
I got to know Brian in Aberdeen where he worked in the Offsore Oil Industry . I last saw him on the Canal di Medi, France 2000, he had retired and sunk his savings in a very large cruiser which he was restoring and planning to voyage to Greece and I have not seen him since then.
Brain was a highly rated consultant and advised on many complicated rig moves.
JC

Moulder
19th January 2008, 19:22
Anybody sail with Toni Bassi - Master K.S.C. ?

(Thumb)

stan mayes
19th January 2008, 21:04
Hello Moulder,
Maybe I sailed with Captain Bassi but I thought his name was Captain Bassey?
I was a rigger and we went to Bilbao to help sail IBN KHALDOON to Antwerp.
The ship did not complete her maiden voyage as she was gutted by fire..
The details are in the thread 'Looking for some pictures' with my posting in reply to Howard Spittle..
If you are in contact with Captain Bassi [was he a Scotsman?] -please convey best wishes from the riggers who were his crew for 12 days during 1972..
We were very upset when we learned of the loss of that fine ship...
Regards,
Stan Mayes

Moulder
20th January 2008, 21:33
Hi Stan,

The chap I sailed with was Toni Bassi - I don't think it was the same skipper that was on Ibn Khaldoon.

I was with Toni on Al Mubarakiah in 1975.

Regards,

Steve.
(Thumb)

Bill Davies
20th January 2008, 21:54
Anyone sail with an Electrician (Al Mubarakiah maybe) by the name Tony Farrell from Wallasey.

stan mayes
20th January 2008, 23:37
Hello Steve,
Check the thread 'Looking for pictures'.
Baileysan replied to my posting and he is acquainted with Captain Bassi but does not mention his forename..
Coincidentally he was Chief Engineer in IBN KHALDOON at the time we riggers helped sail the ship - Bilbao for Antwerp..
Regards - Stan

Moulder
21st January 2008, 11:25
Hello Steve,
Check the thread 'Looking for pictures'.
Baileysan replied to my posting and he is acquainted with Captain Bassi but does not mention his forename..
Coincidentally he was Chief Engineer in IBN KHALDOON at the time we riggers helped sail the ship - Bilbao for Antwerp..
Regards - Stan

Wotcha Stan,

Yep - saw that post. Baileysan and myself both sailed together on the maiden voyage of Al Mubarakiah in July '74 - I actually completed the whole 13 month guarantee voyage and had a nice lot of leave after that.

Regards,

Steve.
(Thumb)

stan mayes
21st January 2008, 14:52
Hi Steve,
Checking my work diaries I worked on AL MUBARAKIAH in Tilbury Dock on 15th to 19th July 1974 and again on 12th to 16th September 1975 so must have been the times when you first joined and later paid off..
The amount of cargo loaded into those ships was incredible - army tanks - transformers - 20 ton drums of cable - heavy machinery - pipes - and containers... We were always kept very busy in lashing and securing it..
Regards,
Stan

Moulder
21st January 2008, 14:59
Hi Steve,
Checking my work diaries I worked on AL MUBARAKIAH in Tilbury Dock on 15th to 19th July 1974 and again on 12th to 16th September 1975 so must have been the times when you first joined and later paid off..
The amount of cargo loaded into those ships was incredible - army tanks - transformers - 20 ton drums of cable - heavy machinery - pipes - and containers... We were always kept very busy in lashing and securing it..
Regards,
Stan

Hi Stan,
Yep - I was onboard when you were there in July '74 and remember those tanks that we were taking out for the Dubai Defence Force - the 3rd mate got a ride in one of 'em in Dubai. I paid off the following year in Antwerp where she drydocked but came back for a day in Tilbury to get my 90 watt quadraphonic gear off. I had a chunk of leave then re-joined her for a further couple of voyages at the Shat-al-arab in the new year of '76. It was the latter voyage that Toni Bassi joined as Master for a while.

Cheers,

Steve.
(Thumb)

stan mayes
21st January 2008, 18:38
Thankyou for replying Steve..
A small world indeed!!
Stan

baileysan
21st January 2008, 20:20
A small world indeed. It is the same Tony Bassi. He joined the Ibn Khaldoun in Bilboa on his first voyage as Master. We had spent some time down there taking the vessel over from her Spanish owners. The delivery voyage was quite eventful, I left in Antwerp.
Our paths crossed many times after that, mainly in Japan,then he was Master on the the first "big" container vessel Dubai.
A great guy. I still am in touch with him and his wife Ann. I will certainly pass on the gist of this correspondance.

Moulder
22nd January 2008, 12:36
Thanks Tom - it is the one and same then as he was accompanied by Ann on the Al Mubarakiah - her brother (Ken Walton) was an op at Portishead and made me very welcome when I visited the Station of the Nation a few months later.

Steve.
(Thumb)

johnclement
22nd February 2008, 17:17
Bob; Drifting through the site (the archives actually) I realise yours is a very familiar name - ED's, Palm and One UASC (Addiriyah) saw me in Tilbury. Your familiar figure would always be there when we arrived, with mail and money to pay off! See my posting under other Companies/Ships entitled UASC - am trying to get pictures of ships I sailed in in UASC. Have only found one out of nine. Seems as though you may be the right person to ask. Are you still in Tilbury?
Best regards,
Howard
If you go to Fotolite's website you could find quite a few ship photos. They took over from Skyfotos

Their website is: http://www.fotoflite.co.uk/index.php

John Clement
ex UASC and LOF

Suntrader1
24th April 2008, 21:11
Hello, All.

This is Kevin Roach.. Just discovered and immdeiately signed up with this distinguished site.

- Sailed on the Ibn Battotah .. any one have an idea where she is now? I hear three of the K-Class ships are still plying the high seas under UASC.. Look forward to staying in touch with the "K-Klub".

Kevin

Bill Davies
24th April 2008, 21:27
Does anyone remember an Electrician in UASC called Tony Farrell from Wallasey

pete
25th April 2008, 10:13
I am sure that one of the "K" class still sailing is the Ibn Bassam. Sailed on her three times in the 80's as Mate so must have a good maintainence job on her LOL....................pete

anthony cameron
7th May 2008, 14:10
Joined KSC/UASC as a Eng Cadet & finished up as 3rd Eng when i was finished in 86
Al Ahmadiah 07/78 - 01/79
Ibn Qutaibah 03/79 - 08/79
Al Kadisiah 07/80 - 01/81
Ibn Zuhr 04/81 -08/81
Al Khalidiah 10/81 - 12/81
Jilfar 12/81 - 03/82
Ibn Rushd 04/82 - 07/82
Tabuk 11/82 - 03/83
Jilfar 07/83 -01/84
Ibn Hazm 03/84 - 08/84
Al Ahmadiah 01/85 - 05/85
Ibn Al Roomi 08/85 - 11/85
Al Shamiah 11/85 - 12/85(Laid up Jebel Ali)
Khalid Ibn Al Waleed 03/86 - 08/86(laid up Antwerp)
Had a Blast with this co & loved every minute.Love to hear from anyone i sailed with.

Keckers
18th May 2008, 08:27
Was radio officer on for a while with these guys. Loved every minute (more or less). Seemed to get stuck on the Gulf-Japan run all the time - although did one memorable trip to South America - yahoo!!

Was on the Al Omariah, Al Gurainiah, Ibn Bajjah (for about 7 months - doing a "tax year"), Ibn Shuhaid, Al Mubarakiah (when she was sold to the Germans) and a few others whose names I've forgotten - will need to dig out the old discharge book when I get home from offshore to see what else I sailed on. That was "little russians", one "big russian" (forgotten the name) that had been converted in Cadiz to a container ship, and "K class"(es).

Most of the names of the lads are long forgotten in the dim distant past.

allan1948
26th May 2008, 19:33
Joined KSC in 1975 and sailed on russian built Feodosia and Behsitza class. Took the first "K" Class Al Mubarakiah from Goven as C/E. Came ashore with KSC thence UASC and spent 5 years in Liverpool office and 9 years in Kuwait. Ended up as Technical Manager. Would love to hear from any of guys who sailed with them. In its heyday it was a great company.

My second ship with ksc was the AL FARWANAH which i joined in London as j/e. She was in drydock for inspection having run aground off Mexico. We took her up to Wallsend for repairs and I'm sure you were the chief engineer (Tom Bailey] and as we had no 2nd/eng you did the watch, Jimmy Dyson was the 3rd/eng.
That was in 1973 but you say you did not join ksc til 1975 so I must be mistaken.
I left in 1986 and met some great characters, JImmy for one, little Jimmy Allen 3/e from glasgow and Graham (sludge ) Philips 4/e to name but a few.

regards,
ALLAN W

stan mayes
26th May 2008, 22:19
Hello Allan,
In case Tom Bailey misses your post I think he will excuse me for replying to it.
Tom was with UASC before 1975 as I made a run job in Ibn Khaldoon during February 1974..Bilbao for Antwerp..
Tom was in the ship during that time..
Regards - Stan

baileysan
27th May 2008, 20:35
Allan
Yes I was Chief on the Farwaniah, I joined KSC long before 1975, I must have been having one of my senior moments. In fact 1975 was when I came ashore as Superintendent with them. I remember you from that voyage. I still keep in touch with Jim Dyson,him and I sailed together a couple of times after Al Farwaniah, He went ashore and took a pub in Tynemouth only retired lately. I see him evey time I go up NE if fact hope to see him in the next few weeks. As you say some great characters. Nice to hear from you. Keep in touch

baileysan
27th May 2008, 20:40
Tony
Must have ran across each other some time during your time. My memory grows dim with passing years.

baileysan
27th May 2008, 20:44
Keckers
3 Feodosia. Al Ahamadiah, Al Shamiah & Al Rumithiah all converted to FCV in Cadiz.

Keckers
27th May 2008, 23:32
I'm sure it was the Al Shamiah I was on- the Medi to gulf run. Hated every second, in fact hated all the russian ships.

Moulder
28th May 2008, 10:38
I'm sure it was the Al Shamiah I was on- the Medi to gulf run. Hated every second, in fact hated all the russian ships.

Hi Keckers,

If it was Al Shamiah - then her callsign 9KCJ might ring a bell. Was it Marconi gear you had or still the russian equipment?

(Thumb)

allan1948
19th July 2008, 19:46
hi HOWARD,
The al Sabahiah was the russian ship caught up in Basra at that time. I joined it in late 1983 as 3rd /eng. with Captain Jim Wilkie only two of us on board. A couple of the lads from the Ibn Al Haitham would come up to Basra every Friday and we would meet in the local office and then have lunch somewhere and a beer. We went down to the Haitham for xmas lunch. Shortly after xmas 6 of us were sort of arrested and carted off up to Baghdad, myself (Allan Walton), Captain Wilkie and from the haitham, Ian Laing ch/eng, jeff Lawson 3rd. eng, Billy Williams 4th. eng and Bob Barnard elect. Never came across any of those lads again except Capt. Wilkie when on my last trip 1986 in Santos I found out he was ill and visited him in hospital. Often wonder what became of those lads?

regards,
Allan W

baileysan
21st July 2008, 20:57
Allen W
I knew all those guys very well unfortunatly like yourself I lost track of them. Jim Wilkie and I had some great times in drydock together, he was one of the good guys no airs and graces. I remember he was partner in a Chinese restaurant somewhre in Glasgow.
I was on the Al Sabahiah for two/three voyages. We where the first liner service out of Japan for KSC. Great voyage, I was 2/E, George Gregory C/E, and Brian Groom Master. Happy days although those Russian ships kept you busy.

tontoandsilver
18th October 2008, 20:10
(Cloud) I remember he was ex Cunard on the intermediate vessels. He was from Formby.

I sailed with Ghyl Blundel 1967 and Jimmy McCall on the Al Rumathiah. Gil left to start a Bed and Breakfast Business I was told. A complete gentleman he inspired me to go up for my ticket. Jimmy McCall came from Kircaldy
Tont

gandalf
28th November 2008, 15:35
Hi Steve, I sailed with Brian when he was mate on the SALAMIAH in 1966,yes he was, and still is a a great character. I first met him when we were both in Nigerian National Line. Rember whacky Jacky and Capt (the con )Crennel.

Phil H.

Brian Clark Springhall
1st December 2008, 15:46
Hi Alan, Dont know if you remember me on the IBN HAZM 1986 down on the Brazil coast. Have a photo of you and a junior engineer on Copacobana beach.I was chief Engineer at the time. I remember most of the names on the site and keep in touch with three or four, I am sure you remember Capt Jim Wilkie from Glasgow, he sadly passed away last year.

Bill Davies
1st December 2008, 16:48
Any of you remember an Ihaq Kazi (Yemeni Master).

baileysan
1st December 2008, 20:47
Brian

Nice to see your name, been a long time. Re your post I saw George Donnison a few months ago still going strong. Willy Seybold last heard of in the IOM. Jack Duncan and Ron Crennall sure you have heard long time deceased.
Enjoying your retirement??

riley
2nd December 2008, 11:16
Sailed as a junior engineer on the Al Mubarakhia in '69. I remember George Gugala Alan Christie 2/e. I think the 4th was Jim Dyson and the Leccy was called Maurice. The old man was Capt. Nelson. Can see the Chief now but have forgotten his name, it was a long time ago but they were a good crowd.

baileysan
4th December 2008, 21:24
riley
Quite possibly C/E George Douglas. Have just heard the other day Capt. Nelson died. Great guy. Jim Dyson still going strong, unfortunatly Maurice Hennon (lecky) died couple of years ago.
I also remember Gugala and Alan Christie very well.

AlbieR
5th December 2008, 03:24
Riley
Chief could have been Keith Dancey. I did the trip 1968/1969 paid off in Birkenhead in April while she was discharging chrome ore from LM. Maurice and Jim were going on leave to rejoin her.

country Captain
28th December 2008, 14:40
Was 2/E on Al Salamiah in '77 on Jap coast. Went on razzle with the Chief on the Motomachi and ended up in Baileysans watering-hole. Demanded his bottle of Black & White whiskey, had a nip each, re-marked the level on the label and wrote "Howay the Lads". Giggled all the way back in the taxi, all innocent fun.

baileysan
6th January 2009, 20:08
I remember that episode in the murky past although I cannot place the name of who did the deed. A henious crime, although i did go through a few more bottles in later years.

John Pugh
15th January 2009, 04:33
Tom Bailey,
John Pugh here, still in dxb but about to retire. Dave Short here in his own business. I am DPA, sorry DP World but now had enough of working. I see some names I remember. Capt. Bill Nelson as you know recently died. he actually only retired last year at 86 years old!!

baileysan
19th January 2009, 20:26
John

Nice to hear from you. I met up with David some years ago in Dubai when my son was working in Abu Dhabi. Give him my best regards,I hear good things about his company.
Sad about Bill Nelson, but what a life and the stories that could be told.
Not sure if you heard Maurice Hennon died couple of years ago, in Korea.
I was at a small KSC(UASC) get together in a Liverpool pub the other week. Rod Brockbank, Peter Nash, a few Liverpool Office guys plus one or two others.
Quite a few ex KSC get on this site, takes you back a while. My regards to all mutual aquaintances.
Keep in touch

Brian Clark Springhall
5th February 2009, 10:35
Brian

Nice to see your name, been a long time. Re your post I saw George Donnison a few months ago still going strong. Willy Seybold last heard of in the IOM. Jack Duncan and Ron Crennall sure you have heard long time deceased.
Enjoying your retirement??

HelloTom,
Haven't been on the site for a while and just noted your reply, I keep in touch with Barry Barnes unfortunately he now has Parkinsons Disease, Don Warwick (Captain) lives in same village as Barry. Faik toney on the North Sea support vessels, Mike Hodder (Captain) enjoying retirement in Salcombe Devon. Albie has been in touch through site and am in touch with a George McBride who was with the company in the early seventies as a permit 2nd, maybe you remember him.

AlbieR
6th February 2009, 19:34
Hi Tom,
Thought I would post you the names in that photo I sent you to see how many you got right, Left to right Harbour Master? Mayor of Kobe? You, Pete (Pip) Walton (Capt), John Lord (C/O), Miss Kobe, John Dyke (J/E), Dave Goodhand (C/E), Ian Askew (4/E), Clive Jones (2/O) , John Kinnard (Lecky), Me (3/E) Ron Parry (C/S). The ship was the ill- fated Ibn Al Beitar. If anyone spots their name and wants a copy of the photo send me a PM or email and I will forward it. I have another one taken the same day with Kevin Whittaker, John Lord, Don Ross (2/E), Ian Askew and Steve??? (J/E).
Looking at the number of hits that this page has had it would be interesting to see if we have a full crew to sail on of the small Russians amongst our readers. So come out of the woodwork and let's see if we can put together a motley crew. The only stipulation is you have sailed in the rank. We have you as Super (or stand-by Chief), need someone in personnel, I'll go 3/E, So lets go on a trip, Gulf, Mauritius (Golden Moon) Lourenco Marques (Trip up the river Incomati) and I am sure there are lots more places to remember. Not that anybody remembered much about Mauritius, the bouncers used to stand outside the Golden Moon throwing people in!!

Regards
Albie

baileysan
8th February 2009, 16:16
Brian
I have spoken to Barry, bad news re Parkinson, I see Fiak Tony every few months , we get together for a beer in Liverpool. I spoke to larry Blunt last few weeks he is in UK hope to meet up with him.

baileysan
8th February 2009, 16:18
Albie
Thanks your run down I had got a few names right but the memory banks fading.
Met Malcolm Hedley yesterday just retired, another oldie.
My computor out for a few days some problems however will keep in touch when up and running again

hendrix
13th February 2009, 09:47
I left Ibn Al Haitham in Kuwait 9/80 and a few days before she proceeded to Basrah and her fate. I was always fairly lucky like that; I left the Ibn Rushd before her grounding in Taiwan as well, and another (Ibn Sina maybe?) in Lisbon before she either grounded or had a collision in the Elbe.... I think. (I recall a comment made that it's fine to sail with him - just make sure you pay off when he does!!) Ibn Al Haitham was a happy ship - Capt. Wilkinson will forever stay in my memories! He was quite a character. I enjoyed my few years with UASC 79-84 after which I came ashore. Really I saw the end of the MN as we all knew it.
PS I believe one of the Russian built ships was caught up there with the Haitham?
The AL Sabahia was caught up the the 1st gulf war, I sailed on her and was expecting a long anchorage at the Shatt, however after a short stay (2 days) we proceded up the river to Basrah, I believe the Ibn Al Haitham was already at Umm Qaser as we past. The next couple od days were tense with a gun boat moored just up the river firing into space at about 4.30 every evening( it transpired that they were firing at a satelite) Cannot remember exactly how long we were alongside, however I have a good number of photos of a refinery being bombed and on fire. We heard that the haitham had been hit by a bomb or missile, and I believe that there was no casualities. As I said I cannot remember how long it was we were along side, On of our Junior engineers was transfered to the Haitham, and we were all taken by road back to Kuwait. Spent quite a long time at the kuwaiti / iraqi boarder trying to get through. When in Kuwait we were given our war bonus in cash, however somebody declaired it to HMRC and the rest is history. On a different tack I spent a good bit of time in Tiawan on the IBN Rushd prior to her undocking and trials after her serious grounding. Regards Phill

hendrix
13th February 2009, 10:20
Liverpool office "George Weston" or Monty weston and his flying juniors. He had more junior engineers in the air, than any of the ships. Good times

eigyro
22nd February 2009, 23:52
Hi Albie, You can put me down for R/O on M.V. Ibn Al Nostalgiah. ( I know they dont have R/Os anymore, but what the hell.)

I enjoyed five years (74-79) with KSC/UASC on Al Mansouriah, Al Aridhiah, Al Salimiah, Al Salehiah, Al Sabahiah, and Al Ahmadiah.

Cheers,

Fergus Kavanagh.

IAINT
23rd February 2009, 19:06
Any one out there know what happened to Frank Pinkey-Loftus Ch.Stwd sailed
with him a couple of times.

Iain T

AlbieR
23rd February 2009, 21:30
Hi Fergus,
Welcome aboard, I was going to call it Al Avabiah but Ibn Al Nostalgiah sounds better in these days of D&A policies. I don't thimk I could have survived the small Russians up the Gulf without a beer after the watch. I have a few photos of them if you let me know if you want one. Your name rings a bell. Any other ranks out there want to sign up for a trip down memory lane?
Albie

Howard S
28th February 2009, 19:08
HelloTom,
Haven't been on the site for a while and just noted your reply, I keep in touch with Barry Barnes unfortunately he now has Parkinsons Disease, Don Warwick (Captain) lives in same village as Barry. Faik toney on the North Sea support vessels, Mike Hodder (Captain) enjoying retirement in Salcombe Devon. Albie has been in touch through site and am in touch with a George McBride who was with the company in the early seventies as a permit 2nd, maybe you remember him.

Well that answers a question I have had for years, have always wondered if Faik Toney was around and had escaped all the problems of his country, that would be Iraq not Liverpool!! I sailed with him in the early 80's when he was C/O, cannot recall which ship now. Might have been Ibn Rushd as I was in her twice. I believe he did get his command with UASC? A gentleman. This site is really all about memory lane....days that will not be repeated that is for sure.

Brian Clark Springhall
12th March 2009, 10:57
Brian
I have spoken to Barry, bad news re Parkinson, I see Fiak Tony every few months , we get together for a beer in Liverpool. I spoke to larry Blunt last few weeks he is in UK hope to meet up with him.

Me again Tom, if you see George Donnison again give him my regards, sailed with him twice as 2nd engineer, first time on the Kadisiah in 1972 when the steward stabbed him and he was paid off in Karachi, Tony Griffiths was mate and took over for the trip into the gulf, I met him again when I was sailing for Jardines. Next time with George was when I did a pierhead jump on the Al Omariah at Shueikh port, with Ralph Harris, I think he was quite glad to see me as he had had a few problems. Also my regards to Larry Blunt, he always looked after me and was a great guy.

Brian Clark Springhall
12th March 2009, 11:16
Well that answers a question I have had for years, have always wondered if Faik Toney was around and had escaped all the problems of his country, that would be Iraq not Liverpool!! I sailed with him in the early 80's when he was C/O, cannot recall which ship now. Might have been Ibn Rushd as I was in her twice. I believe he did get his command with UASC? A gentleman. This site is really all about memory lane....days that will not be repeated that is for sure.

Hi Howard, dont think that we sailed together, I had the Rushd new from govan as 2/E Roy Emmas was chief. Sailed with Faik a couple of times when he was 2nd mate,I think Ibn Al Atheer & Asikir didn't know he was Iraqi and was on the poop with him coming into Kuwait and said(if its one thing I can't stand its a happy Arab) Faik just said neither can I. We became good friends and I made him a brass ships anchor when he obtained his masters. After the invasion of Kuwait he was selling insurance and I was instumental in getting him a job as mate with Jardines where he became master again. A nice well spoken guy with a lovely wife Eileen still plugging away on North Sea vessels.

Brian Clark Springhall
12th March 2009, 11:29
Hi Fergus,
Welcome aboard, I was going to call it Al Avabiah but Ibn Al Nostalgiah sounds better in these days of D&A policies. I don't thimk I could have survived the small Russians up the Gulf without a beer after the watch. I have a few photos of them if you let me know if you want one. Your name rings a bell. Any other ranks out there want to sign up for a trip down memory lane?
Albie

Hi albie, I'm game for 2nd or Chief, how about Tony Owens for Bun Man, he was with us on the Rushd out of Govan. I have great memories of Mauritius, did that run on three occasions and made good friends with a Mrs Koo who was Irish and married to a chinese doctor. Wonder what happened to Dot and Norman from the mariners club. I had a j/e John Seffen who was robbed at knifepoint by the taxi driver whilst returning from the Golden moon, Kevin Lloyd was 4th another old name, Ian Angus was third I think, or was it Ralph Harris.

PierreR
12th March 2009, 12:16
Is that you Albie , we were together in Cadiz when the 3 russian ships were being converted?

It's Pierre from Mauritius originally. I'm in Canberra now.

I've just found this site; hope to hear from you

Brian Clark Springhall
12th March 2009, 20:58
The AL Sabahia was caught up the the 1st gulf war, I sailed on her and was expecting a long anchorage at the Shatt, however after a short stay (2 days) we proceded up the river to Basrah, I believe the Ibn Al Haitham was already at Umm Qaser as we past. The next couple od days were tense with a gun boat moored just up the river firing into space at about 4.30 every evening( it transpired that they were firing at a satelite) Cannot remember exactly how long we were alongside, however I have a good number of photos of a refinery being bombed and on fire. We heard that the haitham had been hit by a bomb or missile, and I believe that there was no casualities. As I said I cannot remember how long it was we were along side, On of our Junior engineers was transfered to the Haitham, and we were all taken by road back to Kuwait. Spent quite a long time at the kuwaiti / iraqi boarder trying to get through. When in Kuwait we were given our war bonus in cash, however somebody declaired it to HMRC and the rest is history. On a different tack I spent a good bit of time in Tiawan on the IBN Rushd prior to her undocking and trials after her serious grounding. Regards Phill
I was up on the Haitham with gentleman Jim Wilkie, others were Drennon the lecky and Eddie( bring em back alive) Brown alias Rambo. Chief Steward.The guy who declared the war bonus to HMRC was the one and only Terry Boyd (mate) a great person who had a habit of falling asleep during the films we showed in the saloon he was ex 3rd mate cunard,same as pip Walton. Another ex Cunard in fact officer of the day when the two queers got hitched on the Queen Elizabeth was Captain Teapot Jones, he was an absolute gentleman. So many memories and so many names, a huge part of my life at sea. Regards Brian

baileysan
13th March 2009, 21:04
Brian
You have a good memory and it brings back lots of memories for me. I did go back to Mauritius and met up with Norman and Dot, great couple. I am actually thinking of a holiday there might be interesting!!.
Hope to see Fiak next few weeks, we meet up and have a beer in Liverpool.
Keep in touch

hendrix
15th March 2009, 20:00
whilst having more than my fare share of Small Russians Al sabahia (abandoned at Basrah) Al gurainiah (left Kuwait drydock (blacked out) and Al Mubarakia (full sea going load on 1 genny) I ended up on the 2nd generation of box boats Dubai, Khalid ibn al waleed & Qatari ibn al fujar. I spent probably the last three years on these ships. (Hard working, reliable) with the same boys. These second generation of box boats H2'S later to be named A2's are tiny in comparason to the monsters of today. I often think of the good and bad times on these vessels and thing of the stars that made up the crew. Hilton Begg, Little Norman the (Leky). Pete the Feet (Leky) Gordon Bubear (CE) Alf Peasron (now a lloyds surveyor in Denmark) Alan speding, Jimmy (Leky from chester-le street) and all the other stars that I forgotton the names, however the faces are still etched in my mind. Very goodtimes

Regards Hendrix

Howard S
16th March 2009, 19:56
Hi Howard, dont think that we sailed together, I had the Rushd new from govan as 2/E Roy Emmas was chief. Sailed with Faik a couple of times when he was 2nd mate,I think Ibn Al Atheer & Asikir didn't know he was Iraqi and was on the poop with him coming into Kuwait and said(if its one thing I can't stand its a happy Arab) Faik just said neither can I. We became good friends and I made him a brass ships anchor when he obtained his masters. After the invasion of Kuwait he was selling insurance and I was instumental in getting him a job as mate with Jardines where he became master again. A nice well spoken guy with a lovely wife Eileen still plugging away on North Sea vessels.

Thanks Brian - I left UASC in 84 and migrated to the States and then ended up in the Caribbean, ben here almost 20 years now. The camaraderie of the Merch will never be equalled. This website brings back so many memories.
Regards,

Peter Nash
17th March 2009, 14:06

Well -as most will recall started the first liner service from the continent and Liverpool in 1966 with the Salimiah (Ex Clarkforth) and Al MubarakiahEx Jolanda) -think I have photos somewhere -reverting-

We then needed back up tonnage in very short order which is what prompted the inclusion of the Bezhitsa 12/Feodosia 3 class Russian built tonnage which were readilly available allthough they caused major stress and strain to the Engineering Managment but in eccononic terms proved to be money spinners and gave us the basis to build up reserves for the next stage of developement with the introduction of the what where to be called K class originally from Govan then from Korea . In adition we had the 3 mini vessels IBN MAJID etc which ended up as service/feeder ships in the Gulf and sub continent trade as they were too small for the main line runs which required bigger and bigger capacity they all did good buisness and were the the right thing at the time. The eventually Mania for containersation lead us into whole sale introduction of the full container vessels(Allthough we converted the Feodosias to be look a like vessls but where never really the right thing. There was a lobby mid eighties to ispense with ALL breakbulk tonnage and go container only -Fortunatly sanity prevailed and we continued to me than pay our way with most of the breakbulk tonnage retained . After 1987/8 things went a little pear shaped but the K class fleet as still to be seen on the open charter market well after their alleged Sell by Date which if any thing has to prove the are and attention and EXPENSE incurred in maintaining all the fleet in the early days helped the prolongation of their servicability.

anthony cameron
18th March 2009, 20:28
Hi Fergus,
Albie
Hi Tony Cameron here,would love another trip so sign me up. Ranks were from cadet upto 3/Eng on the ships previously mentioned on page 2. Other ships sailed on were Ibn al Jolson,Ibn al Tab Nab,the Al Diarrhoea and last but not least the Al Ghonarrea.

allan1948
20th October 2009, 18:44
hello Brian, its been quite awhile since I visited this site and therefore come across your meesage. I remember you quite well on the IBN HAZM. I transferred to it in Santos from the AHMED AL FATEH. After the Brazilian coast we went up to New Orleans where I paid off with the J/E Alan Tailor. This turned out to be our last trip as we both received our end of employment letter a few days later. I also remember you when we stood by the laid up vessels in Jubail where you became fond of a game of backgammon. ITs amazing how the years have flown by, nice to hear from Brian.Hi Alan, Dont know if you remember me on the IBN HAZM 1986 down on the Brazil coast. Have a photo of you and a junior engineer on Copacobana beach.I was chief Engineer at the time. I remember most of the names on the site and keep in touch with three or four, I am sure you remember Capt Jim Wilkie from Glasgow, he sadly passed away last year.

Battybob
3rd November 2009, 18:10
Was radio officer on for a while with these guys. Loved every minute (more or less). Seemed to get stuck on the Gulf-Japan run all the time - although did one memorable trip to South America - yahoo!!

Was on the Al Omariah, Al Gurainiah, Ibn Bajjah (for about 7 months - doing a "tax year"), Ibn Shuhaid, Al Mubarakiah (when she was sold to the Germans) and a few others whose names I've forgotten - will need to dig out the old discharge book when I get home from offshore to see what else I sailed on. That was "little russians", one "big russian" (forgotten the name) that had been converted in Cadiz to a container ship, and "K class"(es).

Most of the names of the lads are long forgotten in the dim distant past.

Greetings Mr McKecknie,
recall your South American venture quite well. It spanned Christmas and the grizzly fourth was bitching about this being the first one in eight years he had been away from home...sad. Terry Sweet had a bed breaking experience in Paranagua and fings went better with coke for Graham Barker. Now about that measuring nail we used at smokoo,,,have you got it ??

Regards,

Bob

Battybob
3rd November 2009, 18:33
Riley
Chief could have been Keith Dancey. I did the trip 1968/1969 paid off in Birkenhead in April while she was discharging chrome ore from LM. Maurice and Jim were going on leave to rejoin her.

Hello Albie,
stumbled across this site by accident but your name is familiar to me. We went on a cultual visit to the Sugar Loaf and Christ statue in Rio by bus.........just can't recall the name of the ship !!!
Was possibly the Sina or Arafat ?
Have got it down in a diary somewhere.
Working on ferries now and have stumbled on some other ex UASC leckies in the process...namely Craig Calvert and Tony Bell. Also came across Peter Keen who has since retired to Canterbury. Small world.

Brian Clark Springhall
4th December 2009, 19:39
hello Brian, its been quite awhile since I visited this site and therefore come across your meesage. I remember you quite well on the IBN HAZM. I transferred to it in Santos from the AHMED AL FATEH. After the Brazilian coast we went up to New Orleans where I paid off with the J/E Alan Tailor. This turned out to be our last trip as we both received our end of employment letter a few days later. I also remember you when we stood by the laid up vessels in Jubail where you became fond of a game of backgammon. ITs amazing how the years have flown by, nice to hear from Brian.

Hi Alan Thanks for your reply, yes they were the good old days of long stays in ports, who was the old man on that trip ? cant remember wether it was Mike Hardmeat or Malcolm Youd, but then again I think it was Youd on the HAZM, first trip old man, who led me astray in Santos at the pink panther. Built like the proverbial brick toilet and just as ugly but a good shipmate possibly still sailing as old man somewhere. We all only lasted a year after that and I was given my marching orders in October 1987, sad really as we all thought we had a job for life and KSC was the best company I ever sailed with, a host of characters and good seamen and engineers, they were of course a few cowboys.

Norman Hatton
5th January 2010, 17:23

I was 11 years in UASC on all manner of vessels, best time of my life - finished with 3 years on MV Dubai if you still remember me.

Alan D
17th July 2010, 19:47

How could one ever forget the russian ships, did my first trip on the Shidadiah, a couple on the Aridiah and my most memorable On the Jab,

Best laugh was a section on the main deck under no2 stb hatch ram breaking away and left hanging on the end of the ram in the tween deck.

I have a note book with ten years of crew lists somewhere if anyone is interested I will dig it out and post them when I get home.

Alan Dodd

B.Nicholson
18th August 2010, 23:33

Dave Myers

Scorton was one of Chatty Chapmans of Newcastle

gright
18th December 2010, 21:37
Just found this site.My name is Graham Wright.I sailed with KSC....UASC from 1976 till 1981.I have read through all the posts and so many names bring memories.George Witham,Kinnaird [elec],Malcolm Hedley and many more.The only person I kept in touch with was Barry Coope.He sadly died about died about 2001.His wife Pat is currently in a nursing home inthe Blackpool area.His son Peter works in Doha.Somany happy memories.

Mou1976
6th January 2011, 10:45
I Joined Four Kuwait Shipping Co Ships In Between 1980 And 1983
Ibn Younis, Ibn Alroomi ,ibn Jubayer And Thee Kar.....

LouisB
10th January 2011, 23:41
I've been going through most of the posts in this thread and seeing all of the names mentioned has brought a lot of memories back. I was Electrician with KSC/UASC from 1977 to 1986 (within a year or so anyway) starting of on Al Ahmadiah (?) and then a variety of the smaller Russian vessels and finally ending up on various K class. Many is the time I sat down with Don Warwick with a bottle of Grouse (sans cap) which we proceeded to scupper whilst a jazz record was playing on the Russian gramophone. Ended my sea career in the western cape of S.Africa with a marine salvage company and then came ashore in the UK. After working for thirteen years as engineer i/c for an American pharmaceuticals company I am now retired and living in Seaford, Sussex.

Greetings and salutations to anybody who remembers me.

Regards,

Dave Clarke.

Vince Kim
4th October 2011, 08:40
Does anybody remember Mr. Jack Duncun who used to work for UASC?

I'm Vince Kim working at Shipsales Dep't, Hyundai Heavy Industries.

We are urgently looking for Mr. Duncun's family to commemorate and express our heartfelt appreciation to late Mr. Duncan's honorable achievement and cooperation to Korean Shipbuilding Industry at the early 1970s.

His family will, if they don't mind, be awarded by Korean Government(most likely by Mr. President) in Nov, 2011.

In this regard, if anyone has their contact info or knows anyone who might know them, let me know or convey this message to the relevant person, please.

Looking forward to the delightful news,

Kind regards,

Vince Kim
Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.

MOB : 82) 10 5220 2618
E-MAIL : vincekim81@gmail.com

Peter (Pat) Baker
4th October 2011, 13:52
Gandalf,

You mentioned Capt. Ron Crennal in your post.
Do you remember which company he was with
before he joined Kuwait Shipping Co.?
I'm fairly sure that I sailed with him when he
was Chief Officer just before he joined KSC.
Was he a fairly large man, a bit of a joker and
strictly teetotal?

Pat Baker

baileysan
4th October 2011, 20:12
Gandalf,

You mentioned Capt. Ron Crennal in your post.
Do you remember which company he was with
before he joined Kuwait Shipping Co.?
I'm fairly sure that I sailed with him when he
was Chief Officer just before he joined KSC.
Was he a fairly large man, a bit of a joker and
strictly teetotal?

Pat Baker

Ron Crennal I belive last sailed with Palm Line, thence Marine Supt. with Nigerian National prior to going over to Kuwait Shipping. Certainly a joker and teetotal. I had the pleasure of working with him for many years in Liverpool and never a dull moment and he was a professional Mariner.
Regretably he did not chose to transfer to Kuwait and he left KSC about 1983/4????
I also understand he was awarded MBE (OBE??) whilst with Palm Line?? for some act on board one of their vessels. Do not know the true history.

Regds
Tom Bailey

Peter (Pat) Baker
5th October 2011, 12:51
Tom Bailey.

It was in Palm Line that I sailed with Ron Crennal when
he was Chief Officer.
He was a really great seaman, but always ready with
a practical joke or a quip.
It was all a very long time ago, but I do remember that he had been decorated. From my decrepit memory I seem to remember
something about a deep tank filled with bagged coke (not the
stuff you sniff) and it giving off fumes in an enclosed space,
then when the hatch was opened and people, either crew or
dock workers, went down there they were ovecome by the
fumes. Somebody went down to help and was also overcome.
Finally Ron went down and effected a rescue.
My 78 year old memory cannot recall if there were any
fatalities, but I believe so.
I'm fairly sure that was what happened.
Perhaps somebody from Palm Line (or elswhere) can confirm
or deny my version of events.
Apart from that, it is nice to hear from somebody that
knew Ron, as he was such a great character.
I recall that with some of his antics people were inclined
to think that he was three sheets to the wind, but all his shipmates were aware that he was strictly TT.
What a larger than life character and a hero to boot.
Cheers Tom,
Pat Baker.

AlbieR
4th December 2011, 09:07
I spoke last night to Mike Giddings and he told me about Tony Spender "Crossing the Bar". Many of you will remember him when he was with UASC as Cadet Training Officer, but did you know about his distinguished past?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/naval-obituaries/8853813/Lieutenant-Commander-Tony-Spender.html

I had the pleasure of his company in Cadiz during the conversions and have many happy memories of him. A real gentleman, always with an anecdote no matter what the topic!

I am sure I speak for all of you when I say our thoughts are with Veronika

Michael Giddings
4th December 2011, 17:10
Hello AlbieR,
Your move to Scotland sounds great. I've got a septic tank,
but no heat pump or well! Many old friends in the Forum.
Keep up the good work, you made an excellent vicar that night in Spain!

sfmillsy
26th December 2011, 13:26
I sailed with UAC from 1978 to 1983. Just been looking out my discharge certificates. Ships and dates as follows:

20.6.78 - 8.8.78.......Falhulkhair
8.8.78 - 9.10.78.......Al Muharraq
5.12.78 - 30.5.79.....Ibn Al Abbar (with the missus)
9.9.79 - 29.11.79.....Bar'zan
10.1.80 - 24.5.80.....Ibn Khallikan
25.7.80 - 11.8.80.....Salah Aldeen
9.3.81 - 8.6.81........ Al Rumathiah (by then a container ship of sorts)
5.8.81 - 23.1.81.......Al Mubarakiah (with the missus)
18.3.82 - 16.8.82.....Ibn Duraid
4.12.82 - 10.3.83.....Dubai

I gave my notice in after the Dubai and managed to get into the Fire Service.......Three months later UASC dispensed with all their UK officers.

LouisB
26th December 2011, 14:42
Sailed on both small and large Russians and also K Class 76/86- ish. Looking back I suppose by and large I had the best times on the Russian vessels, with their strange electrical systems and approximate copies of Hasties steering gear. Even a lot of the motor and pump bearings were approximate, with the various building yards having their own version of acceptable tolerances. Lighting that seemed to work only if there were earths on the circuits'.

I remember on Al Ahmadia approaching New York in heavy seas with very bad visibility. The first thing to fall off was the port bilge keel. This seemed to affect the steady progress of the ship to some extent with the result that the hard working Russian copy of the Aspinall governor gear disintergrated and no longer played any part in engine speed control! Next to go was the radar and the nav staff were reduced to decyphering the controls of the Russian D.F. In the end we were talked in by the Coastguard. On commencing cargo the next day the crane gearbox wrapped its hand in so we ended up using shore gear (I got ashore at that time, nice) and staying for nearly a week having repairs done.

The O.M. was Peter Everett and I think the Chief was Miroslav Jercovic (my spelling) I was the elect/eng (Dave Clarke) but my memory fades recalling the others on board. Eventful but happy days indeed. After going on to many other things I ended up with Pentow (Schmit) salage company on the Western Cape of South Africa before moving ashore to the UK. Now retired for three years or so on the U.K. South Coast watching the ships go by. (Pint) Compliments of the season to anybody that remembers me.

LouisB

baileysan
3rd January 2012, 20:38
Hello AlbieR,
Your move to Scotland sounds great. I've got a septic tank,
but no heat pump or well! Many old friends in the Forum.
Keep up the good work, you made an excellent vicar that night in Spain!

Mike. Nice to see you on SN. Hope you are keeping well. I still keep in touch with a few of the old crowd including Albie.

Happy new year to you both.

Tom Bailey

CrazySparks
17th January 2012, 03:05
I did seven and a half months on the Ibn Al Abbar around 1980. Very eventful trip involving helicopter and medics, XXX Emergency call, and much more fun. As I recall the OM was a James Langmuir (charming but difficult at times I recall), 3/E Big Jim Pinkney,, '3/E 'Toby', x5er 'Eric 1/2 a bee' Chief Steward 'Charley' from Ghana (a character amongst characters who I remember as a smoke-shrouded head leering into the saloon through the hatch and shouting that the OM was a 'pain in the ass'!) There were so many good lads on that trip. Greetings across the decades and I hope you are all well and happy. UASC was a great company, although I left under something of a cloud, having overdone things ashore just a touch. But that's another story and one that's probably best forgotten.

Michael Giddings
20th January 2012, 18:52
Hello Tom,
Good to hear from you and Albie.
I keep in touch with Barry Barnes, Frank Jones, BED Edwards and Albie of course.
I'm now fully retired to deepest Gloucestershire and live on the banks of the Severn upstream from the old Severn Bridge.
Keeping fairly fit, and enjoying life.
Best wishes to you all for a Happy New Year
Mike

QUOTE=baileysan;563704]Mike. Nice to see you on SN. Hope you are keeping well. I still keep in touch with a few of the old crowd including Albie.

Happy new year to you both.

Tom Bailey[/QUO

baileysan
22nd January 2012, 20:49
Mike
Please give my regards to all past colleagues. I have been in touch with Barry, I also have met up with Larry Blunt a couple of times although he is fairly elusive. A few of ex UASC colleagues meet up in Liverpool for a beer
Fiak Tony, Dean Thwart, Rod Brockbank, Malcolm Hedley, Ray Rele, Peter Nash and a few others ex Liverpool Office. Occasionally we see Larry, still larger than life.

Michael Giddings
24th January 2012, 17:39
Mike
Please give my regards to all past colleagues. I have been in touch with Barry, I also have met up with Larry Blunt a couple of times although he is fairly elusive. A few of ex UASC colleagues meet up in Liverpool for a beer
Fiak Tony, Dean Thwart, Rod Brockbank, Malcolm Hedley, Ray Rele, Peter Nash and a few others ex Liverpool Office. Occasionally we see Larry, still larger than life.

Hello Tom,
Good to get your message, and to hear of old friends who are still in touch. Especially good to hear of Ray Rele, we met briefly in 1977 I think. Best wishes to them all.

Regards

Mike

andrew guthrie
25th January 2012, 13:56
I sailed on the Al Sabahiah from Birkenhead to Arabian Gulfand east africa.Captain and chief officer ex Cunard the C/O bent the Jumbo derrick. there were also three Russian guarantee Engineers onboard.
Regards Andrew Guthrie.This was in 1969-70.

AlbieR
4th February 2012, 15:37
Good to see the thread lively again. I am stuck in the Shetland Hotel, Lerwick because the ferry is down for repairs and everybody has gone for flights,(Pint) just shows you cannot trust engineers. Hope to be home for Monday. Sorry to all that I haven't been in touch for a while but the house build has taken all of my leaves up. Still it is finished now and well worth the effort. More and more names are coming up on the site, I wish Frank (Pinkey) Lofthouse would appear because he babysat our Lorraine while Di and me had a "few beers" on the Jabariah. She is now 40. Tom, did you ever send for that DVD of Doxford engines from that museum I told you about, you would really enjoy it, anybody else interested get in touch.
Kintyre is a nice part of the world, no wonder Paul decided to move here and write a song about it!

AlbieR

baileysan
4th February 2012, 17:40
Andrew
Don't remember the C/O name the O/M was John Findley ex Cunard. Knew him very well. His stories from sailing on the old Queens were hilarious. I was
2/Eng on that voyage, the famous Ron Tindell was Chief. The old Mubarakiah came alongside to take our heavy lift off.

baileysan
4th February 2012, 17:44
Albie
Pleased to hear you have at last moved in sounds something special but hope its warm!!!!
No I never got round to buying the DVD I have seen a few on u-tube. Reading somewhere that there only about 3/4 Doxfords left at sea. Bit sad although they could be workhouses.
Nice to see quite a few UASC KSA comments coming up and nice to hear fromm Mike Giddings.

AlbieR
4th February 2012, 19:58
Hi Tom,

I will arrange for a copy to be sent to you as soon as I am home. You have my email, if you have lost it send me a PM and I will get it. As I say anybody else who is interested get in touich and we can do.
Last time I saw Larry was in the Hong Kong mission and we could not remember the end of the night!
Does anybody know what happened to Gordon Coventry (A true gentleman)

We are warm because we decided to go for a ground source heat pump and underfloor heating. We drilled to 100 metres to draw heat up and have a machine that is a refrigerator in reverse. The upside is the Government pay us 1400 per year because we are not burning fossil fuels. Good addition to your pension plus the fuel allowance!!

AlbieR

eldersuk
5th February 2012, 00:49
Sorry to have to pass on bad news to you UASC guys, but Peter Nash passed away 23 January. He had been ill for about two years with pancreatic cancer but tried to keep quiet about it.

Derek

Dammer
19th February 2012, 09:25
Gentlemen,

I know it's been a long time ago but I am urgently seeking any information at all about Captain Piet Dammer who sailed at Kuwait Shipping/UASC in the eighties. For example he sailed the Al Salimiah.
He lived in Liverpool, died in 1989 but I hope that his name still ring any bells!

If you have any information please let me know.
Why? I'am his oldest son from Holland (The Netherlands)

I hope you guys have still a good memory and thank you very much!!

Regards,
Rolf
mr.r@hetnet.nl

Michael Giddings
19th February 2012, 18:08
Hello Rolf,
Your enquiry regarding your father Capt.Dammer is interesting, I am sorry to hear he 'crossed the bar' in 1989. I never met him, but sailed in UASC during his time. He was highly regarded by all who sailed with him.
I am sorry not to be able to help further, but wish luck in answers from those who sailed with him.

Regards,

Michael

LouisB
19th February 2012, 21:04
Hi Rolf,

I sailed with your father on one of the small Russian vessels - the name escapes me at the moment. Your father was a good Captain and was well liked by the people sailing with him.

The voyage as I recall was not without major mechanical difficulties but Captain Dammer was a good leader and kept everyone in good spirits in spite of conditions on board the ship. As I originally came from Liverpool myself we both knew the same places and often enjoyed a yarn over a beer when possible.

I left KSC/UASC around 85/86 and went on to other things. I am now a few months off seventy so I cannot always remember exact dates although I do remember that I didn't sail with your father again.

I am genuinely sorry about his passing - he was a good man.

Regards,

Dave Clarke (LouisB)

dick palmer
10th March 2012, 22:34
Jack was my boss for many years, he died way back 1978??

Yes I remember the seals very well. They gave us some hairy moments and unforseen drydockings. Eventually the outboards were changed.

Don,t know if you have ever been back to Hyundai in recent years, I have spent some considerable time there and it is quite amazing, the size,the output of ships and engines and the quality.
You would be out there with Maurice Hennon, electrician from KSC(UASC)
he is still working out there!!

Nice to hear from you.
Regards

I went to Ulsan with Maurice, an Indian chief engineer, and somebody else, because I seem to remember there were four of us. My name is Dick Palmer and I was a ch off.

baileysan
11th March 2012, 17:20
Dick
I remember meeting up with you a few times, nice to hear from you.
Unfortunatley Maurice Hennon passed away very suddenly a couple of years ago. He was still working in Korea for OSG at the time. He was agreat friend of mine and well liked by all. I was at his funeral in Newcastle and there was a huge turnout from friends and colleagues from all over.

baileysan
11th March 2012, 17:24
Rolf.
I met your father many times, I never sailed with him but I used to meet him when I was Superintendent for KSC(UASC)
I know he had a very good reputation as a shipmaster and who always appeared to run a happy ship.
Sorry to hear he passed away.

lordy
3rd April 2012, 14:17
Hi Albie
I remember the photo you talked about further up the posts.
Nice to read some the old guys are still going
John Lord

ECKER365
17th April 2012, 17:56
I WAS POSTED TO JEBEL ALI TO BASICALLY SHOW BUYERS THE BRIDGE gear workng on about 9 small russians and spent 4 months holiday in the cadiz fiasco. xcontainer conversion . what a laugh the keep cadiz employed scheme .life was a beach .4 weeks in rio capt wilkinson and engr j a hocking capt called me up said,"what you doing 3rd mate, i said just watching the steel pipes being loaded. he said" forget that i want a party , you sort the local girls out and ill sort the ships budjet out ." I got a few girls down from the red lion pub in ipanema and ws prettty popular . greatest days needed days in gulf recoup some cash .japan superman bar .harbour lights and pandoras will ring a bell with many,and the married men won t want to talk too much about the king hotel in taiwan lol

Pat Thompson
17th April 2012, 18:47
Greetings,

Does the name Stan Gray ring any bells. He is a pal from my village (Mickleton North Yorks) and served as Lecky (Electrical Officer (just so I don't upset anybody....,. (Greenies can be touchy (exclam))))(in the Arabiyah and Al Sabbiyah in 1971-2 time.

LouisB
17th April 2012, 19:25
I WAS POSTED TO JEBEL ALI TO BASICALLY SHOW BUYERS THE BRIDGE gear workng on about 9 small russians and spent 4 months holiday in the cadiz fiasco. xcontainer conversion . what a laugh the keep cadiz employed scheme .life was a beach .4 weeks in rio capt wilkinson and engr j a hocking capt called me up said,"what you doing 3rd mate, i said just watching the steel pipes being loaded. he said" forget that i want a party , you sort the local girls out and ill sort the ships budjet out ." I got a few girls down from the red lion pub in ipanema and ws prettty popular . greatest days needed days in gulf recoup some cash .japan superman bar .harbour lights and pandoras will ring a bell with many,and the married men won t want to talk too much about the king hotel in taiwan lol

Not long after the S.Am. service started I was on a U.A.S.C. vessel (forget which one) as Electrical Officer ( thankyou Pat) and a good friend of mine, Andy Hunt, had been appointed Line Manager. Well, all that I can say is that I had a tremendous time both in Rio and Santos, mostly organised by Andy. Malcolm Youd was Chief Off' and was quite a lively player, and as this is a fairly public forum will go no further!. Fortunately we had a good midships crowd on the vessel including the CEO who gave me a nod and a wink when I asked for shore leave.

Happy, happy days - where has it all gone??

LouisB. (Scribe)

ECKER365
18th April 2012, 11:01
don t think we ever met sure i would have remember a female officer.thiusually ugh i do remember andy hunt but did nt socialise with the 3rs mate he was entertaining the snrs

LouisB
18th April 2012, 11:45
don t think we ever met sure i would have remember a female officer.thiusually ugh i do remember andy hunt but did nt socialise with the 3rs mate he was entertaining the snrs

I'm definitely not female, at least not when I last looked. :) My posting name of LouisB has a long history to it from my R.F.A. days. I first knew Andy as Chief Off - he lived with his parents on occasions, not too far from myself.

As electrical engineer on a couple of vessels with Andy it seemed natural, as a friend, to socialise when he was appointed line manager - nothing to do with my ships officer rank status, just the fact that I knew him apart from his role in UASC and nearly everybody else didn't at that time. The normal hospitalities were laid on for the Old Man and Chief Eng as was usual when visiting a fairly new liner service port - that was business protocol and was different from being invited ashore for a drink with a friend!

LouisB (Scribe)

ECKER365
18th April 2012, 12:11
yes i thoroughly understand his situation i m sure on occasion he would have rather been out with his mates like you than entertaining certain captains and chiefs ,same in many industries.he seemed a good guy to me.Everybody social life was pretty hectic in s. america . great days rgds mike eckersley cadet to 2nd mate

baileysan
18th April 2012, 20:43
Pat
Remember Stan Grey very well, one of the original Elect. in KSC well liked and a good shipmate. Never heard of him for a long while.

ECKER365
19th April 2012, 05:37
trying to find steve mc donald ex s alem 2nd mate lived leeds hull nautical college early 80s 79/81

pilot
19th April 2012, 06:59
trying to find steve mc donald ex s alem 2nd mate lived leeds hull nautical college early 80s 79/81

There's a Steve Mcdonald a Humber Pilot.

Peter Walley
4th May 2012, 19:59

Hi Tom, don't know if you remember me, Peter Walley. I was choff on the Dubai on her maiden voyage and subsequently for 18 months. Left UASC before I was sacked in late '86 and joined the Coastguard.
Eventually became a surveyor with MCA and remember inspecting a K class in Hull. Yes, it was good while it lasted.

Regards Peter

Brian Clark Springhall
6th May 2012, 11:00
Hello Peter,
Maybe you will remember me as 2nd engineer on the Shamiah I think with PNR Williams as the old man, you took the vessel into Jeddah as he had drank a few bottles of wine the previous evening. He was later asked to leave the company. Not to get mixed up with Tevor Williams who was a great old man and one we both sailed with on the Ahmadiah I think.

ixion
28th June 2012, 14:03
The Kuwait Class Theekar was laid up in the River Blackwater for some time although fully manned. Does anyone have any dates or recollections ? I am helping with an archive of ships laid up there

lordy
29th June 2012, 13:57
I did the maiden voyage on the Theekar, joined in Korea, back to the gulf, then on to the States left her in Dubai in 1978.

steve mcdougall
12th July 2012, 13:13
(Applause)(Jester)to john grace quick reply, re: al farwaniah we docked in liverpool, 16/02 1977 there was a change of senior engineers chief/eng ray relie from liverpool harry mckeown 2/e tony kelly 3/e from bangor n/ireland billy darell4/e he did three trips on the farwaniah 1976 to 1977 andy bradshaw j/e andy cook j/e. billy darell is the only ex ksc/uasc i am stillin contact with he now lives near me in southport. all the best steve.

Dick Leitch
13th July 2012, 17:45
Steve

Billy Darell - The King of Cantrill(s) Farm - tell him Dick Leitch sends regards

(Applause)(Jester)to john grace quick reply, re: al farwaniah we docked in liverpool, 16/02 1977 there was a change of senior engineers chief/eng ray relie from liverpool harry mckeown 2/e tony kelly 3/e from bangor n/ireland billy darell4/e he did three trips on the farwaniah 1976 to 1977 andy bradshaw j/e andy cook j/e. billy darell is the only ex ksc/uasc i am stillin contact with he now lives near me in southport. all the best steve.

djh204
3rd November 2012, 15:10
Keckers
3 Feodosia. Al Ahamadiah, Al Shamiah & Al Rumithiah all converted to FCV in Cadiz.

Hi I am David J Hancock I served with KSC for the conversions of said ships and have some of them in the dry dock all in sections.
the Chief Eng was Roderick. We helped with comisioning and sea trials.

R.kearsley
14th January 2013, 22:08
Sailed as a junior engineer on the Al Mubarakhia in '69. I remember George Gugala Alan Christie 2/e. I think the 4th was Jim Dyson and the Leccy was called Maurice. The old man was Capt. Nelson. Can see the Chief now but have forgotten his name, it was a long time ago but they were a good crowd.

Chief was George Douglas,I was 4th when george gugala and jim dyson were jnr's,think the other jnr was alby roberts but not sure,long time ago,when Christie joined I was 3rd so jim would have been 4th so must have sailed with you, maurice hennon was lecky and bill nelson skipper,can't rember other names,Allan christie died in 1981/2 a year after his wife Elma,reading other threads on this site even maurice hennon has passed away,would love to meet up with george gugala and jim dyson and even yourself and have a few beers on my next trip to the uk this or next year, good ship and great mob.

AlbieR
19th January 2013, 19:43
Hi "Kiwi" Kearsley,

Good to see you are still around, last I heard of you was you were in Southern Ireland.
It was December 1968 when I joined the Mubarakiah in the Royal Albert Dock London. C/E Keith Dancey, 2/E Alf Carney, 3/E Ike Schorah, 4/E You, myself and Jimmy Dyson and another lad from Birkenhead were juniors. Captain? Chief Mate?, 2nd Mate Gordon Tennant, 3rd Mate Abe Rahman, Leccy Maurice Hennon. I left In Birkenhead May 1969 and went to sail with Tenax on the Binsnes, rejoined KSC 1972. I remember you appearing on Christmas day with your passenger monkey suite on and beard shaved off. I have a photo somewhere, when I get time I will look and send it to you, send me your email in a private message.

Albie

Brian Clark Springhall
5th February 2013, 21:23
Hi Albie, Met up with Graham (SLUDGE) Phillips last weekend and thinking of having reunion night with ex KSC & UASC lads before we all pass on.
Ex 3/eng Pete Cranston can arrange a venue and hotels if required, venue to be in the Wirral (Ellsmere Port) with Graham doing his ELVIS PRESLEY ACT. I know that TB & Faik Toney live there surely thy might be interested along with yourself and any other member reading this thread.

Cheers Brian

ysgolfach
8th February 2013, 12:02
Hate KSC. Did one voyage as Catering Officer on the Al Shamiya, Just joined them and then they asked me to join earlier, had just got married so my wife joined me. Sailed from Tilbury, had a break down off the Cornish Coast. Could not use the swimming pool as two fire engines loaded in the area and above it. Could not understand why so much booze was in the captains bond until we arrived in Kuwait and saw all the Kuwaitis coming onboard to by it at high profits. The a/c was non existent. If I remember I think the Master was a Captain Wilkinson.

graeme murray
5th March 2013, 18:53
I sailed with Capt. William Harrison and John Chester in their previous life at Guinea Gulf Line (John Holt of Liverpool)

Graeme Murray, Vancouver

KenRyan
11th March 2013, 00:50
Hi, just found this site while working on piecing together the mis spent youth I had in the merch. I joined 3 ships with KSC/UASC as RO

Al Fujairah - July 78 in Tilbury - Gulf - Japan , had my 19th birthday in Hiroshima

then
Al Mubarakiah
Al SHariah (??)
IBN Al Haitham .. dates of both are vague and in Arabic in my discharge book

I think it was the Al Haitham that we got stuck on for 3 weeks up the Shatt Al Arab off Koramshar when strike happened and no river pilots were available to take up out .. THere was a lot of fraction (war !) between Iran/Iraq but we did not see any of it . Onc

I'm hoping to piece together the journeys of all of the above , anyone who sailed on Haitham or Mubarakiah around 79/80 would love to hear from you to help build out the timeline

Cheers

AlbieR
11th March 2013, 18:20
Hi all,

Anybody wondering what happened to their favourite ship all the answers on on this link
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FKuwait-Klasse
I found it on the Danish Wikipedia page and used Google translate so some of the translation is strange. Count me in Brian for a reunion, you never know this time I might even get a beer out of you!

Albie

George McCaffery
30th July 2013, 19:06

I sailed on the Al Muarakiah as R/O in 1969. Bill Nelson was the old man, I met up with Bill in Dubai a few times before he passed away. The Mate was Des? from Liverpool, 2nd Mate was Paul? 3rd Mate Wynne Jones. George Douglas C/E, Christie 2/E Richard Kersley?, Jim Dyson, George Gugala and my memory has given up. A great bunch of lads. As with a lot of you happy days in Mauritius.

George McCaffery
30th July 2013, 19:20
Hi Dick, George Mccaffery I was the R/O on board the Al Mubarakiah for 2 trips in 1969 I remember those days well and all the lads you mentioned. I am still in touch with Wynne Jones who was 3rd mate now lives in Aussie. I am currently in Houston but expect to move back to the UK maybe next year. Hope you are well.

sam.todd
1st August 2013, 16:52
Hi Albie, Met up with Graham (SLUDGE) Phillips last weekend and thinking of having reunion night with ex KSC & UASC lads before we all pass on.
Ex 3/eng Pete Cranston can arrange a venue and hotels if required, venue to be in the Wirral (Ellsmere Port) with Graham doing his ELVIS PRESLEY ACT. I know that TB & Faik Toney live there surely thy might be interested along with yourself and any other member reading this thread.

Cheers Brian

hi brian, you may not remember me, im not sure if i was j/e or 4/e when i sailed with you, you showed me how to do screw cutting on the lathe , i am from belfast, was speaking to albie, hope you are well, sam todd.

alanw247
19th August 2013, 20:25
Joined company in august '77 and first trip on the Al Khalidiah ( small russian ).
Capt was Jenkinson
C/E oliver hedleigh + wife ( anna? )
Purser Dave Gisbourne
Ch/elect Gordon Lilley then Haydn Beynon
cant remember the rest. Great trip, joined in liverpool, main engine turbo blew up passing gibralter, engine room fire in genoa ( 6weeks for repairs ) ran aground in suez, got rammed by a bunker barge in dammam. happy days

sam.todd
19th August 2013, 20:31
Was captain jenkinson from n. Ireland ?

sam.todd
19th August 2013, 20:35
Was gordon lilly from glasgow, if so I sailed with him when he was 2nd elec.

alanw247
21st August 2013, 05:19
Yes capt. Jenkinson was from N. Ireland and Gordon was from glasgow.
There was a few of us that were ex govan shipyard.
Alan Waddell ( me )
Gordon Lilley
Bob Drennan
Angus Millar
Willie Smith
All electricians. I think there was an engineer called Stewart White but I didn't come across him any time that I was away. I sailed with Gordon again in '79 on the Fathulkhair, and relieved him a couple of years after that. That was his first trip back after his accident in S. America. Main board blew up on him!

AlbieR
21st August 2013, 06:12
Hi Alan
I sailed with Willie Smith on the Ibn Rushd maiden trip out of Govan and the 1st Leccy was Arthur Gray, do you still have contact with Willie (The person not the object!!)
Albie

alanw247
22nd August 2013, 15:04
Hi Alan
I sailed with Willie Smith on the Ibn Rushd maiden trip out of Govan and the 1st Leccy was Arthur Gray, do you still have contact with Willie (The person not the object!!)
Albie

Hi Albie
Sadly no. Last time i saw him he was doing commisioning on an oil rig being built at Greenock, circa 1990
Alan

Brian Clark Springhall
19th September 2013, 10:20
hi brian, you may not remember me, im not sure if i was j/e or 4/e when i sailed with you, you showed me how to do screw cutting on the lathe , i am from belfast, was speaking to albie, hope you are well, sam todd.

Hello Sam, If my memory is correct I rather think you were 4th/Eng
when you sailed with me and it may have been on the Ibn Al Atheer as I was on there twice and it was only the K Class that I did any screwcutting. Maybe it could have been the Tabuk also.

Brian Clark Springhall
19th September 2013, 10:32
Hi Albie
Sadly no. Last time i saw him he was doing commisioning on an oil rig being built at Greenock, circa 1990
Alan

Hi Alan, I was with Bob Drennon up at Umm Qasar on the Ahmed Al Fateh that was hit by the Iranian Rocket, good lad.
Just been talking with Peter Cranston and he said you had put a post on that you were up for going to The reunion with Graham Phillips performing Elvis. Hope you can make it and the venue is at the ASE club in Altrinchem Manchester on Saturday 21st September. I am booked into the Cresta Court Hotel and plan to go there around 8 pm, should be a good night. PS am taking Barry Barnes down with me as he has Parkinsons Disease and can't drive.

AlbieR
19th September 2013, 10:38
Hi Brian,
It was the Ibn Al Haitham that was hit, there is a picture of the damage on the Gallery. Have a good night on Saturday and give my best wishes to Barry and all who remember me.
Albie

Brian Clark Springhall
19th September 2013, 20:58
Hi Brian,
It was the Ibn Al Haitham that was hit, there is a picture of the damage on the Gallery. Have a good night on Saturday and give my best wishes to Barry and all who remember me.
Albie

Hi Albie, Yes realised it was the Al Haitham after I had sent it, and I have the Photo of the rocket through the 5 tonne crane, had a great time up there with Jim Wilkie, Bob Drennon & Eddy (Rambo) Brown.
We should have a good night on saturday as it cant be dull with Sludge around. Am taking Barry down there as Hazel his wife doesn't want to go,will remember you to him.

Regards Brian

sam.todd
21st September 2013, 16:52
Hello Sam, If my memory is correct I rather think you were 4th/Eng
when you sailed with me and it may have been on the Ibn Al Atheer as I was on there twice and it was only the K Class that I did any screwcutting. Maybe it could have been the Tabuk also.

brian, you have a better memory than me, and yes it was the ibn al atheer, lets know how the reunion gos. sam.

jockilus
27th October 2013, 18:26
Hi there , I took the Kubbar last month of shipyard and maiden voyage.foreigners hotel full and we stayed in what appeared to be a knocking shop.At least the food was good there.

Captain J.Brunton
1st November 2013, 18:59
When I was in the UK,I sailed for a time with Currie Line of Leith, as 2/M.Quite a good little Company.We were on the Leith to Copenhagen and South Sweden run.A great run.The 3rd Mate who was there, first name Bill,I heard later joined the Kuwait Company, and I belive ultimately Master with them.A very good shipmate.Sadly I forget his surname now.At 78 thye memory is fading a bit.But I would be grateful, if any of your kind mebers can fill in the blanks.Especially where he ended up.Rgds to all Jim Brunton,ShipMaster,Retired,Melbourne,Australia.

Brian Clark Springhall
12th November 2013, 19:31
brian, you have a better memory than me, and yes it was the ibn al atheer, lets know how the reunion gos. sam.

Hi Sam, The reunion went off very well even though there was only 8 of us, we all agreed that there should be another one next year and hopefully a few more of us attending. Kevin Lloyd said that Ian Mitchell will come next year and hopefully I would like to see TB and Faik Toney attending as well as yourself.

Warmest regards and have a nice Xmas & New Year

sam.todd
13th November 2013, 20:34
thanks brian for keeping up to date, i sailed with kevin, i dont drink at all now(10 years dry) but i would like to go to the next reunion, hope you and the family are keeping well, im a grandad now, best wishes, sam.

sam.todd
13th November 2013, 20:46
does anyone know what site to go on, to get a photo of the ibn zaidoun or the ibn majit, in there u.a.s.c colours, there is a few on the web when they were sold,and repainted, i sailed first trip 4th on the zaidoun 1977, sam.

steve mcdougall
14th November 2013, 18:01
Hi Sam, The reunion went off very well even though there was only 8 of us, we all agreed that there should be another one next year and hopefully a few more of us attending. Kevin Lloyd said that Ian Mitchell will come next year and hopefully I would like to see TB and Faik Toney attending as well as yourself.

Warmest regards and have a nice Xmas & New Year

How is Ian Mitcell sailed with him 1977,on the Ibn Shuhaid,along with his good mate Miroslav,and his great amigo captain Peter Lawrie.

sam.todd
14th November 2013, 18:08
sailed under miroslav jerkovich he was a gentleman, sam.

japottinger
14th November 2013, 21:44

Did you know the eng supt ( I think that was his rank) Jack (?) Duncan who was involved in the Clyde built ships for KSC. A few years ago I was contacted by someone in Hyundai asking if I knew his whereabouts as they were keen to get together all those involved in ships building by them in their early days, I did hear that he had passed away some years previously. While he was standing by in Glasgow he had a yacht he kept on the Clyde, Falmouth Pilot was either her name or of the class.
I spent a few months out at Hyundai installing the new type stern glands. I was doubtful of their success at the time and heard that had been replaced later. Can you confirm any of above.
Can contact me direct on james.pottinger@btinternet.com.

japottinger
14th November 2013, 21:47
Hi there , I took the Kubbar last month of shipyard and maiden voyage.foreigners hotel full and we stayed in what appeared to be a knocking shop.At least the food was good there.

Was lucky(?) to spend a few months in the foreigners hotel, the front building, not the better class building behind!

japottinger
14th November 2013, 21:56
Was lucky(?) to spend a few months in the foreigners hotel, the front building, not the better class building behind!

This was at the time Hyundai were building the first of the KSC ships. I cannot recall the names of the lads from Harland & Wolff ( Belfast lad)and Kincaids ( Greenock lad) but Adam Kelly was there from Hasties.
As you know usual practice then in UK was to install the engines in large pieces, bedplate, crankshaft etc etc.
Hyundai built the first one, from Kincaids, (it had come out from Greenock in packing cases, on the dockside under reach of a big travelling crane (300 ton?) and were proposing to load in one piece. They said we have a big crane why do we not use it! Woh Woh said our lad from Kincaids. He contacted B&W to get the OK and then put stick micrometers between the crank webs to check if any distortion after installation. When he came back next morning they were all gone, explanation given by Hyundai was that somebody would pinch them overnight!
Anyway it was all worth it and no problem.

Brian McCarthy
9th February 2014, 20:53
Were there 2 Bill Sadlers, I was a junior on the Al Salimiah , Bill was Chief, great bloke, lived in North Wales. I also did 3 months on the Mansouriah laying her up in Dubai before transferring to the Theekar. The 2/E on there was a nervous wreck, started his trip on a ship which ran into the quay in Bahrein then transferred to Ibn Rushd to run aground in Taiwan then sent to the Theekar. I seem to remember I was on 13 UASC ships in total, great times. Used to think the stulkens were big, my present vessel has a 600 tonne crane.

AlbieR
9th February 2014, 20:59
Brian,

Bill "sack 'em" Sadler was Chief and lived in North Wales as you said, great bloke but as he once told me "I had a bad run of lecckys and sacked them all", the office knew him well and all their jobs were safe! I sailed with him often so knew how to handle him, had some good times with him on the small Russians.

The other Bill Sadler was in the office on the personnel side, a great bloke who ended up as the last Liverpool office employee. Sadly he died a few years back.

Albie

Brian McCarthy
9th February 2014, 21:52
Joined company in august '77 and first trip on the Al Khalidiah ( small russian ).
Capt was Jenkinson
C/E oliver hedleigh + wife ( anna? )
Purser Dave Gisbourne
Ch/elect Gordon Lilley then Haydn Beynon
cant remember the rest. Great trip, joined in liverpool, main engine turbo blew up passing gibralter, engine room fire in genoa ( 6weeks for repairs ) ran aground in suez, got rammed by a bunker barge in dammam. happy days

Hi, The Chief was Bill Hedley from Darlington with his wife Anna, kept in touch with them until about 10 years ago , Unfortunately Anna had a stroke but apparently Bill was a great carer, I sailed with them a couple of times in UASC

Brian McCarthy
9th February 2014, 22:12
Brian,

Bill "sack 'em" Sadler was Chief and lived in North Wales as you said, great bloke but as he once told me "I had a bad run of lecckys and sacked them all", the office knew him well and all their jobs were safe! I sailed with him often so knew how to handle him, had some good times with him on the small Russians.

The other Bill Sadler was in the office on the personnel side, a great bloke who ended up as the last Liverpool office employee. Sadly he died a few years back.

Albie

AlbieR, I was the 'senior' junior and we had a particularly pathetic 2/E. Bil asked the office if he could promote me to 2/E as I was on watch with the second and did all his jobs off watch. Offic say no. We did a trip to the Fareast and back to the Gulf, Bill was in high glee as the 2/E was due off. Unfortunately he was replaced by someone worse. We then went to Durban where Bill and I paid off. Ship sailed for singapore, on passage the 4th went on strike, the 3rd threw genny spares over the wall so all 3 engineers got sacked apparently. The following trip I joined the Shidadiah in the states and Bills ship was sailing in parallel, he asked if I could swap ships but my Chief Richard Dunn did not like the idea.
Sad to hear he has gone.

steve mcdougall
10th February 2014, 11:56
i can recall haydn c/leccy sailed with him 1979, on the hijaz,he had just got married and his wife was on the voyage both from south wales.

LouisB
10th February 2014, 13:27
AlbieR, I was the 'senior' junior and we had a particularly pathetic 2/E. Bil asked the office if he could promote me to 2/E as I was on watch with the second and did all his jobs off watch. Offic say no. We did a trip to the Fareast and back to the Gulf, Bill was in high glee as the 2/E was due off. Unfortunately he was replaced by someone worse. We then went to Durban where Bill and I paid off. Ship sailed for singapore, on passage the 4th went on strike, the 3rd threw genny spares over the wall so all 3 engineers got sacked apparently. The following trip I joined the Shidadiah in the states and Bills ship was sailing in parallel, he asked if I could swap ships but my Chief Richard Dunn did not like the idea.
Sad to hear he has gone.

Interesting reading - a few old names I was associated with over my ten year period with KSC/UASC (1977 - 1986) as Electrician. Sailed a few times with 'sackem' Saddler and always got on very well with him, quite a character and on a personal level I liked him.
- don't make em like that anymore. Also on a few occasions sailed with Richard Dunn when he was Chief. I knew one of his family when I was in the RFA and based at Portland and much later, when I had left UASC I came across him again as engineer sup't with P&O cargo division - I was on Harrisons City of Durban at the time and he came aboard for a look around, still the same moody character I remembered. All a long time ago now

Dave Clarke.

Brian Clark Springhall
24th February 2014, 21:51
Interesting reading - a few old names I was associated with over my ten year period with KSC/UASC (1977 - 1986) as Electrician. Sailed a few times with 'sackem' Saddler and always got on very well with him, quite a character and on a personal level I liked him.
- don't make em like that anymore. Also on a few occasions sailed with Richard Dunn when he was Chief. I knew one of his family when I was in the RFA and based at Portland and much later, when I had left UASC I came across him again as engineer sup't with P&O cargo division - I was on Harrisons City of Durban at the time and he came aboard for a look around, still the same moody character I remembered. All a long time ago now

Dave Clarke.

Hello Dave, Do you remember me with my wife Yoshie and our little boy Robert, cant remember the name the K Class Ship but maybe the Yamamah, Dick Dunne was C/E, me 2nd, Davie Boardman 3rd, Pumpi Bakshi was Mate. Yes Dick was as you say, met him in Brazil when I was chief on the Hazm, hadnt altered and was divorced from his lovely wife, due to his playing around.

LouisB
24th February 2014, 23:15
Hello Dave, Do you remember me with my wife Yoshie and our little boy Robert, cant remember the name the K Class Ship but maybe the Yamamah, Dick Dunne was C/E, me 2nd, Davie Boardman 3rd, Pumpi Bakshi was Mate. Yes Dick was as you say, met him in Brazil when I was chief on the Hazm, hadnt altered and was divorced from his lovely wife, due to his playing around.

Hi Brian - yes I remember you and your wife. I think that I was a babysitter one evening when you went ashore - can't remember the vessel, they more or less all became somewhat mixed up in my mind - didn't keep any records and had my discharge book stolen. Also remember Pumpi, got on very well with him as he had the same slightly cynical outlook as myself - bloody good hand all round. Regarding Dick, well what can I say, he had his own problems I think - never ever saw him smile or laugh!

Via a rather circuitous route I eventually ended up in S. Africa, on the Western Cape working for a salvage company in Mossel Bay. After that I returned to the UK and landed a job as assistant maintenance manager with an American medical devices company. Only nine miles away from where I live, so very lucky on that one. Now well retired (71 yrs old) and generally enjoying it. Nip over to Rome now and again and visit a friend of mine who puts up with me for a week or two but apart from that I keep myself busy - plenty of hobbies and interests.

Nice to hear from you Brian - what happened to all those years, then until now?

Kind regards,

Dave.

baileysan
25th February 2014, 20:22

Brian
Nice to see the UASC still going strong. I often wondered what happened to Richard Dunn, he was approached to come ashore with UASC!!!!! I remember him and his wife very well.
Hope you are doing OK

Keith niblett pcs
12th March 2014, 12:20
PCS Keith Niblett 1977 - 1981

Took MV Al Rayaan new from Govan
Next voyage Al Rayaan picked up 44 Vietnamese refugees with Captain Peter Everett - good man

Regards to all who know me

joe-ei5ge
19th March 2014, 22:53
on a funny note ( i feel i have to apologies the then ch/eng ??)
it was 1974, KSC ship Al Solabiah, was on a visit to other european vsl which had a fantastic radio room and I noted the really well painted decking.... could not wait to return to Al Sol and scourned the ship for light blue paint and slapped it on.... and posted a sign wet paint, however chief (eng) who came in for a chat failed to either sniff the pungent smell or cop the signs. on my return to 'shake' there was light blue foot prints leading towards c/eng cabin.... i had to place boards on deck and work my way, like stepping on rocks when crossing a river....ha ha.. ( mind you I became a good painter and realised I had no bonding between old plastic tiles, such as sandpapering or an undercoat...... and really it was prob metal paint... anyway it eventually dried out ) as a distraction my HF Txmt went bang when a boson lowered my main antenna as I was transmitting..... after two weeks were 2 techs tried to fix fault... when they left within 2 hours and enlisting the help of 3 other engineers to lift huge power supply transformers I fixed the problem and regained some credence before we left the Gulf...joe(Ouch)

Peter Martin
23rd April 2014, 18:01
PCS Keith Niblett 1977 - 1981

Took MV Al Rayaan new from Govan
Next voyage Al Rayaan picked up 44 Vietnamese refugees with Captain Peter Everett - good man

Regards to all who know me
I sailed with Peter Everett when he was Chief Officer on Al Jaberiah. I came ashore and kept in touch with him for a while and then lost contact. Does anyone have any information about him?