Queen Elizabeth

Paul UK
4th September 2009, 10:37
Hi All

Just got email from Cunard advising that the first Captain of QE will be Chris Wells, Who was the Captain of Oriana last month when I was aboard.

Interesting point Cunard are calling QE a Liner not a cruise ship, has she been designed to be a liner as I know she is heavier than Queen Victoria !!!

Paul(Thumb)

Prudence
9th September 2009, 05:29
Please some Salt correct me if I am wrong but I understood that a "LINER" ran a set course...say Liverpool to New York and back...whereas a tramp ship was usually a cargo carrier but may have passengers but it could be ordered to go anywhere to pick up cargo at the drop of a hat. It used to be considered interesting to be able to get a holiday passage on a tramp vessel..The LINERS I understand, were luxurious ships set up to party on....and on for all sorts of various reasons and still do. We are having to dig BIG BIG channels in Port Phillip, Victoria to be able to get the ....things into port. Prudence

Billieboy
9th September 2009, 12:12
A "Liner", service is any ship trading between ports, which enters and leaves one specific port on a regular, daily,weekly,monthly, or quarterly basis. The harbour dues are then reduced, by agreement between the harbour-master and the vessels'/owner's agent.

bobw
9th September 2009, 14:31
Prudence, the channels in Port Phillip Bay were deepened only in parts (very small parts considering the length of the Channel) and this was done for large container ships going to Swanson and Webb docks. The large cruise ships you see at Station Pier (e.g.Sapphire Princess) have a relatively shallow draught and it is rare for the liners to call....usually only one of the Queens in February if at all.

Jeff Taylor
9th September 2009, 18:22
In addition to being a bit heavier than Victoria the new Elizabeth is also supposed to be designed with an extra knot or two up her sleeve. QV tops out at 22 kts. As a Vista hull I suspect the Elizabeth will have the standard two pods but perhaps with an extra diesel. Especially in the tropics the a/c load and hotel consumption is high enough on the Vistas they have to cut back on propulsion load.

shamrock
9th September 2009, 19:00
It should be interesting to see just how different QE looks from QV in the cosmetic department. Afterall they need to make sure that one can be identified from the other...or there will be alot of confusion if both happen to be in port together.

HAL Zuiderdam & Westerdam are virtually identical and that has caused a few doubletakes in the past by confused passengers unsure which is their ship :o

Prudence
10th September 2009, 03:42
Hi Bob, the Channel deepening is a contentious issue re. our sea fauna in Port Phillip. We were concerned and still are, that the heavy metals from manufacturing in Melbourne deep in the sludge, now disturbed, will kill off this unique marine life. As it is fishermen have been warned not to eat any fish they catch in Port Phillip. The channel has a bend...some of the larger ships I believe, may be reverberating at one frequency at the bow and at another at the stern and so in danger of shaking themselves to bits....hopefully any "shakedown" cruise will sort this out before it happens in our channel. My Dad was on the Iron Monarch when she collided with the Empire Strength in WW 11 there. The channel is narrow. Some of us think another port would be better for container ships and we still think it is to bring the tourists into Melbourne rather than keep their money locked up in NSW. Anyway it is now done. We just wait to see what the rip does to the bottom. The dredge has gone back to Holland. Meanwhile the price of fresh fish has gone through the roof. (Sad) Prudence

Paul UK
10th September 2009, 17:29
Hi Jeff

Any idea if QE will be stroger such as QM2, what I mean be able to cope with the winter north atlantic, and is this why Cunard are calling her a liner or maybe, just maybe they dont know the difference between a liner and a cruise ship.

Paul(Thumb)

In addition to being a bit heavier than Victoria the new Elizabeth is also supposed to be designed with an extra knot or two up her sleeve. QV tops out at 22 kts. As a Vista hull I suspect the Elizabeth will have the standard two pods but perhaps with an extra diesel. Especially in the tropics the a/c load and hotel consumption is high enough on the Vistas they have to cut back on propulsion load.

Jeff Taylor
10th September 2009, 17:34
Even the QV supposedly has an "ice strengthened bow" and other reinforcements left off the other Vistas. I haven't heard anything definitive, but the QE is supposedly a more robust ship. When she's in service the QV will stay on her European cruises and QE will take over the World Cruises and various repositioning Atlantic crossings, so it sounds like she'll be more "lineresq". Still a good bit short of QM2, though.

TIM HUDSON
10th September 2009, 17:36
This is a very nautical conversation 'heavier' and 'stronger ' ????

Paul UK
11th September 2009, 15:06
Hi Tim

as an Marine engineer do you have any ideas about the difference between QV and QE ie Ice stregthend, DWT/GRT, just trying to find out if QE is a liner even though she wont be doing line voyages.

Paul(Thumb)

This is a very nautical conversation 'heavier' and 'stronger ' ????

TIM HUDSON
11th September 2009, 20:27
cannot help with definition of liner am afraid...dont know. Check with Lloyds Register for Classification for Ice where it will be stated.
rgds
tim

shamrock
11th September 2009, 20:52
Has Cunard got enough work for a second liner?

I would think QM2 will remain as their full time liner and QE will join QV as their second dual purpose cruise ship/liner..but we shall see.

Prudence
16th March 2010, 09:46
I just acquired a delightful autobiography of the Doctor of the Queen Elizabeth when she was doing her bit in WW 11 and afterwards. Bit of an eye opener.
The Queen Mary 11 I think...the BIG one docked in Freemantle WA this weekend. I have read that when the moon was full the old Queen Mary was
28 llbs lighter owing to the effects of gravity under a full moon. Can any person good at maths and gravity and stuff explain how this is? Keep it simple, like Pooh Bear I am a bear of little brain. Binomial theroms and stuff are a bit beyond me these days.

R58484956
16th March 2010, 19:03
Cunard have stated that Colin Black has been appointed Chief Engineer, Robert Howie as Hotel Manager and Hamish Sunter as Staff Captain.

Dan.n
16th March 2010, 19:22
I have been fortunate in being able to book a cabin on her maiden voyage Tuesday 12th October
We shared a table with Captain Chris Wells on Q E 2 World Cruise 2001 when he was Staff Captain and Paul Wright was Master
Dan

silverfox
17th March 2010, 20:47
I also understood that a liner that a "LINER" ran a set course...say Southampton to New York and back.
When I was on QM2, Cunard staff were saying that Queen Victoria was classed as a liner because - "All the bow of the ship is forward of the upperworks." Cruise ships have their upper works starting well forward on the bow. (Look at majority of RCI ships) The new Queen Elizabeth is of a similar build to QV.
Both ships have strengthened a bow to operate in the Atlantic. It is reckoned that QE will handle the Atlantic much better!!!
The interior of QE is classed as contemporary Art Deco interprtation.

john g
21st March 2010, 23:17
Doesn't the distance between frames and the freeboard have something to do with winter north Atlantic. The QM looks ok for this I ,wouldn't fancy the Victoria in real heavy weather, too much glass and lots of rolling. A pretty ship for cruising not battering through a winter swell.