The Blockade Busters

Binnacle
4th September 2009, 11:57
The Blockade Busters
by Ralph Baker H/B 224pp.
Publishers - Pen & Sword Maritime.
ISBM 1 84415 282 0

"George Binney was a British businessman working in neutral Sweden who moved heaven and earth to ferry ball bearings and other essential war winning steel supplies through the German blockade in the darkest days of the war. This is the untold story of one manís very vital war."

Binney recruited crews from seamen who had been captured at Narvik and forced marched to Neutral Sweden, and Norwegian seamen who had been stranded on Norwegian ships when their country was invaded. Also related are the the brave efforts of the Ellerman's Wilson line crews who manned the fast craft running the gauntlet between Hull and Sweden. Neutral Sweden was placed in a rather delicate position with their Nazi neighbours.

Publisher's price £19.99 but I purchased my copy from www.naval-military-press.com for £4.95 plus postage.
A good read,cheaper than a paperback - enjoy

Tony Selman
4th February 2010, 23:14
Based on Binnacle's recommendation I bought this, and several others, on the recommended website. The book is a first class read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. the narrative is fast paced for a historical book and has elements of a Boy's Own Story about it. Recommended.

JET
7th February 2010, 11:56
The five vessels that were used on the blockade running operation were designed and built by Camper & Nicholsons Ltd, Gosport, originally for naval duties They were named Master Standfast, Nonsuch, Hopewell, Gay Corsair and Gay Viking. The first named was captured by the Germans.

Regards John