Juke boxes in Japan

PADDY
6th September 2009, 11:44
Can anybody help me to settle an argument.
I can remember a bar in Kobe that displayed a film on the juke box (no video then!) of the singer as the record played. (circa 1960).
My grandson thinks I'm losing it!!

Ron Stringer
6th September 2009, 11:50
Can anybody help me to settle an argument.
I can remember a bar in Kobe that displayed a film on the juke box (no video then!) of the singer as the record played. (circa 1960).
My grandson thinks I'm losing it!!

I remember that in 1966 one of the pubs in Union Street, Plymouth had just such a jukebox. A regular favourite was some tune (not a song) that accompanied a film of some Folies Bergere dancers. The music was crap but the film attracted quite a crowd.

trotterdotpom
6th September 2009, 12:01
I thought those tiny bent over ladies in Japan were victims of osteoporosis due to their dislike of dairy products - turns out they were juke box projectionists on their days off.

John T.

astew3184
6th September 2009, 14:32
Hi Paddy I remember these juke boxes down the Motomachi in Kobe I also remember there was one in Port Swettenham one of the bars there had a Roof Top Beer Garden and the barman Lawrence had a fantastic memory for faces, he knew your name,the ship you were on and when you were due to sail and when you were due to return. Sorry cant remember the name of the bar, I was with The Blue Funnel at the time 1964 to 1968.
Regards
Andy Stewart

benjidog
6th September 2009, 15:09
I saw a juke box with film projector in a pub in London in the 60s - can't remember where it was but I can remember thinking to myself that it was a distraction from the music and will never catch on. Seems nowadays the "music" has become a distraction to the videos. :)

forthbridge
6th September 2009, 15:35
Hi Paddy I remember these juke boxes down the Motomachi in Kobe I also remember there was one in Port Swettenham one of the bars there had a Roof Top Beer Garden and the barman Lawrence had a fantastic memory for faces, he knew your name,the ship you were on and when you were due to sail and when you were due to return. Sorry cant remember the name of the bar, I was with The Blue Funnel at the time 1964 to 1968.
Regards
Andy Stewart

I think the bar in Port Swettenham was trhe New Port. I remember the Jukr Box there and remember Lawrence's memory.

Ron Stringer
6th September 2009, 16:51
.... the barman Lawrence had a fantastic memory for faces, he knew your name,the ship you were on and when you were due to sail and when you were due to return.
Andy Stewart

Bloory Hell, Andy, I never upset anyone that much![=P]

Succour
7th September 2009, 06:37
Paddy,
there was one such juke box in the Ferry Tavern South Shields in the sixties, Bobby Vee, Gene Pitney, Susan Maughan, and Helen Shapiro amongst others, with lots of leggy dancers. Sadly Ferry Tavern no more, and leggy dancers less and less.
Ah well!.. it was great at the time.
Cheers.
Succour.

Naytikos
7th September 2009, 06:46
Ron: The Palace long bar, if memory serves.....

PADDY
9th September 2009, 21:44
Many thanks to you all.
I can now say to grandson ' I told you so'!!

Paddy

Ron Stringer
9th September 2009, 21:53
Ron: The Palace long bar, if memory serves.....

Yes, that was the one. Was 43 years ago this month.