INISHOWEN HEAD later CAST BEAVER

Capt. Bruno
8th September 2009, 16:53
Built in 1965 by Austin & Pickersgill as INISHOWEN HEAD she was converted into a Containership in 1970.

Can anyone tell me where she traded as a containership, was she exclusively on the UK to Montreal route ??
As CAST BEAVER, was she the company's first ship?
She was sold canadian in 1979 and became the SUNHERMINE, anyone knows what her trading patterns were at that time?
She was sold again and renamed CATALINA in 1982 and operated on the Montreal to St-John's NDFL milk run until replaced by CICERO.

I am currently compiling information on containerships on the St-Lawrence, CP and Manchester's forays are well documented but the smaller operators are somewhat more mysterious.

BillH
9th September 2009, 12:54
Built in 1965 by Austin & Pickersgill as INISHOWEN HEAD she was converted into a Containership in 1970.

Can anyone tell me where she traded as a containership, was she exclusively on the UK to Montreal route ??
She was sold canadian in 1979 and became the SUNHERMINE, anyone knows what her trading patterns were at that time?
She was sold again and renamed CATALINA in 1982 and operated on the Montreal to St-John's NDFL milk run until replaced by CICERO.

I am currently compiling information on containerships on the St-Lawrence, CP and Manchester's forays are well documented but the smaller operators are somewhat more mysterious.
Potted history

Inishowen Head was owned by Ulster Steamship Co.Ltd (Head Line) Belfast trading UK - Canada
Head Line acquired Donaldson Line with similar trading patterns and the logo on ship-sides became Head Donaldson.
A joint service was later operated by Inishowen Head and CP Ambassador (ex Beaveroak, similarly converted). Europe -Canada
As CAST BEAVER she was chartered out to another operator.

Hope this helps

Capt. Bruno
10th September 2009, 16:38
Great, that gives me a direction to continue on the research.

BillH
10th September 2009, 17:40
Potted history

Inishowen Head was owned by Ulster Steamship Co.Ltd (Head Line) Belfast trading UK - Canada
Head Line acquired Donaldson Line with similar trading patterns and the logo on ship-sides became Head Donaldson.
A joint service was later operated by Inishowen Head and CP Ambassador (ex Beaveroak, similarly converted). Europe -Canada
As CAST BEAVER she was chartered out to another operator.

Hope this helps
INISHOWEN HEAD was converted in 1969/70 with capacity of 334 TEU AND 10 40FT units re-entered service January 70
BEAVEROAK also converted 1969 but was quickly sent for lengthening emerging in April 70 as CP AMBASSADOR 322 TEU

Route Liverpool, Glasgow, Belfast and Dublin to St. Lawrence and Gt.Lakes ports.

IAINT
10th September 2009, 18:11
Hi All,

Joined INISHOWEN HEAD as R.0 in Liverpool he 24th May 1973 - voyage to Montreal - containers - also carried a number of passengers - signed off Liverpool 26th July 1973.

Regards
Iain T

iancrombie
18th October 2010, 15:38

Hi,
I don't know if you are still interested in this vessel, but I sailed in her as Electrician. I think she was the first ship to operate as a Cast "conbulker" closely followed by the Cast Seal. I was actually transferred from the 'Seal' to the 'Beaver' while both ships were being converted in Antwerp. The Cast vessels on the Antwerp-Montreal run were run by Dehholm-Maclay Ship Management.

spbrowne_123
26th November 2012, 17:15
i was a passenger on this ship, leaving Liverpool and arriving in Quebec City on March/19/1971... i was one of 4 passengers making the journey which to say the least was "interesting" !!

yorkshiregeordie
27th November 2012, 01:18
It seems that there is a bit of a mix up here.
The Cast Beaver became that ship after conversion to a Con Bulker in drydock at Antwerp. Prior to that she was a B&W Standard bulker and was named Holthav. Under that name she was owned by Holter and Sorensson and sailed under the Norwegian Flag.
With the Denholm's Second Engineer I flew out to Lorient to join the ship prior to takeover in Antwerp to sus out the systems and armed with Norwegian/English Technical Dictionaries we dymotaped as much as we could into English.
This was done as the first ship we took over was the Cast Otter (also Norwegian) in drydock at Vegesack (Bremen) after all the previous crew had gone. Confusion ensued as everything was in Norwegian and that put at least one week on the conversion. The main problem being in the engineroom. The Cast Otter was not a 'Standard' Ship which did not help. (CAST OTTER Off. No.377380. GRT. 26,624.20. NRT. 16,133.03. BHP 12,600.)
Whilst the conversion of the Beaver was taking place in Antwerp, another Norwegian ship came into the next drydock for conversion. She became the Cast Seal. She was a Standard B&W Build, but was fitted with cranes. In most respects she was a sister ship to the Beaver.
The Beaver arrived in Antwerp in 12.12.1977 for conversion and returned from Canada to Antwerp on 20.03.1978. I was second mate on that first very eventful almost disastouous voyage to Canada and unfortunately took my daughter aged 13 along with me. The Chief Engineer was John Herdman from Whitley Bay. Breakdowns galore, even alongside in Montreal. How John didn't have one beggars belief. Really, she should never have sailed from Antwerp given the engineering and structural problems which followed on later trips. I later sailed on the Beaver 14/12/79 to 28/02/1980 when she was quite literally falling apart. The Captain Harry Jones and as Ch.Off used to go down the holds morning and evening to see if anythin had dropped off. The bulhead between no 6 and No 7 Holds was flapping about like a butterflies wing. Left Denholm/Cast after that. Not worth the risk in the N Atlantic.
After the Cast Seal came the Cast Orca. She again was a standard B&W named Hector - Blue Funnel Line. Then came the last of the con bulkers, the Cast Dolphin, another B&W Standard.
For the sake of completeness the Cast Beaver was Off. No. 377479. GRT. 39,988. Nett. T. 20,621.
If you need any more info just ask. I may be able to help.
Cheers
John

yorkshiregeordie
27th November 2012, 01:32
Hi,
I don't know if you are still interested in this vessel, but I sailed in her as Electrician. I think she was the first ship to operate as a Cast "conbulker" closely followed by the Cast Seal. I was actually transferred from the 'Seal' to the 'Beaver' while both ships were being converted in Antwerp. The Cast vessels on the Antwerp-Montreal run were run by Dehholm-Maclay Ship Management.
Hi Ian,
Whilst I was in drydock in Antwerp on the 'Beaver', the 'Seal'
came in for a similar conversion. I looked after the 'Deck Dept.' on both ships until the coversions moved on a bit and other personnel were sent out. I think that our Chief Eng., John Herdman, was in a similar position until someone came out to look after the 'Seal'.
If you sailed first voyage on the 'Beaver' you must know me and my Daughter and Captain Francis Best. Did you ever sail with Silver Line?
You are correct about the Denholm Maclay Co Ltd as Management of all the Cast Con Bulkers. I understand that they lost the Management to CY Tung of Hong Kong in late 80 or 81 when the Foreign Flag ships became popular for the British Shipowners/Managers.
Cheers
John Needham (Yorkie)
Cheers
John

A.D.FROST
27th November 2012, 13:25

yorkshiregeordie
28th November 2012, 00:55

Looks like I will have to dig my photos out of cold storage.

Is it not illegal to have two ships bearing the same name?

I see that these photos show the vessel carrying 'Cast' Containers so there must be substance to the presumption that there were two ships bearing the same name but I did not see or hear of the other 'Cast Beaver' in my few years with 'Cast'.
I wonder? I understand that before 'Cast' obtained their own berth in Montreal, they used the 'Manchester Liners' berth and the 'Inishowen Head' was of a similar size and set up to the M. Liners so maybe she was there inbetween times.

A mystery which bears investigation.

yorkshiregeordie
28th November 2012, 01:15
Further to my last post, I googled MV Cast Beaver and came up with a post from this Forum dated 08/07/09 posted by 'Waighty' - Senior Member who posted:
Cast Beaver Etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I joined Denholm-Maclay as Chief Mate in order to get shorter trips on the mini-bulkers circa 1978; no surprise that I ended up on the early Cast Boats (Cast Beaver), UK registered, which were con-bulkers trading Antwerp to Montreal. I recall permanent riding squads trying to keep up with the leaking ballast tanks, sprung frames and brackets and double bottoms with more corrosion build up than ballast. Not forgetting the main deck that you could see through in way of No4 Hatch!

Crew from the Antwerp NUS Pool and very good. Latterly crew from Cape Verde Islands - not as good but willing.

Some phenomenal parties in Montreal and some glorious ladies to help them on their way - happy days. I can't recall any names except I think the Master was a MacKinnon ex Blue Star and a sup't called Bob Speedie (y?). Finally returned to good old general cargo tramping.

If Waighty is still with us, please pitch in with your two pennorth!

A.D.FROST
28th November 2012, 08:31
Looks like I will have to dig my photos out of cold storage.

Is it not illegal to have two ships bearing the same name?

I see that these photos show the vessel carrying 'Cast' Containers so there must be substance to the presumption that there were two ships bearing the same name but I did not see or hear of the other 'Cast Beaver' in my few years with 'Cast'.
I wonder? I understand that before 'Cast' obtained their own berth in Montreal, they used the 'Manchester Liners' berth and the 'Inishowen Head' was of a similar size and set up to the M. Liners so maybe she was there inbetween times.

A mystery which bears investigation.
CAST BEAVER(ex.INISHOWEN HEAD)charted to Cast 73-77.CAST BEAVER (ex.HOLTHAV)owned by Cast 77-83.Looks like Cast started with the chartered INISHOWEN HEAD until they obtained their own tonnage.(CAST OTTER,DOLPHIN,SEAL,BEAVER)ie no overlap of the name CAST BEAVER.

yorkshiregeordie
28th November 2012, 14:46
CAST BEAVER(ex.INISHOWEN HEAD)charted to Cast 73-77.CAST BEAVER (ex.HOLTHAV)owned by Cast 77-83.Looks like Cast started with the chartered INISHOWEN HEAD until they obtained their own tonnage.(CAST OTTER,DOLPHIN,SEAL,BEAVER)ie no overlap of the name CAST BEAVER.
Thanks for that. I have just cleaned my glasses and all is clear now!!!

Waighty
11th January 2014, 13:45
Hello Yorkshiregeordie and Iain Crombie. The Cast Beaver I sailed on was very definitely the ex Norwegian bulk carrier, I know because they left a lot of extremely good stuff on board ranging from stationery to cold weather boots!

I joined her on 29 April 1978 in Antwerp as Mate and left on 16 July 1978 also at Antwerp, basically two round trips. If memory serves Harry Jones was the Master for the second trip and a great bloke he was. The comments about her condition in my previous post are true - the years hadn't been kind to her. On the first round trip the ballast tanks leaked into No4 hold and flooded a stow of John Deere tractors - very eerie standing in the access trunking looking down on the shimmering water surface with all the submerged brand new tractors. It was a good thing we had a permanent riding squad on board who welded doubling plates over the offending holes; not my favourite episode!

Ian, you and I sailed together on Gowanbank in 1974 when we had the change of Masters in Melbourne - George Scott was taken off and Donald Carmichael took over. I was 2nd Mate. All the best to you.