Queen Eliabeth

billyboy
25th September 2005, 12:51
need an update here lads. She caught fire and sunk. I think in hong kong, she was used in her sunken position as an office,"so i am told" is the remains of her still there or is she prodicing razor blades now? lundlubber mate reckons she was salvaged !! cant remember hearing anything about that though. is this landlubber having one of those moments? any information will be gratfulymrecieved with the donation of my "TOT"

david smith
25th September 2005, 13:00
James Bond had an office!
She was broken up in situ

billyboy
26th September 2005, 00:28
thanks for that David. My mate has it all wrong as usual. he reckoned she was floated and towed away!!Must nail him for a pint now.

R798780
26th September 2005, 08:27
need an update here lads. She caught fire and sunk. I think in hong kong, she was used in her sunken position as an office,"so i am told" is the remains of her still there or is she prodicing razor blades now? lundlubber mate reckons she was salvaged !! cant remember hearing anything about that though. is this landlubber having one of those moments? any information will be gratfulymrecieved with the donation of my "TOT"
I have a shot of her during dismantling, taken some time in mid '75 when Lumiere called at Hong Kong. I'll try an scan and post it

Doug Rogers
26th September 2005, 09:16
I think my wife passed through Hong Kong bound Oz a week or so after the incident happened. I think she took a number of pictures of her when she was on a harbour cruise. I'll see if she can locate them and I'll scan and post them if we have any luck.

R58484956
26th September 2005, 12:05
Yes she was cut up in situ by the koreans, a very sad end to a marvellous ship, she was my home for many many glorious years as an engineer.

Doug Rogers
3rd October 2005, 07:44
Have now had a hunt through the old pictures and have located three pictures that my wife took transiting Hong Kong some days after the fire. Not very good quality but will post them under Ocean Liners in the Gallery for any one interested.

bsturrell
24th December 2005, 14:57
Had the good fortune to cross the pond in the Queen Elizabeth in 1964 the RN in their wisdom considered it the cheapest way to get me to the States.
I still have the ships programmes.

here's a sample.

Brian T

Iceberg
25th December 2005, 20:25
A story of the QE after Cunard but before Hong Kong is here:
http://www.maritimematters.com/elizabeth-ghareeb.html

bsturrell
22nd January 2006, 16:46
A model of the old lady at the Science Museum, photo taken some time in the 70s, my two children are there to give some idea of the scale.

Brian T

STEVETEARE
11th March 2007, 01:44
Sorry year or two late but only just joined 'Ships Nostalgia'
reading about QE. I sailed on her in the very early sixties as a Radio Officer and counted the best time of my life. She was indeed cut up in situ after being used in the Bond film as 'M's office in 'Man With The Golden Gun.' I still have the newspaper with the fire as front page news. Most of the info snippets are correct except they couldn,t cut up her massive boilers so they left them and they now form part of the foundations for Hong Kong's new container berth.

R58484956
11th March 2007, 17:28
Greetings Steve and welcome from an ex engineer on board the QE, enjoy the site and all it has to offer. Bon voyage.

Mark Chirnside
13th July 2007, 14:06
Seeing the above posts makes me wonder. How about a QE thread, whereby those who have served on her or been passengers could share their memories of the liner? I am sure there would be a lot of interest.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Klunky
12th June 2008, 07:13
Do you remember Klunky? It's me, come back to haunt you!!
So, where are you now and what are you up to? Are you in touch with Mike Sutcliffe, or any of the old gang? I know Ernie and Len passed away years ago.