British Argosy

barrow-boy
26th September 2005, 02:33
British Argosy off Cape Town, South Africa 01/01/1969 I joined her later in June 1969 Loch Long, Scotland as a second trip deck boy, and off to Kharg Island we went. I paid off in Tilbury 17th August 1969 and we where told it was the biggest ship that had ever sailed that far up the Thames, and my small claim to fame was that I was "on the Wheel" all the way.

Jan Hendrik
26th September 2005, 04:57
Lucky you did not need to paint the decks.....

Nice photograph

paul0510
26th September 2005, 09:59
...and I was 2/O on this my last BP Tanker in '75. Did the 'Hole-in-the-Wall' southbound out of the Gulf which was generally considered a no-no undertaking.

John_F
26th September 2005, 16:09
...and I was 2/O on this my last BP Tanker in '75. Did the 'Hole-in-the-Wall' southbound out of the Gulf which was generally considered a no-no undertaking.
Paul,
We were going to attempt it on the British Renown (only 16,000 tons!) but at the last minute the old man got cold feet. I have a photo somewhere of "The Hole" & will try to find it. There is a very good description & photos of this transit on Ambrose Jones site:
http://www.free-internet.co.uk/users/ambrose.jones/The_Quoins.html
Regards,
John

R798780
26th September 2005, 18:08
There were a few places which were in the no-go category for BP tankers, it would void the insurance. I know that the passage north of the islands off the Omani coast (Kuria Muria ?) was one, couldn't go there on Luxor when she was on BP charter, and I imagine the hole would also be. Went through on Luminetta with the engine room serang on the wheel !

rushie
1st April 2006, 11:08
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help with some info, or photos would be marvellous, of the Bristish Argosy when she dry-docked at Camell Lairds on the Mersey in Aug / Sept 1972.

My father was the 1st mate and had also previously skippered her.

I remember the time well as I was able to visit and stay on the ship whilst she was in port.

I remember that she made it into the dry dock with feet to spare, her bows overhanging the dockyard and her stern above the river! She was 112000 tons!

The night before they were due to sail to the Gulf the ship was boarded by dockers who broke into the freezers and threw the contents into the river, where they were collected by people in boats. I believe that the incident became so high profile that BP refused to dry dock any of their ships in the UK.

Any info is welcome.

Cheers,

Rushie

Jeff Egan
1st April 2006, 13:26
They must have changed their minds again Rushie, as my records show I piloted the British Spey in 1979 the British Commadore in 1980 the British Tamar in 1988 and 1997 also the Border Castle by then also under BP in 1979, all in the Tyne. Bearing in mind I was one of fifty odd Pilots on the Tyne in the 1970s they must have been drydocking on the Tyne quite often then.

gdynia
1st April 2006, 13:42
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help with some info, or photos would be marvellous, of the Bristish Argosy when she dry-docked at Camell Lairds on the Mersey in Aug / Sept 1972.

I remember the time well as I was able to visit and stay on the ship whilst she was in port.

I remember that she made it into the dry dock with feet to spare, her bows overhanging the dockyard and her stern above the river! She was 112000 tons!

The night before they were due to sail to the Gulf the ship was boarded by dockers who broke into the freezers and threw the contents into the river, where they were collected by people in boats. I believe that the incident became so high profile that BP refused to dry dock any of their ships in the UK.

Any info is welcome.

Cheers,

Rushie

Rushie
Theres a photo of her at sea on the following webpage

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/british%20argosy.html

I think some one is pulling your leg as BP docked alot of Vessels in Uk before and after that date as I was on two at Smiths Docks.

rushie
1st April 2006, 18:06
Thanks mate....apparently mechanically she was a b*gger to handle...often not reaching the speeds or performances she was apparently built for, breakdowns were also frequent. One of the last ss ships they had....at least my dad gained his first command on on eof the worst they could have supplied him with..!!

Cheers,

Rushie

rushie
1st April 2006, 18:09
They must have changed their minds again Rushie, as my records show I piloted the British Spey in 1979 the British Commadore in 1980 the British Tamar in 1988 and 1997 also the Border Castle by then also under BP in 1979, all in the Tyne. Bearing in mind I was one of fifty odd Pilots on the Tyne in the 1970s they must have been drydocking on the Tyne quite often then.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mate,

Perhaps it was a ban on visiting the thieving yards of Cammell Lairds and not a UK thing then. On the whole...very sad. Perhaps the yard can look back and think of what it missed out on

Cheers Rushie

Jeff Egan
1st April 2006, 18:17
You could find yourself on a sticky wicket there Rushie, Cammell Lairds had a proud tradition going back many years.

rushie
1st April 2006, 19:30
Hi Jeff,

I agree. Cammell Laird is one of many fine British shipyards and shipbuilders.

Unfortunately on this occassion they let themselves down. That has precluded in downscaling over the years and now the yard, like most other British yards they have degenerated into a token political gesture to keep them open. The Commy union led disruptions of the early 70's (same time the British Argosy got robbed) led to the shambles in the 80's when any Gov said..."got yourselves to blame...get on with it"...I have some sympathy now as I do not wish to see a yard with so much history, and some proud workforce (who were too afraid to speak up during the 70's lightning strike periods) being dissused.

Why the hell was Queen Mary 2 built in France under a Labour Gov..?

Anyway...rant over..!

Fact is British Argosy was sent to a British yard for overhaul...and was robbed. Truly not in the true British fashion of things in my book!

Cheers,

Rushie

scooby do
1st April 2006, 19:46
It was around early 1960 ish when first British neuclear sub visited cammel laird for one reason or another. Security was very high,nobody was allowed near They put her on the end of a jetty away from prying eyes. 24 our gaurd etc. etc. In the morning when the sun came up painted along her side in white paint.

LIVERPOOL RAG

rushie
1st April 2006, 19:58
Just a prelude...

Forgot to mention my dad's name - he was Gareth Roberts.

If anyone served on the Argosy between Dec 70 and May 72 I'd be delighted to hear from you!!

One entry in his record book shows Clyde Ports. I can only assume this may refer to the time he went to Garrelochead. Anyone got any other ideas or info..?

Cheers,

Rushie.

Gulpers
1st April 2006, 20:33
Just a prelude...

Forgot to mention my dad's name - he was Gareth Roberts.

If anyone served on the Argosy between Dec 70 and May 72 I'd be delighted to hear from you!!

One entry in his record book shows Clyde Ports. I can only assume this may refer to the time he went to Garrelochead. Anyone got any other ideas or info..?

Cheers,

Rushie.
British Argosy on the Clyde .. must have been Finnart Oil Terminal, Loch Long. Garelochhead is over the hill from Finnart. (Thumb)

rushie
1st April 2006, 20:46
Yes indeed...Finnart rings a bell now. Is it still up and running..?

Rushie

Jeff Egan
2nd April 2006, 11:30
I dont think QM2 would have been a government decision rushie and to say commie unions were to blame for the closure of shipyards is an over simplification I think.

rushie
12th April 2006, 08:33
Jeff,

Saw a superb picture (slide show last night) of the Britsh Hazel arriving on the Tyne for dry-docking in 1969....were you around for that one..?

Cheers,

Rushie.

Harry Tate
12th April 2006, 08:56
Sorry just missed me I see I signed on British argosy 27/11/72

One of the best ships I sailed on crew wise.

BTW I joined Esso Severn before maiden Voyage, in the Canada Dock Liverpool.

She had been towed over from Cammel Laird as the yard was on strike.

I distinctly remember the hook on my cabin door where some one had drilled 3 holes before getting the position right.

rushie
12th April 2006, 09:23
Cheers Harry,

Dad had sailed on her as Mate before taking command, and he enjoyed the ship...although he used to tell me that she was rather prone to "mechanical faults".!

She was absolutely huge compared to his other ships that I'd visited.!....then I went on the Shoush, and the Argosy was like a dinky toy.!

Rushie

rushie
12th April 2006, 22:20
Jeff,

I visited my dad on the Tyne in 1967 on the British Vine. Spent most of the time on the Shields ferry with an apprentice chaperone.! I even remember the journey home...and seeing a big red steam engine at Chester..!

His discharge books also show the following Tyne entries -

British Lady - left North Shields 17/09/56 - 3rd Mate
British Lady - joined North Shields 27/09/56 - 3rd Mate
British Valour - joined Newcastle 10/07/57 - 3rd Mate
British Advocate - left South Shields 09/08/58 - 2nd Mate
British Advocate - joined South Shields 29/08/58 - 2nd Mate
British Talent - left South Shields 05/06/61 - 2nd Mate
British Sovereign - joined South Shields 05/06/61 (same day as above!) - Extra 2nd Mate
British Defender - joined South Shields 03/01/63 - 1st Mate
British Vision - joined North Shields 17/10/63 - 1st Mate
British Fame - left South Shields 16/08/66 - 1st Mate
British Vine - joined South Shields 17/04/67 - 1st Mate
British Destiny - left Newcastle 28/04/68 - 1st Mate
British Destiny - joined Newcastle 29/05/68 - 1st Mate
British Adventure - left (stamp shows) Tyne and Wear 17/09/70 - 1st Mate

Plenty of action on the Tyne then..!

What was the difference between the Newcastle and Shields stamps?

Cheers,

Rushie.

davet
26th April 2006, 14:23
I think that about 1972 the Gov. sold off a lot of shares in BP and as a result BP went out to competative tendering world wide. I was with BP from 1961 to 1982 when made redundant. By the early seveties docking abroard was common. The 'Realm' docked in Greece in 1969 and the 'Lancer' docked in M****illes in 1972 and Rotterdam in 1973. At that time there was a big board in the engineering superintendents office which gave details of which yards were used and overall costs. Overall, I think that Blohm & Voss, Hamburg was the cheapest when all factors were taken into consideration.
DaveT

R58484956
26th April 2006, 18:39
Welcome davet to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

Wild Rover
29th April 2006, 10:56
Rushie, found this thread while trawling through the site. About the different stamps on the Tyne. Most people joining BP ships on the Tyne would be doing so at the begining and end of a voyage in a drydock, this would most likely be in Brighams and Cowans or Middle docks in South Shields or Smiths docks North Shields, for these the shipping office in South Shields would, I think have jurisdiction and so the ship would be joined in Shields. If the vessel was drydocked in Swan Hunters at Wallsend the shipping office in Newcastle would have jurisdiction so the ship would be joined in Newcastle. The one exception to this I can think of is someone joining a vessel mid voyage at Jarrow Oil Wharf, the nearest shipping office would be South Shields. Hope this helps.

rushie
30th April 2006, 17:42
Thanks for the info..!

Rushie

Fraserbetts
13th May 2007, 10:57
Hello all,

Any info is welcome.

Cheers,

Rushie

I've sent you a private email, put it on the site if you think anyone might be interested. As I said I was second mate on board at the time
Fraser

Barry Wood
14th May 2007, 02:56
I sailed on the British Argosy from 23/11/68 till 1/2/69 I have some pictures of her the 3 Eng , took them for me they are myself and other crew members
that where on her at that time .
I believe that this was only her second deep sea vouage when I was on her before joining her I had to go on a course at South Shields has far has I can remember for a fire fighting course and and as a Lifeboatman have looked in my D.B and can not make the masters name his name as got ship in his surname hope this will help you

barrow-boy
14th May 2007, 05:31
Barry
I was on the Argosy in June 1969 and the captains name was E.W.Shingler I joined her in Garrelochead. and the entry in my D.B. was Glasgow

Barry Wood
15th May 2007, 02:42
I also joined the //british Argosy at Glasgow and signed off at Milford Haven
on the 1/2/69 Barrow Boy
Also thinking about it the cook's name was Vince having anothe look in my DB
it doe's say something ship wrote in green ink been the master.
It was the first time an Ass/Stw had to ggo on deck if needed glad I did not have to has far as I new at that time she was one of the biggest tankers afloat.Barrow Boy we just missed one another there might have been some of the same crew on her while you were on her can you remember any of them

barrow-boy
18th May 2007, 05:34
Barry,
I remember the chief Steward was a geordie and he used to give the bosun, who was a skinny little bloke from Leicester a lot of flack for constantly sun bathing in a tiny pair of shorts. The phrase "big girls blouse" was often heard.
We paid off in Tilbury and I've always resented having to give the copper at the dock gate half a crown to let us through without searching the cab we was in. Not that we had anything to hide you don't get much contraband from the Gulf. I don't think I even went ashore there.

paul0510
18th May 2007, 10:07
My last BP tanker as 2M in '75. Can hardly remember a thing about her apart from joining her off Sharja, her Master Pete Jackson and us running through the 'Hole-in-the-Wall'.

Geoff_E
18th May 2007, 13:56
Argosy was my last ship as Cadet. Bob Twist was the Master. I wonder if Peter Jackson was Mate on that trip? I certainly sailed with him as Mate around that time. Splendid shipmates both, (in the true sense of the word as they treated all ranks with courtesy and good humour). I retain very happy memories.

The other memory is of the pianola in the officer's bar. (We used to find sparks' shoes on top of it on a Sunday morning after a good Saturday night at sea - in fact I seem to recall that Saturday night was a regular whist night).

It's the first time in a good many years that I've had cause to pause and recollect the ship and her people (Now, who was the sparks that trip?).

Final thought; we took a cargo from the Gulf to Durban and discharged at the SBM. We succeeded in ramming it (fairly gently) but pierced the shell plating in way of the forepeak. I can remember making the cement box!

Fraserbetts
20th May 2007, 08:07
Jeff,

I visited my dad on the Tyne in 1967 on the British Vine. Spent most of the time on the Shields ferry with an apprentice chaperone.! I even remember the journey home...and seeing a big red steam engine at Chester..!

His discharge books also show the following Tyne entries -

British Lady - left North Shields 17/09/56 - 3rd Mate
British Lady - joined North Shields 27/09/56 - 3rd Mate
British Valour - joined Newcastle 10/07/57 - 3rd Mate
British Advocate - left South Shields 09/08/58 - 2nd Mate
British Advocate - joined South Shields 29/08/58 - 2nd Mate
British Talent - left South Shields 05/06/61 - 2nd Mate
British Sovereign - joined South Shields 05/06/61 (same day as above!) - Extra 2nd Mate
British Defender - joined South Shields 03/01/63 - 1st Mate
British Vision - joined North Shields 17/10/63 - 1st Mate
British Fame - left South Shields 16/08/66 - 1st Mate
British Vine - joined South Shields 17/04/67 - 1st Mate
British Destiny - left Newcastle 28/04/68 - 1st Mate
British Destiny - joined Newcastle 29/05/68 - 1st Mate
British Adventure - left (stamp shows) Tyne and Wear 17/09/70 - 1st Mate

Plenty of action on the Tyne then..!

What was the difference between the Newcastle and Shields stamps?

Cheers,

Rushie.

Did your day sail on the Forties Kiwi? ALSO - you may remember I sent you details of the Argosy; I'm working in China and have checked, I was on there 10/73 to 3/74. Dry dock in Birkenhead must have been sometime in between.
Fraser

Fraserbetts
20th May 2007, 08:14
Geoff - I was 2/O on Argosy from 10/73 to 3/74. Joined Finnart, left RAK. Remember both the pianola (which left in dry dock at Brikenhead if memory serves me right); also Bob Twist, checked my discharge book and I think he signed me off. As you say, a gentleman.
Fraser

Sheddy
23rd May 2007, 10:37
I was 3/0 on the argosey at round about these dates, I remember the whist nights I think they were organised by the Leckys wife. Formal dress with collar and tie was expected, the whist was followed by sing songs around the piano. Also remember the trips to SBM off Durban and having to call the shore station on morse lamp. Vibration on the bridge was unbearable when the vessel was in ballast. Good times and good crew.

gadgee
23rd May 2007, 19:13
Sheddy

Yes I remember that vibration, but we had her up to 19.5kts in ballast when I was a Nav Cadet on her in 68. Commodore R. Friendship was the Master, a real gentleman.

Barry Wood
31st May 2007, 01:27
Barrow Boy
I have been thinking the 2nd steward was called Peter he was from Geordie
he was a bout 5feet 7 inches tall stocky built brown hair,the Cook was called Vince,other members of the crew came from Liverpool or there abouts that;s
where I come from has one gets older its a bit hard to think that far back but I have been really thinking about other crew members there was a Glyn ,from wales of course and there was a lad from N.Ireland these where AB'S
Thinking back the 3nd Engineer he was not very tall the Elec was a tall guy who had wera thick black glasses ,The other As had ginger hair and he came from Liverpool where any of these on her when you where on her
Barry

barrow-boy
1st June 2007, 05:27
Barry,
I did a 4 month trip on the B. Commodore before the Argosy, so after all this time the crews have kind of blended together. But I do remember most of the catering crowd where Scottish lads from the local pool and the cook was a stocky guy with a grey crew cut, who liked a drink. Most of the deckies where from the Highlands, Stornaway and South Uist, one of the firemen was also from the there his nickname was "Cokey" as he drank a case of Coca Cola a day, I looked in his cabin one day at his collection of pull rings from the cans, he had made chains out of them and had 1000's.

John Hunter
4th June 2007, 19:39
Rushie,

I sailed with your DAD on the Destiny leaving the Tyve in May 1968. This was my 2nd ship as cadet. I could'nt believe my luck when I was told to join the Destiny at Wallsend as I only lived a few miles away in So Shields and madly in love at the time, it was like getting extra leave. With your Dads permission I did not have to sleep on the ship providing I was onboard 9-5. I had a lambretta and used to drive through the Tyne tunnel every day to the =ship, it was like having a shore job..things got even better when a 2 week drydock turned into a month because they decided the boiler tubes needed replacing. It was very hard though when we eventually left the Tyne.......

I have a picture of the Destiny at the drydock....

Regards

John Hunter

JGSmith
4th June 2007, 23:18
Sheddy, Gadgee, Rushie
Just discovered this forum. Regarding the vibration, mostly seemed to cause regular failure of the condenser tubes! I was on Argosy in 68 and 69 as RO. Was on her when had the failure of the turbine bearings up Gulf of Oman resulting in very slow passage home via Simonstown for inspection, ending up in Greenock for the repairs. Was also there when did a full condenser retube in Lisbon followed by a superfast trip to the gulf with no stops, GAS around 19.5k with one day over 21k. Shw was a quick one in ballast but the vibration was murder on bridge/shack. Admiral was better on bridge, worse in shack. 2/O used to do chart corrections in the CCR!
JGSmith

Sheddy
26th June 2007, 22:26
Hello Geoff E,
I was just reading your contribution to the thread, we must have sailed together at that time because i also remember the cement box, I was 3/0 onboard at that time. I'll have to check my old discharge books but certainly Bob Twist sounds familiar. If I remeber there were quiet a few cadets onboard at that time.

Rob.Norrie
7th July 2007, 07:51
Hello, That was just one of these things that happen in many yards. lucky it was,t the beer locker.Maybe you are a little too trusting to think of that,
All the money ships gave Suez canal, would not stop them taking an old pair of boots left outside the cabin door. regards Rob

Minto
7th November 2011, 13:59
Only just read this post!!
Commodore Ronnie Friendship was master of the Argosy.
He tookover from Charles Colburn who retired 24th Nov.1967.

ninabaker
9th May 2012, 00:34
I was only on the Argosy very briefly 25/7/73 to 26/8/73, as 3rd trip D/C, pretty much filling in time before going to college for Phase 1.
I remember joining at Finnart with very nearly the entire crew and officers apart from the cook. Goodness knows why the company thought that was a good idea because we hadnt been on board more than an hour when a fire broke out in the pumproom and naturally no one had muster stations or knew where anything was. The cook put it out!!

I cant read the place I paid off at - maybe Kharg island?? and the master looks to have been M Boyd?

I remember that pianola VERY fondly. I was the only female on that trip but that didnt stop the officers having loads of parties round the pianola.

Bizarrely, a few years later when I was 3/o on the Unity, that self same pianola had migrated to there and was used a lot. I understand it was gifted to the company by some aristocratic lady to provide wholesome entertainment, which I guess it actually did.

GrahamBurn
18th September 2012, 20:34
I was there too! I'll have to get out my old D/B to check the dates but it would have been second half of '75 as I came out of my time and had my 21st on board, Bob Twist was Captain for at least part of the trip.
I remember 3/E Chris Dalquen(hope that's spelled right!) keeping us entertained in the bar with his folk songs and that it was very much work hard play hard, remember spending many hours in the water drum with a plug while the 2/E poured water down from the steam drum to find the leaky tubes, lagging on the astern steam line bursting into flames on stand by's, Brian Stott the chief leckie, if I think of any others I'll put them on.
Reference the pianola I'm afraid I was responsible for its transfer from the Argosy to the Unity on which I served the next trip.
The story goes something like this, we were at anchor off Bahrain and the Argosy was at the outer anchorage awaiting orders for the breakers so a trip across by lifeboat was arranged to transfer urgent ships stores(42 cases of Swan Lager) and I said wouldn't it be a shame if the pianola in the Argosy's bar were to end up in the breakers yard?So long story short we were despatched to do the transfer, stayed on the Argosy and watched a movie, had a few and then loaded up the pianola on the lifeboat. I remember we had very little freeboard as we also took several boxes of music rolls as well. On the way back on this black dark night there was a thunderstorm which thankfully didn't turn to rain, when we finally arrived back to the Unity we had to take the outside door off its hinges to get the pianola through but once installed in the bar it gave us many nights of entertainment, Captain on the Unity at the time was IK Miller AKA Tommy Cooper because of his uncanny resemblance!
I seem to remember the Unity being a lot like the Argosy with lots of exciting times down below and a lively social scene, Joe Pyne was the chief, wonder if anyone else out there remembers these times?
Best wishes
Graham

ninabaker
19th September 2012, 00:02
Great story about the pianola, Graham, thanks for that. I have always had a soft spot for pianolas ever since and hope one day to own one.

On the Unity we were, at one point, in Venezuela, in a port which seemed to be in the usual middle of nowhere when this english guy turns up. It seems that he was there to commission a power station and was lonely for english voices. So that evening he, the harbour master and Mrs harbour master came for a party in the bar. Mr & Mrs HM didnt have a word of english between them but a riotous time was had by all, down to the pianola again.

Sadly the Unity was in every other respects, not a nice trip for me as a new 3/0. The OM whom Graham mentions was NOT as humourous as his nickname suggests - his other nickname was Ivan the Terrible and he gave me a hell of a time. His first words to me on signing on were " I want this to be clear - there will be NO sex on my ship". As I had been at sea over 3 years at this point, i thought I had heard everything, but that one stunned me and our relationship went solidly downhill from thereon in until paying off.

Fortunately the company told me they neither read nor kept any of his reports as he was notorious.

GrahamBurn
19th September 2012, 09:04
Sorry to hear Ivan gave you a rough ride on the Unity, can only put it down to prejudice of which there was still a lot around in those days, no excuse I know, but they were very different days then, I remember having to forward our marriage certificate to big panic house before my wife could join me at sea, something which I doubt would be required today, but just an indication of how things have changed. We still have a bit of fun with that one telling people we had to be married and watching the faces and then explaining!
ATB
Graham

Jon Vincent
20th September 2012, 02:34
Hi Graham. Talking of wives, in 1974 you had to have superior lincence (master/Chief) before you could carry your wife and then your wife was interviewed before permission was granted,my wife was as nervouse as hell. Much later on the "Tanacity" after a voyage from Swansea to Grain, my favourite local super asked me if I knew the seconds wife, naturally I said I did was then told to throw her off as she was lady of leasure fron the "Railway Inn" Swansea and that he had already checked and he was not married. As they say strange things happen at sea

GrahamBurn
20th September 2012, 15:34
Yes Jon, I remember often being told how lucky I was to have my wife with me as I was at first a lowly J/E then 4/E.
I also remember a certain Master of a River class on which I sailed who had his wife with him, then on arrival at Grain she made a quick departure as his wife was joining, never did work out which one, if either, was actually his wife!! RHIP!!
Graham

James_C
20th September 2012, 16:28
I also remember a certain Master of a River class on which I sailed who had his wife with him, then on arrival at Grain she made a quick departure as his wife was joining, never did work out which one, if either, was actually his wife!! RHIP!!
Graham

I've known that to happen a couple of times, including when the wife of a certain 3/E enquired about joining his ship as some kind of anniversary surprise, only to be told by some rather embarrassed office staff that "she" was already onboard!
Think that was a river boat too!

Duncan112
20th September 2012, 17:41
I was there too! I'll have to get out my old D/B to check the dates but it would have been second half of '75 as I came out of my time and had my 21st on board, Bob Twist was Captain for at least part of the trip.
I remember 3/E Chris Dalquen(hope that's spelled right!) keeping us entertained in the bar with his folk songs and that it was very much work hard play hard, remember spending many hours in the water drum with a plug while the 2/E poured water down from the steam drum to find the leaky tubes, lagging on the astern steam line bursting into flames on stand by's, Brian Stott the chief leckie, if I think of any others I'll put them on.
Reference the pianola I'm afraid I was responsible for its transfer from the Argosy to the Unity on which I served the next trip.
The story goes something like this, we were at anchor off Bahrain and the Argosy was at the outer anchorage awaiting orders for the breakers so a trip across by lifeboat was arranged to transfer urgent ships stores(42 cases of Swan Lager) and I said wouldn't it be a shame if the pianola in the Argosy's bar were to end up in the breakers yard?So long story short we were despatched to do the transfer, stayed on the Argosy and watched a movie, had a few and then loaded up the pianola on the lifeboat. I remember we had very little freeboard as we also took several boxes of music rolls as well. On the way back on this black dark night there was a thunderstorm which thankfully didn't turn to rain, when we finally arrived back to the Unity we had to take the outside door off its hinges to get the pianola through but once installed in the bar it gave us many nights of entertainment, Captain on the Unity at the time was IK Miller AKA Tommy Cooper because of his uncanny resemblance!
I seem to remember the Unity being a lot like the Argosy with lots of exciting times down below and a lively social scene, Joe Pyne was the chief, wonder if anyone else out there remembers these times?
Best wishes
Graham

Spelt perfectly correctly, Chris Dalquen is a big steam enthusiast who has a large model traction engine - search You Tube and you'll see him driving it round Whitby. I seem to recall an article about him in Fleet News that said whenever he was in a UK port he'd search the local phone book for other Dalquens to see if he could find any more of his family.

Sailed with Brian Stott twice, once on the Respect and again on the Security - lived in Skipton - anyone know if he's still around?

DAVELECKIE
20th September 2012, 18:30
Spelt perfectly correctly, Chris Dalquen is a big steam enthusiast who has a large model traction engine - search You Tube and you'll see him driving it round Whitby. I seem to recall an article about him in Fleet News that said whenever he was in a UK port he'd search the local phone book for other Dalquens to see if he could find any more of his family.

Sailed with Brian Stott twice, once on the Respect and again on the Security - lived in Skipton - anyone know if he's still around?

A former seagoing pal of mine Vince Salkeld is a friend of Brians, I have emailed him for some info . Vince was an R/O with BP later North sea and most recently working for BP in Trinidad.
Will post about Brian when I hear more.

Dave

GrahamBurn
20th September 2012, 19:02
I did hear on the grapevine that Brian had recently retired from BP, if you get in touch give him my best wishes, I'm sure he'll remember Las Palmas ;-)
Graham

DAVELECKIE
24th September 2012, 15:30

As promised have found out about Brian Stott.
Now aged 70 he is retired and still lives in Skipton.
I have an email address for him and will gladly pass it on to you, just PM me and I will do the necessary.
I will email him as he is apparently interested in what forums us ex seagoing salts use.
Hopefully then he will register on Ships Nostalgia.

Dave

chris dalquen
1st November 2012, 10:29
Best wishes
Graham

yes i seem to remember the pianola departing on a life boat but i cant remember where

mpr41410
23rd June 2013, 21:00
IK Miller was old man on the hms br vine when I was 1st trip chief. The officers gave him a real hard time as I recall, it was alleged the mate was an alkie.
Anyway, she was indian crew, no cadets either deck or engine. Only 3 mates and 7 engineers including me. Typical coastal manning!
I warned him when I joined I was a bit of a jonah, he disparagingly said don't worry I've sailed with jonahs before. Two days later the pilot put us over a lump of rock on the way to oslo and cleaved the ship from 11 centre right up to the afterwell.
I did say to him after that perhaps he hadn't sailed with a good one.
Obviously there's a lot more to that story but I've just settled down to share a bottle of red with my old lady and enjoy the sunset.

chris dalquen
24th June 2013, 07:26
IK Miller was old man on the hms br vine when I was 1st trip chief. The officers gave him a real hard time as I recall, it was alleged the mate was an alkie.
Anyway, she was indian crew, no cadets either deck or engine. Only 3 mates and 7 engineers including me. Typical coastal manning!
I warned him when I joined I was a bit of a jonah, he disparagingly said don't worry I've sailed with jonahs before. Two days later the pilot put us over a lump of rock on the way to oslo and cleaved the ship from 11 centre right up to the afterwell.
I did say to him after that perhaps he hadn't sailed with a good one.
Obviously there's a lot more to that story but I've just settled down to share a bottle of red with my old lady and enjoy the sunset.

Ik told me when he contacted the office over that incident he asked if they wanted the good news or the bad news they said you better give us the good news he said there is a hole in the ship about 2 inch wide they replied well whats the bad news and he said as far as we can make out its 58 foot long

retfordmackem
2nd September 2013, 22:15
We did it on the Gunner approx june 1970,through the little quoins GOING TO RAS AL KHAIMA .I was Lecky on board .COULD NEARLY TOUCH THE ROCKS ON BOTH SIDES .WHAT A FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE. RETFORD MACKEM. Master stroke by the captain as there was an atmosphere on the ship at the time and this event brought everyone back to normal.

retfordmackem
2nd September 2013, 22:50
Barry
I was on the Argosy in June 1969 and the captains name was E.W.Shingler I joined her in Garrelochead. and the entry in my D.B. was Glasgow
I joined the Argosy in July 1973 at Finnart and sailed to Kharg Iskland on her and left on Late August .Captains name was Boyd a lovely chap.

ninabaker
2nd September 2013, 23:33
I joined the Argosy in July 1973 at Finnart and sailed to Kharg Iskland on her and left on Late August .Captains name was Boyd a lovely chap.

Clearly the same trip that I was on, as I as paying off to go to college for phase 1. I am hopeless at names and faces so I am not sure who you are!

n

retfordmackem
3rd September 2013, 01:15
I was only on the Argosy very briefly 25/7/73 to 26/8/73, as 3rd trip D/C, pretty much filling in time before going to college for Phase 1.
I remember joining at Finnart with very nearly the entire crew and officers apart from the cook. Goodness knows why the company thought that was a good idea because we hadnt been on board more than an hour when a fire broke out in the pumproom and naturally no one had muster stations or knew where anything was. The cook put it out!!

I cant read the place I paid off at - maybe Kharg island?? and the master looks to have been M Boyd?

I remember that pianola VERY fondly. I was the only female on that trip but that didnt stop the officers having loads of parties round the pianola.

Bizarrely, a few years later when I was 3/o on the Unity, that self same pianola had migrated to there and was used a lot. I understand it was gifted to the company by some aristocratic lady to provide wholesome entertainment, which I guess it actually did.
Yes Nina we did leave the ship in kharg Island on 27/8/73 and the captains name was Boyd a very nice but timid man .When the music started to get to the raucous rugby songs he used to think you would leave the room but it was always him that left first . I did put on another post that I thought we were together on the Gunner but realise now it was the Argosy as there was a bus load of us went to the ship on a bus from Glasgow didnt we ? It was a short trip for both of us as I went home on compassionate leave after only a months trip. I was the lecky Alan Scott so our paths would not have crossed much. Obviously I recollect you now as you were the only women whilst i was one of many men.

retfordmackem
3rd September 2013, 01:24

Yes Nina we did leave the ship in kharg Island on 27/8/73 and the captains name was Boyd a very nice but timid man .When the music started to get to the raucous rugby songs he used to think you would leave the room but it was always him that left first . I did put on another post that I thought we were together on the Gunner but realise now it was the Argosy as there was a bus load of us went to the ship on a bus from Glasgow didnt we ?

ninabaker
5th September 2013, 00:23
Yes Nina we did leave the ship in kharg Island on 27/8/73 and the captains name was Boyd a very nice but timid man .When the music started to get to the raucous rugby songs he used to think you would leave the room but it was always him that left first . I did put on another post that I thought we were together on the Gunner but realise now it was the Argosy as there was a bus load of us went to the ship on a bus from Glasgow didnt we ?

That's correct - as I said, I think practically the entire crew was changed. I came up by sleeper from London and dropped my bags at some agents office and went in search of refreshment. I live in Glasgow now but then it was the first time I had been to Scotland and Glasgow then was a LOT different, dark dirty and somewhat offputting.

ben27
5th September 2013, 05:02
good day rushie.sm.1st.april,2006.21:08.re:britich argosy,i have been reading this old thread.what was the reason for the dockers breaking into the freezers,a then threw contents into river,regards ben27

Jac.
4th July 2014, 17:33
Hello.
Last week I bought a lifebuoy with the name British Argosy London on it. The owner told me he did found the buoy years ago on the beach from Ijmuiden (Holland) but didnít remember when exactly. Maybe one of the memeber of this forum can remember when this ship lost a buoy?

gadgee
4th July 2014, 21:53
Hello.
Last week I bought a lifebuoy with the name British Argosy London on it. The owner told me he did found the buoy years ago on the beach from Ijmuiden (Holland) but didn’t remember when exactly. Maybe one of the memeber of this forum can remember when this ship lost a buoy?

Hi Jac welcome to SN. This forum is about British Argosy built 1966 and scrapped 1976. There was another British Argosy with BP from 1991 to 2004.

Jac.
5th July 2014, 17:46
Hello Paul.

Thanks!
Hmmm....that makes it difficult. Does it help if I tell you the buoy is red and white ??

Regards
Jac.

Duncan112
5th July 2014, 17:53
If it's a Perrybuoy" there should be a date code on the area with the manufacturers imprint

ChasH
6th July 2014, 23:33
British Argosy off Cape Town, South Africa 01/01/1969 I joined her later in June 1969 Loch Long, Scotland as a second trip deck boy, and off to Kharg Island we went. I paid off in Tilbury 17th August 1969 and we where told it was the biggest ship that had ever sailed that far up the Thames, and my small claim to fame was that I was "on the Wheel" all the way.

was the British Admiral the same size as the Argosy I always thought they were sister ships about 100,000 tonners perhaps you could let me know all the best BB

retfordmackem
7th July 2014, 17:52
was the British Admiral the same size as the Argosy I always thought they were sister ships about 100,000 tonners perhaps you could let me know all the best BB

Sailed on both, according to discharge book ,Argosy was 40158:14 NRT-BHP 25000 and Admiral was 41365.17 NRT-BHP 25000.Sister ships they were.

gadgee
7th July 2014, 17:55
The Argosy had a larger deadweight tonnage of 112786; the Admiral was 111274 deadweight. Argosy length 921ft; Admiral 918ft.

retfordmackem
8th July 2014, 07:24
The Argosy had a larger deadweight tonnage of 112786; the Admiral was 111274 deadweight. Argosy length 921ft; Admiral 918ft.

Cheers for that Gadgee ,forgot to include DWT .Were they also the only 3.3 kv ships,in the fleet. I remember they wanted me to alternate ,because I had on been on Extra Higher voltage gear at Power stations and Pits.

ronaldo1312
9th July 2014, 11:36
There were a few places which were in the no-go category for BP tankers, it would void the insurance.