Re posting 35mm slides to digital

Norm
16th September 2009, 05:13
Re posting 35mm slides to digital. I've been doing this progessivly with my old slides, and its quite easy to put them on the computer using my Canon printer slide scanner, but I'm having trouble with getting them on to a disc that can be played on a DVD player to watch on TV. Does anyone know of a program that will handle this?
Then we can have the old slide shows in the sitting room again...

paisleymerchant
16th September 2009, 06:12
Norm
Found this on the net as far as I know these are all Freeware
Hope one of them helps

http://www.fileguru.com/apps/photo_to_dvd_slideshow_freeware

John Cassels
16th September 2009, 08:45
The equipment I bought over here ( make ZOLID bought from Aldi ) is a great
piece of kit. Makes digital copies of old 35mm slides and also negatives and
includes a program to copy directly to CD and USB stick as well as to computer hard drive.

K urgess
16th September 2009, 10:39
I've just loaded an ordinary backup CD into each of the DVD players attached to our TV in the lounge.
One of them came up with a menu and thumbnails and the other started an automatic slideshow.
Most DVD players have the facility to do this but some of them require a particular format of picture such a jpg.
Not showing off. The two DVD players are attached because one, a very cheap and nasty jobbie from Tesco's, is multi-region and the other is a VHS tape/DVD player so that I don't have to throw out all the old videotapes yet. (Sad)

So check your DVD player manual, Norm. It should tell you if it can play picture disks.
Cheers
Kris

K urgess
16th September 2009, 10:42
PS: Just noticed one of the backup disks was a DVD and the other a CD.
Both rewritable.

treeve
16th September 2009, 11:17
All I do is to copy whatever set of pictures I choose to DVD/CD and pop them in to my Philips DVP3120. It is very easy on the pocket at around 25 and plays anything except a drinks coaster.

Jim McFaul
16th September 2009, 11:34
Find that the Microsoft XP Mediacentre or Sonic DigitalMedia (if I want to include non photographic files) that came pre-loaded with mine from Dell does a good job. Jim.

K urgess
16th September 2009, 12:00
If the problem is actually getting them on to a DVD in the first place then you definitely need an extra program.
Windows doesn't actually acknowledge that DVDs exist so it has to be tricked. You can usually drag and drop to CDs but not DVDs
I use a program called ACDSee but any of the above mentioned will do the job quite well. The cheaper (preferably free) the better.

treeve
16th September 2009, 12:46
'Free Easy Burner' is by far the best .. and it is free, copy/burn files to any form of CD/DVD. Or so I have found. Very neat display, all simple to control, does exactly what it says on the can.

Norm
17th September 2009, 03:13
Thanks everyone for the good information. Chris, you're right, when all else fails read the instruction manuel LOL. I had been using Nero Burning Rom, but it just wasnt playing the game and wouldnt put the images on to DVDs. Dead easy to make a CD that plays back on the computer though. I'm looking forward to seeing the old slides on the big screen TV. Although it seems a bit of a bother nowadays, there was nothing like geting out the projector and having a slide night with the lights out.

K urgess
17th September 2009, 10:51
You could always use your magic lantern to project the slides on to the big TV screen, Norm. [=P]

Norm
17th September 2009, 11:32
Ah Ha thats not so silly Chris, because before I got the printer with the slide scanning feature I used to project the slides on to the wall and photo them with my digital camera and then download to the computer...now thats silly!

treeve
17th September 2009, 13:31
I used to try that as well, but pearling took over and left the pictures with shiny areas; I am currently trying to copy the microfilm of newspapers filmed of 1839; the only way is to set the digital to macro and place the lens directly on the film, the image is way to small for a scanner. Sometimes only ingenuity and determination gets it done...