Captain Lidstone

Johnnietwocoats
19th September 2009, 23:09
Does anyone know how many trips he did as Master and how long was he with the Company. I know he ended up as super in Calcutta and he was Master on the "Eastbank" July 1960 until July 61. Nobody seems to mention his name....
TC(Smoke)

Alistair Macnab
19th September 2009, 23:47
Johnnietwocoats......
Bob Lidstone eventually followed Captain Gale to the London office where he was Gales's Number two until he retired. He was a very friendly fellow and I liked his style. Unruffled and dependable. A perfect Number Two at the high end of the Bank Line management structure. I speak in the past tense because I knew him then. For all I know he may still be alive.
Kind regards,
Alistair from Houston TX.

johnb42
20th September 2009, 00:12
Met him twice back in '73. The first occasion was on the Shirrabank doing repairs on the Tyne, then later the same year on the Elmbank in Liverpool when we were taken on Timecharter to T&J Harrison.
My own recollections of the man are much the same as Alistair's - quiet, unassuming, unflappable and a thoroughly decent person.

Hamish Mackintosh
20th September 2009, 04:05
OK seeing as the subject is on a "lost" master, anyone know what ever became of Captain Hale,"Freddy". Have only seen him mentioned once on the Bank line thread, and I know for a fact he sailed on more than one" Banker"

ernhelenbarrett
20th September 2009, 04:57
On the subject of "lost" Masters, does anyone know what happened to Capt.
Owen Owens, sailed with him on the old Tweedbank/GBYC then bumped into him
again years later when I was at VIS and he was Marine Super in Sydney NSW
Ern Barrett

Johnnietwocoats
20th September 2009, 09:31
Johnnietwocoats......
Bob Lidstone eventually followed Captain Gale to the London office where he was Gales's Number two until he retired. He was a very friendly fellow and I liked his style. Unruffled and dependable. A perfect Number Two at the high end of the Bank Line management structure. I speak in the past tense because I knew him then. For all I know he may still be alive.
Kind regards,
Alistair from Houston TX.

Thanks Alistair. He was my first Captain on the "Eastbank". As a first trip Apprentice he was like a God to me. I think that was his first trip as Master. He was obviously a Bank Line Apprentice who came through the ranks....

I saw him later when I was a Senior Apprentice on the "Streambank" in Calcutta. Coincidently I was sailing with the "Syd Mallory" who was Mate, and was the Mate on the "Eastbank" on my first trip.....

Kind regards from Vancouver BC Canada

TC (Smoke)

Ben Masey
20th September 2009, 13:10
Hi Bankliners,
Capt Lidstone always sends apologies for not attending the Bank Line Reunions.
Capt Owen Owens,super in Sydney was killed in a car crash early 70's
or earlier.
Regards,
Ben Masey

David E
21st September 2009, 00:21
OK seeing as the subject is on a "lost" master, anyone know what ever became of Captain Hale,"Freddy". Have only seen him mentioned once on the Bank line thread, and I know for a fact he sailed on more than one" Banker"

Myrtlebank 1949-1950: I've seen him mentioned somewhere on the threads as Master of a "Sam" in later years but nowhere else.

Regards

Hamish Mackintosh
21st September 2009, 03:32
Yes David I sailed with him on the "Ivybank" ex "Sam Yorke" but have only seen him mentioned on one other" Banker"