Where have all the Deck Crew gone ?

astew3184
20th September 2009, 19:04
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where have all the Deck Crew gone?

I was at Alfred Holts Deck Boy Training School 16/12/1964-30/01/1965.
Then on these Ships
Helenus 28/01/65-10/02/65
Perseus 16/02/65-24/02/65
Machon 05/03 65-15/03/65
Demodicus 19/03/65-19/03/65
Dolius 19/03/65-09/06/65
Myrmidon 4/7/65-31/10/65
Demodocus 19/11/65-11/02/66. 21/02/66-01/03/66
Dolius 04/03/66-12/03/66
Neleus 15/04/66-10/05/66
Memnon 13/08/66-27/10/66. 28/11/66-03/03/67
Does anyone remember me or have any photographs?
Discharge Book R805875.

Andrew Clark Stewart ( Andy ) (Jock )
astew3184

vasco
22nd September 2009, 08:46
Sorry I can't help you with the days gone by, but a modern (and true) answer to your question would be 'back to Poland'.

Pat Kennedy
22nd September 2009, 17:51
Andy,
I started in Blueys six years before you and sailed in three of those ships you listed, but not at the same time as you.
There are other BF deck crowd on the site, but few and far between I'm afraid. I've only come across one I sailed with.
Best regards,
Pat

tommy
23rd September 2009, 12:57
Hi Andy: Seems we just missed each other on a few occasions. I was at the Blue funnel training school, two courses before your-self.
August 10th--September 19th 1964.

I was also on the Perseus home trade still part of my training 15/10/64--29/10/64. I then done two trips deep sea on her. 6/11/64--7/2/65
and 5/3/65--8/6/65.

Looking at your time on her you took her round the land while I was on leave. I was also on the Memnon 13/1/66--25/1/66.

I only have vague memories of the training school but do remember the very strict instructor Mr Obrien. Whilst doing the training Blue funnel paid for the lads from out of town to stay in the youth hostel on whetstone lane.

Regards tommy

astew3184
23rd September 2009, 19:50
Hi Tommy,

Yes I stayed in the YMCA at Whetstone Lane, Birkenhead,there is a good website about The Blue Funnel Line at www.rhiw.com it has some photos of the old training school its worth a look.
Regards
Andy

astew3184
23rd September 2009, 19:53
Thanks for the reply Pat have you had a look at the website www.rhiw.com its brought back some memories.
Regards
Andy

Pat Kennedy
24th September 2009, 07:34
Thanks for the reply Pat have you had a look at the website www.rhiw.com (http://www.rhiw.com) its brought back some memories.
Regards
Andy

Andy,
Yes, I was looking at it only last week, I go to the Rhiw site quite frequently, it is very interesting. I saw Captain Harris in one photo of the training school, and OB in another.
I was on the second course at that school in November/December 1958, and sailed from Birkenhead in the Achilles on Christmas Eve, my co-peggy was another first tripper, Peter Rust from Fleetwood.
Best Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

tommy
24th September 2009, 20:23
Hi Andy and Pat:
First Andy. Many thanks for the link to the rhiw website.I have only had time to go through part of it, but so far impressed. It brought back some fond memories to see the building of the training school in Oddyssey. I still have a photo somewhere of the class taken on the roof.

Pat: Have you any information on the Blue Funnel Association? I have tried to google it but it keeps coming up web page unavailable.

Regards Tommy

Pat Kennedy
24th September 2009, 21:26
Tommy,
Someone asked that question a few months ago on this site, but I cant remember what the answer was! very frustrating.
All I know is the secretary of the BF Association is Dave Molyneux who lives in Wallasey. Dave was in the catering dept, I was with him on that Memnon in 1960.
That I'm afraid. is all I know about it, but I'm sure someone here will help.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

peterreid54
19th October 2009, 16:08
just been to the annual bfa dinner at the adelphi over 120 people attended
dave molyneux number is 01516380544 he is the secretary

tony poutch
29th December 2009, 00:13
anyone remember these lads,Peter Fanning, lampy on IXION ,Dave Cave ,Wally Jones,John Perry (HOLLYHEAD)Kevin Sealy ,Daisy Canavan,Phil Devitt,Harry and Jim Hunter (WICKLOW )Mick The Bull ,Bosun Diomed(69)Yorkshire,

PADDY
6th January 2010, 10:37
Hi Tony,
Would that be Kevin Sealy from Bray, Co Wicklow?
Sailed with him on the Elpenor round about '62.

tony poutch
7th January 2010, 16:59
Hi Tony,
Would that be Kevin Sealy from Bray, Co Wicklow?
Sailed with him on the Elpenor round about '62.
That'sis the same Kevin ,sadly Kevin passed away .I first met Kevin in Singapore in 67 and even though we lived near him the next time we met was outside the local school waiting to pick our grandkids ,we swopped many a yarn then .Sadly, Kevin passed away in the mid 90s.I used to visit him in the hospital,he loved to talk of his time in Blueys.

Pat Thompson
7th January 2010, 19:08
Greetings,

Where have all the Deck Crew gone;
Long time passing,
Long time ago.
Down the Dole Office (Along with the Sparkies, Engine Room and Catering Crew) everyone.
When will the bloody politicians ever learn, when will they ever learn.

Look Here (http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_steamers.htm)

PADDY
27th January 2010, 19:47
[QUOTE=tony poutch;391736]That'sis the same Kevin ,sadly Kevin passed away .I first met Kevin in Singapore in 67 and even though we lived near him the next time we met was outside the local school waiting to pick our grandkids ,we swopped many a yarn then .Sadly, Kevin passed away in the mid 90s.I used to visit him in the hospital,he loved to talk of his time in Blueys.[/QUO

Hi Tony,
While we're on the subject, know Matt Roach from Wexford ?
Nice guy, with him on Demodocus. early '60s.

eldersuk
27th January 2010, 23:09
Re. Blue Funnel Association.

Dave Molyneux (Secretary)
375 Leasowe Road
Moreton
Merseyside CH46 2RE

tony poutch
31st January 2010, 00:09
[QUOTE=tony poutch;391736]That'sis the same Kevin ,sadly Kevin passed away .I first met Kevin in Singapore in 67 and even though we lived near him the next time we met was outside the local school waiting to pick our grandkids ,we swopped many a yarn then .Sadly, Kevin passed away in the mid 90s.I used to visit him in the hospital,he loved to talk of his time in Blueys.[/QUO

Hi Tony,
While we're on the subject, know Matt Roach from Wexford ?
Nice guy, with him on Demodocus. early '60s.

Hi Paddy,
I did a trip with Matt when I was j.o.s he was an out and out gent ,I remember an ab who was always shouting the odds ,Matt told me to pay him no heed ,he reckoned a man who had to keep shouting ,lacked confidence in his own ability .

Succour
31st January 2010, 16:19
Peter Fanning, lampy on IXION rings a bell, around 1970 as far as I can recall.
Always OK for a chat and a beer.
Succour.

jmcg
1st February 2010, 20:15
Sailed with Mattie on Autolycus or Antilochus (67 -68). George Birch and Tony Casson as bosun respectively. Extremely happy but hard working ships.

BW

J

tony poutch
2nd February 2010, 00:15
Sailed with Mattie on Autolycus or Antilochus (67 -68). George Birch and Tony Casson as bosun respectively. Extremely happy but hard working ships.

BW

J

I Joined Antilochus on 2nd Jan 68 J F K was the bosun,I think I was with you on Menelaus in July 68.

jmcg
2nd February 2010, 10:05
You sure were Tony. Lofty Reynolds as Bosun. Apart from LR and yourself I cannot remember the names of any others, although an Irish AB called Bullock or Ballack comes to mind

Never liked the M class and only managed one trip.

JFK - well now we could start a thread on its own to discuss that one.

Will send you a PM when I get a free moment.

BW

J

Pat Kennedy
2nd February 2010, 11:14
You sure were Tony. Lofty Reynolds as Bosun. Apart from LR and yourself I cannot remember the names of any others, although an Irish AB called Bullock or Ballack comes to mind

Never liked the M class and only managed one trip.

JFK - well now we could start a thread on its own to discuss that one.

Will send you a PM when I get a free moment.

BW

J

John,
I'm with you on the 'M' boats, they were heavy on deck, and difficult to work. There was just not enough space around the winches, as if too much gear was crammed into the available space.
The accomodation wasn't too bad though.
I was in all of them except Machaon.
As for JFK, I never sailed with him, or indeed heard much about him good or bad. he cant possibly have been in the same league as Jack Cleary.
Regards,
Pat (Thumb)

The Dog
17th July 2010, 01:52
The only people in the same league as Cleary were The Bangor Bull and Joe Kavanagh. The Queen of the East, Peleus, was known as Joe Kavanaghs yatch for years. Do I know you I sailed in Achilles on Christmas Eve, Buffalo Bill Carmody was BoBo Ginger Pollitt Lamptrimmer I was chippy, Dereck Lawton was daywork with Brian Grainger, Jimmy Frackleton was in the watch with Mick Dutton (crossed the bar Last year) Hooky Walker was o/s Alec Stone Cook, Johnny Beglin was chief Steward and Digby Jones was the Old Man but I might be mistaken, it could have been Christmas 1959. Did a lot of Coasting, hated the M boats with those horrible McGregor hatches. Did Glasgow fortnightly, never battened down once, there just was not time, Just left the hatches up on the stops. got away with it for six years. The hatches always leaked. Went back to sea in a Victory ship, supposed to be punishnent, it wasn't, she was so easy to work, my best ship, the handiest ships in the fleet. The coasting bosuns were all semi retired or convalescent, Harry Hands, Harry Evans, Harry Bollins, Jack Cleary, George O'Niel, Theo the dutchman, Mick Finley the Wallesey Yank, and Ned Phillips.

Pat Kennedy
17th July 2010, 19:20
Chippy on the Achilles was George Kalitkin,George lived in a sheltered housing bungalow in Upton the last time I met him about 15 yrs ago. His son, also George, was a shipwright in Lairds.
Bosun , as you say was Carmody, Lampy, I cant remember his surname, first name was Bob, an old geezer with skin like well tanned leather
Micky Dutton was there,(sorry to hear of his death, he was a good bloke)Aussie Burke was daywork AB,Ricky Sayle, Kenny Bostock, Runcorn Griffiths were some more of the deck crowd.
Alec Stone was cook, and Beglin the ch steward.
I knew all those coasting bosuns, Harry Hands I was with deep sea on the Memnon. Ned Phillips was a good old chap, looked more like an old Welsh sheep farmer than a sailor.
Regards,
Pat

The Dog
17th July 2010, 23:31
Your right Pat I relieved George Kalitkin in mid 1959, must be the voyage after you left her. Ned Phillips is perfectly discribed as a Welsh sheep farmer. He was not fit to coast any more so went to Brocklebanks as a quatermaster. I did leave out possibly the most flamboyant of all Blue Funnel Bosuns, "The Omnipotent One, God, alias Harry Ellis and he looked like God on the Sistine Chape ceiling. He coasted Aeneus up to Riga with a tank of Palm Oil, it took them 19 days to discharge it. The 4th Mate was writing a book and Harry was giving him a hard time over it. Could he have been Richard Woodman, you wheelhouse dwellers may be able to advise. Regards Pat, Pat

Pat Kennedy
18th July 2010, 11:51
Pat,
George Kalitkin was a good chippie, and a nice guy. As PO's peggy homeward bound on that Achilles, I had to clean his room as well as that of the bosun and the lampy. George kept his room pristine, unlike Bill Carmody, who was a bit untidy to say the least, and a grumpy old sod to boot.
Out of all those China bosuns mentioned here and elsewhere, Bob Parsons was in my view, the best of them all. A skilful seaman, he was also a good teacher and he led by example. I was with him in the Maron which we joined in Caledon Shipyard in Dundee for sea trials. Apparently Bob had been there for several weeks during her fitting out, and he had altered the layout of all the lead blocks on top of the masthouses, making the job a lot easier than on the other 'M' class ships.
Next to him in my estimation were Stan Murray and Vic Blower. Vic later became shore bosun in Birkenhead.
Best regards,
Pat

jmcg
18th July 2010, 14:07
Theo -the Dutchman Bosun - was he named Van de Bloome? There was another one also -"Dutchie Dietsel . The latter may have been named Theo.

Neither impressed or influenced me!

Can either of you- Pat or The Dog remember a West Indian or Barbadian chippy on the A class. He was on Autolycus with me (1967) with George Birch as Bosun and Fred Ball as Lampie.

He would work day and night and could make anything.

BW

J (Gleam)(Gleam)

Pat Kennedy
18th July 2010, 19:06
John,
No, I'm sorry I dont remember that chippie, in fact,come to think of it, I dont ever recall sailing with a black rating or PO in any ship, except Terry Kami who was an AB in the Ivernia.
In the China boats, in my time, deck crowds were either exclusively white, or either all Chinese or all Malays. (Norman Wong was the only exception).
Some ships had a Chinese assistant carpenter called the 'Tomalo'
Ive never thought about this before, and it seems strange, because Liverpool has always had a large population of black lads, why didnt any of them go to sea?
Regards,
Pat

Thats another Story
18th July 2010, 19:12
pat is norman still with us? he was a good teacher to us {young fellas} that's what he used to call us(Hippy)

Pat Kennedy
18th July 2010, 19:22
pat is norman still with us? he was a good teacher to us {young fellas} that's what he used to call us(Hippy)
John,
I dont know. I believe he anglicised his surname at some point, and I recently saw a photo of him in the gallery that, I think, Peter Trodden had posted.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Thats another Story
18th July 2010, 19:35
Thanks pat just found it{norman morley}. john

tom roberts
18th July 2010, 22:35
Never sailed in blue flu but my cousin Derek Roberts did unfortunatly he was killed in Glasgow when he fell down the hold, another bluey deck rating who was a good pal was Pete Hambleton who sadly passed away some years ago. Any one remember them?.

jmcg
19th July 2010, 18:52
Tom

Was the fatality on Atreus? Mervyn Davies was another who, I believe died in similar circumstances.

BW

J

Steve Birkenhead
19th July 2010, 20:25
The chippy that JCMG is referring to is probably Don Usher, a Barbadian, a great bloke and had his job off to a tee. I was deck boy/ JOS with him and Trevor Roberts as bosun on Protesilaus.

tom roberts
19th July 2010, 20:33
Hi J.M.C.G. I dont know what ship he was on but was about 1968on a around the land job I believe.

jmcg
19th July 2010, 21:12
Steve

That's him ! Thank you very much. The name has always evaded me but now that you have recalled it it rekindles more memories of why he was called "round the clock Don"

I too sailed on Protesilaus but Don was not chippy then.

Again- many thanks for the response.

BW

J (Gleam)(Gleam)

jmcg
19th July 2010, 21:15
Tom

I guess it was Atreus in '68 in Glasgow.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

The Dog
19th July 2010, 21:19
The Chippy, Donald Usher was not a West Indian but was from Bermuda. He looked slightly tanned. He married one of the Vernons Girls who later became the pop group The Ladybirds. He took her to live in Paradise (Bermuda) and we thought, "thats the last we will see of Don." Six months later he was back---she was homesick---for Bootle---it does happen and it is a bad condition. At that time you had to put up a bond of $1 million before you could to settle in Bermuda, Don didn't have too, being born there. He lived in Lydiat later.
Barry Wong was another Chippy. No relation to the sailor brothers. He served his time in Odyssy Works as a shipwright, (you had to to be a ships chippy)and was in Agalampus as carpenter, trapped in the Bitter Lakes. He is now Master Shipwright in Cammell Lairds. The Liverpool born Chinese could choose to go to sea in Chinese or "white" crew ships. The money was less, but not much. In the chinese crew ships the crew were allowed "Pigion," that is to trade and had cargo space in one of the locker's. I think they had to pay freight and the goods and they were on the ships manifest. You will all remember the firemen bringing huge boxes of prawn crackers on board in Java, and carboys of soy sauce in Japan. These were unobtainable in Europe and the US and they had a profitable business. The white crowd and officers were not allowed this privilage but the "old man" got the freight on the deck cargo of vegetables carried from Hong Kong to Singapore. A lot of the Liverpool chinese coasted the ships and they were the permanent crews of the "Laid up" ships by King Harry Ferry Falmouth. They were that well established that they started chinese restaurants which is why you can get Scouse in Falmouth. They raided the local oyster beds "out of season," and there were ambulances full of Scouse belly aches headed for hozzys all over Cornwall.

The Dog
19th July 2010, 21:21
Don was perpetual motion and at the other extreme was Manyana.

Cutsplice
19th July 2010, 21:34
Harry Henshaw ex Bosun and Shore Bosun (Blue Flue) after Alfred Holts was a rigger for Cubro Scratton then another company then retired, now living in Ashton-in-Makerfield and in good health. Harry had a son Barry who served his engineering aprenticeship with Holts now living in the Portsmouth area and lecturing in the area.
The above may be of interest to ex Holts men.

Pat Kennedy
20th July 2010, 08:45
A lot of the Liverpool chinese coasted the ships and they were the permanent crews of the "Laid up" ships by King Harry Ferry Falmouth. They were that well established that they started chinese restaurants which is why you can get Scouse in Falmouth. They raided the local oyster beds "out of season," and there were ambulances full of Scouse belly aches headed for hozzys all over Cornwall.

Pat,
I remember with great affection those Liverpool Chinese who coasted in Blueys in the catering dept.
They were a great crowd, more scouse than a scouser, and really great to go ashore with because they knew all the best bars for pulling the girls,
Their leader was Ronnie Chan, known to them as 'Chungi'. Ronnie was a Chinese version of Errol Flynn, and had women falling over him from Glasgow to Amsterdam. If you went ashore with Ronnie, even on a wet Sunday night in Glasgow, you would end up at a party.
They had an English Chief cook named Tommy Maher who used to sail with them a lot. Tommy learned how to play Mah Jong and would play it all night long with the Chinese greasers down aft, and apparently serious money changed hands.
Tommy Maher had a son named Aiden who played at full back for Everton in the sixties.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

The Dog
20th July 2010, 10:41
The Chans were numerous, influential and tough. Many of them boxed in a club in the South End. The nickname Chungi seemed to belong to all of them. They favoured a milk bar in Govan where their scouse cheek and a touch of the exotic gave them a big pull with the local girls. This did not go well with the local hoods and one night someone went through a plate glass window. The police came onboard and took away young Tony 16 for questioning. Later I was in the galley clearing a scupper and they were all in there discussing the fight asked why he did it Tony said "he called me Mickey Mouse".
They then had to tell the cook who did not speak English who replied with a volley of chinese that he had no cause to complian as he really did look like Micky Mouse. This had them all in bulk.

Pat Kennedy
20th July 2010, 11:05
I heard years later that Ronnie Chan had committed suicide. I never found out why, and it seems inexplicable that such a larger than life character should choose to do this.

As for being tough, they could have taught Jackie Chan a thing or two about street fighting. Another good reason for going ashore in their company.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
20th July 2010, 12:40
I will ask Richard next time I see him.

TonyAllen
20th July 2010, 13:22
As said on another thread somewhere with you Pat Norman Wong did change his name and took I believe his mothers maiden name. He moved out to to near the western approaches in norris green last time I met him he was coasting that was before he became bosun.Bill davies had a good opinion of him as a bosun,I dont remember the bosuns name on the Pyrrhus but he made me a guitar bag out of canvas on the way back from japan,Palm and needle job, by the time I sold it was well worn and had names of people who became stars later on,as I said before Norman tought me the basic chords to play.Alf Briarley was chef and was never out of the bosuns cabin with the lampy,captains I sailed with the big man Cap Hole 3 trips Blakey 1 sanderson 2 Wilkes 1.remember a deckie called Mciver who had a mate who was a little round dumpy fella both from B/head I also had a bit of a fisticuffs with a deckie who was i think dutch or scandanavian over playing records in the aft saloon where the record player was,Norman and mac intervened and no harm was done this was on the Elpenor 1955
on the Pyrrhus in 56 the canal was closed so we had to go round the cape with extended the trip an extra 19 days and only one day in cape town so it was a very good payoff on the 1st of december.I hope this is not boring if it is I'm sure you will let me know Regards Tony

Pat Kennedy
20th July 2010, 13:43
Hi Tony,
I remember getting a record by the Everly Bros called 'Temptation'. and playing it very loudly, over and over in the sailors rec room on the Peleus while I was scrubbing out the cross alleyway at about 09.00 one morning in Glasgow. I was peggy at the time. Well, I had forgotten that the 4 to 8 gangwayman was turned in, and he came storming along the alleyway, kicked over my bucket of soapy water and grabbed the record off the turntable and flung it into the murky water of KGV dock, shouting, "Temptatation?, I'm bloody tempted to throw you over the wall as well, you little bast**d"
His name was McIvor, and he came from Birkenhead, I wonder if he was the same bloke
Best regards,
Pat

TonyAllen
20th July 2010, 15:07
It probably was, he said he would stay on her for as long as he could becouse he did not fancy the pool,with the bluies as you know it was a sort of closed shop and you could sail with the same crowd on most ships it was the same with the catering crowd I sailed with,after shore leave we worked the shore gang storing and getting the fridges ect clean, I guess you did the same with the deck gear.AS said on the other thresd the chinease coast gang were a law onto themselves.it was the Chans the chins and the Wah's as soon as we docked they were into the lasaret to see what the chinease crew had brought back mostly spices for the resturants they had open in the area around
duke street.As the dog said the deck cargo to singers was organised as a bung and we also filled up the fridges and veg locker to the gunnels and we in the galley received are share.It reminds me now that Bill johnson would be very stingy with the butter outward
to hong but the surplus would be shipped ashore at night to neferious individuals and bill would drop a little folded paper in your jacket while working the next day and you would find 50 or so dollars which helped your day off. Oh great days for a lad from a family of 5 brothers and 5 sisters. Independence and cash in pocket good food and good mates Nostalgia it certainly is Regards Tony

Pat Kennedy
20th July 2010, 15:14
Tony,
Those Liverpool Chinese coasting crowd were certainly a class act. Never a dull moment when they were on board.
I first saw "the dance of the flaming a***holes performed by one of their number on the after welldeck of the Jason.
Best Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

The Dog
20th July 2010, 16:16
Thats coming it a bit strong. I thought only scaleys from Amlwch were sanctified to do that. I did see one of the Williams boys get completly around the rec room of a P boat
without getting burned.
This could be a whole new thread, performances and variations of the Dance of the Flaming Ar--hole, the one I am familiar with involved setting fire a tail of loo roll between the cheeks and getting around the Rec room without touching the deck. What about the close relation, Spreaders I have seen, these were a feature of the Bluey's a long time back, well before the word mooning was coined.

Pat Kennedy
20th July 2010, 18:35
All hands to the rail when passing another Bluey at sea, and drop your pants in salute. A mad custom which I believe was unique to Blue Funnel.
Pat

jmcg
20th July 2010, 19:24
We sailed in a more refined and dignified era Pat.!!!!

Such practices were reserved for the Yankee reconnaissance aeros that flew past us in the South China sea.

Got closer to them homeward bound when we had a full hatch cover cargo of light Christmas junk from Hong Kong for FWW (Woolworths).

A shrewd Liverpool chap pointed out to me that cases with shipping marks endorsed FWW had " swag worthy of attention" within .

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Pat Kennedy
20th July 2010, 21:24
Lots of swag to be found while hatch cleaning round the land. The dockers would doss gear they couldnt carry off and leave it for us. Loads of Hong Kong gear like jeans and shirts and that sort of thing were to be discovered tucked away around the tween decks in particular.
Pat(Thumb)

Thats another Story
20th July 2010, 21:29
i remember all the cheap toys collected from the hatches was given to the local children's hospital by the padre save them getting dumped. john

Peter Trodden
21st July 2010, 19:05
I,m enjoying this thread about coasting the Blueys (I did 6)it evoked many happy memories.Then The Dog mentioned spreaders,I could'nt stop laughing remembering a day many years ago. Had just coasted the Peleus,29Aug,1956, we where dodging off B-Head lock entrance waiting our turn with Clan and City boats. It was a beautiful summers day,and the river was busy with Big ships waiting to go on the Landing Stage,and the Ferry-boat Skippers use to go very close to the waiting Ships to give the passengers a treat. Most of deck crew were working in shorts and T shirts, a Ferry came to pass very close,thats when a mad Welsh man(Jester)(Glyn William) jumps up on the Bulwarks,grabbed the stays and gave a great spreader.[=P] This act was infectious,especially among us junior rating,the after deck was full of Moonies,It liven those ferry passengers up after a long day in the office.:sweat: A few days later I met the Bosun(Joe Martin)who told me that the incident had been reported to India Building,and then to Mr Greenwood who refused to repremand anyone saying it was just high jinks. Why a Bosun would explane this to a Lowly JOS,well he was a mate of my Dads and was in our house. And just to end this,the Superior spreader,moony ect,is the Maori Farewell,when given correctly I've seen on lookers faint.(Ouch) ttfn. Pete.

Cutsplice
21st July 2010, 22:41
I recall when serving on the Ivernia while berthed in New York as one of the Cunard passenger vessels was about to depart(cant recall the name), all of us deck crowd were on the poop watching her sail. The Ivernia had two mooring capstans on the poop and the power switches were in the steering flat, someone suggested that they should/or someone should display a spreader. One of us put power to the capstans, a guy who I will not name, he was a young EDH from the Isle of Skye decided to be the clever guy to do his piece standing on one of the capstans while it was revolving.
This he did but sadly on the outboard side of the passenger ship viewing us were some nuns and the remainder children, it appeared all others were on the inboard side waving goodbye to relatives and friends, leaving only the nuns and children on the outboard side. As one can appreciate in New York the distance to the next pier is quite close, one could almost throw a heaving line between the vessels.
As soon as we had re-entered the accomodation after witnessing the sailing, the Bosun arrived and informed the guy in question that the master wished to see him. After seeing the master he informed us that he would be discharged from the vessel on arrival in Liverpool and his dischage book would contain a DR for conduct. He did get discharged and his DR as promised, he tried all sorts to have his comittee hearing held in Liverpool to no avail, he had to return to Glasgow, never knew the final result.
I thought he was quite a decent guy, but his actions on that day I cannot condone as high jinks or any other description it was just totally inappropiate and indecent, the majority of us as deck crowd had similar feelings.
Have seen spreaders displayed in dockside pubs which in some cases were basically knocking shops that had a licence to sell alcohol and one could assume everyone present were 18 or over. It was more appropiate in circumstances similar to that but I always found them to be distasteful, today I would suggest do do one in public one would be charged with indecent exposure and perhaps rightly so.